Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

redreader posted:

Ok, my mistake. I have some other thing that must not be the collection, that is 2/3/peace walker. I think it's mgs remastered or something.
[/quote]

HD collection is 2/3/PW on ps3 and 2/3 on vita. Both have MG 1 and 2 in MGS3. Legacy Collection has everything in HD plus 1, VR missions, 4, PW, and the Bandee Desinee VN adaptations of MGS 1/2. MGS1 and VR missions is a download code in that one if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I took a peek into PS Now and it looks like the HD Collection games stream well enough to be playable. I think I'll be putting them on the back burner until I finish this runthrough of V though, I could probably handle Peace Walker but I can tell after a few minutes in game that the mechanics differences in Snake Eater will break my brain if I try to keep switching in and out of it. Seems better to just go straight through it.

Someone mentioned MGS1, I couldn't find it anywhere for PS4. The store is a pain to navigate though, I may have overlooked something.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Someone mentioned MGS1, I couldn't find it anywhere for PS4. The store is a pain to navigate though, I may have overlooked something.

Unfortunately I don't think it's available on PS4 at the moment.

The HD Collection streamed fine for me though. The only slight issue I had was with MGS4, and that worked fine most of the time too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I'm still chewing through MGSV, and doing a million times better than the first time around, thanks to paying a lot more attention to how the game handles sneaking mechanics (not to mention, having a much better idea from the start about what weapons and support items to research in case things *do* go south).

The Subsistence version of the C2W mission (destroying comms equipment) was my roadblock last time, I never got past it successfully. The funny thing is, I could probably sneak in successfully this time around, but I just did the whole thing in about 30 seconds without even leaving the chopper. I don't even know whether to feel proud or ashamed of myself.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I'm still loving around with TPP too. Just doing side missions and existing on the map for as long as I can. My only goal is to get all my teams fully S-ranked or better. I really should just stick to FOB events, but I prefer to just play around and not deal with load screens. Plus FOBs are way more stressful than just fuckin around.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Side missions are great, just running around with your dog buddy while chilling to the greatest hits of the '80s. I just imagine the "goddammit, again?!" look on everyone's faces as I run into the airport and clean out their cargo crates for the fifth time on my way to other stuff.
Also I know the story delivery is weird, but I'm making a point to listen to the tapes this time around, and it's kinda nice to just have narration to listen to while doing stuff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I got a bunch further this time but the whole string of :ninja: TOTAL STEALTH :ninja: and :supaburn: EXTREME :supaburn: missions may be my end. Some are okay, but I was hoping a few more would be completely new. I beat the first two stealth ones, but the other two are long ones that already gave me trouble the first time around, and the extreme challenges look like they're stacked more towards boss fights and such, I just don't feel much motivation to do either of those :sigh:

We'll see, but if that's it for the main missions, I feel a lot better about how far I got and how much more of the story/burger tapes I unlocked.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There are like maybe 3 new missions once you get to that part but yeah it’s mostly repeats.

Gas pistol is great for the total stealth missions for dealing with riot suit dudes. I like it a lot for dealing with the dudes in the walkers. Or the D114-9 since it will slice right through helmets (total stealth does not mean leave no traces, it just means no full combat alerts). Quiet is really good since her shots don’t count as an alert for you, and you don’t need D-Dog since you can use Noctocyanin to reveal dudes while you’re clearing an outpost. Sadly man’s best friend can now be replaced by a little pill made from desert haoma.

Serval chews up Skulls. Even the armor skulls.

For Sahelanthropus use the CGM and battle dress. If you’re not trying to s-rank the mission then the infinity bandana is often helpful to churn through those objectives. I don’t think you need to do the challenge mode missions to get the infinity bandana, just finish mission 46.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 6, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Thanks, all that'll be worth looking into.

