Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Indonesia deliberately decided not to make either Dutch (the colonizers' language) or Javanese (largest ethnic group's language) its working language, choosing instead a dialect of Malay used mostly for trade due to its historical significance in bringing Islam (and Christianity), use in nearby areas (what is now Malaysia/Singapore, Brunei), and relative simplicity (doesn't have all the pronoun hierarchy that Javanese has for example). The fact that at the time it was spoken natively by only a small portion of the population was considered a plus.

(having said all that I agree English is the least bad choice for a working language for India and South Africa, but Indonesia is one of the most populous countries in the world with a huge amount of linguistic diversity and therefore a very notable exception)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

XMNN posted:

a token concession to multilingualism by making everyone including Hindi speakers learn at least two national languages (excluding English) at school (which is what Switzerland does)

FWIW Switzerland has been spending the last 30 years gradually removing national multilingualism and replacing it with English. Every couple years there's a new change in cantonal education policies that sets English at a younger age, and reduces the German/French requirements (whichever one is the 'foreign' language). English is taught before French in most German-speaking cantons. Like in Zurich, English instruction usually starts in primary school, and French instruction several years later.

This is the current-ish policy, of which "foreign" language is taught first -- lower map. The Suisse Romand keep getting pissed at French getting eroded, so I'm sure in the next few years Vaud and Geneva will also start switching towards English as the first "foreign" language of instruction and sideline German.

IME outside of Bern and Solothurn, French is rarely spoken to any even vague degree of fluency in any of the Swiss German-speaking cantons, and almost never at a greater degree of fluency than English.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can we move the ethno-linguistic cleansing chat to a new thread? I wanna learn more about Indian politics.

Rutger
Mar 17, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Can we move the ethno-linguistic cleansing chat to a new thread? I wanna learn more about Indian politics.

This article by Dexter Filkins about Modi is pretty good

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/12/09/blood-and-soil-in-narendra-modis-india

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Grouchio posted:

FWIW the language issue has been a major driver of Indian politics since independence. It contributes mightily to the trend of stronger state governments and a weaker federal center and is part of the general ungovernability of India.

I mean it’s been a bit done to death in the thread sure but if anything it’s just a small indicator of some of the issues that really do drive Indian politics and it’s not a small matter to Indians.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I can't believe I read the whole thing in an hour. Thanks for the read mate!

(Modi is a nationalist machiavellian hell-bent on answering the Hindu-Muslim question with a hard HINDUTVA.)

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 7, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Something funny happened last month in one of India's states: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-50402748

The Shiv Sena, a party that's even more right-wing Hindutva supremacist than Modi's BJP, broke its alliance with the BJP to form a coalition with the Congress party and one of its splinters. It didn't matter that the Indian National Congress and the Nationalist Congress Party have ideologies that are completely incompatible with the Shiv Sena, or that the SS had a history of strongly opposing the Congress(es) by insisting on their corruption: there was a short-term political gain to make.

The question now is how will voters react in the next elections.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of something funny, there was a doctors vs lawyers brawl in Pakistan:

quote:

Video showed the lawyers ransacking wards at the cardiac hospital, beating up staff and smashing equipment.

As panic spread, doctors and paramedics hid, leaving patients unattended, including those in a critical state.

Riot police fired tear gas to disperse the lawyers and more than 20 arrests were made. It took more than two hours to restore order, officials said.

The lawyers had been protesting over the alleged mistreatment of some of their colleagues by hospital staff last month.

But the final trigger for the violence appears to have been a video posted on social media by a doctor on Tuesday night in which he poked fun at the lawyers.
According to hospital administrators, more than 200 lawyers wielding sticks stormed Lahore's Punjab Institute of Cardiology (PIC) at midday on Wednesday.

Hospital officials said the lawyers forced their way past security and split into groups, attacking various departments and wards.

