Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Finally, some hot BBC action.

Don't google that BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

colonelwest posted:

In ED, when you dock at a station you just sit in a cockpit and go into an easy to use menu to buy/sell/repair/take on new missions. Why would anyone want to get out and have to walk around a space shopping mall every time they competed a mission? Sure its “immersive” the first few times, but after that you just want to get poo poo done quickly and go back to having fun, because it’s a video game and it’s escapism. Real life drudgery is something we live everyday, no one except for a few tedious game dads who live in subterranean sim-pits want to play it in video game form.

Supposedly it’s all alien shooting and such. So I guess you get out of your ship to shoot aliens. (Better than doing it via a menu)

But that’s not the important bit. The important bit is whether it mainly works, including the doors. While SC remains a jumble of parts for 2020, or launches as a tier 0 TV series or whatever. Because it’d be funny.

(And doubly funny if they have VR support)

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Well... does anyone know if the '500 person' studio is 500 actual people, or 500 positions? They could do a lot of scaling back just be eliminating their wanted ads atm ;p

They could reduce their total head to 50 and their output would be the same.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

The BBC Click webpage no longer lists the Star Citizen episode

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006m9ry/broadcasts/upcoming

:tinfoil:

False alarm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/n13xtmd5/broadcasts/upcoming

BBC World News, not BBC News.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

colonelwest posted:

In ED, when you dock at a station you just sit in a cockpit and go into an easy to use menu to buy/sell/repair/take on new missions. Why would anyone want to get out and have to walk around a space shopping mall every time they competed a mission? Sure its “immersive” the first few times, but after that you just want to get poo poo done quickly and go back to having fun, because it’s a video game and it’s escapism. Real life drudgery is something we live everyday, no one except for a few tedious game dads who live in subterranean sim-pits want to play it in video game form.

I dunno, No Man's Sky does have walkable stations and you have to go to vendors to get and complete missions, but it's still fun. Everything is in a convinient room and you can still use your jetpack so it's fast. Plus you get to see other aliens and meet other npc travelers. And in the last update they added a second, multiplayer only station, where you can meet other players. And there are the Freighters, which are these big rear end ships you can customize to your fitting and decorate, while also serving as a management hub for your fleet. And you can land on every ship on your fleet and walk around them, but unless they are damaged, there's nothing to there, and when they are its kinda tideous to have to fix them one by one. So that last one is kinda eh, but overall I think that NMS does the whole "explore the galaxy as a pilot" very right. It does feel like you're a guy on an adventure in the unknown, that was there since day 1 and the game just kept improving.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man I know I keep saying this whenever it gets brought up, but I wish I liked Warframe :( all the stuff they're adding is so cool but I just don't find the game fun at all.

:same:

I tried to play it once, but I hated the look of it and couldn't get into it at all. Felt like I was vaguely controlling a ridiculous shiney twirling dragon dildo that never stops with the stupid over-stylized special olympic somersaults fending off waves of other dragon dildos for reasons that were as vague, longwinded, and as senseless as the games backstory, nothing made any sense and it all seemed to be overly complicated for the sake of being overly complicated. Found the whole thing completely stupid tbh. :shrug: The devs of that game must have to consume nothing but LSD and methamphetamine all day and night constantly while having the strangest of anime injected into their parts, as I'm sure I would need to in order to play it with any level of enthusiasm or understanding.

I'd be terrible as a games reviewer. :)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So that 4chan post of "well we don't have another game that does the space adventure thing" is kinda wrong. I do get you'd like to explore the ship you're flying, but that is literally the only thing they want that NMS doesn't do. Plus that would get boring real quick and would never be used by the majority of the players.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Weird, all the links did change. Ah well.

The time listed there is your browser's local time, not UK time, right? So it airs in about 4 and a half hours?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Kikas posted:

So that 4chan post of "well we don't have another game that does the space adventure thing" is kinda wrong. I do get you'd like to explore the ship you're flying, but that is literally the only thing they want that NMS doesn't do. Plus that would get boring real quick and would never be used by the majority of the players.

The whole chunk of reasoning is broken to its core. "This is the only game that does X therefore we must support it."

- It doesn't do X. It says it will do X, and that isn't the same thing.
- If it's the only game claiming to do X, but due to sheer incompetence, can't, then you should be angry, not supportive.
- If you want X so badly then ask other game developers to make it, stop trusting the idiots at CIG.

You were lied to by Chris Roberts, he can't do what he said he can do, so the correct response is to hold him accountable. That is the only path to getting their poo poo-tier "dream game." It's also the only path they won't take.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Weird, all the links did change. Ah well.

