Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
so far in my brett campaign the AI is acting a lot more aggressively. its great, the yactually sallied from a siege and attacked me a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Whenever I have an army that is more than, say, 4 types of units I start making GBS threads the bed in terms of effectiveness. I can tack on a few artillary in the back or something but if I have something like 2 or 3 units over 5 different types I can never get them to function well enough together to do anything.

Some factions this is no big deal but sometimes I feel like I need more and Istruggle to do anything.

The only time I've ever gotten a skaven army to work, for instance, is when I just mass artillary and storm vermin. If I try to run a few warpfire throwers, doom wheels, maybe some of the other cool weapon team rats I just don't have the micro/game knowledge to find the right match up for each troop.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

One of LegendofTotalwar's tips is to play to your advantages as a player vs the advantages of the AI. Having a few type of units (3-4) in an army makes micro much simpler and easier. Having a "dog's breakfast" type army of 12 different units is very hard to micro.

And for shooty skaven armies try 6 ratling gunners, 2 jezzails if you like those, some artillery, and misc rats of your preference.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eight jezzails, two ratling guns on the flanks, two warp lightning cannons, Ikit and a Warpstone engineer, sprinkle doomwheels and doomflayers to taste.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I dont know posted:

When she died, she made a deal Stromfels, God of storms, sharks, and drowning. That's why her plan is to first drown all the high elves and then sing to their reanimated bodies. She also has a permanently captive audience if they are her undead and eternally bound to her will. She is a wee bit evil and insane, you see.

See, I figured it was something like that, and most of her overarching narrative does feels that way, but then you do her personal quest, and it's all "Oh, I need to get to Ulthuan, I bet they are dying to see me!". Like she's oblivious to her situation.
Again, I feel this is a result of her character not being established as well as the others due to her being a CA OC, and so her narrative gets a bit mangled up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Agent355 posted:

Whenever I have an army that is more than, say, 4 types of units I start making GBS threads the bed in terms of effectiveness. I can tack on a few artillary in the back or something but if I have something like 2 or 3 units over 5 different types I can never get them to function well enough together to do anything.

Some factions this is no big deal but sometimes I feel like I need more and Istruggle to do anything.

The only time I've ever gotten a skaven army to work, for instance, is when I just mass artillary and storm vermin. If I try to run a few warpfire throwers, doom wheels, maybe some of the other cool weapon team rats I just don't have the micro/game knowledge to find the right match up for each troop.
I have the same problem so I try to focus on a gimmick. Gimmicks as Skaven are hecka fun.

Here is a link to an effortpost I did about a Skryre army: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835548&userid=138697&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post499246726
You can literally go 100% gunline and do well, you just need to be patient till you can build all of that stuff then be comfortable sitting still and shooting everything (some people find this boring; I love it). Each of my Skryre armies has:
  • 2x Warp Lightning Cannons
  • 3x Plagueclaws
  • 4x Jezzails
  • 4x Ratling Guns
You can win most battles with just that, your Warlock Master lord (always Warlock Masters, especially as Skryre), and a Warlock Engineer. I think with Ikit Claw himself I add two more Jezzails and some Warpfire Throwers, but that will change with the new Skaven units in this most recent DLC. Anything I have tried adding to that baseline above has been great.

Putting things in the same control group every battle also helps me - I always put the lord as 1, Warlock Engineer as 2, Doomflayers as 3, Warp Lightning Cannons as 4, Plagueclaws as 5, Jezzails as 6, and Ratlings as 7. This way if I suddenly need something to die and/or move I can select the group and click. It is a lot of units but in essence it is only three different unit types + lords: Artillery, Jezzails, and Ratlings. Most things are beat up by the time they get in range of the Ratlings so the Ratlings rarely require micro.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Broken Cog posted:

See, I figured it was something like that, and most of her overarching narrative does feels that way, but then you do her personal quest, and it's all "Oh, I need to get to Ulthuan, I bet they are dying to see me!". Like she's oblivious to her situation.
Again, I feel this is a result of her character not being established as well as the others due to her being a CA OC, and so her narrative gets a bit mangled up.

