Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This is a one-shot. Why is everyone assuming it's an event? It's not even being advertised as leading into things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Blockhouse posted:

This is a one-shot. Why is everyone assuming it's an event? It's not even being advertised to leading into things.
To be fair, the press release from Marvel reads:

quote:

This March, Marvel’s brightest heroes will defend their very right to save the world in OUTLAWED, an event one-shot that will kick off one of 2020’s biggest events!

and

quote:

With various stories spinning out of it throughout next year, OUTLAWED is just the epic beginning of a bold new era for Marvel’s most promising heroes!

and

quote:

“OUTLAWED introduces an ongoing status quo that will be reflected in books across the line—almost every active character who’s under 21 (and even a few who are older) will be affected by the decisions made in OUTLAWED, and they won’t all agree on whether the new world order is good or bad. But there are real, serious consequences now for those who go against the ruling passed down in OUTLAWED, and it’ll interfere with their lives in a way they’ve never experienced, leading to some really interesting stories.”

Now, this isn't to say it will be a 100-part tie-in to every book in the world, but it certainly sounds like it will lead into an "event"; the shape it takes is what we don't know.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

The 50 States Initiative started off as a project spearheaded by Henry Peter Gyrich (who was secretly working with a Nazi supervillain scientist to power up the recruits) and who also may or may not have been in the process of getting brainwashed by Hydra (or working for Hydra, unclear) to resurrect the Scourge program while he was overseeing the Initiative. Also one of the other main people behind the Initiative project was Hank Pym, who had been replaced by a Skrull.

During Secret Invasion it was revealed that Skrull-Pym had conspired to make sure there was a secret Skrull on the team stationed in each of the fifty states, and they commandeered all of their bases to build some sort of Negative Zone bomb.

Anyone who survived Secret Invasion, wasn't a Skrull, and didn't quit, was rolled over into the Thunderbolts Initiative under Norman Osborn's control, which not many heroes were that interested in. Then the Thor-Clone from Civil War got reactivated and busted up/killed pretty much everyone who was left, and Osborn shut it down as part of his plan to consolidate power.

So there wasn't much Initiative left by the time Osborn got taken down and the SHRA was repealed. It also was a weirdly corrupted/awful group behind the scenes for pretty much the entire time it existed.

Ah, I knew about most of that from wikipedia summaries I read years back but somehow missed the Negative Zone bomb.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

To be fair, the press release from Marvel reads:

and

and

Now, this isn't to say it will be a 100-part tie-in to every book in the world, but it certainly sounds like it will lead into an "event"; the shape it takes is what we don't know.

Yeah this one's on me I ctrl+f'd the linked article for "event" and didn't get any of this. I wasn't looking at the actual press release though.

I was thinking less "big crossover event book" and more like that last paragraph, a status quo that isn't specifically an event, like Dark Reign.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

drat I sure do love more Marvel events!

:shepicide:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For anybody else who read Mary Jane today, who's the winged girl flying with Peter?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Good thing all the x-kids are Krakoans and not subject to US law

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dawgstar posted:

For anybody else who read Mary Jane today, who's the winged girl flying with Peter?

I haven't read that, but from that description it's most likely Peter's spy sister. The other child of his spy parents.

Zdarsky reintroduced her recently and made it clear that she's actually his sister, rather than some weird manipulation trick. I forgot her name.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I haven't read that, but from that description it's most likely Peter's spy sister. The other child of his spy parents.

Zdarsky reintroduced her recently and made it clear that she's actually his sister, rather than some weird manipulation trick. I forgot her name.

Teresa Parker, she's from a Mark Waid OGN that wasn't referenced for a long while before Zdarsky brought her back and gave her more of a fleshed out story.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

X-O posted:

Teresa Parker, she's from a Mark Waid OGN that wasn't referenced for a long while before Zdarsky brought her back and gave her more of a fleshed out story.
She's also literally teaming up with Peter in ASM right now, which is a nice piece of continuity. AMJ continues to live up to its name.