The time listed there is your browser's local time, not UK time, right? So it airs in about 4 and a half hours?

Yup, 4.5 hours then it goes out for viewing.

It'll be fun of sorts comparing it to the original 'Click' that was done at $100m, might be time to get the bingo card out again. :)

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

- It doesn't do X. It says it will do X
Yeah, describing everything promised in the present tense is an odd tic in citizen writing. It's kind of a giveaway on the thought processes involved

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dogeh posted:

Is this the version that was refactored by George Lucas after he refactored it, despite months of refactoring?

THERE ARE THREE STAR WARS MOVIES!!! *in Cpt. Picard voice

And I like them non-refactored, thank you

Hav posted:

Where does Captain Spock figure into this?

No idea, I started watching Star Trek with TNG, and only know him from the two TNG episodes, which are pretty dope though

tuo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 13, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sabreseven posted:

:same:

I tried to play it once, but I hated the look of it and couldn't get into it at all. Felt like I was vaguely controlling a ridiculous shiney twirling dragon dildo that never stops with the stupid over-stylized special olympic somersaults fending off waves of other dragon dildos for reasons that were as vague, longwinded, and as senseless as the games backstory, nothing made any sense and it all seemed to be overly complicated for the sake of being overly complicated. Found the whole thing completely stupid tbh. :shrug: The devs of that game must have to consume nothing but LSD and methamphetamine all day and night constantly while having the strangest of anime injected into their parts, as I'm sure I would need to in order to play it with any level of enthusiasm or understanding.

Honestly I was actually really on board with the base gameplay and the art style, it was the grind and the absurdly bad balance that was offputting to me. It's nearly impossible to find content you aren't overleveled or underleveled for, meaning everything is either a cakewalk for you or a cakewalk for the matchmaking randos that are carrying you. The best way to grind out experience is on the same few missions that get really tedious. And the core conceit of how you progress - leveling up gear - means you are forced by the game to NOT use the frames and weapons you like and enjoy playing the most.

That and all the overlapping gameplay systems and features added on over the years makes it very, very convoluted. I can see being into it if you've played it for years, but for someone new it's a hard game to recommend.

Oh, that and the "daily/weekly grind" style of gameplay where you're missing out on the best rewards if you don't play the game for a few hours daily really turns me off. It killed both Destiny and this for me - I feel so compelled to do it that it consumes my brain, even if I'm not really finding it fun.

Sabreseven posted:

Yup, 4.5 hours then it goes out for viewing.

It'll be fun of sorts comparing it to the original 'Click' that was done at $100m, might be time to get the bingo card out again. :)

I'm assuming it's region locked, so anyone who can see it, let us know how it is. I'm not expecting much, but I'm curious.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 13, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

I hope they continue to support it. I feel like they did a good job with open world stuff, expanding on a pretty weak early release. But with Warframe there's always a 50/50 chance that they will lose interest in a system once it's released and it will just stagnate forever

It's the problem with F2P game development: profit lies with chasing the NEXT THING NOW NOW and not supporting established features.

Still, though! Steve said this was his dream so I bet they won't just quit, and they are promising it will tie in with The New War, which is not something they'll just drop.

Sabreseven posted:

I'll admit the new player experience is pretty rear end and DE is working on it. They showed off the new cinematic that will come with the NPE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9JHdZK21kc and the story takes a while to get good, which can be a turn off.

But I can understand why that's not your bag, cause tbh the reasons you listed are why I love the game.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 13, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Kikas posted:

I dunno, No Man's Sky does have walkable stations and you have to go to vendors to get and complete missions, but it's still fun. Everything is in a convinient room and you can still use your jetpack so it's fast. Plus you get to see other aliens and meet other npc travelers. And in the last update they added a second, multiplayer only station, where you can meet other players. And there are the Freighters, which are these big rear end ships you can customize to your fitting and decorate, while also serving as a management hub for your fleet. And you can land on every ship on your fleet and walk around them, but unless they are damaged, there's nothing to there, and when they are its kinda tideous to have to fix them one by one. So that last one is kinda eh, but overall I think that NMS does the whole "explore the galaxy as a pilot" very right. It does feel like you're a guy on an adventure in the unknown, that was there since day 1 and the game just kept improving.

Oh yeah, I’m not saying space legs are universally bad. I’m just saying that it doesn’t add anything in and of itself, and in Star Citizen it just ties into Chris’s autistic vision of endless tedium.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Star Citizen: So yes, we're hosed

If BBC Click don’t ask specifically about Squadron 42, they suck.

If they do ask and Chris uses it as an opportunity to break the news officially that Squadron 42 is once again being postponed, then he sucks. Even worse than before.