I would agree with that. As far as I remember, her being an prophet of Stromfel was only mentioned in short story released in the run-up to VC release, and not ingame itself.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Aranessa is there because one of the writers from Dreadfleet works at CA and it was a way to bring over a pet character.
I've always thought she would be interesting as a Norscan lord with access to some Empire powder units, but the Coast DLC came when it seemed like they'd never touch game 1 DLC again, so I guess that seemed like the last chance to put in pirate characters.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
I'm playing a Vampire Coast campaign for the first time and "a wheel to steer the ship with" is a tier 5 upgrade.

Is VSea just skaven in crab suits

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Aranessa having a mix of Norscan, Empire and Coast (mostly the monsters) units. Having some of the VC stuff like the Coves, treasure maps and pieces of eight, and having the same questline, but maybe with a twist at the end, would probably be my optimal way of implementing her, but that is probably way too much work for a single Lord.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Agent355 posted:

It can help if you use the AI General mod. A lot of the time after the lines clash I'll just let the it deal with all of my frontline infantry so that I can focus on everything else.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Cylostra is associated with the Vampire Coast because they, like she, are mostly (de)composed of the drowned dead. She's an insane ghost who simultaneously wants to kill and entertain elves, hence her music-based powers. She does this because ghosts are malevolent entities that often pursue a twisted version of what they wanted to accomplish in life. It's pretty much a straight arrow as far as concept goes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH9opyxYccU
Malus Dorkblade is a metaphor for puberty and he perpetuates the Old World's triangular trade by sending slaves to north america from the darklands.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Prop Wash posted:

Cylostra is associated with the Vampire Coast because they, like she, are mostly (de)composed of the drowned dead. She's an insane ghost who simultaneously wants to kill and entertain elves, hence her music-based powers. She does this because ghosts are malevolent entities that often pursue a twisted version of what they wanted to accomplish in life. It's pretty much a straight arrow as far as concept goes.

Issue is she is a malevolent ghost on the campaign map, then a crazy ghost in her personal quest.
It's a small thing, but it's jarring.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have the same problem so I try to focus on a gimmick. Gimmicks as Skaven are hecka fun.

Here is a link to an effortpost I did about a Skryre army: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835548&userid=138697&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post499246726
You can literally go 100% gunline and do well, you just need to be patient till you can build all of that stuff then be comfortable sitting still and shooting everything (some people find this boring; I love it). Each of my Skryre armies has:
  • 2x Warp Lightning Cannons
  • 3x Plagueclaws
  • 4x Jezzails
  • 4x Ratling Guns
You can win most battles with just that, your Warlock Master lord (always Warlock Masters, especially as Skryre), and a Warlock Engineer. I think with Ikit Claw himself I add two more Jezzails and some Warpfire Throwers, but that will change with the new Skaven units in this most recent DLC. Anything I have tried adding to that baseline above has been great.

Putting things in the same control group every battle also helps me - I always put the lord as 1, Warlock Engineer as 2, Doomflayers as 3, Warp Lightning Cannons as 4, Plagueclaws as 5, Jezzails as 6, and Ratlings as 7. This way if I suddenly need something to die and/or move I can select the group and click. It is a lot of units but in essence it is only three different unit types + lords: Artillery, Jezzails, and Ratlings. Most things are beat up by the time they get in range of the Ratlings so the Ratlings rarely require micro.

this might be a dumb question, but why ratling guns over warpfire throwers? I've always been split on this, is it the AP damage specifically?

I'm back into an Ikit ME campaign, though I've started it dozens of times before, I've never seen it through. The previous suggestions on how to do under-cities properly has spurred me back in.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scott Forstall posted:

this might be a dumb question, but why ratling guns over warpfire throwers? I've always been split on this, is it the AP damage specifically?

I'm back into an Ikit ME campaign, though I've started it dozens of times before, I've never seen it through. The previous suggestions on how to do under-cities properly has spurred me back in.

