Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Welcome to fishing, where the methods are made up and the species don't matter (cus we'll call it a sea bass)

unless it's a """trout"""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Hooplah posted:

unless it's a """trout"""

That's speckled sea trout to you chief

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LingcodKilla posted:

On the east coast the call striped sea bass “rockfish”.

I’ve only heard of a few people insisting on calling rockfish “sea bass”. Usually if it’s something it’s “snapper” or “rock cod”.
I've only heard of them being called rockfish in Maryland. Virginia and south on the east coast they're definitely called striped bass or stripers. The true striped bass pros on Mantauk call them stripers also.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dik Hz posted:

I've only heard of them being called rockfish in Maryland. Virginia and south on the east coast they're definitely called striped bass or stripers. The true striped bass pros on Mantauk call them stripers also.

I get all my east coast fish facts second hand so I gladly yield the podium.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I just bought two saltwater fly setups and I live like 800 miles from the nearest place I can use them (unless i fish for LMBs or musky or pike with them). Gotta practice if I want to fish for bonefish and redfish, right? That's what I'm telling my wife and bank account anyway.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

charliebravo77 posted:

I just bought two saltwater fly setups and I live like 800 miles from the nearest place I can use them (unless i fish for LMBs or musky or pike with them). Gotta practice if I want to fish for bonefish and redfish, right? That's what I'm telling my wife and bank account anyway.

How many fly casts does it take to catch a muskie? 1..2..

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Friend of mine fishes musky in Hayward Wisconsin mid November and does really well. All up in a snowsuit and once a good cold spell hits it's done. Knocking ice out of the eyelets and such. I fish salmon in the spring on Lake Superior and it can be fairly ridiculously cold even with open water.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

10,000 last I heard.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

charliebravo77 posted:

10,000 last I heard.

Haha :same:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

charliebravo77 posted:

I was in NoLa last summer on vacation and got a guide to take me flyfishing for redfish. Holy gently caress is it hard. He got me over a dozen quality shots in 3 hours and I only got 2 hookups. One landed.

You absolutely gotta practice and bring your own rod to kill it down there. I'm used to slow glass 5-wts and he was asking me to put a weighted fly at the end of a super fast 9-wt within a dinner plate from 60' out on a moving boat. I could do it with my rod, or his rod with a week to practice. I honestly can't believe I caught one, looking back at it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yeah I just ordered some purple shrimp flies to practice with. Should be easy to see against the impending frozen hellscape of Chicago. Definitely want a solid 2-3 months and practice a few times a week before I book a flight and guide to somewhere warmer.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
The thought of getting a guided fly trip in next year is sure a nice one... I've been practicing the mechanics in ponds but havent done any "true" fly fishing in rivers yet.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I guess I officially have a new hobby now.

Tenkara ~1wt, 5wt, 8wt and 10wt.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I briefly messed with one of those owned by a member of the fly club, they are slick as hell.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Gooch181 posted:

The thought of getting a guided fly trip in next year is sure a nice one... I've been practicing the mechanics in ponds but havent done any "true" fly fishing in rivers yet.

The biggest difference with moving water is flipping your line to keep the drift looking natural, ie no tension on the tippet

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

The biggest difference with moving water is flipping your line to keep the drift looking natural, ie no tension on the tippet
I kinda disagree. You catch way more trout within a couple seconds of your fly hitting the water than you do at the end of a long drift. The biggest difference with moving water is patience. Take your time and analyze a pool or run. 90% of your fish are caught on the first cast. So take your time and make your first cast your best cast. Based on your observations, you should know if the trout are at the tail end or head of a pool or run. You should know where they're feeding in the water column. You should have an angle planned out, and keep low to avoid spooking them. You should observe the currents and eddies and have the appropriate weight on your fly to get it down to where the trout are feeding if you're nymphing. If casting dries, you should have your fly treated so it floats how you want it to. You should be looking for slack water. Take the time and observe before rotely casting every inch of water.

My father gave me the best advice: The best way to fish a promising pool is to smoke a cigar before you fish it. It gives you time to observe and keeps the mosquitoes off you. I don't smoke, but the advice is apt.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I hear ya. We're talking the same language. I think your first few seconds are the most drag free. My advice is when you're having to float (or sink) a fly some distance to get over the fish. There's different current speeds hitting every length of the line and keeping it as natural floating as possible is the skill I'm talking about. Basically it's just flipping the line to keep tension off. Trout, especially limestone creek trout, definitely balk at.things that don't look natural.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

I kinda disagree. You catch way more trout within a couple seconds of your fly hitting the water than you do at the end of a long drift. The biggest difference with moving water is patience. Take your time and analyze a pool or run. 90% of your fish are caught on the first cast. So take your time and make your first cast your best cast. Based on your observations, you should know if the trout are at the tail end or head of a pool or run. You should know where they're feeding in the water column. You should have an angle planned out, and keep low to avoid spooking them. You should observe the currents and eddies and have the appropriate weight on your fly to get it down to where the trout are feeding if you're nymphing. If casting dries, you should have your fly treated so it floats how you want it to. You should be looking for slack water. Take the time and observe before rotely casting every inch of water.

