Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Shovel Knight: King of Cards: Maybe I'm just rusty but the platforming is *extremely* punishing with the new moveset. Your main attack is a horizontal charge, which you have to account for if you want to hit an enemy over the many bottomless pits. A successful charge is followed by an aerial twirl, which can be followed with an airborne charge and so on. It is very easy to gently caress up when you're surrounded by hazards and I find myself losing every bit of treasure I find.

You can cancel the charge at any moment by pressing the opposite direction, even before you start moving. I found him easier to control than Plague Knight, at least. I could never get a grip on those controls enough to play through it, even though I like all the rest of the Shovel Knight content so much. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The capture missions are short, aren’t as constant as people seem to think, and are always predictable by a giant bar in the center of your screen filling - they’re clumsy, yeah, but they’re obviously minor setpieces intended as sort of miniboss-equivalents.

The real thing dragging FC5 down in my mind was the abysmal way the skill tree was implemented, but nobody seems to even care about that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crash Team Racing: The other modes like Capture the Flag or the Crystal Challenges really need a bigger area to collect stuff. You gotta drive absolutely straight into whatever if you want it to count.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crowetron posted:

Anyway, here's an unrelated annoying game thing: the platforming based secrets in Painkiller. Bunny-hopping around an arena evading hoards of monsters while blasting them with electro-shurikens is fun, but the jumping mechanics are nowhere near tight enough to make most of the secret hunting feel rewarding. Most of the time I'll spot a power-up tucked away in a rafter or whatever and not bother with it because I don't want to spend 10 to 15 minutes wrestling with the physics engine.

It's likely a non-issue nowadays but also the physics are tied to framerate, so if you're not running the game perfectly some of the more fiddly jumps are outright impossible to make.

It seems like a lot of classic or classic-derived shooters have an obsession with cramming way too many complicated and heavily obfuscated secrets into their maps. Makes me miss the days of pressing the use key on a slightly discolored wall, revealing a closet with some goodies in it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

It's likely a non-issue nowadays but also the physics are tied to framerate, so if you're not running the game perfectly some of the more fiddly jumps are outright impossible to make.

It seems like a lot of classic or classic-derived shooters have an obsession with cramming way too many complicated and heavily obfuscated secrets into their maps. Makes me miss the days of pressing the use key on a slightly discolored wall, revealing a closet with some goodies in it.

Wall-humping is a time honored tradition :hmmyes:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wall humping secrets annoy me because even in games where they are used correctly like Doom (discolored wall, odd man out part of a pattern of decorations, items form an arrow when viewed from a certain angle) there just as many games where they give no hints and the wall looks no different from its surroundings... like also Doom

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Halo: Reach has so many little things dragging it down that I just can't finish it. Like, okay, it's a slower paced game with a far higher TTK than Doom, I can get that. The vehicle controls suck. You can't look around while driving. It's like no one's capable of doing a drat shoulder check. I just want to be able to look around and see if I'm about to get hosed up by something coming up behind me. Getting forced out of zoom by getting shot is irritating. Mouse 1 dropping the flag in CTF instead of swinging it to hit people is a pain in the rear end. The big dudes with the cannons that fire green poo poo that show up in the Sword Base fuckin suck to fight. I used up pretty much all the ammo on the stage and they still didn't die.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

food court bailiff posted:

The capture missions are short, aren’t as constant as people seem to think, and are always predictable by a giant bar in the center of your screen filling - they’re clumsy, yeah, but they’re obviously minor setpieces intended as sort of miniboss-equivalents.

The real thing dragging FC5 down in my mind was the abysmal way the skill tree was implemented, but nobody seems to even care about that.