Ratling Guns have suppression, way better DPS and don't get all the weird LOS issues that warpfire throwers have. Plus you can get them infinite ammo as Skyre which is key to making an all range build actually work

Warpfire Throwers are pretty garbage as a unit

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Scott Forstall posted:

Ratling gunners have a range of 150 and you stack two warlock engineers with the range bonus can easily hit 180+ and if you get all the buffs for them will do 1000 damage.

Warpfire throwers are kinda like unarmored irondrakes.

Ratling gunners are a lawnmower that mulches all units in range.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Thanks. That all makes sense. I never got far enough to worry about how the bonuses stack, and the warp fire just looks cool (I acknowledge I am a dumbass) but gunners it is!

I bought W2, all it’s dlc and all the dlc I’d missed from W1 during the summer sale and have almost 800 hours in, and the more I learn the more I love it. I have 1000s of hours in the historical TWs but have no prior knowledge of the warhammer universe before this. It’s rather addicting.

I also just found out there’s a Warhammer miniatures store here in Brookline, MA so I will get over there sooner than later, even just for a few LL figures for my desk

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Scott Forstall posted:

I also just found out there’s a Warhammer miniatures store here in Brookline, MA so I will get over there sooner or later, even just for a few LL figures for my desk

The Warhammer Fantasy setting as portrayed in this game was destroyed by Games Workshop and replaced by Age of Sigmar. Many of the LLs from this game didn't survive the transition, and those who did may look very different than you expect. Just be aware of that

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Scott Forstall posted:

I also just found out there’s a Warhammer miniatures store here in Brookline, MA so I will get over there sooner than later, even just for a few LL figures for my desk

Heroin is a cheaper habit than tabletop Warhammer.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Lol, i have never noticed before that Dark Elf Sorceresses from the Dark school have a serious lisp, it's loving hilarious. "Thorthereth of Grond", "My power is yourth".

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

What is the purpose of a doomflayer when a doomwheel exists?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hungry posted:

Heroin is a cheaper habit than tabletop Warhammer.
And you'll meet more interesting people.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

Smaller and better for making the enemy blob around while not obstructing view so you can shoot the blob with your guns.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Kaza42 posted:

The Warhammer Fantasy setting as portrayed in this game was destroyed by Games Workshop and replaced by Age of Sigmar. Many of the LLs from this game didn't survive the transition, and those who did may look very different than you expect. Just be aware of that

A lot of the former LL models are still for sale, they have just been repurposed as generic AoS models. So for example, say you want Skarsnik and Gobba on your desk (who doesn't), they are still available. However, he is now called something like Loonboss with Squig.

Agent355 posted:

Doomflayers are better for sitting in combat sometimes, doomwheels pretty much always should be charging.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Ah good, buying every piece of DLC at once and now having a massively expanded game before even knowing how to play base is a great place to start.

How hard is this going to be to figure out with, say, the Tomb Kings? I like uh...mummies?

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 14, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

There's going to be a learning curve no matter what but tomb kings are pretty easy.

Normally raising/maintaining an army costs money and is your biggest limiting factor in how many armies/troops you can field at once.

Tomb kings say gently caress that, we only run slaves, everybody works for free. You instead are limited in number of armies (unlock more by researching) and number of a given unit in your entire force (unlock by building more military buildings).

E.G. if you build a skeleton shack you can recruit 2 skeletons total, into all of your armies, but you recruit them for free and don't have to pay each turn to keep them.

Early game it's all about archers and chariots.

Aside from that tomb kings are very standard. So it's probably a good starting faction because it simplifies alot of the army stuff and becomes more about throwing your dudes at the enemy in the right way to make the winning happen.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 14, 2019

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Anyone know if Arkhan got access to any other vamp units with the update?

I saw that Nagashizar monument but really seems like by the time you get it, 100 extra vamp units is kinda meh if just the same ghouls, bats, wolves, hexwraiths.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Squiggle posted:

Ah good, buying every piece of DLC at once and now having a massively expanded game before even knowing how to play base is a great place to start.

