Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BadSamaritan posted:

I was contacted by a recruiter for a job, and while it’s pretty tempting the idea of not being able to go on autopilot at work right now is more than a little terrifying. I’m not sure how capable I am of learning any challenging material right now...

I worked three late nights in a row this past week. Worked til midnight ... got into bed near 12:45 am... was up all night with diarrhea baby... then up at 5:30am to get my 5 year old ready for kindergarten. By yesterday afternoon I was trying to have a creative meeting and was just so braindead I was slurring my speech. I forced myself to just get some rest last night because I think I was teetering on my body just falling apart like a cartoon character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
We had to put down our 14 year old malamute this morning. We didn’t think he would make it to see our baby, but he did, and it was only in the last few months she started to notice and try to interact with him. She got a major case of the giggles every time he would bark, and reached for him when he walked by. Today sucks.

Eventually we will get another dog, but not until kid #2, who we won’t be trying for until next summer, is older and understands to be gentle.

Have any of you adopted a shelter dog with little kids? How did it go for you?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

My son has picked up a new show obsession, and I think if I have to hear the theme song to Sonic X one more time I may go entirely off the deep end.

For ours it's Sesame Street, and since we've watched every episode we have like a billion times each, I tried recording Pinky Dinky Doo. It's a nice break from Sesame Street but now I'm tired of it too. So we have Brave, Frozen and Ferdinand also, and I'm sick of that poo poo too.

Sucks because we really are limiting his screen time when he's at home, but my wife is always making "exceptions" for arbitrary reasons, and we can't find anything else animated that we can stand to watch.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Depending on the age of your kiddo, disney+ has a ton of options, including but not limited to duck tales and dark wing duck

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man I thought Disney+ was going to be a hit with my 5 year old daughter but she gives two shits about it. I think she watched Cinderella once and went back to watching Netflix animation shows exclusively. She LOVES all the weird poo poo you can find on Netflix. She's a big Disney Princess fan but doesn't obsess over the actual movies like Pinky Malinky, Captain Underpants, HIlda, True, Glitter Force, Cupcake & Dino, Arhicbald's Next Big Thing, The Haunted House and a bunch of others.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Disney+ is basically just a Frozen and PJ Masks pipeline in my house. Netflix and PBS Kids are where she branches out. I'm so happy Frozen 2 will be out of theatres soon but she just realized Star Wars would be replacing it. My wallet is sick of this mickey mouse beat down. Leave me alone, you have so much of my money already.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1up posted:

Disney+ is basically just a Frozen and PJ Masks pipeline in my house. Netflix and PBS Kids are where she branches out. I'm so happy Frozen 2 will be out of theatres soon but she just realized Star Wars would be replacing it. My wallet is sick of this mickey mouse beat down. Leave me alone, you have so much of my money already.

Like, my child loved Frozen 2 and she always wants to dress as Elsa... but other than watching each Frozen precisely one single time. She will not go back and re-watch them despite re-watching every other show on Netflix 100 times over. Kids are weird.

Also gently caress the amount of poo poo that goes on during the holidays. We have like 6 holiday events coming up in a 4 day span. I cut out alcohol for a year but drat all I want right now is a beer.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Like, my child loved Frozen 2 and she always wants to dress as Elsa... but other than watching each Frozen precisely one single time. She will not go back and re-watch them despite re-watching every other show on Netflix 100 times over. Kids are weird.

Also gently caress the amount of poo poo that goes on during the holidays. We have like 6 holiday events coming up in a 4 day span. I cut out alcohol for a year but drat all I want right now is a beer.

In my experience, the movies are a lot more intense for little kids than an easy TV show is, and way more of an investment. My 5 year old definitely likes movies, but as a family event where we are all together and can process together, interact, etc.. When on her own, she wants simple, fast, and easy to digest.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

PBS kids is cool because there are so many options and they vary in length. You can do a Daniel Tiger or Nali of Denali or Cat in the Hat or Clifford, all of which are longer, and then do some short Plum Landings to finish off. Works well with the constantly negotiating three year old.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Molly of Denali

Also, the correct pronunciation of Denali rhymes with Molly

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
So #4 kid is 20 months old now. Four months out from the two-year checkup. One thing they look at is language development; officially they expect a fresh two-year-old to be able to string together two words into a simple sentence.

