Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

duck trucker posted:

At the very least he might think she probably won't forgive him for killing Judd even though she's the one who gave him the idea.

My recollection was that he said she wouldn't forgive him for something he was doing next, i.e., some additional action after Judd was hanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I honestly hope Angela doesn't get Jon powers. I hope nobody does. I do not think anyone deserves them. I'm hoping that's where this is going. "He gave me his powers, and I realized I don't want them".

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
tonight I finally realized how "A God Walks Into Abar" fit with the rest of the episodes thematically, it's about escaping who you are, and it's about the limits of escapism; you can escape being Doctor Manhattan; you can escape Europa

however, even with godlike power, even with love and luck on your side, there are things you can't escape, and turns out one of these things is white supremacy! funny how that works!

anyways that's what I figured out thank you good night!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xanderkish posted:

Maybe this will be the point in the past 3000 years that we resolve the free will debate. Here, in the Something Awful forums. In the Watchmen tv thread.

If you actually read my posts, you'll see that I've said multiple times "and at that point it becomes religion, and none of us can prove it, and you're free to believe what you want". So that's not remotely the point.

I just wanted to explain the concepts to him, and he was asking. Now he knows what I mean, and we can just agree to disagree. But before he didn't understand what I was saying. That's something. We don't have to agree on everything; that's not the point. Its just fun to talk about and also share new concepts, even if you don't believe in those concepts, thinking about them is worth doing.

Deal with it.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
If I were Dr Manhattan I'd make whichever choice results in the last ten pages of this thread not happening.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Basebf555 posted:

He doesn't play by those rules though, that's really what it comes down to. The confusion and inability we have to wrap our heads around his perception of time is obviously the point.

No I get it, I'm explicitly critiquing the cinematography. If it was blocked and shot better then we wouldn't have had a multi-page debate going on right now.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Skitz posted:

If I were Dr Manhattan I'd make whichever choice results in the last ten pages of this thread not happening.

:emptyquote:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1205326070213435392?s=12

Two minutes too short.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Here is a palate cleanser: https://watchmenphotomanips.tumblr.com/

e.

just another fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 13, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skitz posted:

As if posting this is any better?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

this theme of alt back stories in watchmen is really taking off. maybe i will get my frasier watchmen after all

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Taber
Nov 17, 2007

Malkin's worst nightmare
I’ve only read 120 of the past 125 pages, so possibly it was brought up, but one thing is bothering me about Dr. Manhattan. Between showing Angela the walking on water, making the possibly magic waffles, and visiting Will to get him to Tulsa, it really seems like Dr. Manhattan was getting his affairs in order because he knew he was about to die. He does know he’s about to die, but does using future information to inform his current actions break the rules of Manhattan? On one hand, he constantly uses future info in conversation, but it still kind of feels like it shouldn’t work that way.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Taber posted:

I’ve only read 120 of the past 125 pages, so possibly it was brought up, but one thing is bothering me about Dr. Manhattan. Between showing Angela the walking on water, making the possibly magic waffles, and visiting Will to get him to Tulsa, it really seems like Dr. Manhattan was getting his affairs in order because he knew he was about to die. He does know he’s about to die, but does using future information to inform his current actions break the rules of Manhattan? On one hand, he constantly uses future info in conversation, but it still kind of feels like it shouldn’t work that way.

Welcome to the Watchmen thread. You are about to be approached by two individuals violently raving about free will, agency and determinism. If this sounds like your sort of thing, take a seat and start screaming into the void. Otherwise I'd suggest you back out now and just accept the show as presented.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

precision posted:

As if posting this is any better?

At least it was brief and to the point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, there are no blue waffles, y'all. Remember, Angela broke all the e-oh hoooly poo poo :psyboom:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chadzok posted:

violently raving about free will

:rolleyes:

If you don't wanna talk about stuff why are you reading an internet thread. Maybe you're the one who needs to back out now and accept the show as presented?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
People are surprised that the guy who walked into an Intrinsic field generator not once, but twice, might not have the best self preservation instincts.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

If you don't wanna talk about stuff why are you reading an internet thread. Maybe you're the one who needs to back out now and accept the show as presented?

this is a post on a joke forum and I enjoy your rants. I read the thread because I like show and conversation about said show. why do you keep thinking me a bad person

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Shut up zaphod

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

lol calm down Beavis

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Taber posted:

You should probably read the pages again because this has been gone over like a dozen times. (The answer is no, this is how closed time loops work)

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

When Manhattan is using future information in conversation he's trying to word stuff in a way that would make sense to who he is talking to.