How hard is this going to be to figure out with, say, the Tomb Kings? I like uh...mummies?
Tomb Kings are actually a tough start for a new player on the campaign level. I'd say the best beginner factions are probably Lizardmen (besides Nakai and Tehenhauin) and Dwarfs. Your infantry are hard as rock and either your magic or economy (respectively) will help you a lot. There's also very little micromanagement.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Do ikit claw's mounts benefit from his workshop upgrades? Or only the ones that specifically specify 'characters on doomwheel mounts'

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

It's important to note that Stromfels is almost certainly just an aspect of the elven god Mathlann. Mathlann is a Cytharai, one of the elven underworld gods, who draws power from elves who die by drowning, so he's cut the deal to try to make sure more elves drown. There's a reason that among the high elves, only the sea guard worship him: he's treacherous and cruel.

OTOH the cult of the human god Manaan (who is obviously Mathlann, c'mon) really hate the cult of Stromfels.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Broken Cog posted:

I would assume this is some kind of play on words about wanting to get to Ulthuan and kill everyone?

I just think of her as the villain from Little Mermaid. She's really fun to play, at least.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

OTOH the cult of the human god Manaan (who is obviously Mathlann, c'mon) really hate the cult of Stromfels.

I actually really like that almost the entire human pantheon are just misinterpretations of elven gods that they've picked up over the years. All of them except like Ulric and Sigmar.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also Ulric is probably a heroic aspect of Khorne

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

There's a reason that among the high elves, only the sea guard worship him: he's treacherous and cruel.

So you are saying the Elf God is an Elf?

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Shumagorath posted:

Tomb Kings are actually a tough start for a new player on the campaign level. I'd say the best beginner factions are probably Lizardmen (besides Nakai and Tehenhauin) and Dwarfs. Your infantry are hard as rock and either your magic or economy (respectively) will help you a lot. There's also very little micromanagement.

Echoing this to say that Mazdamundi is probably the easiest start on the Vortex map. Saurus Warriors are dependable medium/heavy infantry that are easy to use and Mazda can bring a ton of powerful magic to the battlefield and become a melee beast when he gets his dino mount.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Agent355 posted:

Do ikit claw's mounts benefit from his workshop upgrades? Or only the ones that specifically specify 'characters on doomwheel mounts'

Ikit Claw himself gets the mount bonuses as well.

Of course, being a ratman scientist, sometimes there are unforseen side effects:

quote:

Ikit Claw and his thirteen lucky companions.

Further studies revealed that Ikit Claw had perfected his cloning technique on other Doomwheels as well.

Sadly he had failed to resolve kinks in the device's instant death-kill feature

I still don't know how I managed to get this bug.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Agent355 posted:

There's going to be a learning curve no matter what but tomb kings are pretty easy.
:words:

Shumagorath posted:

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Echoing this to say that Mazdamundi is probably the easiest start on the Vortex map. Saurus Warriors are dependable medium/heavy infantry that are easy to use and Mazda can bring a ton of powerful magic to the battlefield and become a melee beast when he gets his dino mount.

Thanks dorks! I do have Total War experience, but it's pretty surface-level with almost all of it in the RTW - TWM2 era. I'll give Lizardmen a try to get the hang of things, then jump over to Mister Mummy Manager. This is good - Mazdamundi looks like a fat happy baby, so I'm getting a pret-ty good vibe out of him.

Should I just dogpile with Saurus Warriors, or do Skinks get to play too?

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 14, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ez mode is just relying on saurus warriors and then grabbing some micro requiring unit like some cold ones or terradons or something. Lower tier non-saurus aren't super great IME but saurus warriors themselves are big beefy bastards who will beat most other frontliners in a fair fight, so you don't need to do a ton of work with your support units and can just try and fly some terradons around and harass their archers or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For a faction that is supposed to be about straightforward massed charges of infantry greenskins can be pretty micro intensive given their lack of reliably shielded units. You can run full Blorc armies but they're slow, while Big 'Uns are not a direct upgrade to Boyz since they get shredded by arrows. Then you have half a dozen gobbo infantry units that all fill different roles and you can end up with a mess of units all needing to hit their targets at just the right time as Waaagh spells and abilities are going off.

And this is all before you factor in artillery monsters and cavalry.