Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Arivia posted:

Hi I wanted to play a Witcher game before I watch the Netflix series (my book reading time is all blocked out right now by TBB). Should I start with the first one (with the acknowledgment that I'm an old hand at the Aurora engine and don't mind its quirks), or jump into the third? I own 1 and 2 already, and I usually try to play things in order.

I would play them in order if you ever want to play 1 and 2 at all. They get better and better by leaps and bounds between each one, it's hard to go back. I wouldn't say you have to play 1 or 2 though, but in their day they were both really good games. Except those drat swamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Arivia posted:

Hi I wanted to play a Witcher game before I watch the Netflix series (my book reading time is all blocked out right now by TBB). Should I start with the first one (with the acknowledgment that I'm an old hand at the Aurora engine and don't mind its quirks), or jump into the third? I own 1 and 2 already, and I usually try to play things in order.

If you want to finish one in the 8 days before the show drops then 1 is probably the shortest? All three take place after the events of the books and show so none of them will help explain the plot past some world building.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arivia posted:

You'll get different answers, but imo W3 is one of the best games I have ever played, compared to the others which are good but flawed. I'd say dive in on the most modern and enjoyable experience.

The others are fun, if aging, and you can always go back to those if W3 does not sate your Witcher lust.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
w2 and w3 are both very good in very different ways. w1 is pretty rough at this point. IMO.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arivia posted:

W1 is very janky but also charming with a story with some good stuff and some dumb stuff that really has a sense of fairy tale magic to it.

W2 is much less janky and the story is more consistent but it's a lot less magical, and the story focuses more on gritty fantasy politics.

W3 is loving incredible, and manages to capture the fairy tale magic of the Witcher and the political realism of TW2 while also just being far better written than either.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Witcher 1 is worth playing.
It has a lot of missable stuff in each chapter where once you move location you can't go back.
It can be worth checking a checklist for each chapter before you leave to make sure you've done everything you want.

Also you don't have to fight everything in the swamps each time you visit. You can just run through them and things will give up trying to fight you.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Witcher 1 is loving amazing, play it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Sounds like I should try 1 and if I don't like it skip to 3. Thanks everyone!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Arivia posted:

Sounds like I should try 1 and if I don't like it skip to 3. Thanks everyone!

Eh, 2 is a big upgrade over 1, and the story is pretty good even if it has nothing to do with what the show is going to be about.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Witcher 1 lets Geralt bang every woman he sees, Witcher 3 makes him choose one girlfriend out of two options

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Arivia posted:

One thing to consider is that GOG.com is having a massive sale right now, so if you're even thinking about buying the games, buy them there right now for a great price that goes directly to the developers and doesn't give Valve a cut.

Edit: Looks like you can get all 3 Witcher titles, plus Thronebreaker, plus a Cyberpunk 2077 preorder for $90 if you're in the US. Not sure about other countries.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zane posted:

i'm anticipating the tv show a lot of more than i once was on account of how the showrunner Lauren Hissrich seems to really understand the source material and to just generally 'get' how good genre fantasy works. the witcher has always been a series that trades on a lot of superficially exploitative genre motifs which then get a lot more substantive once you get beneath the surface. so i assumed the absolute worst about the tv show -- an assumption that seems fortunately to be mistaken. here's a good video with hissrich that (i think?) was just posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swrEQWD1GlU

This is a quality interview. Weird raisin armor aside, the production values look pretty drat great overall too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Witcher 1 was an over-ambitious CRPG title by an Eastern European studio that had never made a game before but managed to build a following overseas despite its flaws. Whether that sentence reads to you as a list of positives or a list of negatives will determine whether you're patient enough for the Witcher. If you're a die-hard CRPG fan there's a lot to like in the writing and art direction. If replaying Neverwinter Nights is something you would never consider doing, you should probably skip the Witcher.

If you're on the fence get it for $5.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Witcher 1 was an over-ambitious CRPG title by an Eastern European studio that had never made a game before but managed to build a following overseas despite its flaws. Whether that sentence reads to you as a list of positives or a list of negatives will determine whether you're patient enough for the Witcher. If you're a die-hard CRPG fan there's a lot to like in the writing and art direction. If replaying Neverwinter Nights is something you would never consider doing, you should probably skip the Witcher.

If you're on the fence get it for $5.

I am a pretty big CRPG fan and I really liked NWN, so no worries there. Like I said, I know the Aurora engine already.

Any recommended mods or anything for Witcher 1?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Arivia posted:

I am a pretty big CRPG fan and I really liked NWN, so no worries there. Like I said, I know the Aurora engine already.

Any recommended mods or anything for Witcher 1?
there's a big conversion project that combines a better english translation with the original polish vo. but you have to balance a better modded translation against the sometimes almost surreally hilarious english vanilla translation/vo that is unique to W1. it's been a very long time since i was familiar with that scene however.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zane posted:

there's a big conversion project that combines a better english translation with the original polish vo. but you have to balance a better modded translation against the sometimes almost surreally hilarious english vanilla translation/vo that is unique to W1. it's been a very long time since i was familiar with that scene however.

The jankiness is kind of appealing. I wasn’t expecting timed combat swings in the Aurora engine, for example. Also I played the prologue and slept with one woman already. Her v-card is scarily nippleless.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Surreal is the right word for Witcher 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arivia posted:

The jankiness is kind of appealing. I wasn’t expecting timed combat swings in the Aurora engine, for example. Also I played the prologue and slept with one woman already. Her v-card is scarily nippleless.

Oh, one mod you should get is the European skin textures and cards. It restores nipples to the bewilderingly-bowdlerized North American version.

