Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

That's also a mini-boss, though the real one will have a health bar!

(chaotic polymorphine is a god drat high)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

That's also a mini-boss, though the real one will have a health bar!

(chaotic polymorphine is a god drat high)

Hell worms aren't a miniboss, you might be thinking of the "dragon" worm that hatches from the Egg.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone with modding experience know if it's possible to turn off help windows when you hover your mouse over a spell? I tried asking the discord but didn't get a response.
If by help windows you mean pop-up tooltips, then no, I do not think so. None of the UI-related XML files have any values related to that, as far as I can see, so I assume that is hardcoded.

Not sure why you would want that, though. They have a lot of important information, like how any given spell affects casting and recharge delays.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Found a seed where alchemical precursor is mud, water, and blood.

I have about $50k before even hitting the first holy mountain :snoop:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

If by help windows you mean pop-up tooltips, then no, I do not think so. None of the UI-related XML files have any values related to that, as far as I can see, so I assume that is hardcoded.

Not sure why you would want that, though. They have a lot of important information, like how any given spell affects casting and recharge delays.

They do have a ton of useful info, which is why I wanted to turn them off! I was planning a mod that changes the icons of spells to be question marks, and removing the tool tips - so that you have no way of knowing what's on a wand other than firing it. I thought it might make for a goofy fun way of playing, reminiscent of when you're new to the game and are willing to just fire every wand you pick up just to see what happens.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Me: I'll just put these bombs on this wand with some projectile stuff and fire trails and whatevs, so I can still use it for shooting fiery things when it's out of bombs. Cannot see any downside to this plan

Also me:

https://i.imgur.com/QTGCvXg.mp4

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yyyyeah, I think fun is something else. I am already liable enough to blow myself up without having to basically go to a dedicated weapons testing range just to make sure that any given wand I pick up doesn't accidentally kill me the first time I use it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Yyyyeah, I think fun is something else. I am already liable enough to blow myself up without having to basically go to a dedicated weapons testing range just to make sure that any given wand I pick up doesn't accidentally kill me the first time I use it.

Today I learned that the Electrified perk isn't quite as good as I thought it was.

https://i.imgur.com/sW1QleQ.mp4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"You no longer feel safe from worms."

Well... that's probably not good.

"YOU HAVE ANGERED THE GODS!"

Okay, that's DEFINITELY not good!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Today I learned that the Electrified perk isn't quite as good as I thought it was.

yeah electrified is definitely way more flaw than perk lol

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It mostly just means that you need to learn to not try to kick every barrel you see. Indeed, barrels and crates should be targeted with prejudice. About the only other issue I can think of is trying to deploy bombs underwater.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Electrified and Explosion Immune taken together means that it effectively has no downsides, so I usually take it in preference to Electricity Immune only on those runs where I have access to both of these.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Got my first win! :toot:
Boss fight: https://imgur.com/J2wYaUT

Homing death cross with damage field is pretty good.

e: here's a video that shows off the wand more https://s1.webmshare.com/GxLW7.webm
This was before I added the damage field and two extra death crosses though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 13, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Found a wand that fired four holy hand grenades at once. I was pretty much on my last legs and didn't really have a decent combat wand, so I figured gently caress it, I'll fire it and see if I can run away in time. I don't want to spoil what happened, but...

https://i.imgur.com/BQw7hn8.mp4

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Huh, I hadn't realized that holy grenades beat steel. Good to know that.

Relatedly, does anyone here know how the lava/steel interaction works? Can you just melt through an arbitrary amount of steel by dropping some lava on it? I've never experimented much; seems like you need to find a lava flask or do some significant terraforming.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya, lava will convert a number of other substances into more lava and there's no ambient cooling-off effect working on it.

Though I think you need a minimum number of lava pixels nearby to get the effect to start.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's a list of material interactions somewhere in the data files that defines this kind of thing, but I can't quite find it right now. If anyone knows where it is, then that is where you could check.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The problem is less electrification itself and more that cryo tanks buried in snow are super hard to spot

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you shoot one of those big whisky kegs with the mundane arrow spell, which does no environmental damage, it never seems to run out of whisky to bleed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The green floating blobs never seem to run out or die from bleeding toxic sludge either, so I think that may just be intended behaviour. Probably not worth tracking those things as filled with a certain number of pixels' worth of liquid, the possibility of that causing a flooding some two or three hours down the line is too much of an edge case.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It wouldn't surprise me if things don't bleed when they're far enough from the player, so ultimately that problem is self-limiting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is how it works. This game is really quite well-optimized, but not enough so to have the entire world active at all times. Anything more than two or so screens away probably just gets frozen.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The green things will also stop bleeding after a bit if they don't get hit again.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Huh, I hadn't realized that holy grenades beat steel. Good to know that.

