Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

Dissociation comes in two flavors, derealization and depersonalization. Within each subtype, stuff can get weird and weirdly specific. I suspect this would fall under derealization, since he doesn't feel detached from himself, but feels like there's something unreal about his SO.

EDIT: This is all spitballing, my point is the layman in a stressful situation might not exactly remember the diagnosis the doctor gave.

Mine's all spitballing, too, and I appreciate having someone who knows their stuff well enough to spitball with. The whole thing feels like hearing hoofs and looking for zebras, when you consider what TBI's can do to memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

Imagine seeing a terrified 17-year-old girl trying to apologize for what she did wrong in life before she dies and deciding that hurting her in her final days is the better option, and then trying to find evidence that she wasn't really sincere to justify it.

She's not sincere. You don't have to "try to find" evidence of that. It's right there on the surface.

When you bully, abuse, and terrorize people, you damage them. One of the things you might damage is their ability to give a gently caress about what happens to you. Tough luck. Try being nicer in your next life.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Play posted:

Let the kid have his dog, you selfish mook. If my parents had done this to me (they did watch him for me my first year in school) I would've been absolutely furious, in fact I'm sure I would've dognapped my little dude. Taking care of the dog while your son went to school is normal parent stuff, I don't think it means the dog is automatically yours and I doubt the son understood it that way either.

It's an older dog with senior-type medical needs that's settled in with its family. Changing everything around on the dog would be a highly stressful and cruel thing to do.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Play posted:

Let the kid have his dog, you selfish mook. If my parents had done this to me (they did watch him for me my first year in school) I would've been absolutely furious, in fact I'm sure I would've dognapped my little dude. Taking care of the dog while your son went to school is normal parent stuff, I don't think it means the dog is automatically yours and I doubt the son understood it that way either.
Let the old dog live out his dying days in peace in the house he's always known not alone in a strange apartment. I agree that a lot of what the OP is saying is self contradicting (pets are family members not possessions, let me tell you why he's actually our possession not my son's), but the core point that it would be better for the dog to stay where he is is still correct.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tythas posted:

My[37M] GF[45F] has a hard time having an orgasm... Until I figured out her trigger is rape and worse things...

A flag so large and red you can see it from the kuiper belt and makes jupiter's red spot jealous

Yeah, that's one of the things that caused my ex and I to break up. She was horrifically abused and raped repeatedly from a very young age, but she could only be sexually satisfied with hardcore BDSM that replicated it.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Leon Einstein posted:

Nobody is arguing that.

Right it's just really funny how quickly it escalated.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, that's one of the things that caused my ex and I to break up. She was horrifically abused and raped repeatedly from a very young age, but she could only be sexually satisfied with hardcore BDSM that replicated it.

I had a hunch about that with an ex and even that made everything sexual kind of uncomfortable. It wouldn't have made me feel as hosed up if she had said anything one way or another but the uncertainty was just always on my mind.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Mine's all spitballing, too, and I appreciate having someone who knows their stuff well enough to spitball with. The whole thing feels like hearing hoofs and looking for zebras, when you consider what TBI's can do to memory.
Eh, I think dissociation can be more of a symptom than a root cause? Like, TBI could still be the cause.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for sitting on my brother’s girlfriend’s butt to wake her up?

My brother’s girlfriend (19F) slept with my brother (19M) in his room last night. Those two, my parents, and I (16M) were all supposed to leave the house to go on a trip by 7am. My brother woke up early and when it was 6am, he told me to go wake up his girlfriend. By the way, this is only the third time in my life that I saw his girlfriend because they go to school in another state, but she has always been friendly to me.

I went in his room and told her to wake up. She didn’t respond. There was some light peaking through the window so I didn’t turn on the light. I nudged her shoulder. Again, she didn’t respond. I told her to wake up again, louder this time. No response. She must be a deep sleeper or had too much to drink last night. She was lying on her stomach so I sat on her butt. There’s a blanket between us and I only weigh about 120 lbs.

She showed movement after I sat there for about 5 seconds and she turned her head and shouted “what the gently caress are you doing?” I said “I couldn’t wake you up the normal way” and she said “get the gently caress off me you creep.” I apologized and left the room.

A few minutes later, she told my brother “your little brother tried to molest me.” I wasn’t sure if she was joking, but her tone was pretty serious. I told her “I just needed to find a way to wake you up because you were sleeping like a pig.” I wasn’t fat shaming. She’s skinny too. She said “yeah right, how did my rear end feel?” My brother told her “calm down, don’t pretend you’re not a super deep sleeper.”

She went to get ready and my brother apologized for making me wake her up and causing this quarrel. My parents were getting ready in their bathroom during our argument. Her girlfriend acted more normal and friendly to me after we left the house. Maybe I shouldn’t have sat on her butt to wake her up?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

He's says he's on some weird brain medicine to help him function with his PTSD symptoms. It seems pretty likely he's having a bizarre reaction to the drug.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

Eh, I think dissociation can be more of a symptom than a root cause? Like, TBI could still be the cause.