My father gave me the best advice: The best way to fish a promising pool is to smoke a cigar before you fish it. It gives you time to observe and keeps the mosquitoes off you. I don't smoke, but the advice is apt.

I read a story when I was younger about someone army crawling up to rivers to catch big lunkers that normally wouldn't bite, not breaking the water until you read it kind of thing. This summer, 20 some years later, I saw a bass at the end of a dock that wouldn't bite and came back the next day, stopped a good 10+ feet from shore and cast to the end of the dock where I saw it last and nailed it almost instantly. I didn't fish the rest of the day, I felt like such hot poo poo. One cast, one fish, go relax and drink something cold and replay it over and over. Trick the ol wiley fish and let it go until next time. Going to think about that fish for a long time

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I read a story when I was younger about someone army crawling up to rivers to catch big lunkers that normally wouldn't bite, not breaking the water until you read it kind of thing. This summer, 20 some years later, I saw a bass at the end of a dock that wouldn't bite and came back the next day, stopped a good 10+ feet from shore and cast to the end of the dock where I saw it last and nailed it almost instantly. I didn't fish the rest of the day, I felt like such hot poo poo. One cast, one fish, go relax and drink something cold and replay it over and over. Trick the ol wiley fish and let it go until next time. Going to think about that fish for a long time

That's a hell of a story.

Just chiming in to say I'm trying to teach myself how to fly fish streams when I'm used to lakes, and I'm quite used to leaving my line out and having the stripping action (and pauses) do all of the work for me. It's quite valuable to know that stream fishing is so different in that I have to be better at calculating where the fly lands and quicker to pick up the line so it doesn't disturb the current so much. Something for me to chew on, thanks.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
Learn how to roll cast. That's about all I have on fly fishing.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It's coming. The head of the bay froze up over the weekend. Crazies are out with spuds (rebar with a chisel point welded on), checking ice thickness. Reports are coming in of early ice monster walleye. Everyone who went through last year has forgotten about it and is itching to get that early ice awesomeness.

My rule is to walk on when others are taking 4 wheelers-snowmobiles and take snowmobile when others are driving. I won't take my truck onto the ice. Nor do I have a snowmobile this year... Hopefully it'll get cold, stay cold, and let us get a good 12" of black ice. Maybe fishing next weekend.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Apparently last weekend was an amazing weekend for walleye on Lake Winnipeg as long as you weren't dumb enough to drive out in a full sized pickup. Buddy of mine landed 10 eaters.

As for the dumb ones

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What in tarnation...

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:canada: Oh, Canada! :canada:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My wife just told me final count was 4 vehicles, the trailer, and 3 people went through the ice. No fatalities. The black pickup is now on the bottom and the trailer is still stuck in the ice.

And our public auto insurance is likely going to cover everything.

Later on in the year we get up to 5' of ice, but definitely not now!

I usually ride my bike.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

I hear ya. We're talking the same language. I think your first few seconds are the most drag free. My advice is when you're having to float (or sink) a fly some distance to get over the fish. There's different current speeds hitting every length of the line and keeping it as natural floating as possible is the skill I'm talking about. Basically it's just flipping the line to keep tension off. Trout, especially limestone creek trout, definitely balk at.things that don't look natural.
Limestone creek trout are way easier to catch than wild mountain trout. Scud pattern, lead in the scud body. Even feeding trout will take it. Limestone pools and runs are deep, so get your nymphs down. Mountain trout are an absolute bitch when they're in the tails foraging. When they're keyed up at the head of the plunge pool, they're easy.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I wouldn't say I army crawl, but I definitely approach pools on my hands and knees.

My grandfather didn't flyfish, but he was an absolute master of trout fishing. One time, when I was ~4 years old, he told us he was going fishing in the stream across the field from his house. Limestone spring creek in the middle of a cow pasture. It was eroded as gently caress, but there were still some trout in it. He told me and my bro to come down in 15 minutes. He walked across the field, made one cast with a worm under a bobber. He was far enough away from the lip of the stream that he couldn't actually see the water. First drift, caught a 14" trout, which is huge for that stream. We get down there and he smiles at us and told us that he was saving that one for when we came to visit. He knew exactly where it would be and caught it first cast without ever even seeing the water. What a legend. The trout tasted fantastic. My grandma sauteed it in lemon butter with a watercress salad.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Now that, friends, is a fishing story.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I dropped a rockfish on my lap when i was much younger and it bloated up pretty drat big. My uncle laughed at me crying saying it was no big deal he got spined all the time. We put the fish aside and I was made sure I ate him.