Also, Spider-Verse was great. It's always nice to see more of Peni & her world. Was the Kraven/Sinister connection a nod to the Spider-Man/X-Men miniseries?

Also Captain Marvel was also magnificent. It's great to see Singularity back. :3:

And FNSM also ended today, it was a great little book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Beerdeer posted:

Good thing all the x-kids are Krakoans and not subject to US law

Put all the current teen heroes on Kate Pryde's boat. Her constantly being drunk and trying to tell the teenagers why they shouldn't drink would be great.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, Spider-Verse was great. It's always nice to see more of Peni & her world. Was the Kraven/Sinister connection a nod to the Spider-Man/X-Men miniseries?

Nah, I was trying to be cute- Nathan Essex/Mr. Sinister + Weapon Six= Sinister Six

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kraven is Weapon Six?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Al Ewing is unbelievably good. Immortal Hulk has shifted gears so effortlessly and feels so fresh these past few issue while still feeling like an inevitable extension of previous developments. He's a treasure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't read it yet, but his versatility is impressive. He can write creepy body horror Hulk while writing silly, but emotional Rocket Raccoon space heist.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
contest of champions, ultimates, rocket, immortal hulk, new avengers and usavengers are all different and all solid and those are just the ones i can remember offhand

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

contest of champions, ultimates, rocket, immortal hulk, new avengers and usavengers are all different and all solid and those are just the ones i can remember offhand

Loki too.

Give Ewing an X-Men book

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wasnt loki kibblesmith?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Ewing had a Loki series in 2013 or so. Kibblesmith is the new one, which I've heard nice things about but haven't read.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the downside of multiple runs with same title

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Technically Ewing's Loki series was Loki: Agent of Asgard, so there is that to help differentiate the two.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I should mention it's also really good! It felt very Paul Cornell-esque to me in a way that not much of his other stuff has.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh yeah, for some reason i was thinking that was gillen

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Props to Valkyrie for bringing back Cardiac, Faiza (who is always a treat) and freaking Manakin from Alpha Flight.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay can someone fill me in on who that is at the end of hulk?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

site posted:

okay can someone fill me in on who that is at the end of hulk?

Xemnu the Titan, aka Xemnu the Hulk! He was a pre-FF monster character who was billed as The Hulk on the cover of JiM #62. He's a space criminal with telepathy and assorted mind powers who shows up here and there-- he fought She-Hulk during John Byrne's run and iirc was a recurring Defenders problem. There's a fun arc where he takes over a childrens' television show to use his mind control powers over the airwaves.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ty

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hm, the last two issues of the Hulk havent quite been grabbing me. The corporate fuckery isnt quite up to par with cosmic horror stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Props to Valkyrie for bringing back Cardiac, Faiza (who is always a treat) and freaking Manakin from Alpha Flight.

Heck yeah, it was a delight to see Cardiac (as always) but Manakin was totally out of left field.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay so is it civil war 3 or secret empire 2 or both

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1205256354304278528

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anybody got 4 hours to spare?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5sXX76E91I

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

site posted:

Holy poo poo Cebulski and Brevoort have filthy mouths. Hysterical.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
thats...quite a lot

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1205601813308813312

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Geoff Johns chortles darkly.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Valkyre is good. Props for Jane's boss. Always great to see people who can make the most basic deductions.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 14, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Valkyre is good. Props for Jane's boss. Always great to see people who can make the most basic deductions.

Yeah, this was a great scene. I have really been surprised by how good this book has been.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I guess I shouldn't be shocked by Aaron and Ewing putting out a really solid comic, but... yeah, it's above and beyond.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

site posted:

Just remember all events after Secret Wars are Franklin's fault cause he rebooted the universe! :v:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Jiro posted:

Just remember all events after Secret Wars are Franklin's fault cause he rebooted the universe! :v:

I love this because it means at some point Franklin was running out of ideas and said "what if there was a world that was exactly like ours except in this one my cool uncle Peter got married?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Not to sidetrack anyone but am I the only the enjoying the Miles Morales series?