The capture missions were annoying as hell because it totally disrupts trying to make your way around the map in an efficient manner. Like you wanna hit up some cool-looking point of interest but WHOOPS you just got too many Capture Points and now you have to endure some boring 15-minute escape room sequence that dumps you out half a map away. I once literally got grabbed out of the airplane I was piloting somehow and had to replay that entire mission because it resulted in me failing. That's just bad game design.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

I found the skill tree to be an improvement over 3 and 4. Those games had a dumb XP system that meant unless you were ghosting all the outposts with headshots/takedowns you were screwing yourself out of level ups big time. The challenges/prepper stashes were way better, it didnt feel like I was being corralled into a certain play style besides “oh, I want that ammo upgrade, I’ll do a prepper stash/go hunting for deer/pop twenty guys with an assault rifle”.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

The capture missions were annoying as hell because it totally disrupts trying to make your way around the map in an efficient manner. Like you wanna hit up some cool-looking point of interest but WHOOPS you just got too many Capture Points and now you have to endure some boring 15-minute escape room sequence that dumps you out half a map away. I once literally got grabbed out of the airplane I was piloting somehow and had to replay that entire mission because it resulted in me failing. That's just bad game design.

The whole appeal of games like Farcry is getting lost in the shaggy dog story of trudging off the beaten path because you spotted a collectible, then trekking a bit further because there's some goodie boxes right there, then some enemies wander by and you get into a fight. Then you realize you're right outside an outpost. But then a convoy rolls through and you realize you can probably kill two birds with one stone. And so on and so on.

Being forcibly dragged out of that mode of gameplay so the game can inflict plot on you sounds obnoxious. That format would make marginally more sense in something like Wildlands where the whole point is to work up to a showdown with a regional cartel boss by dismantling their operation piece of by piece. ...Which I guess FC5 tries to do in a condensed way with the different cult lieutenants, but the franchise has never been anywhere near as objective-focused.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Dec 13, 2019

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

John Murdoch posted:

The whole appeal of games like Farcry is getting lost in the shaggy dog story of trudging off the beaten path because you spotted a collectible, then trekking a bit further because there's some goodie boxes right there, then some enemies wander by and you get into a fight. Then you realize you're right outside an outpost. But then a convoy rolls through and you realize you can probably kill two birds with one stone. And so on and so on.

Being forcibly dragged out of that mode of gameplay so the game can inflict plot on you sounds obnoxious. That format would make marginally more sense in something like Wildlands where the whole point is to work up to a showdown with a regional cartel boss by dismantling their operation piece of by piece. ...Which I guess FC5 tries to do in a condensed way with the different cult lieutenants, but the franchise has never been anywhere near as objective-focused.

Only game I've ever liked the capture mechanic in was the original Knights Of The Old Republic. It didn't matter what order you decided to tackle the planets in, on your way to visit your fourth planet you were intercepted and captured. It wasn't random, and it really didn't interrupt game play as you were already basically fast-traveling when it happens.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I mean it's not random in FC5 either, it's when you fill up the chaos(?) bar. So typically after finishing an objective, you'll get a message saying that there are groups hunting for you. It's not like you'll be in the middle of a base trying to stealth it when suddenly you're kidnapped.

Edit: Chaos is from Just Cause. No idea what the bar was. Control or something?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Testekill posted:

Arbitrary capture of the PC is a storytelling crutch that is never executed decently.

I respectfully disagree, and offer Bloodborne as evidence. A giant cloaked man knocks you out, and drags you away in a huge sack, and imprisons you in a dingy jail cell. Possibly for sacrifice, possibly for experimentation, who knows. Either way, I thought it fit very well with the mood and narrative.

For content: Something that really burns me is potentially game-breaking bugs that aren't patched out, even years after release. I know, this is where PC gamers chime in about being tHe MaStEr RaCe :smug: for being able to find fan made patches.
I was playing Mad Max on PS4, and one of the side activities that you can do is using your dog to sniff out buried landmines for defusal. When you defuse landmines, it lowers the overall Threat Level in that area, which unlock upgrades for your car.
So I'm rolling around with the dog, hunting for the final minefield that I have to clear in order to drop the threat to zero and unlock a bunch of sweet toys. The dog starts barking and pointing me towards a spot, but the mine refuses to appear so that I can defuse it. Even trying to drive over the spot with a car doesn't detonate anything. So here I am with an invisible mine that can't be removed, and no way to finish lowering the threat level. I checked online, and I'm not the only one to have the same issue, so I have to assume that the developers would be aware of the issue, but it hasn't been fixed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

I mean it's not random in FC5 either, it's when you fill up the chaos(?) bar. So typically after finishing an objective, you'll get a message saying that there are groups hunting for you. It's not like you'll be in the middle of a base trying to stealth it when suddenly you're kidnapped.

