Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

It was treated as a masturbation joke on rev.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan for years and years after the first reference (one guy got it as his parenthetical nom de guerre in the FAQ), and group members brought it up regularly with Harriet and RJ in correspondence, signings, and similar encounters.

Rasfwrj! I hung out there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cultureulterior posted:

I posted way too much there in college.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

I posted way too much there in college.

:same: I even went to a meetup. I regret most things about that.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ulmont posted:

I went to several. I picked up a girlfriend for a while, but the group was mostly cringe.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

ulmont posted:

I think you mean a 'Darkfriend Social:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I read most of these books obsessively as a child, and then reread all of them recently some fifteen years later.

My perspectives on Nynaeve, Elayne, Galad, Gawyn, and Moiraine all basically did a 180. It's kind of jarring. I think I may have been an idiot as a child.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Nynaeve in particular I found myself completely changing opinion of when re-reading. Of course she thinks that most of the 'main characters' are complete idiots, she was having to deal with them being lovely teenagers whilst being in her mid twenties!

Cadsuane is the character who, upon re-reading as an adult, still comes across as an utterly lovely person who has no right to be anywhere near any kind of position of authority.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Patrat posted:

Nynaeve in particular I found myself completely changing opinion of when re-reading. Of course she thinks that most of the 'main characters' are complete idiots, she was having to deal with them being lovely teenagers whilst being in her mid twenties!

Cadsuane is the character who, upon re-reading as an adult, still comes across as an utterly lovely person who has no right to be anywhere near any kind of position of authority.

Colonel Cool posted:

I read most of these books obsessively as a child, and then reread all of them recently some fifteen years later.

My perspectives on Nynaeve, Elayne, Galad, Gawyn, and Moiraine all basically did a 180. It's kind of jarring. I think I may have been an idiot as a child.

You can go to any WoT forum and find posts of people completely changing their mind about Nynaeve. It's extremely common. But you will notice that even in the RJ books, Rand never loses the respect he has for her, when he otherwise let's nobody boss him around (or tries to).

Liking Gawyn at any point is concerning. I think you might be right about child you being an idiot, Colonel Cool. Thankfully, you've grown out of that. :)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

cultureulterior posted:

Bunch of us around, not surprisingly. Thingies as well, I think.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Patrat posted:

To be ~fair~ she went into self-imposed exile until she couldn't hide any longer.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Colonel Cool posted:

I think I may have been an idiot as a child.

Most people are. Hell, I thought Goodkind was a good writer up until my early twenties.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

Most people are. Hell, I thought Goodkind was a good writer up until my early twenties.

Yeah I did that one too. It's bewildering, in retrospect.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Goodkind can write well. He generally doesn't, but he has the odd passage here and there.

I like Cadsuane because she proves capable of going well gently caress I was wrong. I mean, it took the saviour of the world putting her under pain of death to do it, but I always got the sense she was trying to do the best as she saw it.

Also she treated one of the most evil beings ever like an insolent child and that gets her a few badass points

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

But spanking

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Butt spanking

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I always liked Cadsuane because she's a rare glimpse into Aes Sedai being actually competent. Gradually finding out that the mysterious tower full of lady wizards was full of petty, short sighted, squabbling, ineffective people whose best talent was the ability to maintain a certain level of mystique to the outside world was a major letdown.

Cadsuane was a horribly flawed person, but she was effective at what she did, intently focused on doing things that actually matter, and willing to learn from her mistakes.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I got the impression that Cadsuane was doing the same thing to Rand that she wound up doing to the Forsaken later on - she was being the stern old woman not impressed with his poo poo in order to counter the ego-boosting effect of everyone else around him. For that matter, there was probably a big element of that in how she treated the other Aes Sedai.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One thing I did appreciate about the last few books under Sanderson was that the narrative did start to remember that the Aes Sedai were actually good at channeling. Sure there might have been a bajillion Aiel Wise Ones who could channel but the tower had only been keeping people who were legitimately strong channelers by normal standards then giving them good training in actually wielding their power even if not specifically in combat weaves.

Things like that one red Ajah taking on multiple evil Asha'man at the same time or the major impacts they had in the last battle despite there being only a few hundred Aes Sedai in action on a battlefield with thousands of channelers.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

As much as I enjoyed the Androl plot, It did seem a bit strange that the Taimmen seemed to have everything on motherfucking lock and were taken down by a small but plucky band of good men and women

They just seemed badly outgunned :shrug:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

As much as I enjoyed the Androl plot, It did seem a bit strange that the Taimmen seemed to have everything on motherfucking lock and were taken down by a small but plucky band of good men and women

They just seemed badly outgunned :shrug:

I think, at that point, most of them had already pulled out to engage in shenanigans elsewhere and they did not want to risk coming back once the jig was up because they really did not want to risk running into a vengeful Zen Rand who had just demonstrated the ability to kill like, two hundred thousand dudes in ten minutes?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Patrat posted:

I think, at that point, most of them had already pulled out to engage in shenanigans elsewhere and they did not want to risk coming back once the jig was up because they really did not want to risk running into a vengeful Zen Rand who had just demonstrated the ability to kill like, two hundred thousand dudes in ten minutes?

