Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
usually no but people hated tlj so much I wouldn't be surprised to hear some negativity as people filtered out.

usually people seeing a premiere are the target audience so they are predisposed to be positive and that's the case here too but the target audience has a lot of bitterness so it's kind of a weird situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
People are so weird.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Walrus posted:

usually no but people hated tlj so much I wouldn't be surprised to hear some negativity as people filtered out.

there's like half an hour of advertisements and trailers between movies in almost every theater i've ever been to, just show up like 5-10 minutes after the listed start time for your showing. bonus: you'll probably miss those godawful Coke ads where they get some dead-eyed film students pretending to be excited about the coke ad they made.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I need to learn about the new Dramas on TNT though!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

my dog died im sad posted:

Do people loudly poo poo talk a movie they've just seen at a theater in your experience? I'm curious because I haven't been to a big premier in a while.

Edit: to clarify, I mean the premier showing. I haven't been to one in so long. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a common thing.

i know i sure do

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I need to learn about the new Dramas on TNT though!

i like to do the trivia slide where they challenge you to guess from 4 choices which "super" comicbook "man" will be portrayed by henry cavil int the upcoming "batman vs superman"

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
This surprises me, because most people I know who go to premiers love that one or two star wars/marvel/etc. Movies are being made a year and are into it. This is fine, just not my cup of tea. Most of the anger I encounter occurs online, and I just assumed these folks weren't going to a premier showing. Maybe seeing it in theaters at some point.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Like are the posters who wrote multiple eight paragraph screeds about Star Wars going to these premiers?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The Walrus posted:

actually he reconsiders and *then* looks up to see Ren looking at him. important difference that i have no doubt you accidentally misstated

I'm going to watch the pixies so I wont be able to argue with you about this until tomorrow i am afraid

it was a weird edit/skip in the version I watched on youtube to refresh my memory which gives a very different impression of events - so you're correct that if you take take the *third* subjective retelling of the events in question at face value Luke does indeed pause to reconsider after drawing, activating, and preparing to swing his laser sword to bisect the (apparently) sleeping body of the child that had been placed in his care

regardless have fun at the pixies, they were great when I saw them earlier this year - a much better experience than watching TLJ or arguing about it online!

e:

Like are the posters who wrote multiple eight paragraph screeds about Star Wars going to these premiers?

as someone who has obviously been being Mad Online about Star Wars recently I'm certainly not planning on going, one of the things TLJ did was largely kill off my remaining interest in Star Wars as a film franchise (beyond morbid curiousity)

I'm very excited about Cats though, it looks like my kind of shitshow

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 13, 2019

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Owlbear Camus posted:

Making him a former stormtrooper conscript opens up so many characterization and growth angles that they just drop like a hot rock between films.

Nah it's just so they can forgo any kind of Resistance intelligence gathering in lieu of exposition from a former stormtrooper to explain how they find out about weaknesses within the First Order

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kill All Cops posted:

Nah it's just so they can forgo any kind of Resistance intelligence gathering in lieu of exposition from a former stormtrooper to explain how they find out about weaknesses within the First Order

Yeah, the only way they really utilize Finn's origin after the first 15 minutes of TFA is to give a (weak) excuse to inform the heroes about everything the First Order is doing.

It's really kind of lol because apparently the janitor had access to information on the specifics of Starkiller's design, intimate knowledge of the workings of a (presumably) top secret technology to track ships in hyperspace, knowledge of a "death star canon" that had never been deployed before, etc.

It's like, man, I think the FO should stop letting janitors sit in on their top level intelligence and R&D briefings. Seems like an unnecessary security risk.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The First Order is a very open and accepting group that is transparent to all their members about everything they do, and also give sacks of gold to people who don't even fully agree with them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hey the Resistance had intel gathering capability shown in the films.