Edit: Chaos is from Just Cause. No idea what the bar was. Control or something?

Resistance level. My big problem wasn't that, but that once you liberate an area the amount of enemies goes waaaaay down, so you don't end up in random firefights nearly as often. I felt that FC5 had juuuust the right level of random enemy encounters to make traversing from my fishing spot to somewhere else involving, so having less of those meant I was really slow about progressing the bar for the second two zones.

I really liked FC5 but man, it had some problems.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Zombie Guy posted:

I respectfully disagree, and offer Bloodborne as evidence. A giant cloaked man knocks you out, and drags you away in a huge sack, and imprisons you in a dingy jail cell. Possibly for sacrifice, possibly for experimentation, who knows. Either way, I thought it fit very well with the mood and narrative.

I think a big reason that particular sequence and where it leaves you isn't obnoxious is that you can always just...leave. Bloodborne gives you numerous means to go back to home base, so the kidnapping is just a flavorful way to visit a new area you can immediately nope out of.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

The Zombie Guy posted:

For content: Something that really burns me is potentially game-breaking bugs that aren't patched out, even years after release. I know, this is where PC gamers chime in about being tHe MaStEr RaCe :smug: for being able to find fan made patches.
I was playing Mad Max on PS4, and one of the side activities that you can do is using your dog to sniff out buried landmines for defusal. When you defuse landmines, it lowers the overall Threat Level in that area, which unlock upgrades for your car.
So I'm rolling around with the dog, hunting for the final minefield that I have to clear in order to drop the threat to zero and unlock a bunch of sweet toys. The dog starts barking and pointing me towards a spot, but the mine refuses to appear so that I can defuse it. Even trying to drive over the spot with a car doesn't detonate anything. So here I am with an invisible mine that can't be removed, and no way to finish lowering the threat level. I checked online, and I'm not the only one to have the same issue, so I have to assume that the developers would be aware of the issue, but it hasn't been fixed.

I've had that problem on the PC, I don't remember how I fixed it sadly. Pretty sure it wasn't by getting a fix mod, but who knows really.

Only thing I can think of... maybe the dog is literally barking at a mine that isn't there? Can you see a minefield mark on the map where the dog is barking? I think I might have had him just bark at nothing a couple of times, in places far away from even cleared minefields.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inco posted:

Halo: Reach has so many little things dragging it down that I just can't finish it. Like, okay, it's a slower paced game with a far higher TTK than Doom, I can get that. The vehicle controls suck. You can't look around while driving. It's like no one's capable of doing a drat shoulder check. I just want to be able to look around and see if I'm about to get hosed up by something coming up behind me. Getting forced out of zoom by getting shot is irritating. Mouse 1 dropping the flag in CTF instead of swinging it to hit people is a pain in the rear end. The big dudes with the cannons that fire green poo poo that show up in the Sword Base fuckin suck to fight. I used up pretty much all the ammo on the stage and they still didn't die.

Play it with a controller? You can look around in the vehicles.

Hit the Hunters in their Orange bits. Sniper rifles and rockets work best but the DMR and Shotgun will do if you care to dance.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Remember in Half-Life 2 when you had capture yourself by locking yourself in a prisoner pod twice? What was up with that? I know why we the player had to do it, since we’re playing a linear video game, but I don’t remember there being any reason for Gordon Freeman the character to do it. It’s possible I missed or forgot something but I was very confused at the time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zinkraptor posted:

Remember in Half-Life 2 when you had capture yourself by locking yourself in a prisoner pod twice? What was up with that? I know why we the player had to do it, since we’re playing a linear video game, but I don’t remember there being any reason for Gordon Freeman the character to do it. It’s possible I missed or forgot something but I was very confused at the time.