Video footage shared on social media showed lawyers - in suits and ties - smashing medical equipment and windows, and beating up staff and officials including Punjab information minister Fayazul Hasan Chauhan who had arrived on the scene to try to restore calm.
Hospital sources said at least three patients - a woman and two men - died because doctors could not attend to them during the violence. It is believed that the woman had been in the intensive care unit.
I guess it's not so funny that innocent people might've died (or it could be doctor's propaganda), but :wtc: how does this happen

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

I guess it's not so funny that innocent people might've died (or it could be doctor's propaganda), but :wtc: how does this happen

It’s Pakistan. I could explain but even Lovecraft couldn’t conceive of the horrors within the explanation

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

mobby_6kl posted:

Reminds me of some of the crowd brutality which took place in the late stage of the nazis rise to power.

Pretty much exactly like that, like it could be straight out of that period and I wouldn't bat an eye.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

So... are they all criminally responsible for the deaths of patients who died during this stupid stunt? Because I feel like it'd be the case in the US.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Joey Steel posted:

So... are they all criminally responsible for the deaths of patients who died during this stupid stunt? Because I feel like it'd be the case in the US.

I can direct you to a couple hundred lawyers that would say no, they're not.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Crossposting from USNEWS:

Otteration posted:

India: largest protests in decades signal Modi may have gone too far
theguardian.com/Dec 2019
"Demonstrations against citizenship act continue despite ban, uniting people of all ages, castes and religions"
"Standing in the shadow of Delhi’s historic red fort, SA Khan pushed angrily against the wall of police barricades blocking his way. Khan, like thousands of others, had planned to take part in a peaceful march through the capital to voice his opposition to India’s new citizenship law, but the authorities had other plans."
The largest in decades? The same year Modi won a titanic landslide?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Crossposting from USNEWS:

The largest in decades? The same year Modi won a titanic landslide?

His "landslide" was only with like 37% of the vote. FPTP strikes again.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grape posted:

Do actual scholars call those "population replacements" or is that your own spin on things.

yes, but it is not remotely synonymous with genocide. If you look at genetic studies of India male Indo-European lineages introgressed rapidly into the subcontinent while indigenous paternal lineages were more likely to disappear or decrease in frequency, that is to say local men were much less likely to have kids than the new migrants from central Asia. This likely implies a power differential between the new arrivals and older population, but there's many different ways that could have manifested to produce the observed pattern.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

"Genetic redistribution" is the new hip term.

I have never, under any circumstance, not even in the insane racist ramblings of the far right, heard anyone use that phrase. You might be thinking of the concept of introgression, an actual term used in population biology by professionals.

XMNN posted:

last time I was at the pub one of my friends (of Punjabi Sikh descent) complained about having to speak English in southern India to make himself understood

he thinks they should all be made to learn Hindi, because a country can't function without an overarching language for practical reasons and English shouldn't be it because it's too much like imperialism, which I think is a reasonable point but I said that making everyone learn Hindi is basically another form of imperialism

he specifically mentioned the whole Spain and Castilian Spanish thing, and I pointed out that Catalonians and other minorities weren't exactly thrilled by that. also the way the British and the French (and presumably everywhere with regional dialects) did it was essentially just beating the poo poo out of children

he also thinks that my suggestion that, if they're going to do it, then the equitable thing is to make at least a token concession to multilingualism by making everyone including Hindi speakers learn at least two national languages (excluding English) at school (which is what Switzerland does) is pointless as he doesn't see why they should as they already speak hindi and there are too many other languages to choose from

I'm not sure what my point is, other than that his idea seems flawed to me, given the whole Modi/Hindu nationalism thing, and that maybe people de facto communicating in English might be a better compromise than imposing a single central language on a bunch of regions so you can turn a subcontinent into a nation state

I think I'm wondering which of us is the (most) racist?

e: for context, I'm white and British so I'm pretty sure the answer to that is me

following independence there was actually a serious push to adopt Hindi as the primary language of the courts and government of India. It was seen as part of the project of decolonizing Indian society, and creating a new unified Indian nation. However very quickly southern Indians turned hard against the idea. With the British gone they began to fear institutionalized dominance of the Hindi speaking north, and instead turned hard in favor of maintaining English as the primary language of administration and education. As a result the push to reform language policy stalled out, and basically fell apart in the nineteen sixties. Many post-colonial states have had similar experiences.