While I don’t expect punches thrown, that they’re even returning to the subject, and probably with a more jaundiced eye, is still ultimately a good thing. The last time out, Chris blamed “Internet trolls” for criticism and said everybody else commenting was an “armchair ceo” or “armchair developer.”

Sure thing, Chris. I mean 2019 was a depressing year even by CIG’s standards. Every year has seen delays and disappointments but this was the year Chris officially started hiding from the public. When he did take the stage at CitCon, he was more non-commital than ever about what he’d deliver when. (And Squadron, originally slated for 2020 release back during the Calder investment press tour, was MIA.)

It’s not just Chris and Sandi who seem in retreat.

Consider who our weekly spokespeople have been over the last 7 years:

1) Wingman
2) Sandi & Ben (with lots of Chris on the side and regional updates constantly)
3) Chris & Sandi (with rotating office updates each week)
4) Lando (with the New Kids on the Block talking about sound, or some new planet tech dillywhopper, or the next great starship...)

But we barely saw Erin Roberts, Brian Chambers, Eric Davis, Nick Elms, Todd Papy and a bunch of other former regulars this year. Tony Z showed up once with a whiteboard backdrop covered in THE VISION, as if that gag wasn’t old 3 years ago, but surely that was required to keep whale confidence levels stable. Sandi vanished altogether, after a brief walk on part in Q2 of Lando’s new show. Most of the faces who served as deputy spokesmen for the project have retreated from view. And it all feels less like a changing of the guard than the passing of the buck.

Good things ahead, surely.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

G0RF posted:

If BBC Click don’t ask specifically about Squadron 42, they suck.

If they do ask and Chris uses it as an opportunity to break the news officially that Squadron 42 is once again being postponed, then he sucks. Even worse than before.

While I don’t expect punches thrown, that they’re even returning to the subject, and probably with a more jaundiced eye, is still ultimately a good thing. The last time out, Chris blamed “Internet trolls” for criticism and said everybody else commenting was an “armchair ceo” or “armchair developer.”

Sure thing, Chris. I mean 2019 was a depressing year even by CIG’s standards. Every year has seen delays and disappointments but this was the year Chris officially started hiding from the public. When he did take the stage at CitCon, he was more non-commital than ever about what he’d deliver when. (And Squadron, originally slated for 2020 release back during the Calder investment press tour, was MIA.)

It’s not just Chris and Sandi who seem in retreat.

Consider who our weekly spokespeople have been over the last 7 years:

1) Wingman
2) Sandi & Ben (with lots of Chris on the side and regional updates constantly)
3) Chris & Sandi (with rotating office updates each week)
4) Lando (with the New Kids on the Block talking about sound, or some new planet tech dillywhopper, or the next great starship...)

But we barely saw Erin Roberts, Brian Chambers, Eric Davis, Nick Elms, Todd Papy and a bunch of other former regulars this year. Tony Z showed up once with a whiteboard backdrop covered in THE VISION, as if that gag wasn’t old 3 years ago, but surely that was required to keep whale confidence levels stable. Sandi vanished altogether, after a brief walk on part in Q2 of Lando’s new show. Most of the faces who served as deputy spokesmen for the project have retreated from view. And it all feels less like a changing of the guard than the passing of the buck.

Good things ahead, surely.

They're circling the waggons, Gorf. The Comanches are massing and poor poor embattled CIG are laagering up before the onslaught.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Inacio posted:

quote:

Dude, this is the ONLY one decent game about space

COLISION PROBLEMS (TELEPORTATION) WITH DEAD PLAYERS

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

After making a teabag i've been teleported 500km away in space and on yela surface

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Good.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

COLISION PROBLEMS (TELEPORTATION) WITH DEAD PLAYERS

[/quote]

Waiting for step-on-body workflows to come online. Early Days™

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Waiting for step-on-body workflows to come online. Early Days™
[/quote]

The bugs this game has are really quite interesting to think about. Everything is kitbashed together to make this happen.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

If your gimmick was always about dildo control, you'd gain a following.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Hav posted:

I mean, I'm already interested

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

Go on.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Warframe bugs:

https://i.imgur.com/kMbYwrN.mp4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Commercial for the new power creep spaceship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7A6En6ROA

They're leaning very heavily on the "Get back at those bigger whales" phrasing and imagery. I like this, as it handily ignores that a two-hundred loving dollar ship is already a gigantic whale haul in any other game community, and also that the ship it is explicitly made to fight and constantly held up against does not exist and will never exist in the game as any sort of threat because it'd take like more than half the server just to crew it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Citizens, I'd like you to consider my alternative to the two hundred dollar whaling ship:

An anti-Idris rock.