Their ace pilot on a clandesrine mission in a marked resistance military starfighter and gets captured and interrogated and Snap Wexley loving up and getting tracked back to their base on his recon run so they could have odentical Battle of Yavin stakes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If Finn was an actual janitor, why was he in Kylo’s death squad at the beginning of the movie?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

skasion posted:

If Finn was an actual janitor, why was he in Kylo’s death squad at the beginning of the movie?

Every marine a rifleman

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
snap wexley is the worst name and worst character in star wars

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

b-minus1 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/e8tl0v/the_rise_of_skywalker_last_minute_details/

Here is the latest and probably final update containing plot details for the entire movie. Major spoilers, obviously. This is going to be a trainwreck of epic proportions.

Given the ridiculous number of locations in that "spoiler", I'm inclined to believe it. If it's not an exact breakdown of the movie, it's probably better than what we will get.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

skasion posted:

The whole Finn worked in superweapon sanitation deal or whatever is pretty funny as a one-off gag, but it really doesn't work in service of the plot. So, uh, I guess Finn just happened to be brought into his first battle for no explainable reason at a very crucial time to the First Order's plans which led him to see the harsh reality and fight his Stormtrooper conditioning???? Just plain weird, man. Why not go for a similar premise of the character except now Finn's a battle-hardened soldier who has been fighting for the First Order all along but just can't take it anymore once he sees Kylo Ren's senseless brutality or some such?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It's sad that Finn didn't become the awesome character promised in the first trailers for the new trilogy

For that matter, every new character seemed awesome and cool, and the actors were great and mostly unknown, casting agency knocked it out of the park in general

Great character ideas in the first movie, even Captain Phasma looked cool as hell

Daisy Ridley seems like a great person, Adam Driver is an amazing actor (just saw him in Marriage Story), the guy who plays Poe is great in other movies

It all falls flat in the actual movies, but hey, cool ideas anyway

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Because then you would need writers and time to make it a quality product

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Owlbear Camus posted:

After TFA I was thinking/hoping they might do something where... IDK something where... story mattered and... was continued instead of reset/ignored.

lol

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Actually *watched* TFA for the first time a couple of days ago, but what severely puts me off is the amount of, i dont know how to put it, "cool" behaviour of the characters.
Like, when Finn and Poe bail in the Tiefighter, the dude-broing comedy had me in cringes.

I dont know, i liked star wars characters when they were a bit more stoic, Han Solo was a space-swashbuckler but never resorted to throwing oneliners on a per-minute basis.
Maybe its just me growing old, but i really dont like the manner in which characters interact with each other in a star wars environment.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is the leaked script from october/november still the accurate one? I've had the pleasure of reading it.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

snap wexley is the worst name and worst character in star wars
why would you name a character by loving around with "Wesley Snipes" and not have him play it??

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The whole Finn worked in superweapon sanitation deal or whatever is pretty funny as a one-off gag, but it really doesn't work in service of the plot. So, uh, I guess Finn just happened to be brought into his first battle for no explainable reason at a very crucial time to the First Order's plans which led him to see the harsh reality and fight his Stormtrooper conditioning???? Just plain weird, man. Why not go for a similar premise of the character except now Finn's a battle-hardened soldier who has been fighting for the First Order all along but just can't take it anymore once he sees Kylo Ren's senseless brutality or some such?

So do you imagine that people in the military are just constantly walking around with guns drawn and never have any other responsibilities?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Actually *watched* TFA for the first time a couple of days ago, but what severely puts me off is the amount of, i dont know how to put it, "cool" behaviour of the characters.
Like, when Finn and Poe bail in the Tiefighter, the dude-broing comedy had me in cringes.

I dont know, i liked star wars characters when they were a bit more stoic, Han Solo was a space-swashbuckler but never resorted to throwing oneliners on a per-minute basis.
Maybe its just me growing old, but i really dont like the manner in which characters interact with each other in a star wars environment.