If anyone reading this doesn't know what I'm talking about, for the NA version they censored female nipples by just removing the nipples. Not adding clothing, just removing the nipples. So you have these weird naked people with no nipples.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh, one mod you should get is the European skin textures and cards. It restores nipples to the bewilderingly-bowdlerized North American version.

Link?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Uh me ten years ago would have had it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The GOG.com and Steam versions should have the titty patch preinstalled. Triss' card in the prologue just is a lot less horny than all the other ones.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doc M posted:

The GOG.com and Steam versions should have the titty patch preinstalled. Triss' card in the prologue just is a lot less horny than all the other ones.

I’m playing the Enhanced Edition on Steam. Idk, it just looked anatomically wrong. Like there’s enough boob showing that I should see some aureole.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Hobo Clown posted:

Witcher 1 lets Geralt bang every woman he sees, Witcher 3 makes him choose one girlfriend out of two options

can still bang Keira and the Gwent-tournament lady, and a whole bunch of novigrad whores.

probably even more in the DLC.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

When playing W1 you also need to be warned that the prologue really extends up till the point where you get access to Vizima.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Arivia posted:

Well, since the games are later in time than books they'll drop some spoilers about what happened in the books(and the show, since it's based on them, not original scenario), especially the witcher 3 references a bunch of book stuff.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dictator. posted:

can still bang Keira and the Gwent-tournament lady, and a whole bunch of novigrad whores.

there's a warrior woman on Faroe too who's dtf if you can prove you're a better fencer

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Dictator. posted:

Yeah but they don't give you souvenir trading cards so what's even the point

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lambert has an implied habit of hooking up with Geralt's bedmates. First it's implied that he and Triss had a fling, and then he and Keira shack up.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
is there a combat mod that turns it into dark souls instead of this spinny poo poo. i have no idea how i made it through the game the first time. just had a fight where i got surrounded by 4 dudes. i try to jump back from one and then attack forward again. (no camera movement) but after i jump back and click forward-attack, i'm now attacking the person behind me. this ends up with me getting dogpiled and dying. dumb as hell targetting system.

anyways i don't want a combat rework or game rehaul or anything. just something that doesn't have me spinning wildly any which way because i dared to dodge away from one enemy, incidentally in the direction of another.

e: well. search and you will find, probably: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2719
let's see how well this works

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 13, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Well, since the games are later in time than books they'll drop some spoilers about what happened in the books(and the show, since it's based on them, not original scenario), especially the witcher 3 references a bunch of book stuff.

Oh, I'm not worried about that, but thank you. I just wanted to ground myself in the setting instead of showing up to a watch party asking a bunch of dumb questions.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Last time I played Witcher 3 was in 2016 when the DLC was out. I installed it again to see if I was ready for another playthrough. I was not.

I was still overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of stuff I did on my 1st playthrough (hello Skellige ?'s), I had forgotten everything, and did not feel like playing. Maybe in a few more years...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This first season of the show is covering several of the short stories that preceded the main storyline, so the games might actually be a good intro to the style, since Witcher 1 and 3 have more in common with the short story collections when it comes to gameplay and presentation. The main "saga" books are more politically driven while the short stories are connected standalone adventures, which happen to make up the bread and butter of the quests in game 1 and 3.
Witcher 2 is an outlier because most of its content is driven by the main plotline and its maze of twisting character motivations. It makes Witcher 2 harder to play in short bursts because everything goes together into this massive conspiracy narrative. Meanwhile Witcher 1 and 3 you can pick up, play a chapter or a couple contract quests and get a full storyline on top of progressing the ongoing main quests.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lambert has an implied habit of hooking up with Geralt's bedmates. First it's implied that he and Triss had a fling, and then he and Keira shack up.

Another reason to ship Yen.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alchenar posted:

When playing W1 you also need to be warned that the prologue really extends up till the point where you get access to Vizima.

Huh? The prologue is the prologue. Chapter 1 exists in the outskirts and is not something I'd count as a prologue. It's not like the game doesn't start properly until Chapter 2.

The Nish
Mar 3, 2007
I think he really just means that there's a lot of stuff that doesn't get introduced until about Chapter 2. You don't get the silver sword until then, you only have two signs available in the Outskirts. Plus, the game opens more once you're in Vizima.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Surreal is the right word for Witcher 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

lol

what is this crap

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Gah, I'm getting the itch to replay this game but my computer's hosed. I see myself buying it on PS4 in the near future....

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

fishing with the fam posted:

Gah, I'm getting the itch to replay this game but my computer's hosed. I see myself buying it on PS4 in the near future....

The Switch version is currently on discount, and despite beating this game like five loving times, I'm still tempted by the idea of a portable Witcher.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
PS4 version has gotta be cheap by this point and will run better than Switch obvs but if the prospect of having it portable intrigues you people say the Switch version is perfectly playable. Really an achievement they got it running so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

is there a combat mod that turns it into dark souls instead of this spinny poo poo. i have no idea how i made it through the game the first time. just had a fight where i got surrounded by 4 dudes. i try to jump back from one and then attack forward again. (no camera movement) but after i jump back and click forward-attack, i'm now attacking the person behind me. this ends up with me getting dogpiled and dying. dumb as hell targetting system.

anyways i don't want a combat rework or game rehaul or anything. just something that doesn't have me spinning wildly any which way because i dared to dodge away from one enemy, incidentally in the direction of another.

e: well. search and you will find, probably: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2719
let's see how well this works

Play on ye controller. Left stick direction is soft lock. Tap right stick for hard lock. Dodge cancels attack animations. Also, have you considered just not getting surrounded? It's easier than you think!