Essentially they have become stuck with the colonial language not so much because of concerns over international competitiveness, but because in a plurali-national environment adopting any one of the many local languages is seen as unfair to all the rest. Sticking with the European language might not be anybody's first choice, but it is a compromise position a lot of people (sometimes grudgingly) have decided to live with. Malay in Indonesia fulfills a similar role.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Sticking with the nonwhite Commonwealth where English has some officially-defined place as elite medium of instruction, accepted language of petitions, legislation, or judicial decisions, &c:

- English or English creoles at independence: the British West Indies, generally (I'm not going to name every island)
- wholesale switch to English as the spoken-at-home language of majority of population: Singapore. I think this is the standout case from <1% at independence in the 1960s. Note this is not merely "fluent in English" but "primary language at home" in the span of five decades; a language shift of this magnitude and rapidity is seen essentially nowhere else short of ethnic cleansing. There's a bunch of idiosyncratic factors there: tiny size, Malay nationalist context, Chinese dialects collapsing anyway in the face of diasporic nationalist switch to Mandarin, &c. Change of this kind isn't impossible - someone upthread mentioned Indonesia, which is also unusually successful at imposing a once-niche language (Malay) but even then its success as the language at home has 'only' risen from <1% to 20% in the census in that time.
- small increases in English as the spoken-at-home language, but not as majority of population: Malaysia, South Africa, Botswana, Kenya, Uganda, Belize... by country this seems to be the most common. All of these seem to be single-digit or thereabouts, there don't seem to be any big increases
- small decreases in English as the spoken-at-home language: India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan? By population this is probably the most common (India...)

(There doesn't seem to be a conveniently centralized database for these, I am checking country by country. Apologies if I have missed any cases)

Besides Singapore, which clearly had some unique cultural dynamics going on, one is not really talking about ethno-linguistic replacement wholesale. It is true that language politics has been a controversial struggle in India since independence, but nowhere in India was English previously dominant as such; rather the contemporary dynamic is the secondary language or regional lingua franca steadily shifting from English to Hindi. Generally, languages at home have resisted change by statute. Secondary languages are vulnerable to alterations in medium-of-instruction or statutory support, however. If I speak Malayalam at home and my coworker speaks Tamil at home, if we are not mutually bilingual, English will probably be mutually acceptable "office language", and there is sensitivity to whether a language favouring someone else is challenging the status quo. This is an onion with layers - e.g. a live issue in Kerala is whether attempts to defend Malayalam from Hindi are instead entrenching Malayalam too much, which would be problematic for Kannada-speaking minorities in Kerala.

XMNN posted:

last time I was at the pub one of my friends (of Punjabi Sikh descent) complained about having to speak English in southern India to make himself understood

he thinks they should all be made to learn Hindi, because a country can't function without an overarching language for practical reasons and English shouldn't be it because it's too much like imperialism, which I think is a reasonable point but I said that making everyone learn Hindi is basically another form of imperialism

he specifically mentioned the whole Spain and Castilian Spanish thing, and I pointed out that Catalonians and other minorities weren't exactly thrilled by that. also the way the British and the French (and presumably everywhere with regional dialects) did it was essentially just beating the poo poo out of children

he also thinks that my suggestion that, if they're going to do it, then the equitable thing is to make at least a token concession to multilingualism by making everyone including Hindi speakers learn at least two national languages (excluding English) at school (which is what Switzerland does) is pointless as he doesn't see why they should as they already speak hindi and there are too many other languages to choose from

I'm not sure what my point is, other than that his idea seems flawed to me, given the whole Modi/Hindu nationalism thing, and that maybe people de facto communicating in English might be a better compromise than imposing a single central language on a bunch of regions so you can turn a subcontinent into a nation state

I think I'm wondering which of us is the (most) racist?