I think if dissociation was the symptom he'd be more dissociated then, though. It's weird he apparently has everything else normal except this one thing. The ganglion treatment may have been a thing, though, i dunno how well that's studied and how it effects memories.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tythas posted:

My [26F] landlord [45M] is pressuring our roommate [23F] to enter into a relationship with him, even though she's made it clear that she's not interested...

If this dude suddenly gets cancer is it okay for his victim to not forgive him or is she honor bound to pretend like the stalking never happened?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

If this dude suddenly gets cancer is it okay for his victim to not forgive him or is she honor bound to pretend like the stalking never happened?

if she gives someone else a handie, is she cheating on her "boyfriend"?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Johnny Truant posted:

if she gives someone else a handie, is she cheating on her "boyfriend"?
If someone is dying giving them a handy is just common courtesy.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Serephina posted:

Will you all shut up about the bloody bully story? It's been beaten to death and back already.

Especially you, ya great berk. Go read a post.

Here, go how about we all read this one?
AITA for telling my girlfriend that her phobia is ridiculous and she needs treatment?

Shove her on a flight to a tropical country and forget about her.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If cancer gives me a handjob, do I have to stop chemotherapy?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Let the old dog live out his dying days in peace in the house he's always known not alone in a strange apartment. I agree that a lot of what the OP is saying is self contradicting (pets are family members not possessions, let me tell you why he's actually our possession not my son's), but the core point that it would be better for the dog to stay where he is is still correct.

The dog is 11 years old, that's barely even a senior dog (my dog turned eleven 9 fckin years ago) and if my parents had used the same argument it would've been just as bad).

And I don't agree that we can know which thing would be better for the dog. This guy tells a self-serving story about why it should stay with him, but that's exactly what it is: a self-serving narrative with little actual proof. It serves his case to claim that the dog is better off with him, but that's the same thing the bad guy says at the end of Beethoven. The dude just wants to keep the dog, it's that simple. But what he's doing is basically unexpectedly taking back something he gave as a gift. He admits his son has a large apartment, plenty of room, he loves the dog so he'll make sure it's taken care of, and that the son was just leaving the dog at home for a single year and always expected to take it with him when he could, and worked hard to make money so that could happen. It's just selfishness from the dad at its core, going back on an implicit promise because he thinks himself to be more deserving.

Dazerbeams posted:

It's an older dog with senior-type medical needs that's settled in with its family. Changing everything around on the dog would be a highly stressful and cruel thing to do.

Again, that's just what this fellow is claiming, I seriously doubt the dog would be damaged by going to live with the person who raised him and has only been gone a single year. Dad is using the dog being "senior" to obtain the result he's looking for

Play fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 13, 2019

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Play posted:

The dog is 11 years old, that's barely even a senior dog (my dog turned eleven 9 fckin years ago) and if my parents had used the same argument it would've been just as bad).

Depends on the dog. 12 is the upper end of life expectancy for mine.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Bigger dogs generally don't live as long as smaller dogs so 11 can absolutely be pushing the limits on its life span. And animals absolutely get stressed out when mom and dad and sister are no longer in the picture versus son not being around. On top of that, the dog will be in an entirely unfamiliar place with a guy who probably doesn't know where the nearest emergency 24 hr vet is located, or what to recognize as a sign of an incoming emergency. It's understandable that the son wants to reconnect with his dog now that he technically is capable of looking after it, but it's not the best choice for the dog.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Formatting all OP's
Mi wife is pregnant but i want to divorce

quote:

tl;dr I'm proactive and my wife wants me to be mediocre.

Hi all! I(25) need really some serious advice, my wife(30) just got pregnant and i want to divorce, let me explain why, when we weren't married she knew I was a pro poker player and she knew my ambitions and dreams and how im very proactive to do things and to achieve greatness and to look for adventures, she never never make a rant from me playing poker, or me traveling, etcetera. with my winnings in poker I can make a kings life here in mexico top 10-5% in income of all the habitants, I have another job as a software engineer, so I play poker only 3 days per week from 6pm to 10pm, but it has come to the point that she has become so mad that I play poker or that I want to take us to peru to climb machu pichu that she's gotten to the point that she hopes that im losing money and failing at my dreams, she wants me to have a mediocre life where I just watch netflix all day in the bed and just do nothing, that's impossible for me, before you say im selfish, I think im a good husband, im faithful, I support with 100% of expenses, I take her out for dinner, we make movie nights, I want to take her to peru, we spend time together and with her family, so basically I spend time with her every day including poker nights. She is jealous of my friends to the point she hates them, she doesn't like to pass time with my family, and hates my hometown because the stupid reason that I had many female friends there, so she made me delete from facebook and whatsapp most of my friends, I don't know what to do, im sincerely really tired and my only concern is my baby, I don't want my baby to grow up with divorced parents, but I can't handle being with my wife it just feels like really bad vibes, yesterday I fulfilled a dream of mine of playing a highstakes poker tournament with professionals with a ticket I won for free and I ended up winning the tournament and she was really mad instead of being happy of one of my dreams to come true, our house just feels bad vibes, I understand we have a baby and we are married but I really feel that shouldn't be a ticket to mediocrity and to stop doing the things we love when we can do both things.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Tythas posted:

