Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stravag posted:

Im sure the winters are more pleasant than in Tennessee or North Carolina where you get fluctuations of 21, -8, 26, -1 in a week and a half

fixed to be non-freedom units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm kind of responding to 2 pages ago, but don't forget that we're also seeing the results of a 40 year old effort to establish a pro-conservative propaganda and disinformation campaign across television and the internet in addition to a lot of people being old now, other countries semi-openly interfering with our democratic process and straight up buying politicians with no repercussions, and 60% of the population having miserable lives and being convinced to blame Others instead of the people who rule them.

And all the while the "left" chases it's own tail.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Ataxerxes posted:

Come to Finland if that falls through, we have better houses and an actual winter.

Studying the American Civil War in Finland is probably a non-starter.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

McNally posted:

Burnedy downdy Atlanta BORK BORK BORK!!

Doesn't seem that hard to me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Casimir Radon posted:

Burnedy downdy Atlanta BORK BORK BORK!!

Doesn't seem that hard to me.

That's Sweden.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

McNally posted:

That's Sweden.

close enough

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

McNally posted:

A Yankee in the Court of Frederick Charles.

If Karl Gutaf Emil Mannerheim can be portrayed by an African, a McNally should be good to study the ACW in the frozen North.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

McNally posted:

That's Sweden.
Pretty sure they're the same thing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I can tolerate upside-down person racism, but I cannot tolerate transparent-top-of-the-world-dweller racism.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

For about 700 years, it was!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

McNally posted:

I can tolerate upside-down person racism, but I cannot tolerate transparent-top-of-the-world-dweller racism.
I'm half-Norwegian, and therefore allowed to use those terms.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm half-Norwegian, and therefore allowed to use those terms.

yeah but you can pass as white

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If y'all need something fun to read for a while, here you go: https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...impression=true

A recap:

- Donnie and Walker get conned by Foxconn into giving a shitload of subsidies for a plant in Wisconsin, Donnie even visits to do the grip and grin, plus a contract is signed

- Foxconn announces plan to do something else entirely, Donnie gets mad and calls them, Foxconn goes back to original plan

- Foxconn then continues to do something else entirely, Democratic Governor gets elected

- Foxconn requests a contract modification to something else entirely, gets told by DemGov that they would get much lower subsidies because the plan is drastically different

- Foxconn fucks off and pretends they never asked for the contract mod, while giving the plant to a subsidiary

- Subsidiary makes noises that they're going to ask for subsidies, DemGov notices that subsidiary ain't a part of the original contract and needs to go gently caress themselves and have Foxconn go back to the original plan, or renegotiate and say what Foxconn actually wants to build

- Foxconn shuts the gently caress up

:toot:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Well gently caress, this kind of sucks

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1205603147034570754?s=19

HEY WAIT A MINUTE

https://twitter.com/jpaceDC/status/1205601977738186754?s=19

OK CONTINUE THIS IS GOOD CARRY ON

Edit: I think if Donnie wins, it makes clear in the middle of an election year that the courts are turbofucked. If Donnie loses, he has to cough up the tax returns. I think it's a win either way.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 13, 2019

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

McNally posted:

It isn't impossible. For example Helsinki University offers PhD (and MA, I'm not quite certain which you mean by post-graduate, as in Finland it always means a doctoral student) programs in English: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/research...ltural-heritage

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Ataxerxes posted:

It isn't impossible. For example Helsinki University offers PhD (and MA, I'm not quite certain which you mean by post-graduate, as in Finland it always means a doctoral student) programs in English: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/research...ltural-heritage

On the one hand there's probably less solid Americanist historians in Finland than Scotland, due to different histories of engagement, but on the other hand Finnish PhDs get a sword and a tophat instead of a goofy robe when they graduate.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

gently caress yes do it for the sword mcnally!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

If y'all need something fun to read for a while, here you go: https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...impression=true

A recap:

- Donnie and Walker get conned by Foxconn into giving a shitload of subsidies for a plant in Wisconsin, Donnie even visits to do the grip and grin, plus a contract is signed