They act like characters from a Disney live action tween sitcom

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It all falls flat in the actual movies, but hey, cool ideas anyway

Well you see, JJ is a great "ideas guy" but he needs a cabal of corporate suits to rein him in and say "no, and put some pants on that wookiee".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If absolutely nothing else Ian McDermod getting to gnaw on scenery explaining how his evil plot has come to fruition is always a treat.

D+ give us a Sheev series where he spends 30 minutes each episode explaining his plots to Vader and threatening captured Jedi.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mooey Cow posted:

Well you see, JJ is a great "ideas guy" but he needs a cabal of corporate suits to rein him in and say "no, and put some pants on that wookiee".

JJ is a pretty good action director who under no circumstances should be allowed to write the material he directs, but that's what he seems bent on, so he shouldn't really be allowed to make movies.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to the Mandalorian confirming yoda fucks and episode 9 confirming Sheev fucks. Who else fucks, does everyone gently caress in Star Wars except C-3P0? (R2 totally hosed Cloud City)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Randarkman posted:

JJ is a pretty good action director who under no circumstances should be allowed to write the material he directs, but that's what he seems bent on, so he shouldn't really be allowed to make movies.

Yeah, he had maybe 1-2 good movies in him (writing wise) but seems insistent on making sure everyone knows that well has run dry.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

So do you imagine that people in the military are just constantly walking around with guns drawn and never have any other responsibilities?

Actual American soldiers in Afghanistan, or space soldiers on a laser moon?

I'm not sure why any Bothans needed to die if you can just ask Johnny Trashcompactor where the blast point is.

There's this thing called a screenplay. A good way to make a strong screenplay for an action movie is that a stock character like a Stormtrooper should be pretty clear-cut so that you can spend the bulk of your pages on-

[Zack Snyder had an idea for a bloody stormtrooper helmet, and a shiny stormtrooper, and a stormtrooper with a melee weapon. The character of Finn is added to the script so those moments can be in the trailer. Fans attempt to retcon this into being much more than it is.]

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Give JJ some credit, he knew he couldn't do it all by himself this time as far as the writing goes. He admitted he needed help- from the best of the best. And lo, chris terrio was available

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Yolomon Wayne posted:

This is the Disney effect. Every Marvel film is like this.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

revwinnebago posted:

Actual American soldiers in Afghanistan, or space soldiers on a laser moon?

I'm not sure why any Bothans needed to die if you can just ask Johnny Trashcompactor where the blast point is.

lol at the implication that you thought TFA wasn't enough like A New Hope already

"Why don't they visit the Mos Eisley cantina in this one?? It's not really Star Wars without a full band of jizz players "

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

lol at the implication that you thought TFA wasn't enough like A New Hope already

"Why don't they visit the Mos Eisley cantina in this one?? It's not really Star Wars without a full band of jizz players "

They did do that though.

There was a "Outer Rim Bar" scene in TFA.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I haven't watched the TFA since it came out in theaters so maybe I'm wrong but IIRC that bar scene takes place like over an hour into the movie and is where Rey rejects the lightsaber because she wants to go back home and wait for her deadbeat parents to come back, and I remember thinking "wow this is way too late in the movie for the hero to just now be refusing the call."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sydin posted:

I haven't watched the TFA since it came out in theaters so maybe I'm wrong but IIRC that bar scene takes place like over an hour into the movie and is where Rey rejects the lightsaber because she wants to go back home and wait for her deadbeat parents to come back, and I remember thinking "wow this is way too late in the movie for the hero to just now be refusing the call."

Watched the first half or so yesterday and this is very much it. The seedy cantina part is mostly done with the Kanja Klub guys or whatever shaking down solo before they get eaten by dues ex rathnar or whatever

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chomp8645 posted:

They did do that though.

There was a "Outer Rim Bar" scene in TFA.

With music written by greatest American songwriter the coooooooool Lin manuel miranda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
As we head into the final (wink) chapter of the Star Wars I think this is more relevant than ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmCP-RM1m8M

Just change Lucas to Disney!