That poo poo hurt. I dont recommend it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

I wouldn't say I army crawl, but I definitely approach pools on my hands and knees.

My grandfather didn't flyfish, but he was an absolute master of trout fishing. One time, when I was ~4 years old, he told us he was going fishing in the stream across the field from his house. Limestone spring creek in the middle of a cow pasture. It was eroded as gently caress, but there were still some trout in it. He told me and my bro to come down in 15 minutes. He walked across the field, made one cast with a worm under a bobber. He was far enough away from the lip of the stream that he couldn't actually see the water. First drift, caught a 14" trout, which is huge for that stream. We get down there and he smiles at us and told us that he was saving that one for when we came to visit. He knew exactly where it would be and caught it first cast without ever even seeing the water. What a legend. The trout tasted fantastic. My grandma sauteed it in lemon butter with a watercress salad.

I want to fish little cricks like that so badly but never have, great story

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I wanted to learn fly fishing so bad as a kid. My grandfather had an original copy of "Anatomy of a Fisherman" that was just beautiful. (From the guy who wrote Anatomy of a Murder and was a judge not far from me) So my dad takes me out to the local fly fishing hot spot and sends me out with my craptastic fly fishing rod. We see an older gentleman with a cigar, fishing hat, cane rod, the whole works. I walk up and say in my best 10 year old voice, "Excuse me sir, can you please show me how you fly fish?"

He responds, "Piss off kid."

So I piss off. My grandfather catches word and gives me an address. Says, "Go see Shike". A few days later I knock on the door and a guy so old he probably fished on the Ark lets me in. We talk fishing for a bit, he tells me how to cast, then we head to the lower level of the house. It is filled from front to back with fly fishing supplies. Literally like the fly fishing section at a Cabelas. He grabs a grocery bag and starts stuffing it with hackle, elk hair, deer hair, polar bear hair, hooks, loving everything. Then his wife comes home and feeds me cookies. Shike was cool.

edit : This was the book I had, if you can find it in a library do so, it's beautiful.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 13, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

He’s up in fisherman’s heaven right now catching 5lb golden trout.

The first guy is dealing with a leak in his boots and 100lb carp-devil instawrecking his every cast.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hell, it might even be true. :)

Where you at. If you're in the driftless I can put you on water like that.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Hell, it might even be true. :)

Where you at. If you're in the driftless I can put you on water like that.

WI Driftless area? I'm in Chicago and am definitely planning to jump over the border. I've been hunting and fishing in the IL Driftless area for a few years now.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SO.
Yesterday, after being completely skunked my last four trips (minus one day with 4 dinky catfish), I figured it was probably the end of fishing for the year. But today, I figured, I have an hour and a half to kill, may as well head down to the public pier downtown and use some of these bait shrimp.
I have never had a bit of luck in this spot, and the river was running way high and way fast. After 15 minutes in the current, I toss it into a spot where a feeder creek comes in; I figure the spot is a loser because it's shallow and the water's cold, but at least it's out of the worst of the current; I say I'll give it 10 minutes then leave.

Then bam, the rod (one of my bigger pier rods) bends hard enough that the butt comes up off the deck. I assume it's a floating log or something snagged the line but nope, turned out to be a new personal best blue catfish. And a personal best fish *period*, at 10 lbs and a bit over 2 feet.

oh shrimp. Any fishing trips made with any other bait were an incorrect choice made in a life that I no longer maintain.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

SO.
Yesterday, after being completely skunked my last four trips (minus one day with 4 dinky catfish), I figured it was probably the end of fishing for the year. But today, I figured, I have an hour and a half to kill, may as well head down to the public pier downtown and use some of these bait shrimp.
I have never had a bit of luck in this spot, and the river was running way high and way fast. After 15 minutes in the current, I toss it into a spot where a feeder creek comes in; I figure the spot is a loser because it's shallow and the water's cold, but at least it's out of the worst of the current; I say I'll give it 10 minutes then leave.

Then bam, the rod (one of my bigger pier rods) bends hard enough that the butt comes up off the deck. I assume it's a floating log or something snagged the line but nope, turned out to be a new personal best blue catfish. And a personal best fish *period*, at 10 lbs and a bit over 2 feet.

oh shrimp. Any fishing trips made with any other bait were an incorrect choice made in a life that I no longer maintain.