Part of the problem now is that I keep getting upgrades in mind, but they're taking long enough that I keep forgetting about them. Better pistol options and especially battle armor are on the way. I've also been struggling to figure out how to deal with the riot suits and various armor options, I only recently realized you can send out teams to stop their supply; I've done a few but haven't noticed any major changes in enemies yet.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Which one is the gas pistol?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Captain Hygiene posted:

Part of the problem now is that I keep getting upgrades in mind, but they're taking long enough that I keep forgetting about them. Better pistol options and especially battle armor are on the way. I've also been struggling to figure out how to deal with the riot suits and various armor options, I only recently realized you can send out teams to stop their supply; I've done a few but haven't noticed any major changes in enemies yet.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure how the mechanics of the sabotage combat deployments works. I think it does not affect story missions, missions that specify dudes in riot suits or whatever will always have dudes in riot suits. I am not sure if that means that it only affects free roam? If so, when does it take effect? Like, if you sabotage riot suits or security cameras, does that mean all the riot suits are instantly downgraded and the cameras disappear, or the next outpost is spawned with weaker defenses, or does it only take effect when you go back to the chopper? Also, how long does it last?

Pistol slot is actually extremely useful, IMO it's probably more useful than the primary slot. All the revolvers are extremely good, the airshock revolver is extremely good (especially against riot suits), the AM D114-9 is the only weapon outside AMRs (Serval/Brennan) that can 1HK through helmets, the Zorn models are extremely good, the gas pistol is extremely good against riot suit dudes, the burkov tranq gives you a ridiculous amount of ammo if you can headshot, and of course the s-pistol for armor penetration or carbine use or whatever. There is a ton you can do with your pistol slot.

In contrast, the primary slot you just have... ARs, shotguns, and grenade launchers. ARs are terrible against armor dudes and fairly short range so I'd always rather have a sniper than an AR. Shotguns are generally not great since you have to close to point blank before they do much, and at that point you might as well use CQC instead. Grenade launchers are fine but the stun/sleep are expensive to deploy. I feel like 99% of the time I either run airshock shotgun, Hail micro-grenade launcher, or stun/sleep grenades. I guess the one upside to ARs is that once you unlock underbarrel launchers you can take an AR with a grenade launcher but I never actually use the AR part of it.

(I have also never really used SMGs and don't see the draw. The riot SMG could potentially be good but it burns through suppressors in like one magazine, all of the other suffer from basically the same problems as AR except worse plus they burn through suppressors super fast too. I researched them to get the L3 suppressor but I can count the number of times I've used them on one hand.)

Anyway, for riot dudes, take the D114-9 and just headshot them, problem solved. Reading the wiki, it sounds like maybe the level-5 D114-45 LB might also work (but not the level 4). Or the Serval/Brennan, although that means you can't take a nonlethal sniper or a missile launcher. If you want to be nonlethal against riot suit dudes then your choices are basically melee them, tranq them in the joints of their armor, stun them (airshock shotgun/revolver or stun grenade), or sleep them (gas pistol or sleep grenade). Or various Snake shenanigans - hand of jehuty, rocket fist, blast from your stun fist, etc. They are definitely one of the tougher enemies outside skulls.

Also if you haven't be sure to find the gunsmith, being able to swap weapon parts around is extremely useful for min/maxing a weapon for a particular role.

(sorry for the wall o text, I just like chatting about the game)

Look Sir Droids posted:

Which one is the gas pistol?

AM A114 RP (Riot Pistol), you need to do FOB missions to get the blueprint but it's not too hard to build.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 6, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

hand of jehuty

I literally just learned about this yesterday and was all :aaa:
I researched it and put it in my loadout today but sadly haven't gotten close enough for any grabby shenanigans yet.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

AM A114 RP (Riot Pistol), you need to do FOB missions to get the blueprint but it's not too hard to build.

Ah, I just got that. It's kind of expensive to build if you haven't finished the game yet tbh.

For riot suit dudes, I either CQC them if I can get them isolated or use a smoke grenade and just run in and body slam them once they're coughing. Smoke is much cheaper than sleep or stun grenades to deploy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well, I got a bunch further this time but the whole string of :ninja: TOTAL STEALTH :ninja: and :supaburn: EXTREME :supaburn: missions may be my end.
You don't need to do them to progress any story stuff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I'm realizing that this time around as I'm clearing a ton more side missions and getting lots of story. I'd like to finish them, but now just for completion.
(although, I sorta feel like the first Subsistence one might be a progress point, I never beat it the first time around and the story and missions just seemed to stop unlocking no matter what I did in side ops. Could be a misunderstood impression though)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been reading the MGS art books and I've just now learned that Mt Snakemore is an illusory Octocamo projection on Outer Haven rather than an actual physical thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I've been reading the MGS art books and I've just now learned that Mt Snakemore is an illusory Octocamo projection on Outer Haven rather than an actual physical thing.

