Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

NtotheTC posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1205230908837523456

Talking smugly about code and programming (and physics) without having the faintest idea how it works counts as a horror right?

Wasn't he a software developer at one point? Maybe not a good one, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

NtotheTC posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1205230908837523456

Talking smugly about code and programming (and physics) without having the faintest idea how it works counts as a horror right?

Pretty much anything he touches counts

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/_taylorswope/status/1205252714680045568

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
When writing services in node, you might accidentally block the event loop and kill all concurrency. The best way to solve this is by using a sane language and runtime instead.

What you could also do is just run your application completely single-threaded and have a Docker container per request.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Elon thinking he's the main character in a video game explains a lot about his behavior

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like how they had multiple devs and qa testers experience the problem and were at first like "well maybe this is a fluke that players will never see"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
that's not what happened. it was a known issue but marked KS because low repro amount, and no repro steps. when you're dealing with a mountain of QA load and you have to ship something, you tend to focus on high repro bugs

had a ton of one-time-only bugs that we were never, ever to repro after 10 hours. will players hit it? yeah. can we ever fix it? no, too far down the bug list.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

1/18

just get a loving blog, jeez

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
also do note that the QA person understood the game systems well enough to go from a random review mentioning "climbing nothing", to piecing together a hypothesis, testing and creating full repro steps. that is the value of a VERY good QA lead, when they understand the game systems more than anyone else on the team.

QA guys are seen as "game testers" but like nobody who sits there hammering away at bugs will get far in QA.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

that's not what happened.

It's what he says happened, but okay!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

From this twitter thread: here's a story about troubleshooting a hardware bug in a raspberry pi that turned off every time you took a picture of it.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

QuarkJets posted:

It isn't, read again carefully.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

QuarkJets posted:

No, that's the opposite of what he said happened. They spent a whole bunch of time trying to track down what the problem was and when they failed to find it before the game shipped they hoped the reason they hadn't been able to find it was because it was just a rare fluke that wouldn't matter.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Fool posted:

Elon thinking he's the main character in a video game explains a lot about his behavior

Nah. He’s a cancer diagnosis away from being a James Bond supervillain.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

That would explain the gigafactory injury rate

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
It did seem like more people were falling into lava pits and being eaten by piranhas than you would expect.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
If I was ever having problems replicating a rare bug, I'd simply leave the software running in a room full of vacuum cleaners :smug:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I would just make a post on the internet, anywhere on the internet crowing about how proud I am that there are no bugs at all in my software

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

No, that's the opposite of what he said happened. They spent a whole bunch of time trying to track down what the problem was and when they failed to find it before the game shipped they hoped the reason they hadn't been able to find it was because it was just a rare fluke that wouldn't matter.

I didn't say that they hoped it would go away in lieu of debugging. The tweets said "all hopes of this being a weird fluke only a couple devs would ever see were dashed, as players all over the place started reporting their companion quests failing", which is what I am referring to.

Eggnogium posted:

It isn't, read again carefully.

lol

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

QuarkJets posted:

I like how they had multiple devs and qa testers experience the problem and were at first like "well maybe this is a fluke that players will never see"

"There were one or two cases before launch where this issue seemed to happen, but no one in QA ever managed to reproduce it and despite our best efforts we couldn't learn anything concrete about it (4/18)"

They only saw it once or twice during testing, and began to hope it was just a fluke after spending a long time digging into it with no success.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

"There were one or two cases before launch where this issue seemed to happen, but no one in QA ever managed to reproduce it and despite our best efforts we couldn't learn anything concrete about it (4/18)"

They only saw it once or twice during testing, and began to hope it was just a fluke after spending a long time digging into it with no success.

"At first" was meant to be relative to the release date, not the debugging cycle, sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

What I found amusing was putting in all of that debugging effort and then being like "... maybe it's just a fluke with the Dev build". Because then, like clockwork, of course it winds up being a widespread issue.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's probably a lesson in there about being wary when qa is doing things differently to end users.

