Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

In Training posted:

Leroy having an orbital feels really out of place with the wing chun style and it's also insanely good for some reason

Yea, its dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

https://twitter.com/tk_Landon/status/1205498285789765635?s=20

This thread pretty much mirrors my feelings on Leroy, he's realllllll good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kazumi was sent to jail for lesser df1 crimes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's absolutely a marketing strat to get people to buy Leroy and the Legal Leroy is already done + will be patched before TWT 2020 starts. They're getting too smart

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah this is absolutely a page from the Moba book. Cool as hell character and I hope they get him to a more manageable state without gutting him

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Leroy is super wack and his release honestly leaves me really questioning namcos decision making. I'll get into that later but about Ganryu- He's strong but I think he's just solidly very good, I would say top 10-20 but nothing broken. The only overtuned things about him imo are his CH launch d4 and his RD. Jin used to be the only char in season 2 with a unseeable ch launching low and people rightfully complained about it and it got nerfed and now ganryu has one for no reason.

Ganryu is very fun to play and his throw game seems to be fair but also deep and fun.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Noob trying to learn Marduk: What's the deal with his tackle? Obviously it's one of his signature moves, but I'm a little confused by how to initiate into it. It comes out slower than his other grabs and seems super telegraphed. If you do it at close range out of VTS you basically have half a second of your dude running in place before he actually grabs on where you can get blown up. Where does it fit in the VTS mixup pantheon? Or is it more for outside use?

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Probably don't use it too much unless you sense the person isn't good at breaking it.

There is a sweet spot at the end of the tackle's run that makes it unbreakable. It has a different animation if you get this. You can try to get them with this after combos if you think they will techroll.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

Noob trying to learn Marduk: What's the deal with his tackle? Obviously it's one of his signature moves, but I'm a little confused by how to initiate into it. It comes out slower than his other grabs and seems super telegraphed. If you do it at close range out of VTS you basically have half a second of your dude running in place before he actually grabs on where you can get blown up. Where does it fit in the VTS mixup pantheon? Or is it more for outside use?

You cancel strings into it.
The goal is to trick the opponent into waiting and blocking. thinking that you will finish a string, which will cause them get hit by it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool, thanks.

Hit the VTSC ff+1+2 ender exactly twice during an hour of training mode practice on it. Good. (yes i know i should just learn to play and not worry about 10 more damage in a combo but sometimes i do these things)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

TMM is a dork but this is a very good video addressing how broken leroy is in a concise video. Worth a watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkoUJLRZm6k

Aside from how overtuned his toolkit is, it's just bad design in general. Nothing about it seems "wing chun" except for a few animations and the most broken parry in the game. He should've been a defensive character with good (not busted) parries. As it stand you can play him keepout, rushdown, defensive whatever because he has everything. His design is the same as jin "jack of all trades master of none" except Jin was never close to this busted and jins moveset is cohesive with his character design. Why is this old wingchun dude throwing out orbitals? I honestly don't understand how this left Bandai in this state. Even if we're to assume that hes powerful to sell DLC they made him far far too powerful and gave him a dumb incongruent moveset that will probably be around til the games done because they dont really like removing moves whole sale. Just really really bad decision making. The past three nights of playing have been some of the least fun I've had playing the game. I've got a winning rate against leroy but he's completely unfun to play against and at one point I literally played 6 different leroy players in a row. Never experienced this annoyance of getting tooled on because I didnt know the movelist or overwhelming character use when AK, Julia, Marduk, Zafina etc came out. It's unreal.

His free Cane RD is probably the dumbest poo poo out of all of it. It would be stupid if even gigas had a free RD, but attaching it to the most broken character is basically a joke. Oh and he somehow has a female hurtbox so a lot of combos you might be using will drop lol.

e- if you wanna see how dumb his parry is go into practice pick leroy and your main and do punishment training against your main with just leroys parry.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Seltzer posted:

Leroy is super wack and his release honestly leaves me really questioning namcos decision making.

it's pretty simple. namco is designing + balancing this game around what brings the most people & thus money to the game through buying it or watching it on a stream. cool & very busted dlc character = lots of money from people that like the character and people that want to win easily. season 3 that nerfs low tiers like bears/gigas/katarina and buffs kazuya/bryan because low level players don't like getting mashed out online by the first group but like watching pro players do fancy combos as the later group when they watch streams (this is why the only real low tier character to get huge buffs is lars, the king of flashy combos).

tekken 7 is a fun game but it's extremely obvious that harada and pals are taking advantage of the fact that tekken 7 is "the most popular japanese fighting game" instead of sf5 while they can

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 15, 2019

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Why did they have to make Leroy the Enemy?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I think saying that a character is busted for money is a very conspiracy theory way of looking at it considering there's been like a dozen not busted characters they added to the game first.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

CRISPYBABY posted:

I think saying that a character is busted for money is a very conspiracy theory way of looking at it considering there's been like a dozen not busted characters they added to the game first.

Yea it's unprecedentedly poor design for tekken 7. Also I said in my post it doesnt make sense because they couldve made him strong while still having an identity, as it stands he stole everyones best moves.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

He's the first new Tekken character (that isn't old returning character or a guest character) to be released in Tekken 7 as DLC.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Seltzer posted:

Leroy is super wack and his release honestly leaves me really questioning namcos decision making. I'll get into that later but about Ganryu- He's strong but I think he's just solidly very good, I would say top 10-20 but nothing broken. The only overtuned things about him imo are his CH launch d4 and his RD. Jin used to be the only char in season 2 with a unseeable ch launching low and people rightfully complained about it and it got nerfed and now ganryu has one for no reason.

