Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Tarnop posted:

George Monbiot can go gently caress himself. He was entirely complicit in the Guardian's relentless anti-Corbyn narrative, and is a reason we're in this poo poo.
I would have agreed with you a few years ago but his more recent writing (and I hate to use this phrase...tweeting) definitely come to the realisation that not only can capitalism not provide a solution to climate change, but that our own institutions are resistant to anyone trying to fight for such a solution.

No lib would write a thread that puts out actions like hes putting forward. I mean he doesn't even use the phrase "means testing", which is always a dead giveaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Tarnop posted:

George Monbiot can go gently caress himself. He was entirely complicit in the Guardian's relentless anti-Corbyn narrative, and is a reason we're in this poo poo.

Nah I'm pretty sure Monbiot has been pretty solid on a lot of stuff in the last few years including Corbyn, and anticapitalism.

Tarnop posted:

So he didn't call the left of the Labour party ‘a malign intellectual subculture’ of ‘apologists and genocide deniers’ ?

I think maybe he did in 2011 if that's what you're referring to.

Would he have been wrong with Labour as it was then?

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 14, 2019

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Okay I didn't think so at first, but on second thought I believe I agree this one was your Trump, after all. Not because of the surprise of it, but because of the reaction of your right-wing to it.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Tarnop posted:

So he didn't call the left of the Labour party ‘a malign intellectual subculture’ of ‘apologists and genocide deniers’ ?

he's also a huge fan of massive pro war cunts like katerji

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

he's also a huge fan of massive pro war cunts like katerji
lol okay that makes me question him. Imagine seeing Katerji as anything other than the clownish figure he clearly is.

minema
May 31, 2011
The independent candidate in Rutland that died after the ballots had been printed still got over 400 votes.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WhatEvil posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure Monbiot has been pretty solid on a lot of stuff in the last few years including Corbyn, and anticapitalism.

I think maybe he did in 2011 if that's what you're referring to.

Would he have been wrong with Labour as it was then?

Only as wrong as calling the party anti-Semitic because there's some anti-Semites among the 500k current members.

I might just be in an overly cynical and angry mood at the moment, but it feels like this article is just his attempt to launder the Guardian so they can be the voice of reconciliation in the Labour party. Which keeps him his seat on the gravy train while amplifying the voice of sensible centrists.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

minema posted:

The independent candidate in Rutland that died after the ballots had been printed still got over 400 votes.

Not wishing to appear insensitive to a family's loss or anything...
But I mean, I could see a corpse edging in popularity over Boris. Corpse even has a genuine reason to be in the fridge.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Is there really that much difference in the quality of The Guardian UK and The Guardian AU?

Or does The Guardian AU just seem better because it's only comparison in Oz is all Murdoch owned trash?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcelection/status/1205324369930674177
Depressing result aside, I’m having real trouble getting over ‘Glenville Gogerly, Libertarian’.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Apraxin posted:

I’m having real trouble getting over ‘Glenville Gogerly, Libertarian’.
It'll all make sense when you image search him

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Apraxin posted:

Depressing result aside, I’m having real trouble getting over ‘Glenville Gogerly, Libertarian’.

At least it's amusing seeing someone place lower than the Brexit Party?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Tarnop posted:

I might just be in an overly cynical and angry mood at the moment, but it feels like this article is just his attempt to launder the Guardian so they can be the voice of reconciliation in the Labour party. Which keeps him his seat on the gravy train while amplifying the voice of sensible centrists.

Eh it probably isn't malicious planning, Monbiot is legitimately quite stupid. There's nothing super wrong with that and he seems to have a good heart but his whole career has been over-reacting to stuff.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Zakutambah posted:

Is there really that much difference in the quality of The Guardian UK and The Guardian AU?

Or does The Guardian AU just seem better because it's only comparison in Oz is all Murdoch owned trash?

https://theguardian.fivefilters.org/antisemitism/

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

At least Jeremy Corbyn won't have to talk to Donald Trump, I thought to myself suddenly.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Chuka Umana posted:

The second referendum poo poo was dumb as hell and I'm not just saying in hindsight either. What would be different about a second go? It was plainly antidemocratic.

I mean, referendums seem easily manipulated to get the results the government want.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Hamelekim posted:

I mean, referendums seem easily manipulated to get the results the government want.

Well considering the EU referendum had wide cross-party support it's a little condescending to put it to the people and then take it back when they don't get the result they like. It's the same anti-democratic arrogance the EU has been responsible for in Greece and Spain and Ireland. Neolibs love democracy until it effects their profits.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Urgh... lovely. They were all on boarding banging that drum.

Looks like I've got my evening reading then!

Was there ever any speculation on what the point of this editorial hardon for the angle was? JC pissed them off somehow? Or someone that backed them?
I admit, I only really know of The Guardian since they started reporting in Australia; I only know a little of their history of being a print newspaper in the UK a good while before that.

Zakutambah fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 14, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://twitter.com/air_intel/status/1205558791422566400

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
That's looks like less than 200 people.

throwback to when protests had mass public and worker support

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
So much for the tolerant left!