Gordon's Big PHD Brain knew it was the only way up the citadel based on his thesis on really hosed up alien space brutalist architecture

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

marshmallow creep posted:

I think a big reason that particular sequence and where it leaves you isn't obnoxious is that you can always just...leave. Bloodborne gives you numerous means to go back to home base, so the kidnapping is just a flavorful way to visit a new area you can immediately nope out of.

Most of the FC5 missions are annoying because of that, but the first one in whatever area the town was in worked because of that. You were in an old nuke silo, and had a colt .45 with one mag and a melee weapon, and there were a fair few enemies spaced out, so you had to kind of weigh "who do I shoot and who do I club to death?" and plan your approach. It was kind of Hotline Miami style.

If they did similar on the rest of the kidnapping missions they would have been a lot of fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zinkraptor posted:

It worked, didn't it?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Resistance level. My big problem wasn't that, but that once you liberate an area the amount of enemies goes waaaaay down, so you don't end up in random firefights nearly as often. I felt that FC5 had juuuust the right level of random enemy encounters to make traversing from my fishing spot to somewhere else involving, so having less of those meant I was really slow about progressing the bar for the second two zones.

I really liked FC5 but man, it had some problems.

Man, I hate it when games reward my going around causing chaos with...less chaos to cause. No, game, I want to kill more baddies, don't just say "Oh okay fewer baddies now, have fun I guess."

As if I just want to walk around peacefully while calmly completing objectives or whatever.

I dunno maybe make it so you can go to a home base and 'increase patrols in the area' or whatever, to reduce bad guys if you really want.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Only thing I can think of... maybe the dog is literally barking at a mine that isn't there? Can you see a minefield mark on the map where the dog is barking? I think I might have had him just bark at nothing a couple of times, in places far away from even cleared minefields.

I've cleared the other field in the area, 1/2 is showing on the threat list. Every enemy camp, and collectable has been found here, so the threat notch is juuuuust a smidge above zero.
I drove around the area and he barked at a couple other Not There mines too, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

It's a moot point for now, since I started getting into Jedi Fallen Order. Mad Max can wait for a while.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've cleared the other field in the area, 1/2 is showing on the threat list. Every enemy camp, and collectable has been found here, so the threat notch is juuuuust a smidge above zero.
I drove around the area and he barked at a couple other Not There mines too, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

It's a moot point for now, since I started getting into Jedi Fallen Order. Mad Max can wait for a while.

Only thing I can suggest for when you get back to Max is to look at an online map for the minefield locations, see if they're really game-breakingly invisible or the dog is just smelling things that aren't there. I did exactly that for that exact reason I'm pretty sure.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The Zombie Guy posted:

You can actually kill or evade the kidnappers in Bloodborne, they only appear in specific places, and the kidnap only happens the first time you get killed by one.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Morpheus posted:

Man, I hate it when games reward my going around causing chaos with...less chaos to cause. No, game, I want to kill more baddies, don't just say "Oh okay fewer baddies now, have fun I guess."

As if I just want to walk around peacefully while calmly completing objectives or whatever.

I dunno maybe make it so you can go to a home base and 'increase patrols in the area' or whatever, to reduce bad guys if you really want.

Mad Max galaxy brain move of removing all enemies from an area if you reduced the Danger Level to 0 made it so that you could, if you're really big into clearing maps, not have enemies pop up anymore for the rest of the game except for the one out of bounds area.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PremiumSupport posted:

Only game I've ever liked the capture mechanic in was the original Knights Of The Old Republic. It didn't matter what order you decided to tackle the planets in, on your way to visit your fourth planet you were intercepted and captured. It wasn't random, and it really didn't interrupt game play as you were already basically fast-traveling when it happens.

Also, KotOR did it once. It's difficult to take the story at all seriously when the protagonist is so inept as to keep getting kidnapped and the antagonists are so inept as to keep letting them escape.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Mad Max galaxy brain move of removing all enemies from an area if you reduced the Danger Level to 0 made it so that you could, if you're really big into clearing maps, not have enemies pop up anymore for the rest of the game except for the one out of bounds area.

