Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Welp, while tackling the challenge to go through one of the world 5 levels hovering as much as possible, I somehow strained the poo poo out of my upper back muscles. Was kind of awkward explaining to the doctor that I was playing an exercise video game where you squeeze a ring thing, but now I've got painkillers and muscle relaxers for over the weekend.

Armando kicked my rear end apparently! It's funny, since I always found the arm exercises so far to be fairly trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Time to take a break my man.

But yeah muscles interconnect all weirdly, sometimes I'll sit down bad and my entire right body is no more than pain.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Posture is everything! I'm always resetting myself doing the underhand ring presses because i always bend over to put more power in. Agreed on Armando though, i feel like I'm really good at ring presses but he always destroys me.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Has anyone tried the mode where you do ring exercises while the system is off?

Do it now. Listen.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The pull tone was the most surprising, didn't think they'd register it

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It also does a chime every 100 reps.

And gives you XP, money and ingredients.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I just did a boss fight where, after doing Wide Squats, the game made me defend against a powerful leg attack by...holding a wide squat for a looong time. I thought my legs were going to burst into flames but somehow I made it out ok

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SelenicMartian posted:

Has anyone tried the mode where you do ring exercises while the system is off?

Do it now. Listen.

Is there something new with this mode, idgi

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

No, I've just never touched it before.

Now I've done 500 shoulder presses tonight, it played a tune and stopped making noises :( I'll grind more muscle tomorrow.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

SelenicMartian posted:

Now I've done 500 shoulder presses tonight, it played a tune and stopped making noises :( I'll grind more muscle tomorrow.

500 isthe offline mode limit

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I don't understand what I did wrong with mega ab guard. I did ab guard and squatted. Is there more to it? I was getting yelled at to rotate my ring but nothing helped. Wiped me out from full in one hit because game didn't like my mega ab guard.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chin Strap posted:

I don't understand what I did wrong with mega ab guard. I did ab guard and squatted. Is there more to it? I was getting yelled at to rotate my ring but nothing helped. Wiped me out from full in one hit because game didn't like my mega ab guard.

That sounds like a calibration issue. It shouldn’t even let you start the attack without getting into position. If you face the ring down, that re-centers it so idk that might help next time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The mega ab guard does start before you're in the right position. You need to do what it shows, and then squat even lower, nearly rear end on the floor. Then you get a huge shield.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Just cash them in and keep going if you want. You can send the xp to people on your friends list. That's what I do, and now my arms don't make fart noises when i drop them, progress!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

Just cash them in and keep going if you want. You can send the xp to people on your friends list. That's what I do, and now my arms don't make fart noises when i drop them, progress!

Dang, i'm jealous.

How do i make my arms do fart noises?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Beat the story (after doing Dreadmill missions over a couple of days, finally got the S ranks on them)

Most locked missions were available right as I started the very last level, but two only opened up afterwards. You can mop up any available missions after before starting New Game + and can switch between them at any time. Haven't started the 2nd cycle yet to tell you the difficulty.

Was level 225. Just over 28 hours active time, usually about 40 min a day broken over 2~3 sessions.

Little helpful advice for the last fight: Dragaux 23 is all single target.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dreadmill is loving terrible. The side quest to perfectly collect every coin in Dreadmill is horrendous. gently caress that quest foreverrrrr

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I don't know quite how I'm loving it up but when I reached the leg gym I had to give up on the mountain climbing stance. My feet just kept sliding back on my carpet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I had done plenty of planks and squats coming into this game so the early stuff was pretty familiar, but the deeper I go, the exercises are testing muscles that I'm pretty sure I've barely ever worked lol, the behind the back ring squeeze is a real murderer

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

overhead squats, planks and mountain climbers kill me absolutely.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The best exercise is the knee lift combo where you lift each knee and then do a squat. By which I mean I feel like I’m gonna die after in the best way possible.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm so glad this game is good after the trash fire that was the Wii Fit Balance Board.

I've tried making going to the gym a habit, but I'm a big giant baby that can't stick to stuff like that. However, if you add video game elements, I'll willingly work out. I'm not tremendously out of shape (6'0, 180lbs) but I could still use to lose 10lbs.

I've done five workouts so far, just doing them every other day, and am currently in world 5. My process is to keep going until I reach 30 minutes on the in-game clock, which usually actually amounts to about an hour of engaging with the game.

This game is good. I hope they do a sequel or something. It certainly seems successful enough.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

someone else might have mentioned this but if you press on the ring real hard you do a better air blast that can open doors in one hit and also seems to give you more xp.

Just something I wanted to mention.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

organburner posted:

someone else might have mentioned this but if you press on the ring real hard you do a better air blast that can open doors in one hit and also seems to give you more xp.