okay before you complain about this story the update makes things look up

Help. I don't recognize my (31m) fiancee (29f) after deployment

Prior to my second deployment, I was administered "Stellate ganglion block" or SGB treatment for PTSD which greatly alleviated my symptoms so I continue to operate within my required parameters. 

UPDATE. Help. I don't recognize my (31m) fiancee (29f) after deployment

The military gave him a shot to block his fight or flight response, and shove him back in the field, except randomized trials show it equal to saline. So he could "continue to operate within my required parameters

It is cool and normal to talk about yourself as a broken piece of machinery.

Jesus Christ. Good country. Great job.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Pinecone Sample posted:

On the hook for 50k+? How screwed am I? Garage burned down.

In the insurance industry this is a little thing we call subrogation.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Heffer posted:

The military gave him a shot to block his fight or flight response, and shove him back in the field, except randomized trials show it equal to saline. So he could "continue to operate within my required parameters

It is cool and normal to talk about yourself as a broken piece of machinery.

Jesus Christ. Good country. Great job.

There are people singing the praises of how this treatment literally instantly fixed them in the comments and how it couldn't even possibly be related to what broke his brain at all.

Nice if true, but I find that kind of talk DEEPLY worrying.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Piell posted:

AITA for sitting on my brother’s girlfriend’s butt to wake her up?

My brother’s girlfriend (19F) slept with my brother (19M) in his room last night. Those two, my parents, and I (16M) were all supposed to leave the house to go on a trip by 7am. My brother woke up early and when it was 6am, he told me to go wake up his girlfriend. By the way, this is only the third time in my life that I saw his girlfriend because they go to school in another state, but she has always been friendly to me.

I went in his room and told her to wake up. She didn’t respond. There was some light peaking through the window so I didn’t turn on the light. I nudged her shoulder. Again, she didn’t respond. I told her to wake up again, louder this time. No response. She must be a deep sleeper or had too much to drink last night. She was lying on her stomach so I sat on her butt. There’s a blanket between us and I only weigh about 120 lbs.

She showed movement after I sat there for about 5 seconds and she turned her head and shouted “what the gently caress are you doing?” I said “I couldn’t wake you up the normal way” and she said “get the gently caress off me you creep.” I apologized and left the room.

A few minutes later, she told my brother “your little brother tried to molest me.” I wasn’t sure if she was joking, but her tone was pretty serious. I told her “I just needed to find a way to wake you up because you were sleeping like a pig.” I wasn’t fat shaming. She’s skinny too. She said “yeah right, how did my rear end feel?” My brother told her “calm down, don’t pretend you’re not a super deep sleeper.”

She went to get ready and my brother apologized for making me wake her up and causing this quarrel. My parents were getting ready in their bathroom during our argument. Her girlfriend acted more normal and friendly to me after we left the house. Maybe I shouldn’t have sat on her butt to wake her up?

I mean that's a weird way to go about it, but the problem seems to have worked itself out so who cares?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

"there is a potential side effect I'll need to warn you about before I write this prescription. In rare cases patients report that their wive's hot friends are all over them within 48 hours of the first dose."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Am I (24f) in the wrong for not showing my bf (27m) old n*des I found from when I was younger?

I was going through an old computer hard drive and came across all my old pictures from when I was 17-20. It was hilarious going through them all to see how young I looked even just a few years ago, and memories I had completely forgotten.

My bf and I have been dating for two years, so since I was 22. I sent him a couple of the pictures I found on the hard drive to show him and he loved it. We were talking about it for a bit and he asked if I found any old n*des on the hard drive. I laughed and said yes a few but they were so cringey and I deleted them all as soon as I opened them. I really didn't want to see them, and I just don't want there to be any current existence of nudes from when I was 18-19. Idk. It makes me uncomfortable (The only person that ever saw them, my ex bf, deleted the pictures in front of me when I asked).

My current bf was VERY upset when I said they were deleted. I was kind of laughing, saying I wouldn't have wanted to show them anyway because it was embarrassing and made me uncomfortable. But he was pretty serious; his feelings were hurt. I didn't like how he was pressing it. It feels like a different person from who I am now and since I started dating him. I feel like I have the right to make that call, but it's also making me feel bad because he "doesn't understand" why I wouldn't want to show him, because I'm his gf.