So at bedtime I still sometimes have to put her in a baby carrier and carry her around a bit to make her go to sleep, because she's a little lunatic. So that happened again the other day. And while she was waiting for me to come back with the carrier she said "Daddy come for carry me."

I don't think we have to worry about the language development with this one, either.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ugggggh. I got a "Heads up. Gastroenteritis has been going around the school" letter yesterday. I'm putting my faith in the kid being on the ball with hand washing, and whatnot, and his usually Turbo Powered immune system (he hardly ever gets sick beyond allergies), because noooooooo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Ugggggh. I got a "Heads up. Gastroenteritis has been going around the school" letter yesterday. I'm putting my faith in the kid being on the ball with hand washing, and whatnot, and his usually Turbo Powered immune system (he hardly ever gets sick beyond allergies), because noooooooo.

That's a tough one. Our 5 month old's room had the Bronchitis and Hand, Foot & Mouth sign up yesterday.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

BonoMan posted:

That's a tough one. Our 5 month old's room had the Bronchitis and Hand, Foot & Mouth sign up yesterday.

Ooof, good luck to you. We luckily managed to dodge the HFM at our new daycare (we moved), so that makes us 0/2. But the toddler rooms have been wiped out, and they've been combining the survivors together for the last few days since so many kids are still out sick. Like, it's so creepy when I bring him in and the usual 8am crowd isn't there and he's literally the only kid. At least he gets one-on-one time with the caregiver since drop-offs have become so hard for him.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
HFM was going around our daycare two weeks ago too. We missed it, but my kid got bronchiolitis and an ear infection instead. She’s still wet coughing. :(

In more positive news her first solids (avocado) were a hit up until she got exhausted and fussy. She had been trying to grab the spoon out of my hand and shove it in her own mouth before she started wriggling and crying. We’re going to try again tonight. Very excited to see how she likes different foods.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Introducing solids is fun. We’ve gotten through all the high allergen foods with our 7 mo old with no reactions so that’s a huge relief. She’s also a big fan of cooked onions and garlic, so that makes things way easier when I’m making food for us, to set some of the cooked but not seasoned yet stuff for her.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

The Fool posted:

Molly of Denali

I feel like PBS has Pavlov'd me because I read this in the exact cadence they use in the intro song.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Koivunen posted:

Introducing solids is fun. We’ve gotten through all the high allergen foods with our 7 mo old with no reactions so that’s a huge relief. She’s also a big fan of cooked onions and garlic, so that makes things way easier when I’m making food for us, to set some of the cooked but not seasoned yet stuff for her.

That must be a relief! Peanut butter and yogurt are on the list of upcoming foods we are going to try, although the doctor recommended trying one food for three days before moving on. I’m a little nervous even though as far as I know, no one in either of our families has food allergies.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah food allergies are no fun. Our 5 year old had some skin/eczema issues (nothing severe) when she was younger than 1 and she ended up developing milk, peanut and egg allergies. And then loving THANKFULLY outgrew them 2 or so years later. The peanut and egg ones we were super thankful for. We took her to an allergist at 8 months where she was tested for all of them. Once deemed allergic we tested every 6 months. Then at 3 or so we did a blood test (as opposed to the skin prick test) and determined the reaction was lessening. Then a few months later we did the oral test in the docs office where she ate a ton of peanuts one time and eggs the other. Thankfully she's stayed allergy free because just those brief years of worry and epi pens loving sucked.