- Foxconn announces plan to do something else entirely, Donnie gets mad and calls them, Foxconn goes back to original plan

- Foxconn then continues to do something else entirely, Democratic Governor gets elected

- Foxconn requests a contract modification to something else entirely, gets told by DemGov that they would get much lower subsidies because the plan is drastically different

- Foxconn fucks off and pretends they never asked for the contract mod, while giving the plant to a subsidiary

- Subsidiary makes noises that they're going to ask for subsidies, DemGov notices that subsidiary ain't a part of the original contract and needs to go gently caress themselves and have Foxconn go back to the original plan, or renegotiate and say what Foxconn actually wants to build

- Foxconn shuts the gently caress up

:toot:

God it's be awesome if this "deal" died

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

yeah but you can pass as opaque

ftfy

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

McNally posted:

Not if you're using satellite photos and Twitter to track it in progress!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

facialimpediment posted:

Edit: I think if Donnie wins, it makes clear in the middle of an election year that the courts are turbofucked. If Donnie loses, he has to cough up the tax returns. I think it's a win either way.

Sure it'll be good theater, but who is it going to sway at this point?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

... So you're going to study it in Scotland instead?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

the courts are turbofucked

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

https://youtu.be/2lqnhA9d_B8

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

God it's be awesome if this "deal" died

As a WI resident being originally from the community where this poo poo is happening hell yes this deal needs to die. It's embarrassing, a tremendous waste of money and land use, all whilst being a bullshit fake promise.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Not if you're using satellite photos and Twitter to track it in progress!

:nice:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

... So you're going to study it in Scotland instead?

The ACW had a measurable impact on the United Kingdom, to include the disruption of the British textile industry and the direct results of that, the impact massive arms purchases from both US and CS governments had on the British arms industry, and the political impacts of support for the Confederacy from within the British government.

The new hotness in Civil War studies is studying the international aspects of the war and it is, in my opinion, probably the last major area that hasn't been completely tapped out over the last 150 years.

The school in Scotland I'm looking at not only offers an American History masters program, but their senior lecturer for the program is an ACW historian.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

man..

the hope for the future at the end of 2009 is so drastically different than the hope for the future in 2019. it's wild to think about how much things have changed (or at the very least gotten coverage to open everyone's eyes to how lovely things actually are? i don't know).

we peaked a while ago, and we still sucked then.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I remember reading "the end of history" in 1995 and I was 50/50 on ok we won vs humanity will gently caress this up

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

McNally posted:

Nice racism

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

McNally posted:

The ACW had a measurable impact on the United Kingdom, to include the disruption of the British textile industry and the direct results of that, the impact massive arms purchases from both US and CS governments had on the British arms industry, and the political impacts of support for the Confederacy from within the British government.

The new hotness in Civil War studies is studying the international aspects of the war and it is, in my opinion, probably the last major area that hasn't been completely tapped out over the last 150 years.

The school in Scotland I'm looking at not only offers an American History masters program, but their senior lecturer for the program is an ACW historian.

I nerd about a little bit on the Civil War, I was an intern for the NC Underwater Archaeology branch doing remote sensing analysis on the sunken blockade runners that litter the coastline of Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, and Kure Beach. Wilmington, NC was their only destination for about half of the Civil War, and there's estimated ~100 English-built blockade runners sitting underneath the waves there. Word that was 2 successful runs (guns/cannon going in, cotton/tobacco coming out) was enough to pay for the ship used to smuggle the cargo, pay the captain/crew, and have some left over as a nice profit.

Wilmington's weird coastal geography meant that the USN had to dedicate 2 blockading squadrons to the area, but that was hounded by Fort Fisher being the most fortified place on the planet at the time. The attack to take Fort Fisher from the Confederates was the largest amphibious assault until loving D-Day itself. The USN ships usually had to get dead-lucky to intercept a blockade runner before they got under the protection of the Fort Fisher guns, unless you were LT Breck, commanding the USS Niphon. Sherman may have been an underachiever, but Breck was decidedly not. At least 7 blockade runners, 1 confederate artillery battery (what wasn't destroyed was stolen and repurposed), and a confederate salt works all fell before him and his crew, as well as a landing party to gather intel on Wilmington itself prior to the attack on the city.