e: for context, I'm white and British so I'm pretty sure the answer to that is me

The problem specifically is the decline in the firewall between a language of communication versus a language of heritage and identity - English is sufficiently foreign that southern Indian states can promote it without fearing that Anglophone culture will erase or displace regional identity. For the 40% that speak Hindi, the language of one's cultural heritage and the language of industry and commerce are one and the same. Refusing to at least learn another native language underscores the anxiety that north Indians do not actually regard the assorted parts of south India as authentically Indian and would be quite fine with that erasure and ensuing replacement with some Bharat Mata identity. Half a century of English as a secondary language has not made it a primary language, not even close. But that's not the case with Hindi, which has successfully consolidated itself in the Hindi belt.

The distinction is like... say, British schools spending some time teaching French vs the tenacity of the Gaelic medium schools in emphasizing immersion (i.e., the exclusion of English) due to the otherwise already dominant place of English in other spheres of life. There is no sense that French will displace English in Britain. But there is a sense that English could displace Gaelic over time (as it has). The Switzerland shift toward a neutral secondary language noted upthread is interesting, although I'm not sure it was a conscious shift at a national policy level.

ronya fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 22, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/repaoc/status/1234593931532423169?s=21

Linked article is a good (read: horrifying) summary of the recent Delhi pogrom.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This was the freshest thread involving India vs. Pakistan, so I figured I'd drop a congratulations here to India for having only 341 COVID-19 cases, while Pakistan has 646.

Perhaps if someone points out to the Indian government that it is losing on points to Pakistan, they will begin testing and reporting for real and announce some serious numbers.

News sources say their reporting is now up to about 420, but just lol. A massive country of 1.2 billion, the world's second largest, bordering China, with dense and chaotic population centers. 400-ish cases. Even Thailand is reporting more cases lol.

The most impressive thing so far is that, from what I can see, no one has called India out on this in a big way. Pakistan gets a little more leeway for being Pakistan, of course. I mean nobody's yelling at Romania.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ronya posted:

The Switzerland shift toward a neutral secondary language noted upthread is interesting, although I'm not sure it was a conscious shift at a national policy level.

Like you mentioned earlier, Nigeria is the prime example of a policy-oriented transition to a national language. Everyone with a little pigin can understand everyone else and outside biafra has tamped down separatism

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ReindeerF posted:

This was the freshest thread involving India vs. Pakistan, so I figured I'd drop a congratulations here to India for having only 341 COVID-19 cases, while Pakistan has 646.

Perhaps if someone points out to the Indian government that it is losing on points to Pakistan, they will begin testing and reporting for real and announce some serious numbers.

News sources say their reporting is now up to about 420, but just lol. A massive country of 1.2 billion, the world's second largest, bordering China, with dense and chaotic population centers. 400-ish cases. Even Thailand is reporting more cases lol.

The most impressive thing so far is that, from what I can see, no one has called India out on this in a big way. Pakistan gets a little more leeway for being Pakistan, of course. I mean nobody's yelling at Romania.

Everyone is too worried about whats happening to themselves to care that some other place is being dumb.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Generally speaking, neighboring countries are pro-care, heh. Of course if you're India you're kind of lucky in that regard, because China's the only big boy next door and they're in a glass house situation for a bit longer.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Covid statistics are going to be bullshit anyway because excessively few countries have the means to test everyone; and none have the means to test everyone daily. When it comes to choosing who gets tested, there are so many factors that can be different that you end up comparing apples with walruses.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Just loving lol. Second most populated country in the world, not even reporting in the top, what, 30? If you've spent any time in the developing world you can read that like a map - India has a massive number of cases and is trying not to report them. That's fine if you're, you know, Mali or Brunei. When you're the size of India with as many people as India, traveling and living all over the world like India, and you border as many countries as India, it's serious.

Watch the news. India is going to explode onto world headlines in the next week or so.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How much of India's population is elderly/immunocompromised/obese?