Oh now the 5 month old is showing eczema/hives issues so I'm sure we'll go through it all again.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
How much time are other babies spending at home because they’re too sick for daycare? I’m in a nanny share and he’s been averaging 1 day a week since he started at 6 months (he’s 10 months now). In reality it’s more like 2 days every other week, which makes it really hard to rearrange work schedules. Is this just normal?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

in_cahoots posted:

How much time are other babies spending at home because they’re too sick for daycare? I’m in a nanny share and he’s been averaging 1 day a week since he started at 6 months (he’s 10 months now). In reality it’s more like 2 days every other week, which makes it really hard to rearrange work schedules. Is this just normal?

I think it's normal, but usually short-term, once their immune system catches up. At least, in my experience.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Man, helping my 3.5 year old figure out how to blow his nose loving sucks.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

in_cahoots posted:

Over the course of this year, I have had 35 days absent, almost 6 weeks off. It’s pretty normal.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

in_cahoots posted:

What's "too sick?" Like, keep them home just in case, or full on fever, vomiting, obvious communicable diseases daycares usually require you to keep home for? My kid was that age this time last year, and constantly had mild colds (runny nose mild, not hacking cough bad) and ear infections, but we'd only keep him home if he actually spiked a fever or 24 hours after starting antibiotics. That was once a month or so. If you're being more cautious, then every 2 weeks sounds about right.

It's also just crap luck that they start getting germ exposure via outside care at this vulnerable age at the height of cold season.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

2DEG posted:

What's "too sick?" Like, keep them home just in case, or full on fever, vomiting, obvious communicable diseases daycares usually require you to keep home for? My kid was that age this time last year, and constantly had mild colds (runny nose mild, not hacking cough bad) and ear infections, but we'd only keep him home if he actually spiked a fever or 24 hours after starting antibiotics. That was once a month or so. If you're being more cautious, then every 2 weeks sounds about right.

It's also just crap luck that they start getting germ exposure via outside care at this vulnerable age at the height of cold season.

Wait a second...parent of a one year old-we don’t do daycare but my wife uses the child-watch when she goes to the Y, usually four days a week.

Are you saying my kid is going to on average have a fever and get sick once a month? Holy gently caress it seemed like he was just sick for a month straight recently. :rip:

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

nwin posted:

Wait a second...parent of a one year old-we don’t do daycare but my wife uses the child-watch when she goes to the Y, usually four days a week.

Are you saying my kid is going to on average have a fever and get sick once a month? Holy gently caress it seemed like he was just sick for a month straight recently. :rip:

And if you're really lucky, the disease fairy will bring you double bacterial conjunctivitis, where you have to gently unglue your kids eyelids apart when the lashes fill with dried snot.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

2DEG posted:

And if you're really lucky, the disease fairy will bring you double bacterial conjunctivitis, where you have to gently unglue your kids eyelids apart when the lashes fill with dried snot.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

He was sick for a month, gave us 4-5 days of solid sleep, then viral diarrhea for 3 days, and today he has a fever and seems to be teething.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

2DEG posted:

He rarely gets a fever, but he refuses to eat (today he had 6 oz between 9am and 3pm) and is just miserable unless he’s being held 24/7. Over the course of three months he’s lost a pound (18lb down to 17), gotten RSV (requiring 15 minutes with a nebulizer every 4 hours round the clock), an ear infection, and conjunctivitis. Our doctor says all this is normal but my mom swears I was never this sick. I never got chicken pox or flu as a kid and rarely missed a day of school so maybe she’s right.

He’s only had a fever maybe once or twice from all of this, normally we just get a call from the nanny or the nanny share family saying he’s miserable and can’t be soothed. If I bring him home he’ll just nurse and sleep on my boob all day. Keeping him at the nanny share just seems cruel but at the same time I do have a job.

in_cahoots fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 14, 2019

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Fool posted:

Molly of Denali

I legitimately love Molly of Denali. I think I'm that dad in the Onion article. I also kinda like Let's Go Luna.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

I legitimately love Molly of Denali. I think I'm that dad in the Onion article. I also kinda like Let's Go Luna.