That's not entirely correct. It removed the main bad guy goons which are the most common, but you could still run into the quite rarer "neutral" bandit enemies riding down the roads.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Disco Elysium: The story has a tight progression for the first two days, then it gets all scattershot when you access the bulk of map on the third day. Then it quickly goes into the linear final act before ending. The main plot could have had a few more curve-balls because it feels too short and simple. The progression is Inspect Body > Interrogate Suspects A & B > Search for Suspect C > Interrogate Suspect C > Engage in Shootout > Find and Interrogate Killer. I appreciate stories that are small in scope but this felt too mundane overall, despite the communism and stick-monsters.

The role-playing is very strong in regards to reactivity, but pretty much none of the quests have any branching. You can't do anything clever when it comes to finding your gun, you have do what the fat union leader says. The interactions with NPCs may be fascinating but all the quests are notched off like a shopping-list. I think a future game could have an entire detective mechanic as a substitute for WRPG combat. You could pick up a whole load of pieces of evidence and witness-testimony, then piece them together to form a convincing argument with multiple outcomes. Maybe you could combine ideas in your head to create deductions like Miles Edgeworth. As it stands no two play-throughs of DE will be alike, but there isn't much incentive to play again after beating it once.

I think more games could use the pegboard-with-strings method you see in cop-shows to visualize the main quest instead of a quest checklist. It's way more stimulating to see a load of portraits on a board and the visual connections between instead of just plain text about the poo poo you need to do. The Cultist System from AC: Odyssey and the Rumour screen from Outer Wilds come to mind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I think more games could use the pegboard-with-strings method you see in cop-shows to visualize the main quest instead of a quest checklist. It's way more stimulating to see a load of portraits on a board and the visual connections between instead of just plain text about the poo poo you need to do. The Cultist System from AC: Odyssey and the Rumour screen from Outer Wilds come to mind.

Pathologic 2 did similar along with having it all update over time as you learn and do more (or don't do something), but from the perspective of the protagonist, so they might only THINK they achieved something.

they probably didn't

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Dishonored would respond to carnage by giving you more even guards to kill as you played on, but it also said you were a bad guy for being a mass murderer so everyone hated it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

RBA Starblade posted:

Play it with a controller? You can look around in the vehicles.

Hit the Hunters in their Orange bits. Sniper rifles and rockets work best but the DMR and Shotgun will do if you care to dance.

Playing an FPS with a controller feels like dogshit. I'm not doing that.

Edit: also the UI in the game loving sucks. The prompt to search for players is three menus deep with no signposting, the "Change Teams" button is also in that same menu for some reason (while the icon that says "You are on RED TEAM" that could easily open up that menu does nothing), half the buttons don't look like a button, things that do look like buttons aren't buttons, adding players to your friends list is a goddamn trial, and the map and game mode selections aren't drop down menus, even though you can have a shitload of maps installed. Good lord.

Inco has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Dec 13, 2019

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The new modern warfare really bamboozle my lizard brain. I dont know whether to love or hate it. One one hand you have the flashy rewards and the satisfying kills, the weapons and the sound, on the other you have the the super low time to kill and the horribly designed maps making the game feel like RNG most of the time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jumped in on The Touryst, which is mostly a charming little game with minigames and exploration/moderate puzzle solving inside various monuments you discover around various islands. It's mostly chill, except for one series of puzzles involving jumping on moving spheres over bottomless pits to open doors in one monument. Mostly okay, involving staying in the left-right plane so there's not much precision required.

Except the last one. Eight spheres that rotate around an inclined plane as you jump on them, so you're constantly having to adjust the camera to even see the right jump direction, and you have no depth perception because you're over said bottomless pit. And it's not immediately obvious what order you need to follow, and they self destruct if you jump on them a second time, and the whole room resets every time you fall off. I spent about 40 minutes on it, mostly in 10-30 second increments between deaths. That's pushing 20% of my total time in-game, it's just a massive clusterfuck of design that should've been instantly nixed in testing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inco posted:

Playing an FPS with a controller feels like dogshit. I'm not doing that.