:(

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Any other childhood dreams you want to destroy while you're here? Next you're going to tell me that Gray Fox didn't study ninjitsu and therefore is not officially a ninja.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's still pretty great if you imagine Liquid Ocelot specifically requesting the Octocamo to take the shape of Mt Snakemore, complete with diagrams he's put together.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Necrothatcher posted:

What the gently caress, I shouldn't have slept on the MGS art books, this is blowing my mind

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

the stun arm is key (and hilarious) for stealth and dealing with armored opponents; snake screams at the top of his lungs and calls forth a giant hail of lightning, stunning everyone, but alerting nobody

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It alerts anybody outside the range to be stunned, but close enough to see a body drop.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
man the rewards from FOB missions are so insanely high, like sure you could spend an hour running around collecting s-rank soldiers in free-roam, or you could do one normal-difficulty FOB mission and get 15k event points which translates into 30 s-rank soldiers of your choice

the hard invasion this week is kinda annoying, since the dudes equip the AP helmet which means you have to shoot them in the face, and that makes the handgun neutralizations pretty annoying to achieve.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The FOBs are lucrative if you're good at them and get all the objectives. If you gently caress up and get spotted, you can still easily finish the invasion (maybe not on the HARD versions) but your reward gets severely kneecapped. Also since one of the objectives is always Do It Fast, you're going to take the same optimal route each time. So it gets boring. I'll do them occasionally, but I usually just want to do some low pressure side missions or clown on some AI to take an outpost.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

the stun arm is key (and hilarious) for stealth and dealing with armored opponents; snake screams at the top of his lungs and calls forth a giant hail of lightning, stunning everyone, but alerting nobody

:lol:
I love stun arm but Hand of Jehuty is my new favorite, I didn't even know it existed a week ago but I've been on so many stealth missions doing nothing but teleporting enemies recruits over to me.

Anyways I'm probably done with this playthrough, I got what I wanted out of it which was a bunch more missions and (especially) a more complete run through the story - up to the opening scene revisit and the truth tapes. Next time I get the urge to play it I'll probably grab the PC version since I can apparently mod out the useless wait times for tech development.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Look Sir Droids posted:

The FOBs are lucrative if you're good at them and get all the objectives. If you gently caress up and get spotted, you can still easily finish the invasion (maybe not on the HARD versions) but your reward gets severely kneecapped. Also since one of the objectives is always Do It Fast, you're going to take the same optimal route each time. So it gets boring. I'll do them occasionally, but I usually just want to do some low pressure side missions or clown on some AI to take an outpost.

Yeah, I feel that. Unless you are really into FOB invasions, the endgame is... running a 3-minute fob event over and over again, to grind staff/resources, to let you get better weapons to run the fob event.

Getting spotted definitely hurts the reward but you still get a decent chunk for finishing the rest, and at that point you've lost your no kills/no alerts bonus so you can just murderize your way through the remaining enemies without penalty. Hail MGR fucks up dudes like crazy and with the drum mag you get 60 grenades or something stupid like that.

Also, I have been running the underbarrel explosive grenade launcher (the russian one I think) on my tranq sniper rifle for a little more boom boom. Nice if you want to be running air-shock shotgun on the primary too, so you still have some lethal options.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 9, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Easy mode for FOBs is still just Hail Stun Grenade Launcher, right? At least non-event FOBs. I wish they'd shake up the objectives a bit.

When the game came out, I was doing invasions all sneaky like and they were so boring, but then I started doing murder sprees bc the idea of somebody logging on like :negative: seeing all their dead dudes was more funny to me than stealing their box of common metals. But it doesn't matter now because FOB defenses for the players I can invade are so rock solid and it's not like anybody is playing and would care.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Look Sir Droids posted:

Easy mode for FOBs is still just Hail Stun Grenade Launcher, right? At least non-event FOBs. I wish they'd shake up the objectives a bit.

When the game came out, I was doing invasions all sneaky like and they were so boring, but then I started doing murder sprees bc the idea of somebody logging on like :negative: seeing all their dead dudes was more funny to me than stealing their box of common metals. But it doesn't matter now because FOB defenses for the players I can invade are so rock solid and it's not like anybody is playing and would care.

if you don't have any artificial constraints from an event and just want to murderize your way through their defenses, I would do Hail MGR, Serval, and D114-9LB. You can't beat the Hail's ammo capacity and the Serval and D114-9LB both slice through helmets no problem, so you won't have any riot suit dude problems. Or instead of Serval take your choice of missile launcher, maybe the FB MR Launcher II or something.