Huh. That makes sense.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Patrat posted:

One thing I did appreciate about the last few books under Sanderson was that the narrative did start to remember that the Aes Sedai were actually good at channeling. Sure there might have been a bajillion Aiel Wise Ones who could channel but the tower had only been keeping people who were legitimately strong channelers by normal standards then giving them good training in actually wielding their power even if not specifically in combat weaves.

Things like that one red Ajah taking on multiple evil Asha'man at the same time or the major impacts they had in the last battle despite there being only a few hundred Aes Sedai in action on a battlefield with thousands of channelers.

on reread, i thought Sanderson did that Red (Pevara I think?) really well - it was nice to see like an actually normal person who takes their ideals seriously, and has some wrong impressions as a result, but isn't a loving crazy evil sadist. i wonder if that was one of those things jordan planned all along in order to subvert his own tropes, or was a Sanderson thing

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve gotta say I think a lot of the negative reaction to Cadsuane comes from her being viewed through Rand’s increasingly unhinged lenses. Viewed objectively I see her as an overwhelmingly competent and positive force.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah she really is

It becomes a lot more apparent on a binge reread like I'm doing, sorta like the Shadow's overall plan being to break Rand rather than defeat him

Also I just finished Towers and man it's just :unsmith: as gently caress

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

I always liked Cadsuane because she's a rare glimpse into Aes Sedai being actually competent. Gradually finding out that the mysterious tower full of lady wizards was full of petty, short sighted, squabbling, ineffective people whose best talent was the ability to maintain a certain level of mystique to the outside world was a major letdown.

Cadsuane was a horribly flawed person, but she was effective at what she did, intently focused on doing things that actually matter, and willing to learn from her mistakes.

Hey they should use that old German woman from band of brothers for Cadsuane

She had the disapproving look down pat

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eke out posted:

on reread, i thought Sanderson did that Red (Pevara I think?) really well - it was nice to see like an actually normal person who takes their ideals seriously, and has some wrong impressions as a result, but isn't a loving crazy evil sadist. i wonder if that was one of those things jordan planned all along in order to subvert his own tropes, or was a Sanderson thing

Pevara was introduced in book 7. And one of the first things we learn is that she doesn't hate men and sometimes spoke out in favor of Reds bonding Warders. She's very different from basically any other Red we've ever seen, and she was very clearly designed to be firmly on the side of Team Good from the very start.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey they should use that old German woman from band of brothers for Cadsuane

She had the disapproving look down pat

Nah they need Maggie Smith.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The Lord Bude posted:

Nah they need Maggie Smith.

Judi Dench

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I never imagine anybody that old playing an Aes Sedai.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Vavrek posted:

I never imagine anybody that old playing an Aes Sedai.

It's basically cadsuane being described as ancient all over the place.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It was pretty suspicious how she was described as being so old compared to the ageless look the other Aes Sedai had. I was convinced she wasn't bound by the Oath Rod.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Pevara was introduced in book 7. And one of the first things we learn is that she doesn't hate men and sometimes spoke out in favor of Reds bonding Warders. She's very different from basically any other Red we've ever seen, and she was very clearly designed to be firmly on the side of Team Good from the very start.

ty! yeah i thought there was a setup along those lines, i just wish there were more normal Reds in general

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Verin is such a good character, goddamn. The amazing ways Jordan compares her to a fat little bird in every single scene is hilarious, and nobody knows what to think about her except "she's way smarter than she lets on, maybe?".

I also lost it at the way Michael Kramer reads the following random intro for a manor servant:

One of the twinned doors creaked open to admit a white-haired man in a worn yellow coat trimmed with red and blue that hung loosely on his bony frame. His bow was halting, a fault of his joints rather than disrespect. "My Lord Dragon," he said in a voice nearly as creaky as the hinges, "Lord Logain has returned."

It's a total nothing paragraph except it dunks on this bony old man and Kramer gives him such a perfect voice for it. I love "a voice as creaky as the hinges" as a description.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Anias posted:

It's basically cadsuane being described as ancient all over the place.

Yeah, I was thinking, like, 50s, maybe early 60s?

I normally picture Aes Sedai as looking like they're about 40 or 45, but started getting plastic surgery the moment they saw their first wrinkle. You look at them and go "You look like you're old, but you don't look like you're old. Wow, must be magic."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

My personal headcannon is that Aes Sedai all look like Joan Rivers.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
A touch of grey means youre old as hell, looking like a straight up old woman means you're older than hell and dirt

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

My personal headcannon is that Aes Sedai all look like Joan Rivers.

Joan Rivers and Dolly Parton

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

My internal reference for the ageless look is Priscilla Presley in Naked Gun. She's something like 43 in the first one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pleads posted:

Verin is such a good character, goddamn. The amazing ways Jordan compares her to a fat little bird in every single scene is hilarious, and nobody knows what to think about her except "she's way smarter than she lets on, maybe?".

I think in a Cadsusne POV she all but says she knows what Verin's game is, but don't quote me on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think in a Cadsusne POV she all but says she knows what Verin's game is, but don't quote me on that

I distinctly remember it the other way--Verin was poised to poison Cadsuane until she figured out what Cadsuane was there for. Now, the way Cadsuane spoke to Verin in that passage seemed to infer that she was aware that Verin was "off" but was still trying to do the right things.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 13, 2019