This just happened so it's fresh and I'm sure we'll talk soon about it. I just need to see this situation clearly. Thanks in advance guys!

TLDR: My (24) bf (27) is upset because I didn't show him old n*des of myself I just found from when I was younger

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Should’ve put her hand in warm water

E. Guy who sat on brothers’ GF’s butt to wake her up

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Tiberius Christ posted:

"accidentally" murders you

just a prank bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMbrKzRDU3I

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Play posted:

only if it is a small dog.

great danes often only live 7-8 years, but a toy poodle will go on for 20 easily

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Piell posted:

Am I (24f) in the wrong for not showing my bf (27m) old n*des I found from when I was younger?
show him the nades, teach him to conc jump, you can play TFC together

oh wait

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Midnight Voyager posted:

There are people singing the praises of how this treatment literally instantly fixed them in the comments and how it couldn't even possibly be related to what broke his brain at all.

Nice if true, but I find that kind of talk DEEPLY worrying.

A med can treat a problem but also have serious side effects. CPR restarted my heart, but it also bruised the hell out of my ribs. I agree, saying "It helped me so it can't have hurt you" is wrong and worrying.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chamale posted:

A med can treat a problem but also have serious side effects. CPR restarted my heart, but it also bruised the hell out of my ribs. I agree, saying "It helped me so it can't have hurt you" is wrong and worrying.

I'm also leery of anything that can magically cure PTSD with a shot.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

only if it is a small dog.

great danes often only live 7-8 years, but a toy poodle will go on for 20 easily

True, but the fact remains the father is only trying to use that to retroactively justify his decision, and we don't have any idea how elderly this dog actually is or what special circumstances it needs. My dog is elderly and he's much better off with my girlfriend and I in our small apartment than he would be with a whole family kicking around.

Unless there was an understanding between them that they would keep his dog if he left it there for a year, the dad it should give it to him. Having it sprung on you that the dog you begged for, cared for and raised from a puppy is being denied to you because your dad wants it more is not fair. If the dad is using vet fees as a reason, then the son should at least be able to pay him back for those fees and pick up his dog. The kid only took one year to make arrangements to be able to take the dog, that's pretty drat good for a college student and speaks to how much he loves the dog and wants to continue being with it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Xombie posted:

Yes, the only solutions are being a doormat or an shitstain with no empathy. There is no in-between, like actually getting professional help for your problems.

:lol: Maybe the dying cancer girl should've taken this to heart before making someone's life miserable for years & only giving a half-assed apology when she found out she had terminal illness

Basically

Ghost Leviathan posted:

your shitbag behaviour can have consequences far sooner than you think and nobody has any obligation to forgive you no matter how poo poo your situation becomes

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

LadyPictureShow posted:

Formatting all OP's

Well, that's a stream of conciousness alright.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LadyPictureShow posted:

Formatting all OP's

xiaomi voice mi wife

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
College students don't have time for a dog. The son is being ridiculous.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Piell posted:

My boyfriend was choked I didn't show him my old child porn/barely legal n*des, aita?

Ruuuuuuun!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Play posted:

True, but the fact remains the father is only trying to use that to retroactively justify his decision, and we don't have any idea how elderly this dog actually is or what special circumstances it needs. My dog is elderly and he's much better off with my girlfriend and I in our small apartment than he would be with a whole family kicking around.

Unless there was an understanding between them that they would keep his dog if he left it there for a year, the dad it should give it to him. Having it sprung on you that the dog you begged for, cared for and raised from a puppy is being denied to you because your dad wants it more is not fair. If the dad is using vet fees as a reason, then the son should at least be able to pay him back for those fees and pick up his dog. The kid only took one year to make arrangements to be able to take the dog, that's pretty drat good for a college student and speaks to how much he loves the dog and wants to continue being with it.

He can visit the dog and life will still be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

College students don't have time for a dog. The son is being ridiculous.

I had my dog in college and it was totally fine. In fact, it was even easier to take care of him then due to my schedule, now that I work 8 hours a day in a row it's actually more challenging. Caring for a dog in college is not innately impossible, it's not like college students don't have free time.

My dog and I had some amazing times which is why that story has got me so excitable, if my parents tried to do that I would've gone full scorched-earth, dognapping followed by estrangement.

It's his dog for christs sake, he begged for it and was given it as a birthday present and took care of it and raised it and now even secured his own apartment with his own money so that his dog could live with him. Those are the actions of a good dog owner who doesn't deserve to have their dog, which they cared for since birth and grew up with, taken from them.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

He can visit the dog and life will still be ok.

This could apply to the father just as easily. More easily, in fact, since it's not actually his dog.