Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Later that night my girlfriend’s parents asked me not to help the maid clean because it was a boundary thing and her work was her work and guests are guests. I told them it made me really uncomfortable to have someone clean around me and they just said not to worry because she’s paid well and has been with them a long time.

Having a guest clean your house makes people feel like bad hosts, but i sympathize with this guys discomfort. Is everyone supposed to sit there talking to eachother while the servants scrub the floor of that room? Very weird and very aristo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Play posted:

I had my dog in college and it was totally fine. In fact, it was even easier to take care of him then due to my schedule, now that I work 8 hours a day in a row it's actually more challenging. Caring for a dog in college is not innately impossible, it's not like college students don't have free time.

My dog and I had some amazing times which is why that story has got me so excitable, if my parents tried to do that I would've gone full scorched-earth, dognapping followed by estrangement.

It's his dog for christs sake, he begged for it and was given it as a birthday present and took care of it and raised it and now even secured his own apartment with his own money so that his dog could live with him. Those are the actions of a good dog owner who doesn't deserve to have their dog, which they cared for since birth and grew up with, taken from them.

This could apply to the father just as easily. More easily, in fact, since it's not actually his dog.

Did you not read the post saying it is a family dog?

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I'm going to say your average college student shouldn't have a dog because their lives have more randomness in them than probably any other time in your life.

Unless you're a loving loser.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my bully with terminal cancer that I don't forgive them or feel sympathy for them?

There's this one girl (17F) at school who just got diagnosed with terminal cancer. She would bully me (17M) since I was 13, usually just call me names and make snide remarks. It wasn't constant and relentless bullying but it did make me feel low and inferior.

She stopped at 16 because I finally got my anxiety under control and stood up for myself then embarrassed her. Though she never apologised.

So she got terminal cancer and made some big post on her social media and got lots of attention. When saw me in school she was tearful and apologised for how she treated me.

Honestly, I felt nothing. I said "I don't accept your apology, nor do I offer you my sympathies" and walked away, I could hear her cry even more.

My friends agree with what I did but all her friends gave me poo poo. I try to ignore them when I see them but they just come at me like rabid animals and say stuff that I should say sorry and that I'm an rear end in a top hat. I blocked them on social media. Idk maybe I was too harsh, but if I'm being honest I don't feel sympathy for her. I worked through my resentment with a therapist and honestly, I feel.nothing for her. No hatred, but no sympathy either. When she dies, it will be just another day for me. Maybe this makes.me an AH but I cant help how I feel and I spoke what I felt, just as she did. AITA?

Yeesh. Shoulda just lied.

The fact that he cares enough to rub her face in poo poo and then blab on reddit probably means he doesn't "feel nothing".

She's gonna be dead soon and free of this bullshit, but he's going to be remembering this for the next 50 years. Also, apparently word about what he did has gotten around to everyone and that's not some social stigma you want in your life.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Play posted:

I had my dog in college and it was totally fine. In fact, it was even easier to take care of him then due to my schedule, now that I work 8 hours a day in a row it's actually more challenging. Caring for a dog in college is not innately impossible, it's not like college students don't have free time.

My dog and I had some amazing times which is why that story has got me so excitable, if my parents tried to do that I would've gone full scorched-earth, dognapping followed by estrangement.

It's his dog for christs sake, he begged for it and was given it as a birthday present and took care of it and raised it and now even secured his own apartment with his own money so that his dog could live with him. Those are the actions of a good dog owner who doesn't deserve to have their dog, which they cared for since birth and grew up with, taken from them.

This could apply to the father just as easily. More easily, in fact, since it's not actually his dog.

The person whose dog it "is" is largely a matter of who spends the most time with the pooch, cares for it, and most importantly who does the dog dote on and follow about. None of these are the kid. He doesn't get to uproot a mature dog out of selfishness.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Play posted:

Except since high school apparently he hasn't been the one taking care of this dog. He's been visiting the dog monthly in its family home, he should just keep doing that instead of forcing it to move into a small apartment and giving it less interaction than the rest of the family does

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

duck trucker posted:

I'm going to say your average college student shouldn't have a dog because their lives have more randomness in them than probably any other time in your life.

Unless you're a loving loser.