About 30 years after the civil war ended, Wilmington was the setting of the only successful coup in the US.

quote:

The coup occurred after the state's white Southern Democratic Party conspired and led a mob of 2,000 white men to overthrow the legitimately-elected local Fusionist government. They expelled opposition black and white political leaders from the city, destroyed the property and businesses of black citizens built up since the Civil War, including the only black newspaper in the city, and killed an estimated 60 to more than 300 people.[15][16][17][18]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_insurrection_of_1898

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

I nerd about a little bit on the Civil War, I was an intern for the NC Underwater Archaeology branch doing remote sensing analysis on the sunken blockade runners that litter the coastline of Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, and Kure Beach. Wilmington, NC was their only destination for about half of the Civil War, and there's estimated ~100 English-built blockade runners sitting underneath the waves there. Word that was 2 successful runs (guns/cannon going in, cotton/tobacco coming out) was enough to pay for the ship used to smuggle the cargo, pay the captain/crew, and have some left over as a nice profit.

Wilmington's weird coastal geography meant that the USN had to dedicate 2 blockading squadrons to the area, but that was hounded by Fort Fisher being the most fortified place on the planet at the time. The attack to take Fort Fisher from the Confederates was the largest amphibious assault until loving D-Day itself. The USN ships usually had to get dead-lucky to intercept a blockade runner before they got under the protection of the Fort Fisher guns, unless you were LT Breck, commanding the USS Niphon. Sherman may have been an underachiever, but Breck was decidedly not. At least 7 blockade runners, 1 confederate artillery battery (what wasn't destroyed was stolen and repurposed), and a confederate salt works all fell before him and his crew, as well as a landing party to gather intel on Wilmington itself prior to the attack on the city.

About 30 years after the civil war ended, Wilmington was the setting of the only successful coup in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_insurrection_of_1898

OK maybe you're the guy I've been waiting to ask this for twenty years: Why the hell did the CSA have a naval base in Charlotte NC?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stravag posted:

Im sure the winters are more pleasant than in tn or nc where you get fluctuations of 70 20 80 30 in a week and a half

poo poo you can get that in Florida

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

yeah a florida winter is freezing temps at night but we can go to the beach and just avoid the water in the daytime

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

poo poo you can get that in Florida

idk this seems like a rare tweetsicle

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/tomwfranck/status/1205540812592963591

gee, I don't know, is there a certain powerful Senator setting up impeachment trial rules whose state would highly benefit from this?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

colachute posted:

yeah a florida winter is freezing temps at night but we can go to the beach and just avoid the water in the daytime

just don't launch any space shuttles

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

OK maybe you're the guy I've been waiting to ask this for twenty years: Why the hell did the CSA have a naval base in Charlotte NC?

Wilmington was set up really well rail-wise. If supplies landed in Wilmington, they could be nearly anywhere in the confederacy within ~3 days. I’m guessing a lot of raw materials for ships were processed in Charlotte, before being sent to the coast to be built into whatever slavery-protecting machine the confederates wanted to build.

The one in Charlotte also replaced one in Norfolk, which was lost to the US Navy in 1862.

https://www.ncpedia.org/charlotte-navy-yard

It looks exactly like a wiki at first glance, but it’s managed by the N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources. Lots of museums, colleges, and archaeologists involved in the mix there.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

McNally posted:

So much for the tolerant Leif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sure it'll be good theater, but who is it going to sway at this point?

The 2020 election will not be a persuasion election. The 2020 Democratic primary will be, but everyone's mind is made up already on the Trump yea/nay. The 2020 general is going to be a turnout election.

I can see maybe-will-maybe-wont-vote Democrats getting pulled into voting with that kind of big reminder.

Courts are still hosed though.