*farts*

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I expect a lot of people might be too tired and unhappy right now to get out of their chairs for a spontaneous protest. We can't all be dynamic, but that doesn't mean we're not supporters.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Jollity Farm posted:

I expect a lot of people might be too tired and unhappy right now to get out of their chairs for a spontaneous protest. We can't all be dynamic, but that doesn't mean we're not supporters.

The government could be over tomorrow if you wanted it to be.

Maybe if Labour weren't such cowards about extra parliamentary action and organized the working class outside of the scope of electoralism we could have a decent protest movement in Britain.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

This is cool.

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1205636637482459137?s=20

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

thanks for the Washington examiner link

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I like “make them share” as a slogan. Possibly “make them pay”. Channels strong anger and hatred.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Celexi posted:

thanks for the Washington examiner link

In case you didn't realise, that may not have been a fully enthusiastic endorsement.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Apraxin posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcelection/status/1205324369930674177

I imagine that's the only time you'll ever see a Desi in the Brexit Party.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
It’s a shame that the Liberal Democrats are such spiteful, short-sighted bastards. If they had refused to split the Remain vote, Labour could have won considerably more seats and could have increased the possibility of a soft Brexit or second referendum. And what did the Lib Dems even get with their 11% of the vote? Not even 2% of the seats. What a loving waste.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Chuka Umana posted:

The government could be over tomorrow if you wanted it to be.

Maybe if Labour weren't such cowards about extra parliamentary action and organized the working class outside of the scope of electoralism we could have a decent protest movement in Britain.

Berating people for not being good enough at protesting is the exact opposite of helpful. People are allowed to be tired and to need time to plan things. If you're just here to make people feel worse for your own amusement, you can gently caress off. Nobody needs your help to feel bad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Put this up in the Idiots on Social Media thread:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

One particular promoter of the "Sanders is an antisemite" argument, is, well:

https://twitter.com/nberlat/status/1205679644856467457

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I am pulling an expression of incredible shock at this turn of events. Surprised they didn't put scare quotes around "Jewish" tbh.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

thespaceinvader posted:

This is literally a contradiction in terms. Good people don't become billionaires, because it's impossible to become a billionaire without exploiting people on a scale no good person would ever consider.

Hey guys have you seen the new Netflix Michael Bay vehicle 6underground? It has a billionaire who faked his own death so he could create his own hitsquad to go after a dictator in 'Turgmenistan' who gassed his own people. Hilarious how they spent the first 30 minutes of the movie driving around Italy killing innocent people and I thought it was supposed to be a copycat of Team America: World Police and then I realised dear god they were serious and there were fighter jets delivering freedom via bombs and then I cried a little and binge watched attack on titan.

Anyway, Face to Neoliberalism.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"im not owned! im not owned!" i continue to insist, as I slowly shrink and transform into yorkshire pudding

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If possible can anyone either record or find clips from your local news about people being interviewed about why they voted tory in the labour strongholds that flipped?

Theres been a run of 'the high street has been really run down for the last few years so I thought I'd give the tories a try' etc. Really local level issues under labour councils or MPs where they think its labour that has been causing these problems.

I'm making a project highlighting this but a lot of this stuff is on local news and radio and never makes it online.

Thanks

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Just been feeling kinda numb all day.

Playing boardgames with some friends tonight was definitely a good thing though.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

serious gaylord posted:

If possible can anyone either record or find clips from your local news about people being interviewed about why they voted tory in the labour strongholds that flipped?

Theres been a run of 'the high street has been really run down for the last few years so I thought I'd give the tories a try' etc. Really local level issues under labour councils or MPs where they think its labour that has been causing these problems.

I'm making a project highlighting this but a lot of this stuff is on local news and radio and never makes it online.

Thanks
Not sure if this counts as local news per se, but here's a focus group of self-declared 2017 Labour voters from a week before the election falling over themselves to declare their love of sweet, cuddly Boris:
https://twitter.com/GaryGibbonBlog/status/1201616036409180160

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

thespaceinvader posted:

No, it was specific deal and remain only. Which is the only Labour brexit policy that could ever have realistically got into any Labour manifesto, people are loving dreaming if they think a policy of left-brexit would have got through Conference, let alone that any putative Corbyn government could have got said deal through Parliament.

Yes I remember it happening, as everyone turned on Corbyns stance, Owen Jones, McDonnel, Abbot came out in public to support remaim, then the membership vote forced him into this position and everyone back then where convinced that remain was so obviously going to win and Jeremys brexit position could only but lose.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yes I remember it happening, as everyone turned on Corbyns stance, Owen Jones, McDonnel, Abbot came out in public to support remaim, then the membership vote forced him into this position and everyone back then where convinced that remain was so obviously going to win and Jeremys brexit position could only but lose.

At this point I don’t think either position could have one because of the increasing cultural divide between city and former heartland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Celexi posted:

well in the US "insurance" means you get ripped off whenever you need healthcare, the insurance is that you will keep giving the insurer money.
I think he could well be talking about old age social care here, rather than health care, which according to their manifesto is something "they were looking to deal with imminently" rather than have any concrete plans set up for it (because the house tax hosed May). Reality is that it needs a massive overhaul as it's not suffecient now, let alone with the upcoming demographic changes. But no, the answer to it is not "everyone pays for it privately, so if you don't earn a lot then you'll gonna be hosed".