As someone who also had their dog live with them in college, it’s this. You have to be home every night to comfort/feed/let the dog out, etc. this can severely impact your ability to have fun getaways, party all night and crash where you land, etc. nevertheless, if I had to do it all again I wouldn’t change a thing. I miss that dog every day of my life :(

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Yeesh. Shoulda just lied.

The fact that he cares enough to rub her face in poo poo and then blab on reddit probably means he doesn't "feel nothing".

She's gonna be dead soon and free of this bullshit, but he's going to be remembering this for the next 50 years. Also, apparently word about what he did has gotten around to everyone and that's not some social stigma you want in your life.

Lasca
May 8, 2007

Bully girl should just own it and spend her last years totally clowning on the dude. Like, pie in face level stupid poo poo.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Chamale posted:

A med can treat a problem but also have serious side effects. CPR restarted my heart, but it also bruised the hell out of my ribs. I agree, saying "It helped me so it can't have hurt you" is wrong and worrying.
Plus a treatment can work for one person and not another, especially if it's experimental or involves the brain. I heard of a case of a guy who attempted suicide because of severe untreatable mental illness (I think bipolar?) but the bullet managed to take out the damaged part of his brain causing the worst stuff while doing only minimal to moderate damage to other functions. Doesn't mean a gun is a treatment device, even if brain surgery might be.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

QuarkJets posted:

Except since high school apparently he hasn't been the one taking care of this dog. He's been visiting the dog monthly in its family home, he should just keep doing that instead of forcing it to move into a small apartment and giving it less interaction than the rest of the family does

That's . . . one year out of the dog's eleven year lifespan. The only time the son wasn't around and wasn't caring for the dog at all. He took care of the dog for ten years (with his parents' help, sure), asked his parents to watch it while he got situated in college, and is now being betrayed by his father in an arrangement that was always supposed to be temporary until dad got it into his head that he wanted to keep the dog.

Also some people are saying college is too wild for a dog, other's saying it won't get enough interaction... get it straight. Living in an apartment at college is equivalent to living in an apartment and working, except with even more free time. It's neither too crazy nor too sedate for a dog. Myself and many of my friends had dogs in university, to great success.

Serephina posted:

The person whose dog it "is" is largely a matter of who spends the most time with the pooch, cares for it, and most importantly who does the dog dote on and follow about. None of these are the kid. He doesn't get to uproot a mature dog out of selfishness.

The dog follows him and his wife when the kid is gone. He never says anything about the dog preferring them over the kid. Suspiciously, in fact. The dog SLEPT IN THE KID'S ROOM RIGHT UP UNTIL HE LEFT FOR COLLEGE. In fact, he explicitly states that the dog only started following them around all day once the son left for college. Does that sound like a dog who prefers his parents? No. Any dog would do the same in those circumstances. My dog does the exact same thing if I leave him with my parents for a bit, because he needs someone to imprint on.

The dad says that the kid took care of the dog for the first five years completely, then shared the responsibilities after that. Even that part is pretty sketchy... the dad says the kid got distracted with high school but doesn't say he stopped taking care of the dog, just that he was with the dog a lot because I guess the dad doesn't work or something.

They never would've gotten the dog if not for the kid, who cared for it for years and has worked hard to prepare for his dog joining him down at college. Even the dad grudgingly admits that the kid's apartment is a fine place for the dog.

Basically, you fools are just accepting what the dad says, which is a slanted and suspicious narrative that attempts to justify the fact that he simply wants the dog and doesn't want to give it to the son, his true owner and first love

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for not attending family therapy?

quote:

My ex wife is extremely dramatic, overbearing and manipulative. She loves to have her way. She has primary custody of our 7 year old who she is convinced needs a therapist because he has been acting out in school. So she enrolled him with one who also does family therapy.

That therapist has since diagnosed him with anxiety.

I keep getting invites from my ex to go to their family therapy sessions. He does his own individually once a week. Family is once a month. I am refusing to go. One because the times are always super inconvenient. They meet at his school (this is a school based therapy so he doesn’t miss school). Two because my wife is convinced that my lack of a good relationship with him is part of the issue.

Together they have apparently and my son has separately told the therapist that I say mean things to him (I just don’t baby him) and that I never see him (not true). I admit I could spend more time with him but being able to always be there is hard. I make it when I can and I communicate with him when I can’t.