Like when he laughs about being told by Angela/Veidt that he has an amazing/no imagination he goes "That's funny because 6 months from now/6 months ago I was told the opposite."

But from his perspective what he wants to say is "That's funny because I'm being told the opposite right now."

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

duck trucker posted:

When Manhattan is using future information in conversation he's trying to word stuff in a way that would make sense to who he is talking to.

Like when he laughs about being told by Angela/Veidt that he has an amazing/no imagination he goes "That's funny because 6 months from now/6 months ago I was told the opposite."

But from his perspective what he wants to say is "That's funny because I'm being told the opposite right now."

I'd have to go back and rewatch, but doesn't Dr. M always speak in the present?

"Six months from now, Adrian is telling me that I don't have any imagination."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
OK... so Dr. Manhattan said that he could put his power into something that a person could consume to gain said powers. He was talking hypothetically about an egg. Later, Angela breaks the eggs. Then he's straight-up pullin' a Jesus Christ on the family's pool, and he looks at her and says, "This is a Chekhov's Gun."

Clearly, he put his power into the water. She must drink the pool water to get his powers. All of it.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

you have written literally thousands of words of utter poo poo and I've scrolled past every single one of them

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

tarlibone posted:

OK... so Dr. Manhattan said that he could put his power into something that a person could consume to gain said powers. He was talking hypothetically about an egg. Later, Angela breaks the eggs. Then he's straight-up pullin' a Jesus Christ on the family's pool, and he looks at her and says, "This is a Chekhov's Gun."

Clearly, he put his power into the water. She must drink the pool water to get his powers. All of it.

It's Sunday. I am peeing in the pool so I don't have to get out.

It's Thursday. I watch my adopted son drink some pool water on a dare. I smile.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

you have written literally thousands of words of utter poo poo and I've scrolled past every single one of them

Keep scrolling.

Its easy to act superior when you don't engage. But all that does is make you the edgiest teen in high school. Either say something of your own or shut up.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Keep scrolling.

Its easy to be superior when you don't engage. But all that does is make you less annoying to everyone in the thread.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Hey, I've ignored this guy because I don't wanna read his posts.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

It's good this show only has one more episode

just another
Oct 16, 2009

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Listen it's simple

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Time is gay and space is most of stuff. Not hard at all

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Adrien lecturing Jon about the insensitivity of presenting himself as a black man was pretty funny, huh?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Adrien lecturing Jon about the insensitivity of presenting himself as a black man was pretty funny, huh?

It's also funny that he comes to place populated by beings capable of infinite love but he manages to turn them against him nonetheless.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Alhazred posted:

It's also funny that he comes to place populated by beings capable of infinite love but he manages to turn them against him nonetheless.

I don't think they've turned against him (except for the Game Warden, whose own issues predate Veidt's arrival). The whole trial and punishment was all a put-on to help orchestrate his escape, in a way that I expect will become clear this weekend.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I think it's funny that Veidt got sent to Paradise to live out Utopia but instead was its version of Satan, corrupting all that was good and introducing the evil of ~knowledge~ to the world...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I think it's funny that Veidt got sent to Paradise to live out Utopia but instead was its version of Satan, corrupting all that was good and introducing the evil of ~knowledge~ to the world...

Nice read, works well in the frame of Dr. M being the creator god

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!

Xanderkish posted:

Maybe this will be the point in the past 3000 years that we resolve the free will debate. Here, in the Something Awful forums. In the Watchmen tv thread.

Let's fuckin do it guys, I believe in y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
If I remember correctly, before Jon walked into the intrinsic field generator in 1985, he kind of sighs to himself, "Oh great, we're doing this thing." So he knows it's coming but is literally powerless to stop it.

Or like when the Comedian kills the pregnant girl in Vietnam. "You could have turned the gun into butterflies or the bullets into snowflakes! But you didn't, did you? You just stood there and watched." Again, it happened not because he didn't have the physical power to stop it, but because it was inevitable, like everything else in his life.

Also in the comic, he tells Laurie, "We're all puppets. I'm the only one who can see the strings."

So Jon gets hit by the tachyon cannon because he was always hit by it, will always be hit by it.