It is just a simple rock. It is small and grey and does not float or punch above its weight. But I guarantee that as long as you hold it, you'll never see an Idris in Star Citizen.

It's a steal at just $100.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
It actually looks like something has changed with the BBC Click. I'm in UK and I'm sure it was listed for the main BBC Click broadcast, and now isn't. That it's still scheduled for World suggests ... actually I don't know what it suggests lol. Pressure from the UK CIG, so they've pulled it from UK broadcast only?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Thom12255 posted:

The bugs this game has are really quite interesting to think about. Everything is kitbashed together to make this happen.

At least there was a dev explanation for that train that teleported into orbit. Collision with surprise ship physics grid meant it adopted a position relative to it.

What the hell's going on with tping commandos though? Like, the sitting on bar stool ones I guess I could imagine layman's reasons for. The mid QT ones, yeah ok.

But teabagging?

Did they conjoin at the balls just as the commando's silcon soul entered the big wankpod in the sky, transporting ball boy to some 64-squirrel-bit distance relative to him? What happen?

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
oh my god Sean Tracy compared Star Citizen players to QA guys in BBC Click.

There's nothing much. There's an interview with Chris Roberts where he mentioned fidelity, and that the Red Dead Redemption 2 development also took a lot of time.

echothreealpha fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 14, 2019

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Jonny Shiloh posted:

They're circling the waggons, Gorf. The Comanches are massing and poor poor embattled CIG are laagering up before the onslaught.

It does feel pretty eerie, kinda like the tide rushing out unexpectedly because some earthquake struck hundreds of miles offshore.

Maybe that’s unruly pessimistic. But CitCon felt like there was some unspoken bad news baked into the proceedings. It was lacking in confidence (aside from Tony’s beep-boop ramblings). Especially worth mentioning: the air of desperation surrounding Theaters of War. As if Chris only realized 4 years into his PG not Landing Zone vision of space gaming, “Oh crap — all this travel time crap makes for boring rear end gaming to both play and watch!! Quick, we need a way to cut it all out! Quick - what about a Planetside 2 thing?! Go go go!”

It’s not gonna win over many multiplayer shooter fans, not with the embarrassment of riches both from AAA players and indies. But if they re-up their Rexzilla deal it will at least make his stream a little less taxing to watch.

Still, it’s a drat sad thing that resources were commandeered for a year just to introduce a new game mode in year 8 of development. They’re most meaningful progress of the year was on a tangent nobody asked for.

2019 - Forbes investigation, the vanishing of Sandi and retreat of Chris. the growth and eventual deflation of Redbull Rexshilla, streamer angst, further roadmap deterioration, The Lady Macbeth, a timid CitizenCon, a jump point loading screen, a new game mode, and new ships that obsolesce older ones.

Pretty good year!

echothreealpha posted:

oh my god Sean Tracy compared Star Citizen players to QA guys in BBC Click.

There's nothing much. There's an interview with Chris Roberts where he mentioned fidelity, and that the Red Dead Redemption 2 development also took a lot of time.

Did they mention Squadron or is it still unspeakable?

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Agony Aunt posted:

I'd just like to remind everyone that Idiocracy was meant to be a joke, not a guidebook for the future.

Well fine then. I guess I should stop my daily checking of the Starbucks menu. According to you.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What they're showing now, it's part of the "Rival" series.

Standing by to yank the "They pulled the piece" cord.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
BBC Click episode on Star Citizen, posted on :reddit:

https://streamable.com/b4tww

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Quavers posted:

:lol: RexZilla gets more coverage than both Sean Tracy and Chris Roberts

And :trustme: himself visible looks and sounds worried in his 2 seconds of interview :ohdear:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 14, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I wont fully believe it's the end until after it happens, what with CIG somehow continuing to jump the General Lee over increasingly wide gorges every year since 2012. But yeah it definitely does seem like a much more pessimistic year than usual.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Still in Q2 2019 everyone :toot:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Quavers posted:

Everyone that is angry about a game taking 8+ years to make and missing the scheduled release by 4 years already is just an 'arm-chair quarterback'.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

:lol: RexZilla gets more coverage than both Sean Tracy and Chris Roberts

And :trustme: himself visible looks and sounds worried in his 2 seconds of interview :ohdear:

They cast Rexshilla as the whale - unbelievable!

“I’m willing to spend $20,000 on this game - I’M READY TO SPEND IT ALL!”

This thing is just another advertorial. And man, Chris needs to get a back brace stat. He’s looking halfway to swinging in the belfry of Notre Dame. You’re a centamillionaire now, Chris - stand up like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It was on there. 6ish minute piece.

loving softball.