A year ago she was feeling overwhelmed after a “medical thing” (she claimed she almost died from cancer but it was really a simple surgery) and cried to me about taking him for a while. I couldn’t. She threatened to drop him off at my parents and run away. She has since claimed to have worked through it with her own therapist and talked through it with our son apologizing for “mommy having a tough time”.

I asked the therapist on the phone if my son talked about me and she said “Yes, sometimes” Then she asked me to come in for the next session but I was working that day.

I think a huge issue is her having tried to abandon him and generally just being who she is which is an awful person and my son picks up on that.

I have told her flat out I am not going to those appointments. I have ignored the emails from the therapist.

I am walking into a room already primed to consider me at fault and I don’t think I need to be there for that. Why? So she can say “see who agrees with me” and be smug about it.

She said she talked to a lawyer and she could take it to court to get it ordered and I told her to go ahead but I will fight to choose the therapist, not someone already on her side. I am sure she has bought all my exes lies and my son’s exaggerations that are fed and created by my ex.

AITA for not going to family therapy when clearly it is meant to attack or belittle me?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Love isn’t the only thing that matters. The dog’s needs and comforts need to be considered above everything else and any responsible pet owner will recognize that in this scenario, the dog will most likely have the best quality of life if it remains in the stable environment it grew up in with the people who have been taking care of it through its most recent health issues.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

DemoneeHo posted:

Goddamn, dude's determined to be aggressively lovely

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

DemoneeHo posted:

my son has separately told the therapist that I say mean things to him (I just don’t baby him)

YTA and i hope you die, because literally every time somebody says this they are an abusive loving piece of poo poo who belittles constantly and has never praised their children in their entire lives

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

I’m Terrified I Made the Wrong Choice About My Son’s Circumcision

quote:

Dear How to Do It,

When I was pregnant with my son 18 years ago, my husband (circumcised) and I decided we would forgo this particular procedure for our son. Our religion does not require it, and after seeing the place at the hospital where doctors did the procedure, I couldn’t imagine doing that to our tiny baby. At that time, I felt comfortable in our decision. (If background info is helpful: We reside in a liberal city in the Midwest; I think being uncircumcised is more common on the coasts? I remember as a new mother thinking that about two-thirds of baby boys I knew were circumcised. We are white and I became pregnant at age 34.)

Over the years, I have struggled with periods of doubt about having made the right decision for my son. Different things would push me over the edge: My parents could not believe we would not circumcise our baby; we finally had to beg them not to talk about it. When my son was 2, another boy pointed at his penis and laughed, and I freaked out at the kid. Once, I read an article about how people with uncircumcised penises have all sorts of horrible problems with hygiene and asked my son if he wished he were circumcised (eyeroll, “No, Mom, it’s fine”). Most recently, I have read in this column that wearing a condom is difficult with an uncircumcised penis. By not circumcising my son, have I made a horrible mistake?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

DemoneeHo posted:

have fun losing joint custody of your child

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

r/relationships: Thinking about my sons dick for 18 years

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Admiral Bosch posted:

have fun losing joint custody of your child

this sounds like it might be for the best for everyone, frankly

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

If you can't make it to therapy once a month for your kid just bail on him already, Jesus Christ. Kid is better off without you.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

The absent dad is convinced that his ex and the therapist are alienating him from his son, but he doesn't realize that he's doing the alienaton himself

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Play posted:

My dog does the exact same thing if I leave him with my parents for a bit, because he needs someone to imprint on.

I don't think you know what imprinting means

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

This is a really weird thing to be worried about, especially 18 years after the fact. You already asked him about it, he said it's fine, so what else is there to stress out about? Lady needs to relax.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
God drat, "she's convinced he needs therapy" followed by the fact he has an actual diagnosis from said therapist. Also he doesn't claim she didn't have cancer, just that she made suuuuch a big deal of it when it was apparently "a simple surgery". Even in his own biased words he's an utter prick

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I babysat for a family where the aunt and uncle had custody of the kid, because mom and dad were drug addicts but refused to cut parental rights because every tax season, they got a nice check. They saw kid maybe once every few months.

