Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i really respect compact standalone works in this day and age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
More aspiring webcomic authors need to start with a plan for a small, self-contained story in, like, less than 200 page. Instead of going on long sprawling epics of 2000+ pages.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think part of it is the unspoken fear that finishing your old popular webcomic for a new thing is a gamble, and if your audience jumps ship you have to go back to your awful retail job.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Unless I'm forgetting other instances, I think the term "dissuasion tactics" was actually from a Tumblr post where I argued allies who accidentally harm their own cause should be treated the same as opponents who intentionally do harm. I remember using the word "dissuasion tactics" instead of "opposition tactics" because I didn't want to make it sound like I was suggesting these bad-allies should be hurt, just that they should be viewed with distrust and gently reined in a little. I dunno, the whole thing was kind of dumb; if you want to see it I'll just link this really good counterpoint someone made.

I used to keep it close to the chest, but I think my OCD is kind of a terrifyingly open secret at this point? Like, the condition gets popularly stereotyped as problems with handwashing and door thresholds, but it often ties very strongly into someone's approach to right/wrong. A person with autism might not understand social situations, but a person with OCD can end up in the scary position where they know something will have social consequences, but have to do it anyway because they feel like it's the right thing to do. The best chance the afflicted person has at avoiding these sort of situations is to genuinely believe they are in the wrong, which is why I try to pay attention to what everyone is saying and - when taking a potentially controversial position - provide routes where people can contact me if I am unknowingly operating off inaccurate information. I just want to stress that, if you disagree with me, I am very easy to contact and will listen.

And yeah, I know, this itself is a case where I should let it drop. I'm sorry, I'm trying to rein it in. Mare Internum good.

e:

YggiDee posted:

I think part of it is the unspoken fear that finishing your old popular webcomic for a new thing is a gamble, and if your audience jumps ship you have to go back to your awful retail job.
I think most of them are just making the dumb comic they've planned since high school, and which has gradually spiraled into an epic in that time.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 14, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think the only comic I read that ended up on a good note was... Mac Hall? It was a very good comic about college to read while I was actually in college.

I think he's still doing Three Panel Soul which was ok but not my thing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PMush Perfect posted:

Kazerad was/is a hardcore GamerGater, and on many of his blog posts, referred to the targeted harrassment of female journalists as "dissuasion tactics".

oh

why is he in this thread now

go away, rear end in a top hat

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kazerad posted:

Unless I'm forgetting other instances, I think the term "dissuasion tactics" was actually from a Tumblr post where I argued allies who accidentally harm their own cause should be treated the same as opponents who intentionally do harm.

Funny, the exact same argument gets leveled at the same allies by opponents who wish to intentionally harm the cause...

I wonder what happens when you apply the logic from this argument to itself, then. :thunk:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like Three Panel Soul a lot, but it's really just a melange of stuff. There's autobiographical bits, one-off jokes, gaming humor, and just some weird stuff. Occasionally it's just some random art that Ian's done lately, or his wife does a comic. There has even been some nice coherent stories like with Jo and Handsome Bob, or Death.

Which I guess if you're putting out a webcomic without any bigger plans for the future, that's a better way to do it than having a serious dramatic story slowly take over and have to assemble a coherent plot out of what was once just random jokes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How long did it take you to set up that many links? :eyepop:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yeah sure, I participated in a sustained online hate campaign against women and minorities under the pretence of caring really hard about videogame reviews, but have you considered I was really bad at it???

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, y'know, you get lost down the archives and then you can't pick just one or two or five and then it's just a lot of ctrl+u and ctrl+v.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

YggiDee posted:

this is real and a thing

new comic's in the same style and universe as the old one, should keep all my old readers, right?

not even half

it's cool though I love donating plasma and pawning my switch

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

oh

why is he in this thread now

go away, rear end in a top hat

Speak his name and he shall appear... tis the prophecy

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think the only comic I read that ended up on a good note was... Mac Hall? It was a very good comic about college to read while I was actually in college.

I think he's still doing Three Panel Soul which was ok but not my thing.
[whispers] narbonic

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you get lucky maybe your new comic will appeal to an even wider audience that you can entertain much better with the skills you have gained from experience, but you always run the risk of your new passion project only appealing to you, which is not a problem unique to webcomics. You definitely risk all the readers who are only following out of habit rather than any real investment.

A lot of it's just marketing, which is always tough.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kazerad posted:

Man I don't think any webcomic artist should be regarded as the beacon of humanity's strengths and nobilities. The best I can say is that I try to listen to everyone I can, and outline my thought processes to the point where if I'm completely wrong, it's at least kind of clear how I got there.

You know, so observers can learn valuable lessons like "don't spend so long making a flash game that flash dies".

Update your loving comic, loser, and get on a schedule

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
dont make more cat fanfic date rape comic actually

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hostile V posted:

[whispers] narbonic

Digger.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kazerad posted:

where they know something will have social consequences, but have to do it anyway because they feel like it's the right thing to do
This isn't the defense of your behavior that you think it is.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hell yes. Hell loving yes.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this is real and a thing

new comic's in the same style and universe as the old one, should keep all my old readers, right?

not even half

jesus, that bad?

im sorry to hear that :(

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this is real and a thing

not even half

this is really disheartening and im sorry. its a hard field and i hope things pick up.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo the problem is ultimately that we live in a capitalist system that is already trying to crush every single one of us into paste, and also, doesnt value art beyond its potential for economic exploitation

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm hoping that the new one not being 1000+ pages makes it approachable for a newer, sexier audience, which might eventually fill in + exceed what I lost reader-wise but uh

yeah

switching comics is a spooky proposition

edit: selling your plasma is also loving spooky, in case you're curious

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
us blood exports are on par w corn and soybeans now iirc lmao

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm hoping that the new one not being 1000+ pages makes it approachable for a newer, sexier audience, which might eventually fill in + exceed what I lost reader-wise but uh

yeah

switching comics is a spooky proposition

edit: selling your plasma is also loving spooky, in case you're curious

joined your patreon, least i can do is kick some cash your way

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

fauna posted:

mare internum was a lovely piece of art

Mare Internum was great, but wow did the other webcomic's thread hate it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
today in never satisfied: hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Having quit one webcomic to focus on another (I did two webcomics simultaneously for several years) I know what you mean.