Edit: 100 million over the age of 60. Huh.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

mila kunis posted:

It's probably an unsolveable problem under the current system.

Is it a problem though?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

India thankfully has BCG Vacination at birth tho - don't expect their numbers to be as bad as comparable worst-case

(E. Dependant on bcg vacine efficacy on covid-19 naturally)

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 25, 2020

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

India announced yesterday a "total lockdown" of the entire country for 21 days.

I'm no expert, but I have spent a few weeks in different parts of India. My impression is that they are not, as a state, capable of doing this. Their cities are so dense and chaotic. The countryside so poor. The state doesn't have a ton of money to throw at problems, let alone one on this scale. And I don't believe they have the organizational capacity to make up for the lack of funds.

It uh could get a bit rough.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Count Roland posted:

India announced yesterday a "total lockdown" of the entire country for 21 days.

I'm no expert, but I have spent a few weeks in different parts of India. My impression is that they are not, as a state, capable of doing this. Their cities are so dense and chaotic. The countryside so poor. The state doesn't have a ton of money to throw at problems, let alone one on this scale. And I don't believe they have the organizational capacity to make up for the lack of funds.

It uh could get a bit rough.

On the other hand is there a cultural fear of disaster that might make people more likely to stick to the plan that the kind of idiot that lives in the west?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What's interesting about the lockdown in India is the timescale and severity - total lockdown (ie not leaving your house at all) for 21 days, announced to start a few hours later. People are going to starve to death in their millions if this is enforced, surely? What kind of insane logistics are needed to supply 1.3 billion people with food on the fly needed to make this work?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I can't find the original source now but I read it wasn't supposed to be a total lockdown, food and other essential stuff was supposed to be open. But on the other hand they're doing this:

India announces World’s largest food security scheme to 80 crore people. Rs.2/kg for wheat, Rs.3/kg for Rice for three months [like 4c/kg??]

quote:

India announces an ambitious food security scheme to cover 80 crores (800 million) of its population for the next few months

A day after the declaration of the 21-day lockdown to prevent the Coronavirus pandemic, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday announced the world’s largest food security scheme to benefit 80 crore people across the country. Briefing media, Union Minister Prakash Javadekar said that every person who comes under this scheme will get 7 kg ration per month for the next three months, including wheat at a cost of Rs.2 per kg and rice at cost of Rs.3 per kg. The 80-crore people who would come under this scheme are those who use the Public Distribution System (PDS) and financially downtrodden, explained the Minister.
https://www.pgurus.com/india-announ...r-three-months/

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/ajaishukla/status/1264023829778587648?s=21

lol Jesus gently caress

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What's going on with the water scarcity crisis? This was the year that 21 cities were supposed to completely run out of groundwater.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1272807308100349952

Between the pandemic and everything in the US being a shitshow, I completely forgot that this was going on until now.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
nvm, quote is not edit

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I remember, back a couple of mobths ago, a poster saying that Pakistan's high commans was probably worried, since India had managed to move the armies necessary to Kashmir without them noticing.

What happenned here? Did China just pull the same trick?

I still can't believe you can move a division in this day and age withour everybody and their cleaning ladies knowing, but here we are.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Wonder what China is up to. India and China already have poor relations in Kashmir so I doubt this really changes anything.

Edit: That guff about India moving hundreds of thousands of troops overnight without being spotted was a load of rubbish. Indian troop build up was being tracked from like 2 weeks beforehand, the whole scenario was a complete fabrication.

Flayer fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 16, 2020

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Ah makes sense. Thanks.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/SushantSin/status/1272935871642251267

20 announced dead so far.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Are we really supposed to believe that 20 soldiers have died as a consequence of stone throwing and fistfights?

I bet China shelled them and it's being covered up to avoid further escalation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Are we really supposed to believe that 20 soldiers have died as a consequence of stone throwing and fistfights?

I bet China shelled them and it's being covered up to avoid further escalation.

Fistfights in the Himalayas, remember. Our regular Everest thread is a helpful reminder that even minor injuries will deeply gently caress you over up there.