Just something I wanted to mention.

It doesn't open pinwheel doors any faster though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had done plenty of planks and squats coming into this game so the early stuff was pretty familiar, but the deeper I go, the exercises are testing muscles that I'm pretty sure I've barely ever worked lol, the behind the back ring squeeze is a real murderer

That's the best thing about cycling this with more traditional routines. Lots of mobility and stability exercises that catches up your weak-points.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The best exercise is the knee lift combo where you lift each knee and then do a squat. By which I mean I feel like I’m gonna die after in the best way possible.

I'd been wondering what that exercise was. Still haven't had the opportunity to try it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

My issue right now is I've gotten so overlevelled that I don't get to work my right side a lot of the time. If I get back to running soon I'll probably drop adventure and do entirely custom workouts.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Welp, while tackling the challenge to go through one of the world 5 levels hovering as much as possible, I somehow strained the poo poo out of my upper back muscles. Was kind of awkward explaining to the doctor that I was playing an exercise video game where you squeeze a ring thing, but now I've got painkillers and muscle relaxers for over the weekend.

Armando kicked my rear end apparently! It's funny, since I always found the arm exercises so far to be fairly trivial.

I strained the hell out of one of my calf muscles a couple weeks ago playing this. I was doing a bit where I was travelling through water and had to raise my legs higher while jogging and I guess I came down on my right leg wrong or something. I felt a pop and then it started hurting. Luckily after resting it for a couple days and having everyone in my office laugh at me, it healed up ok. I don't think I'm over going to live that down though.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

njsykora posted:

My issue right now is I've gotten so overlevelled that I don't get to work my right side a lot of the time. If I get back to running soon I'll probably drop adventure and do entirely custom workouts.

I've heard this same complaint from a lot of reviews. I'm hoping they'll take it on board and eventually patch something in to correct it. I also wish that you could activate the warm up, heart rate check, and cooldown at any time. Some days I just want to play minigames or just do the sets. And yeah, I can go into adventure mode, warm up, exit, skip the cooldown, do whatever other things, then go back into adventure mode, skip the warmup, quit, do the cooldown. But that is an annoying workaround that shouldn't be required.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's another thing that annoys me, that the custom mode doesn't incorporate the warmup/cooldown. Hopefully there's a significant update in the works for the new year since I'd imagine a lot of people are going to get this for Christmas/in New Year sales.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Increase the difficulty if you aren’t feeling even, that might help? It’ll increase the number of reps but do the same amount of damage.

Or maybe try equipping lower-tier gear?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Increase the difficulty if you aren’t feeling even, that might help? It’ll increase the number of reps but do the same amount of damage.

Or maybe try equipping lower-tier gear?

I don't think that would actually change the end results though. You're just going from doing, say, 5 on each side to 10 on each side, but since they do the same damage, you still end up with a dead monster before you swap. Lower level gear might help a bit though, if you're wearing some set with a high attack bonus currently.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
You could always just complete the other half of the workout on your own, without the game telling you to.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You could always just complete the other half of the workout on your own, without the game telling you to.

I do this sometimes, the point is I shouldn't have to (ideally there'd be a way to change target mid-set if the original targets die, or just to finish the set if the battle is over). Same thing with this regarding custom mode not having warmup and cooldown attached to it.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I can go into adventure mode, warm up, exit, skip the cooldown, do whatever other things, then go back into adventure mode, skip the warmup, quit, do the cooldown. But that is an annoying workaround that shouldn't be required.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I am physically incapable of working out without it making numbers go up on my video game.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

I am physically incapable of working out without it making numbers go up on my video game.

:same:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

BobTheJanitor posted:

Honestly,

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

:eng101: turn on multitask mode and give the ring con a squeeze for every right side excercise rep you catch up on

I do hope they patch it so that it does alternate starting sides

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I hope they patch it so that I don't have to hear the victory pose and pulse tutorials every three days.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I noticed the other day while turning a bunch of ingredients into smoothies that the ring's various levels of sensitivity on the squeezing part is pretty high. Like, normally I was just squeezing it all the way and releasing for each one, assuming that it was basically just a binary thing, either you're sqeezing or you're not. But it will react even if you just baaaaarely squeeze. And the juice will drip drip drip out at a slow pace. It has multiple levels of response, from just barely dribbling up to the full gush. Though it was odd that they put that much detail into something that most people may never see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Well the ring is sensitive to the force you put on it, hence the title screen and how it gives you a % for how much you’re squeezing it. So I’m not surprised they went to that level of detail because it’s Nintendo.

I too hope they release some patches considering this game is selling like crazy in Japan and will probably be a popular gift for Christmas.