Hell yeah!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

charliebravo77 posted:

WI Driftless area? I'm in Chicago and am definitely planning to jump over the border. I've been hunting and fishing in the IL Driftless area for a few years now.
MN driftless. IL driftless is hopeless because it's too far south and needs heavy hatchery support to be decent. Southeast WI is tough because of all the blokes from Chicago daytripping. To get real good fishing, you need to be willing to drive further than your average Chicago day-tripper. Mat at the Driftless Angler in Viroqua, WI should be your starting point. There's a shitton of good water around there and he can give you tips on what's fishing well. His updated fishing report is at: https://www.driftlessangler.com/blog He'll put you on the popular creeks. Just open up the WI DNR web page and look for smaller water nearby with public access. You have to put in some leg work to find the amazing holes. Nobody will every tell you about them. But they exist all over. Don't ignore 1/4 mile spurs off main branches. They may look skinny, but they have amazing springs full of huge trout. My fishing buddy once pulled a 16" wild brown out of a pool the size of a large jacuzzi tub in a spring at the base of a willow tree. The run up to it from the main branch was about 18" wide at most, and 24" deep.

I'm not going to spot-burn WI Driftless, because all the water I've fished there has been because my buddy put me on it. They're not my spots to share.

Generally speaking, the best fishing in the driftless is in MN south of I-90. Nobody ever fishes it because it's far from a major population center. And the MN DNR prioritizes habitat restoration and purchasing easements from farmers over stocking. But that's a long hike from Chicago. I personally think Rushford, MN is the capital of the Driftless, but many people will disagree with me. All the water within 10 miles of there is A++ trout water.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

MN driftless. IL driftless is hopeless because it's too far south and needs heavy hatchery support to be decent. Southeast WI is tough because of all the blokes from Chicago daytripping. To get real good fishing, you need to be willing to drive further than your average Chicago day-tripper.
I am familiar with this scenario from my hunting adventures.

quote:

Mat at the Driftless Angler in Viroqua, WI should be your starting point. There's a shitton of good water around there and he can give you tips on what's fishing well. His updated fishing report is at: https://www.driftlessangler.com/blog He'll put you on the popular creeks.
Heh, I just met him at an event I was working last month. Nice guy, but I didn't get a chance to talk to him for more than a minute.

quote:

Just open up the WI DNR web page and look for smaller water nearby with public access. You have to put in some leg work to find the amazing holes. Nobody will every tell you about them. But they exist all over. Don't ignore 1/4 mile spurs off main branches. They may look skinny, but they have amazing springs full of huge trout. My fishing buddy once pulled a 16" wild brown out of a pool the size of a large jacuzzi tub in a spring at the base of a willow tree. The run up to it from the main branch was about 18" wide at most, and 24" deep.

I'm not going to spot-burn WI Driftless, because all the water I've fished there has been because my buddy put me on it. They're not my spots to share.
Cool, I've been poking around the DNR site and checked out an interesting spot in person while squirrel hunting a few weeks ago. It's class III but it's also an hour drive from home and I get the impression lots of people probably don't hit it since it's not your typical picturesque stream.

quote:

Generally speaking, the best fishing in the driftless is in MN south of I-90. Nobody ever fishes it because it's far from a major population center. And the MN DNR prioritizes habitat restoration and purchasing easements from farmers over stocking. But that's a long hike from Chicago. I personally think Rushford, MN is the capital of the Driftless, but many people will disagree with me. All the water within 10 miles of there is A++ trout water.

That's close enough for a long weekend, might have to check it out once it's slightly more tolerable to be outside for several hours. I also have a wild hair about going to north central Nebraska in the spring and doing a ~9 day trip to turkey hunt and fish a bunch of offshoots of the Niobrara River.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

charliebravo77 posted:

Cool, I've been poking around the DNR site and checked out an interesting spot in person while squirrel hunting a few weeks ago. It's class III but it's also an hour drive from home and I get the impression lots of people probably don't hit it since it's not your typical picturesque stream.
I don't want to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but Class III is trash. An hour from Chicago doesn't get you to good wild water. By all means fish it and have fun. But it's a far cry from the water I'm talking about.

Edit: btw, that stream looks typical for public access WI driftless streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

charliebravo77 posted:

That's close enough for a long weekend, might have to check it out once it's slightly more tolerable to be outside for several hours. I also have a wild hair about going to north central Nebraska in the spring and doing a ~9 day trip to turkey hunt and fish a bunch of offshoots of the Niobrara River.
Pick a sunny day in late April, and you'll get a caddis hatch, no streamside vegetation, hungry fish, and the best the area has to offer. There really are no bad times, though.