I think that berserkium glass cannon regular bombs also beat steel.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

just had a run that was going well end because the first room in the temple of the art was completely surrounded by brickwork that I didn't have any spells to get through. seems kind of lovely?

gooser422
Oct 27, 2015

this game is hard, I can get past the first level sometimes, with only environmental effects doing me in, but as soon as I get to the ice level the enemies are 10x harder and I'm dying in one hit

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

gooser422 posted:

this game is hard, I can get past the first level sometimes, with only environmental effects doing me in, but as soon as I get to the ice level the enemies are 10x harder and I'm dying in one hit

The ice stages are a tough gear check. If you haven't been experimenting with wand customization and just using whatever you happen to pick up as-is, you'll have a bad time, you need to understand how wands work if you want to get farther reliably.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

gooser422 posted:

Try wandering around a little. It might seem that way at first glance, but the health ups that you can get in the temple aren't remotely the only ones around. In fact, you can easily find at least 2 without ever even going below ground at all, right from the beginning of the game. There is plenty of stuff in the world for you to find if you just take your time and look.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've honestly started moving quite quickly through the ice caverns, just because the Hisii base is a lot easier, at least to me. More hard corners to kite enemies to and plunk away at them, as opposed to the ice caverns where it's like "time to drop down this part of the map and OH gently caress THERE'S FOUR ROBOTS TWO SNIPERS AND A RAT".

I think I've resigned myself to, at least for my first win, using some cheats to help me along the way. I just suck so, so, SO much poo poo at this game that I started losing the fun aspect of it. But now I have a seed where my AP is mud, water, and blood, so I've re-loaded it a few times and have been just having a goddamn blast with this game again.

Although I did not realize that in the Cheat GUI mod, the "much health" button or whatever does heal you... but it also just increases your health to 1000. I wanted just a quick heal, wamp.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Noita Bug Fix Today posted:

BUGFIX: Healers etc were friendly with the player

FINALLY.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
what is the mod that tells you the special potions for that seed?

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

what is the mod that tells you the special potions for that seed?

I believe it is the Cheat GUI mod.

gooser422 posted:

Get the always edit wands mod. Maybe the perk pick at game start/ cave entrance as well. Edit wands allows you to actually learn the game. Explore more. You should be able to get around 225 HP from start to first holy mountain if you explore. 300+ hundred if you get the right drops.

There is a bunch of chores at the start of the game you can do to help survival. They are as fun as chores as well (after doing them 100+ times basically every game).

Armadillo Tank fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 13, 2019

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Armadillo Tank posted:

Get the always edit wands mod. Maybe the perk pick at game start/ cave entrance as well. Edit wands allows you to actually learn the game. Explore more. You should be able to get around 225 HP from start to first holy mountain if you explore. 300+ hundred if you get the right drops.

Can you link the "perk at the start of the game" mod since I've been wanting to try it but simply can't find it, or can't search with proper terms.

e: Also the Peaceful gods mod seems to have stopped working, I lost a great run because of that

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 13, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Use the CheatGUI mod and just give yourself the perk manually, it's far more flexible and regularly updated.

https://github.com/probable-basilisk/cheatgui

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Use the CheatGUI mod and just give yourself the perk manually, it's far more flexible and regularly updated.

https://github.com/probable-basilisk/cheatgui

Yeah this has pretty much everything I would ever need, it's really handy.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

This stuff is pretty handy.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I had the best run going and even managed to kill the pyramid boss for the first time but then I got greedy and dug into a cave and Jäätiö (the ice skull guy) killed me in one hit in melee. I had over 300 health! I didn't know he was so powerful. Had a real good wand for level 3 as well. I think I'm gonna have to take a break since I just don't have what it takes to make it right now.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
You might have ended up frozen which results in onehit?

They probably should change that from a a onehit to be a beefy damage modifier or something

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

frog with the haymaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

TeaJay posted:

Can you link the "perk at the start of the game" mod since I've been wanting to try it but simply can't find it, or can't search with proper terms.

e: Also the Peaceful gods mod seems to have stopped working, I lost a great run because of that

Edit Wands
https://modworkshop.net/mydownloads.php?action=view_down&did=25830

Perk Pick
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/632317469754654731/633374463127453706/PerkPick.zip
I had trouble finding it. It is just in the discord. posted by Evaisa on 10/14/2019