Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

mrmcd posted:

Fun fact: Scotland lost it's independence because they hosed up at colonialism so bad and all their colonists died of malaria. The rich then basically sold the country back to the English in exchange for a bailout of debts rather than face consequences for being lovely at business and brutal resource extraction.

This deal took place in secret whilst the Edinburgh mob searched around with lengths of rope at various rich people's houses. Subsequently Scotand continued its tradition of exporting mercenaries to every lovely conflict going, by subjugating colonies and sponsoring the slave trade.

Moral: all nations are based in racism, street mobs are often right. First post tax https://www.facebook.com/faslanepea...js-7Q&__tn__=-R

Juliet Whisky has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Dec 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

mrmcd posted:

Fun fact: Scotland lost it's independence because they hosed up at colonialism so bad and all their colonists died of malaria. The rich then basically sold the country back to the English in exchange for a bailout of debts rather than face consequences for being lovely at business and brutal resource extraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykrZCtlwyL4

8 minutes in, well really 9

he starts going over the inventory of the ships

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Animal-Mother posted:

I'm American. It's my understanding that the "Tories" are blatantly a very old school "the Lords and Dukes and Nobility should still rule everything but we'll have elections just so the peasants can feel like they're involved" party.

Why would anyone vote for them? I have a hard time believing Europeans actually give a poo poo about antisemitism.

Outside of London and a couple other major urban areas, England is dying at almost the same pace as the rust belt and the Tories are going to restore the might and glory of the empire etc etc (and make the weird gross immigrants and scary EU bureaucrats go away)

Old white people who watch TV news are the ultimate suckers for this sort of rhetoric and they make up an even bigger portion of the UK electorate than they do of the US electorate

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

I'm American. It's my understanding that the "Tories" are blatantly a very old school "the Lords and Dukes and Nobility should still rule everything but we'll have elections just so the peasants can feel like they're involved" party.

Why would anyone vote for them? I have a hard time believing Europeans actually give a poo poo about antisemitism.

pretty much any tory supporter will tell you labour will put up taxes and gently caress the economy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm slightly annoyed to just find out now that Corbyn was the least popular opposition leader in decades. Up to the election all I heard was that the Tories and the BBC were so desperate all they could do was spin up the antisemitism smear, this was gonna be really close, he might do it, whatever the gently caress "Dinner Boy going to eat his eggs" meant. And then Corbyn eats poo poo, historically eats poo poo, eats poo poo to the point that yesterday's election will be used as a reference point for eating poo poo in future elections. And then suddenly oh yeah it turns out everyone in Britain hated Corbyn because he was a boring vegetarian substitute teacher.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/LukePagarani/status/1205489156761309184?s=20

https://twitter.com/LukePagarani/status/1205489467563360262?s=20

good thread

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

Outside of London and a couple other major urban areas, England is dying at almost the same pace as the rust belt and the Tories are going to restore the might and glory of the empire etc etc (and make the weird gross immigrants and scary EU bureaucrats go away)

Old white people who watch TV news are the ultimate suckers for this sort of rhetoric and they make up an even bigger portion of the UK electorate than they do of the US electorate

Idiot Election on Chud Island

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Vox Nihili posted:

Faster. If you exclude London, then England's GDP per capita is lower than any US state. Yes even West Virginia and Mississippi. "Real England" is poorer than Mississippi

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they need to go all in on John McDonnell and get people angry about how hard they are going to get reamed up the rear end. they have no loving clue just how bad it’s going to get

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I'm slightly annoyed to just find out now that Corbyn was the least popular opposition leader in decades. Up to the election all I heard was that the Tories and the BBC were so desperate all they could do was spin up the antisemitism smear, this was gonna be really close, he might do it, whatever the gently caress "Dinner Boy going to eat his eggs" meant. And then Corbyn eats poo poo, historically eats poo poo, eats poo poo to the point that yesterday's election will be used as a reference point for eating poo poo in future elections. And then suddenly oh yeah it turns out everyone in Britain hated Corbyn because he was a boring vegetarian substitute teacher.