There is no Hail stun grenade launcher though, there is the Russian launcher, the American launcher, and the six-barrel launcher. I kinda think the grenade launchers (other than hail) are of limited utility because they immediately trigger a soft alert. If you want to go non-lethal and are going up against riot suit dudes then the only sensible thing to put in that slot is S1000 Airshock. The other way to go there is the gas pistol (AM A114 Riot Pistol) since that bypasses the armor too.

It's kind of unfortunate because there's a lot of weapons you don't really get to play with in FOB invasions/events because they're "non-optimal". The Zorn launchers and the Uragan Airshock as well, they are great weapons but they immediately trigger a soft alert, so they're tough to justify unless you are going loud. And if you go loud and lose your stealth bonus points you might as well go lethal instead of playing with dinky stun guns. I actually think the Uragan Airshock is a better weapon than the shotgun other than the fact that it can't be silenced.

But if you go loud/go lethal than you don't get nearly as much reward. Pretty sure if you are detected you don't get high-ranking S+/S++ soldiers. :\

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 9, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there any need for S+ soldiers? All they seem necessary for is researching the ultra high tier gear that is too expensive to use on anything except more FOB grind.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Everyone has a thing in video games that everyone else seems to find easy, but you find bizarrely difficult. For me it's the Peace Walker vehicle battles. I've seen videos, read guides, planned out. Apparently I'm just really bad at these things.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Everyone has a thing in video games that everyone else seems to find easy, but you find bizarrely difficult. For me it's the Peace Walker vehicle battles. I've seen videos, read guides, planned out. Apparently I'm just really bad at these things.

They’re kind of tough early on when you have low level equipment and it’s spamming dudes at you nonstop. It gets easier, and the Fulton Bazooka makes them a snap.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Those things are finicky sometimes and downright tedious. The optimal strat for the helicopters is boring as gently caress. And those tank fights where you don’t have enough Fultons to clear all the backup can go wrong in a lot of ways. Setting up the traps to get the tank to accidentally murder part of the backup crew for you, just ugh.

E: I don’t recall the Fulton bazooka helping because you gave to stealth the whole thing to get the commander to pop out. I don’t think you can S rank then any other way. If you’re not going for the S, just kill everything.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 11, 2019

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

They just aren't fun single player, imo. And I love Peace Walker as a whole, possibly too much, but the vehicle fights were Monster Hunter poo poo that shouldn't have been in.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Nabbed a great (well, A+ so great by my standards) soldier aaaand of course Quiet didn't like the idea of his secrets becoming mine, so she took the liberty of shooting him in my arms.

"Now, tell me where the others a- ...oh"

I swear Quiet is still working for the enemy, and is blatantly trying to foil my efforts. :saddowns:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 13, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Nabbed a great (well, A+ so great by my standards) soldier aaaand of course Quiet didn't like the idea of his secrets becoming mine, so she took the liberty of shooting him in my arms.

"Now, tell me where the others a- ...oh"

I swear Quiet is still working for the enemy, and is blatantly trying to foil my efforts. :saddowns:

Sounds like Boss is a little rusty on the basics of CQC, he should've had plenty of time to subdue that fellow peacefully.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sounds like Boss is a little rusty on the basics of CQC, he should've had plenty of time to subdue that fellow peacefully.

Quiet will actually murder dudes who are on the ground slept/stunned if she is in cover-fire mode.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Quiet will actually murder dudes who are on the ground slept/stunned if she is in cover-fire mode.

drat, I don't think I saw that. I think the couple times I recruited folks while doing cover fire mode I must've spirited them away fast enough that she didn't get the chance.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

She does it less if you get your loyalty up with her. You can also get her a tranq rifle.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Maybe that was it, I did a max friendship run for everyone this time around :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

When I find S+ dudes out in the field, after I extract them I can’t find them in the Brig or the New Recruits list. Does the game just immediately file them in the right group and forget you Fultoned them? Is the game scamming me and downgrading them to S rank?

Next time I see one, I’m going to extract just that dude and leave so I can track him easier.