Ganryu is very fun to play and his throw game seems to be fair but also deep and fun.

Bolded part isn't true. Geese still has his, and it's faster and high crushes. Lars has a high crushing unseeable CH low launcher also, probably a few more I'm forgetting about.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

He's the first new Tekken character (that isn't old returning character or a guest character) to be released in Tekken 7 as DLC.

If I narrow my criteria until n = 1 and the 1 happens to support my claim then I'm definitely right

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
My problem with Leroy is that being such an overpowered, composite character dilutes the coolness of his actual character. The former can be fixed, the latter won't, which is a real shame. It'd have been cool to have an actual Wing Chun character rather than one with a little Wing Chun spice but basically just another tekken character.

Like it feels like step one would have been to make his block punishment extremely weak but make up for it with his exceptional parry game that let's him punish things other characters can't and makes up for his bad block punishment. Instead he's just got everything.

It's crazy that he was introduced like this in the same patch as Ganryu, a character without 10f jabs. They're clearly willing to break the rules of what's an acceptable tekken character weakness in order to make a more interesting character to play. Why they took the easy way out with Leroy I'll never know.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 16, 2019

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
While waiting from a call from my boss for something on this snow/work from home day, I decided to pick up the Season 3 pass

While she probably won't replace Julia in my heart, Zafina... is actually really, really cool. She's like a Tekken analogue for Rose from Street Fighter, and I've always loved Rose.

And Leroy is buff as gently caress even from my newbie perspective holy hell

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Unpopular opinion: because launchers have started leading to every character getting 60 to 70 damage wall less, and a lot more at the wall, 10 to 13f punishes are not enough of a risk compared to launchers' rewards. I legit think tekken needs like a 15 percent combo damage nerf across the board. The game is way too snowball-y

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

CascadeBeta posted:

It's crazy that he was introduced like this in the same patch as Ganryu, a character without 10f jabs. They're clearly willing to break the rules of what's an acceptable tekken character weakness in order to make a more interesting character to play. Why they took the easy way out with Leroy I'll never know.

Ganryu is also EXTREMELY strong

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Spuckuk posted:

Ganryu is also EXTREMELY strong

Oh definitely, and I like him a lot, but he's a strong character with a unique tool kit that has to make do with less than other characters in certain situations, like his extremely short range and unsafe 10f punish vs the standard jabs. In return he makes up for it with having a stronger than average jab as a pressure/poke tool. He's super cool and I want more characters like him, mechanics wise.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwvoMwpmKBE

Brosnan posted:

If I narrow my criteria until n = 1 and the 1 happens to support my claim then I'm definitely right

This but unironically.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 16, 2019

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Mirror matching Marduk in the slums of extremely low ranked Tekken where neither of you can consistently break tackles no matter how telegraphed is uh, an experience.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Do you think anyone at namco stopped to wonder if it made sense for Leroy's orbital to leave you -3 on block while hei's 1,b2 leaves you at -2 and is one of the most oppressive tools in the game?

I don't

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ppl would love Leroy if he was completely, absolutely worthless.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Shut up you stupid bitch

Where's the middle finger emoji on this lovely forum

What on Leroy is actually steppable? I stepped 1+2 then the 1+2 followup tracked to me and I was like "cool"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Faffel posted:

Shut up you stupid bitch

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

E: Yoshi Df1 is more minus on block than Leroy's orbital lmao

Did they fire the team that made the game for the last few years or what

Faffel fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 17, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Faffel posted:

Shut up you stupid bitch

What on Leroy is actually steppable? I stepped 1+2 then the 1+2 followup tracked to me and I was like "cool"

....................../´¯/) ....................,/¯../ .................../..../ ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\ ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...') .........\.................'...../ ..........''...\.......... _.·´ ............\..............( ..............\.............\...

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Boomer emoji

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

https://i.imgur.com/2O7mB0z.mp4

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I am actually mad that I can't play the coolest char in tekken history without feeling like a bitchmade rear end buster. I really hope Leroy survives the nerfs but I don't think he will and the entire char will have been a waste of hype.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Fakhumram got me the most hype of the three and I think he will be a sleeper very fun and cool character

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 17, 2019

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Seltzer posted:

Fakhumram got me the most hype of the three and I think will be a sleeper very fun and cool character

He'd be cool if they didn't inexplicably sideline Bruce for it. I wasn't even a Tekken Player before 7 and my first thought was "why isn't this Bruce?"

But I guess Bruce isn't some dumbass anime character.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Faffel posted:

He'd be cool if they didn't inexplicably sideline Bruce for it. I wasn't even a Tekken Player before 7 and my first thought was "why isn't this Bruce?"

But I guess Bruce isn't some dumbass anime character.

Blame Josie for bruce getting axed. Fakhum will probably have amazing pokes with his reach and some sort of claudio esque power up which bruce didnt have and looks cool.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I guess he is cool anyway, but drat they did Bruce dirty.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Faffel posted:

Do you think anyone at namco stopped to wonder if it made sense for Leroy's orbital to leave you -3 on block while hei's 1,b2 leaves you at -2 and is one of the most oppressive tools in the game?

I don't

More of an issue is the fact that Leroy can d1, 2, 4 and get solid counterhit damage after his orbital is blocked!