I don't think he had any positive media coverage given how the UK really doesn't have any leftist newspaper and the Guardian is basically the equivalent of the US centrist corporation cheerleading (Washington Post)

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Faster. If you exclude London, then England's GDP per capita is lower than any US state. Yes even West Virginia and Mississippi. "Real England" is poorer than Mississippi

LOL!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Translation for Euros: Parts of Mississippi are on par with third world countries.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I mean, all the polls were posted in the thread? And how many Brit people over 50 post in C-Spam, do you think?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What the gently caress did "Dinner Boy going to eat his egg!" even mean? How was that a rallying cry for a political movement?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gripweed posted:

What the gently caress did "Dinner Boy going to eat his egg!" even mean? How was that a rallying cry for a political movement?

i never even heard that before?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gripweed posted:

And then suddenly oh yeah it turns out everyone in Britain hated Corbyn because the entire media and shitlibs poo poo on him non-stop for half a decade and he was politically trapped in a no-win situation

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

holy loving poo poo

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Literally a third world country.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zurakara posted:

no by definition it's second-world

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

It is really too bad about 19th-century concepts of 'false consciousness' being rejected by the working class, might have to do with the party-affiliated workers' movement getting wrecked nearly forty years ago by a Conservative government enacting Labour policies.

Meanwhile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1uSSRcn7UE

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

no by definition it's second-world

The second world was the communist states

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

gradenko_2000 posted:

Idiot Election on Chud Island

I support renaming the UK to Chud Island. A lot of people call it Paedo Island, but nowadays it gets confusing if that name refers to Britain or Little St. James, and both of these unfairly take the title away from the original Paedo Island, Pitcairn

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gripweed posted:

Yeah he was extremely unpopular. Lot of people figured if they liked him 50x as much as normal, it was the same as 50x as many people liking him.

Nick Cohen was right.

edit: dont tell him he didnt warn you!!

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Dec 13, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The second world was the communist states

the joke was that they were russia-aligned but thanks for ruining it!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gripweed posted:

It wasn't. No one won or lost due to stupid memes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

the joke was that they were russia-aligned but thanks for ruining it!

Im sorry. The sheer number of people who forget that first and third world referred to cold war alignment makes it impossible for me to detect when someone actually got it right

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vox Nihili posted:

It wasn't. No one won or lost due to stupid memes.

ok boomer

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zurakara posted:

I feel like it's not really that surprising? Outside of, like, Norway, the US has a comically high GDP per capita compared to economically advanced European states. We account for something like a quarter of world GDP.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

lol that you thought C-Spam was in any way indicative of the rest of the world.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Im sorry. The sheer number of people who forget that first and third world referred to cold war alignment makes it impossible for me to detect when someone actually got it right

no worries, it's a bit stale anyway since I'm pretty sure everything since 2016 has been entirely of your own doing even if the likely goal is to turn Britain into another Cyprus regarding laundered Russian kleptobux.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Avynte posted:

i'm not sure what forum he was reading but it wasn't this one

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Wait what is this true?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

spacemang_spliff posted:

Wait what is this true?

the collapse of industrial capitalism and the rise of finance/rentiers capitalism hasn't been kind

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Everybody knows Prince Andrew raped teenagers as a pastime and yet Jeremy Corbyn is the most hated man in England.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Gripweed posted:

that's why its funny, same hillary energy

Avynte posted:

sighing, putting my fedora with a press pass on, and going to interview the posters that swung it: the pink heartland

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

spacemang_spliff posted:

Wait what is this true?

england's two biggest industries are banking and pedophilia

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Gonna own when there are TV ads in New Delhi that are like "For just 70 rupees a day you can support an impoverished English family."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

they need to go all in on John McDonnell and get people angry about how hard they are going to get reamed up the rear end. they have no loving clue just how bad it’s going to get

yeah I think anger is the answer, honestly. Bernard's channeling it a bit now, but honestly someone young and angry would probably do a lot better than the current slew of leftist leaders.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gripweed posted:

it was just a online leftist version of the mania libs went for hillary in 2016. at least corbyn had good politics to justify the cult though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Everybody knows Prince Andrew raped teenagers as a pastime and yet Jeremy Corbyn is the most hated man in England.

that's what you get when you try to put more funding into everyone's healthcare