I'm going to guess that players sat there reading dialogue long enough for the character to ghost-climb to lethal heights way more than qa sat there looking at a dialogue box they'd seen a million times before.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

oh my god now the raspberry pi thread title makes sense

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

If I was ever having problems replicating a rare bug, I'd simply leave the software running in a room full of vacuum cleaners :smug:

I wondered how long it would take for someone to bring up the hardest bug ever. My fav is the wires crosstalk one.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jabor posted:

There's probably a lesson in there about being wary when qa is doing things differently to end users.

I'm going to guess that players sat there reading dialogue long enough for the character to ghost-climb to lethal heights way more than qa sat there looking at a dialogue box they'd seen a million times before.

I guarantee that there were qa tests that were just "load a chat dialog and wait ten minutes, did it crash?"

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Games are basically Highly Profitable Coding Horrors.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is the worst thing I've seen all year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXUSvSUsx80

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is the worst thing I've seen all year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXUSvSUsx80

Cursed video

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jabor posted:

QA, over the course of the project, runs one millionth of the content that users will brute force on day 1. The "thing" that end users are doing differently is volume, an amount of volume that is infeasible to run (much less collect errors from, triage, and debug to completion) pre-launch. Your 'guess' is notably poo poo because QA saw & reported the bug, there is no categorical "QA clicked thru too fast" error if that happened.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Also, Outer Worlds is the most technically polished and relatively bug-free game Obsidian has ever put out, so whatever they're doing with QA, they're doing it right this time. I'm happy to be writing compilers where all bugs are at least pretty easy to reproduce, rather than the crazy nondeterministic simulations that games truly are.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
The annual State of JS survey results are in, and I thought the wording of one question belongs in this thread: https://2019.stateofjs.com/demographics/jobTitle

How do you introduce yourself at parties?
Full Stack Developer/Engineer: 48.3%
Front End Developer/Engineer: 36.6%
Web Developer: 11.7%
Back End Developer/Engineer: 3.4%

I can't stop giggling at the thought of somebody calling themselves a "full stack engineer" at a party like they're the guy in that famous Mitchell and Webb sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

The annual State of JS survey results are in, and I thought the wording of one question belongs in this thread: https://2019.stateofjs.com/demographics/jobTitle

How do you introduce yourself at parties?
Full Stack Developer/Engineer: 48.3%
Front End Developer/Engineer: 36.6%
Web Developer: 11.7%
Back End Developer/Engineer: 3.4%

I can't stop giggling at the thought of somebody calling themselves a "full stack engineer" at a party like they're the guy in that famous Mitchell and Webb sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I

I introduce myself as a Redditor.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I find it difficult to imagine the kind of party where people would press you for exactly what kind of computer touching you do. If someone asks me in a casual setting what I do for a living, I say I program computers and briefly describe what the company I work for does. I don't think anyone has ever responded by asking me what programming languages I know.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"Frontend" is such a weird description. It's as if there's normal programmers and then a group of people who somehow only know Javascript.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

"I make boring websites for boring businesses"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

rt4 posted:

"Frontend" is such a weird description. It's as if there's normal programmers and then a group of people who somehow only know Javascript.

That's not wrong.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i say i do the cloud poo poo

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

rt4 posted:

It is weird.

People who only know Javascript almost always call themselves "full stack."

Hammerite posted:

I find it difficult to imagine the kind of party where people would press you for exactly what kind of computer touching you do. If someone asks me in a casual setting what I do for a living, I say I program computers and briefly describe what the company I work for does. I don't think anyone has ever responded by asking me what programming languages I know.

Come to Seattle I guess?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hammerite posted:

This. I literally just respond by saying "I work for <company>" and 99 times of 100 the conversation moves on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Like someone semi-jokingly said at work today: "You can't be a true full stack developer unless you butcher your own meat"