Although after several years my new comic finally managed to gain more attention than my other one did, but I think it's because I began marketing it more whenever possible.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

A big flaming stink posted:

joined your patreon, least i can do is kick some cash your way

holy poo poo, thank you

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

holy poo poo, thank you

np.

by the way, i notice you don't have a discord associated with your comics? i see alot of creators on patreon do that, and to be honest your comics are so DEEPEST LORE-heavy that i think your fans would appreciate the time to bounce off their stupid theories on each other.

nevermind, the discord was on the comic site itself and i cant read. there can still be value in associating your discord with your patreon, since that lets your patrons exercise their cash privilege over the plebs

e: other people in this topic, kick some cash this dude's way so he doesn't literally have to sell blood to survive https://www.patreon.com/matthewmorgan/overview

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 14, 2019

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

fun hater posted:

dont make more cat fanfic date rape comic actually

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

:hmmyes:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

jalapeno_dude posted:

(responding to this as if it was a sincere question) mostly it was the assumption that it's a natural and inevitable fact that your life trajectory will take you to a place where you have, and enjoy, your job, and the accompanying suffocating fog of white upper middle class male privilege

i know i'm deluding myself to think that Jeph is being sincere when he includes characters meant to scream diversity and inclusivity, but it's nice to pretend sometimes

except then the mask slips and we're back to the loving self-insert character who's so entitled that he can't even realize his own entitlement

I think you are coming at this from a place of extreme cynicism. Marten's supposed to be a guy in his thirties with a low paying steady job that he's more or less comfortable with. That's not an unattainable goal or like, uniquely attainable to the upper middle class. That's an extremely usual place to be in for many people at that stage in their lives. Suggesting that Jacques is insincere about diversity because his main character has a steady job doing admin work is a wild reach.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Digger is this magical sort of thing where it hits the landing well enough, that it's possible to think Ursula Vernon actually planned the story rather then inventing characters literally on the same page they're introduced.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Scary Go Round, 8-Bit Theater, Dr. McNinja, Adventurers, It's Walky, and Rice Boy all managed to end gracefully and then have the creator move on to make something better. I actually started checking Misfile again after finding out it was ending and I accidentally fell into the habit of reading the new comic.

Kid Radd, Digger, Bob and George, Tao of Geek, and Zebra Girl are the webcomics I know that managed to end gracefully and I don't know where the creator went off to afterwards, if anything. Simpler gag-a-day webcomics are often ended on the creator's terms, but those don't stand out as much because without some kind of plot, ending is just stopping, not a conclusion.

One of the first webcomics I followed had a bizarre tendency of ending, restarting, having a mostly-identical "sequel series" created and the old series wiped off the site, only for that to end eventually as well with the creator doing a lot of abortive side-projects sometimes with collaboration, and it turned out that whole pattern was probably related to the creator being an abuser and pedophile. It's probably good that most of it has been scourged from existence.

Edit: Scratch that, looks like Digger's creator is now a fairly successful children's book author. That's nice. I guess I'll consider her books for relatives.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ursula Vernon's also written adult novels, under the name T. Kingfisher. I don't think she does much painting any more but there's some absolutely insane poo poo in her Deviantart, and I think you can still buy prints.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I didn't plan to turn this into a charity drive, but god drat do I appreciate it

on the topic of poo poo not ending: ambition but no experience or support staff is a pretty common nerd barrier to completion. You can see this in a lot of webcomics, and you can see it in a metric poo poo ton of indie games that never finish; person has amazing, gigantic idea and it takes a year+ to realize it will take the rest of their life to finish what they have in their head, or alternatively, it takes them a year+ to realize they have more interesting ideas in their head but now they're strapped to this one

sitting down and saying "this is going to be finite, it is going to be brief" is a task because you want you to make THE NEXT BIG THING and it'll last a hundred years and people will talk about it forever. You don't want to make a lovely mobile game or some twelve page short story, you want to shift the paradigm baby but you're just one person who may have a short attention span at best or severe executive dysfunction issues at worst. That's not including how draining everything else is. I couldn't do what I do now back when I worked regular jobs, they took too much out of me, and I don't suspect that's rare. One of my old co-workers had been struggling to film a movie for almost a decade, but he often complained of an uncomfortably familiar situation: he was coming home too tired to work on his own poo poo. If you really try and put quality into something it becomes a second job, and nobody wants a second job that pays zero dollars.

the internet makes it real easy to get started but there's a hundred reasons it's real hard to keep going

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

YggiDee posted:

Ursula Vernon's also written adult novels, under the name T. Kingfisher. I don't think she does much painting any more but there's some absolutely insane poo poo in her Deviantart, and I think you can still buy prints.

Yes, was a bit surprised reading a random amazon book one day thinking "where have I read this writing style before". Didn't make the connection until I found out it was her from the afterword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

YggiDee posted:

there's some absolutely insane poo poo in her Deviantart, and I think you can still buy prints.

She's the one who drew "The Biting Pear of Salamanca", which became one of the early memes as the "lolwut pear".