Molly of Denali is quite good, when it first started airing it made a bit of a splash up here because they hired a bunch of indigenous voice actors, a number of them local.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Fool posted:

Molly of Denali is quite good, when it first started airing it made a bit of a splash up here because they hired a bunch of indigenous voice actors, a number of them local.

Yeah it feels very authentic and my 6 y.o is really interested in indigenous culture now. I want to find a good book of stories or something so her exposure isn't exclusively through screen time.

Speaking of screen time, I'm.happy to say that her taste for unboxing videos seems to have waned! No more Cookie Swirl C for this guy. Now she only wants to watch Brave Wilderness, which is kind of hosed up but doesn't result in as many toy aisle tantrums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjHb5QmDV0

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Both my kids have RSV! Three year old is doing well enough, though his gave him an ear infection.

The one year old though is in pretty sorry shape. 103 fever. Skipping feedings like crazy. Just now weve been trying to put him to bed but he wont breastfeed. Did just eat a cup of apple sauce though. Getting a bit worried about fluid intake. Ugh.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can sympathize. Our youngest (now 14 months) got RSV when he was like 6 weeks old. Got discharged on Thanksgiving! Pretty scary at that age.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

in_cahoots posted:

He rarely gets a fever, but he refuses to eat (today he had 6 oz between 9am and 3pm) and is just miserable unless he’s being held 24/7. Over the course of three months he’s lost a pound (18lb down to 17), gotten RSV (requiring 15 minutes with a nebulizer every 4 hours round the clock), an ear infection, and conjunctivitis. Our doctor says all this is normal but my mom swears I was never this sick. I never got chicken pox or flu as a kid and rarely missed a day of school so maybe she’s right.

He’s only had a fever maybe once or twice from all of this, normally we just get a call from the nanny or the nanny share family saying he’s miserable and can’t be soothed. If I bring him home he’ll just nurse and sleep on my boob all day. Keeping him at the nanny share just seems cruel but at the same time I do have a job.

Poor lamb :( Sounds like he's had a rough time. It's just the season for this stuff, there's really no easy way around it. Being there for him is definitely the right call, I just wish we didn't have to do the mental stick leave math every time in this hosed up system.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

Man, helping my 3.5 year old figure out how to blow his nose loving sucks.

We made a game out of it where he tried to blow a hole in the tissue. Obviously you sort of cheat and made a small tear, but the first time he did it legit he was so proud!

Douche4Sale fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 14, 2019

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Douche4Sale posted:

We made a game out of it where he tried to follow a hole in the tissue. Obviously you sort of cheat and made a small tear, but the first time he did it legit he was so proud!

I'm confused here - is "follow" supposed to be "blow"?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

hooah posted:

I'm confused here - is "follow" supposed to be "blow"?

Sorry, yeah blow, not follow. Darn phone posting. Same thing happened with my whole Nali of Denali mix up with Molly. Or maybe doing most of a week of single parent duty with the three and one year old has broken my brain.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Both my kids have RSV! Three year old is doing well enough, though his gave him an ear infection.

The one year old though is in pretty sorry shape. 103 fever. Skipping feedings like crazy. Just now weve been trying to put him to bed but he wont breastfeed. Did just eat a cup of apple sauce though. Getting a bit worried about fluid intake. Ugh.

Lol now we’ve been trying to get him to fall asleep for three hours. I just want to die.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

As long as they are seeing other kids regularly yes, more or less. I was actually told one cold every two weeks should be expected until about two years of age. Ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Lol now we’ve been trying to get him to fall asleep for three hours. I just want to die.

This RSV thing officially blows rear end. Poor little guy just refuses to nurse and has hardly eaten all day. I finally got some super thin oatmeal down so that he got some liquids. He perks up and will play happily once motrin kicks in, but I am starting to worry about dehydration.

Anyone have a feel for how many days his fever should last? Every thing i try to check online just says overall 2 weeks but obviously it is going to peak and ebb before then.