So I'm watching this three year old and one day the aunt tells me he won't be wearing diapers or pants for a while. Because his parents decided to get him circumsized, so he'd 'look like his dad' and they did it at age 3 because they couldn't afford it when he was born. It was loving hell trying to take care of a usually happy toddler who couldn't sit down without crying, and trying not to use wipes on that area, and gently caress, all the fits because his toilet training was just loving gone.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hey son, how's your penis?

It's fine, stop asking.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cumshitter posted:

Hey son, how's your penis?

It's fine, stop asking.

18 years later...

*still thinkin bout that penis*

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
is it cheating if your fiance gives a stripper a partial handjob and the stripper has cancer 🤔

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
My (20f) boyfriend (52m) doesn’t want me talking to boys, what do I do?

quote:

So we met on the internet and then actually met irl and I love him. We’ve been together for a year and everything thing is fine except he’s super insecure when it comes to other men. He’s my longest relationship so far. I have been with several men before him and I am not a virgin either.

I totally understand this and we have talked about it and I’ve agreed to a certain extent. I don’t go out with other men, or dm them in any sort of way which wasn’t a big deal because I didn’t in the first place. Now he wants me to ignore any men that comment on my posts etc I told him he’s taking it too far. Am I being crazy? These posts are on twitter. So it’s mostly shitposting and stolen memes sometimes it’s inappropriate pics of other people (porn) but I stopped that when he told me it made him feel uncomfortable.

Edit 1=he has been in long term relationships all his life, no hookups/one night stands. He’s not that type of guy. He was cheated on twice in his past relationships which make him insecure.

Edit 2= the fact that I’m a lot younger also makes him insecure because he thinks I’m going to leave him.

Edit 3= he was single and I was single when we met. No affairs or cheating. He has been married but was divorced long before me.

Edit 4= I can talk to men in a public and group setting. He doesn’t want any one to one time between me and another man that’s outside of work. The main reason for that is there’s been a few times where guys have kind of attacked me and it worries him

24 Comments

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

1redflag posted:

As someone who also had their dog live with them in college, it’s this. You have to be home every night to comfort/feed/let the dog out, etc. this can severely impact your ability to have fun getaways, party all night and crash where you land, etc. nevertheless, if I had to do it all again I wouldn’t change a thing. I miss that dog every day of my life :(

There’s an Arthur C. Clarke story about a man who gives up his dog to take a job on the moon. I think we’re supposed to think he made the right decision, but I never thought he did.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

My (20f) boyfriend (52m) doesn’t want me talking to boys, what do I do?

Young enough to be his granddaughter if successive teen pregnancies.

I feel like that is definitely too much of an age gap, like does she not have parents who want to see her do well? Has dated other men but a 52 year old is her longest relationship? Met online?

Or maybe he is mega rich. Who knows. This could easily be Leonardo DiCaprio's girlfriend in a few years.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

18 years later...

*still thinkin bout that penis*

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/12/13/penis-fish-cover-drakes-beach-california-photo/2636443001/

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for uninviting a married couple even though I only dislike the husband?

So my girlfriend and I host a board game night every Wednesday night and invite some people in our apartment complex who are around our age. We order pizza and provide some basic snacks like chips and pretzels, and everyone else brings the beer. It's normally just us, another couple who lives next to us, and two guys who are roommates.

Another couple, Jenna and Geoff, just moved in down the hall a few months ago, and we introduced ourselves and asked if they wanted to join. They said sure, they love board games. Jenna's really awesome and is fun to hang out with, but Geoff has no filter whatsoever and gets way too competitive for a casual board game night with neighbors. He says condescending stuff like "wow, you really suck at this game" and is just kind of a dick in general. Once, we were playing Codenames in teams and he told my girlfriend some of her guesses were "retarded." Maybe that would be fine if we were all close friends and joking around, but we barely know this guy and he makes things awkward and uncomfortable for everyone. I've tried to get him to tone it down multiple times, but he says it's just the way he is, like that's something to be proud of.

My girlfriend and I don't want to invite Geoff to our game nights anymore, which I'm pretty sure means we can't invite Jenna either. I like Jenna, and I feel really lovely about the whole situation, but I don't see any way to invite only one half of a married couple to a co-ed game night. AITA?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not supervising my stepdaughters slumber party when my husband had to go into work for an emergency?