Edit: also the UI in the game loving sucks. The prompt to search for players is three menus deep with no signposting, the "Change Teams" button is also in that same menu for some reason (while the icon that says "You are on RED TEAM" that could easily open up that menu does nothing), half the buttons don't look like a button, things that do look like buttons aren't buttons, adding players to your friends list is a goddamn trial, and the map and game mode selections aren't drop down menus, even though you can have a shitload of maps installed. Good lord.

Good luck then I guess lol, I haven't tried kbm with Halo because I assumed it'd feel like poo poo

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Inco posted:

The big dudes with the cannons that fire green poo poo that show up in the Sword Base fuckin suck to fight. I used up pretty much all the ammo on the stage and they still didn't die.

Fun fact: These are literally the easiest enemy in the game on the hardest difficulty (Legendary All Skulls On). Sprint up to them, sidestep their first melee attack, punch them in the spine, dodge their next melee attack by circling around them (it has a very narrow hitbox, since they just lift their shield over their head and slam straight down behind them), repeat until dead. They won't shoot at you if you're too close to them or to one of their allies.

Things dragging down Halo:Reach PC: Character customization is locked behind both only playing multiplayer and a massive enforced grind (XP gains per game are capped). If I wanted the same outfit I had on 360 Reach, I'd need to be level 60something. And at least 360 gave you (minor) experience for playing campaign, and had challenges that sometimes gave a whole bunch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MILTON in The Talos Principle is a double-fisted strawman wielding prick. I absolutely adore The Talos Principle for many reasons not just as a puzzle game but also as a philosophical debate simulator. In each discussion with MILTON you are given a variety of 4-6 canned responses that usually cover a number of different perspectives, enough that everyone will have something to pick. The problem is that pretty much every one of your back-and-forths with MILTON boils down to him being unable to reconcile that humans are contradictory creatures and that opinions are complex things that cannot be boiled down to a single line of text in a dialogue box. This in itself would not be so bad if you were ever, ever, under any circumstances allowed to address this hangup of his in any way. All of his arguments completely fall apart the instant you introduce the concept of someone feeling one way and acting another, or having conflicting perspectives on complex issues in society at large. You are not only not given the opportunity to bring this up on your own without the conversation already being at that point, you're not even allowed to talk to him about it at all unless he is the one that comes to this realization, and when he does, he wigs out because he is a computer and starts pulling increasingly insane strawmen on you and then at some points is so petty he hangs up on you. In the end of the game you are given the opportunity to ask MILTON to leave the simulation with you, as an independently operating part of your consciousness (you being a robot and all), and if you've remained on friendly or sometimes speaking terms with him he may accept. My question is why the gently caress would I wanna do that, he is a petty dick who can't come up with a convincing argument to save his goddamn life.

edit: The point of "a dialogue box with canned options cannot really be used to form complex opinions" is actually something you and MILTON talk about in the game, and he acts like a big baby by demonstrating that he can physically change all of the canned responses to be whatever he wants or reduce your options to only being able to say goodbye and leave the terminal, like he's a lovely mod run wild on a niche internet forum. This is the point at which you can call him out on being a fuckin tool and if you do so he gets mad at you and refuses to talk to you for some time because he feels like he's been fair to you by not abusing this power so far. But you don't get the opportunity to tell him you're grateful for that because he immediately hangs up on you to teach you a lesson about how important being able to contact him is. All you can do is bicker with him until the very tail end. Even without him executing a brain jack on your canned responses, he refuses to reach a common ground with you because organizing and sorting data is his entire purpose in cyber-life, so you just go in circles for loving ever and I ask again why would I wanna talk to this thing of my own volition ever if he keeps demonstrating he is incapable of talkin about anything more complex than that

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Dec 14, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

My question is why the gently caress would I wanna do that, he is a petty dick who can't come up with a convincing argument to save his goddamn life.

Because there's a chievo for it? :shrug:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My two gripes with Talos is that the text-computers are boring and break up the gameplay, and that recorder puzzles are the loving worse. It's telling that whenever someone submits a player-made puzzle they always tag it with "No Recorders".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I liked what I saw of the computer interactions in the DLC, I should really go back and finish that one eventually.