My stepdaughter (Sammy) was going to have a slumber party at our house with her friends this weekend. I didn’t want to be here while it was happening, so I made plans to be at my friends house that night. I was planning on going to my friends straight after work.

My husband called me towards the end of my work day. Something bad happened at work and he was going to be there for a while dealing with it. He asked if I could reschedule my plans with my friend so I could stay home and watch the girls because he’s probably not going to be able to get home until very late.

I told him I could reschedule to stay home and watch Sammy, but he would have to call the other girls parents and cancel the party because I couldn’t watch all of them.

Other than this we have a pretty good relationship , but its almost a week later and Sammy is still upset at me about it.my husband understands I wouldn’t have been comfortable with the responsibility, but still think I could have done it since it was a last minute emergency and Sammy and her friends had been looking forward to it for awhile.

Edit. I was told to add a few things by some people who commented.

First that the amount of kids at the sleepover would have around 9-10 and they’re I. The first grade.

Second that I have some pretty bad anxiety issues that I’m working through right now and that’s why I didn’t think I could be responsible for that many kids at once.

Third I didn’t just bail on my husband. I told him I wouldn’t be able to handle that many kids when he brought up the party weeks ago. He said it was fine for me not to be there because he still wanted to do the party.

Fourth I don’t hate kids. I love my stepdaughter and take care of her on a daily basis.

Fifth my husband didn’t get home until 2 am

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LadyPictureShow posted:

Formatting all OP's
Mi wife is pregnant but i want to divorce

Wow, almost skipped this one due to the text block.

But, yes OP, you definitely need to divorce your wife now so you can go play poker in Peru.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not supervising my stepdaughters slumber party when my husband had to go into work for an emergency?

Gonna have to lean towards yes.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Children can sense weakness like a shark detects blood in water so OP made the right choice. Those kids would have gone wild once they realized how out of depth their caretaker for the night was.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MarcusSA posted:

Gonna have to lean towards yes.

Nah.... if you aren't prepared to watch a group of crazed six year olds get hopped up on sugar and run around like maniacs, you should be clear about that. It sucks but it was safer for everyone.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not calling my partner my fiance, but starting to call him buddy, close friend, friend with benefits?

quote:

This is a question for both myself and my partner - are we the assholes?

My partner and I got engaged several months ago. When we just started dating in our early twenties, we referred to each other as boyfriends. Now that's we're over 30, we mostly switched to partners. We do still occasionally refer to each other as boyfriends, but despite being engaged, we have never called each other fiance.

For some reason, people from both his and my family as well as some friends go loving insane any time they hear us use anything that isn't "fiance". People have given us all sorts of reasons for why this is wrong: it's lying because we aren't just boyfriends, we're fiances, and that's a higher level; it's diminishing the importance of an engagement; it's diminishing the importance of marriage; we're diminishing and disrespecting each other. We have even been told by one person she doesn't view our engagement as serious because we refuse to use the term fiance, and she jokingly suggested that once we send out the invitations, she won't rsvp as attending until she hears us use the "correct" word. (Boy is she going to be surprised when she finds out we'll be inviting 23 people, none of which are her.)

The more people demand of us to use the word fiance, the less we want to do it. It's gotten so annoying, that we decided we'll go down a notch and start calling each other friend or lower. My friend, my dear colleague, buddy, room mate and so on. Finally, the straw that broke the camel's back was "friends with benefits". We were having lunch with our family at our place. I was telling a story about how I recently met someone who knows my partner, and when we realized we both knew him, I told her he's my partner. Then, my SIL and MIL made that annoyed sound, and my sister said HE. IS. NOT. YOUR. PARTNER. To which I said, oh yes, sorry, my long-term friend with benefits.

Our mothers and sisters were appalled (I don't know what they thought, that we were saving ourselves for marriage for 11 years?), my brother had a problem with me using that expression in front of his 2.5 year old son who can't even pronounce my name yet, let alone something like "friends with benefits", and the only person who enjoyed the joke was my father who snorted with laughter and made my mother even angrier. All the women in our family have reached the consensus that we're rear end in a top hat who are purposely trying to hurt them by making such "nasty jokes" and that it was high time to act like adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

quote:

diminishing the importance of an engagement; it's diminishing the importance of marriage
:lol::lol::lol:
Ah yes, the ol sanctity of marriage argument