Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Shy posted:

You're not gonna believe it but it's this one, as is proven by your post and my reply.

This really deserves a like.

So answer me sir. I need a thread on weird questions kids asak their parents and another one where you state an opinion and people need to make you change your mind (civilized)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
In case you're unable to find them, my advice is to not post them yourself. Follow the lurk before posting rule (for even longer than you think) to get a better feel for the culture of whichever subforum it is so that you have some hope of fitting in.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

MikeStmria posted:

So answer me sir. I need a thread on weird questions kids asak their parents
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572232 is close, but it's all the interesting things kids say.

quote:

and another one where you state an opinion and people need to make you change your mind (civilized)
There is probably not going to be general thread like this , but there are subject-related forums that might have threads where this is somewhat okay for a specific topic.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

MikeStmria posted:

and another one where you state an opinion and people need to make you change your mind (civilized)

Depending on the subject matter this might be a decent Ask/Tell thread. Or most subforums have Q&A threads

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dumb Lowtax posted:

In case you're unable to find them, my advice is to not post them yourself. Follow the lurk before posting rule (for even longer than you think) to get a better feel for the culture of whichever subforum it is so that you have some hope of fitting in.

Don't underestimate this advice. I've flopped into a few threads and just come across as an absolute shithead despite my intentions. Lurking is the hottest tip I've seen in a while. Looking like an idiot in front of random internet people hurts. A little. Sort of.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

MikeStmria posted:

Thread where you state an opinion and people need to make you change your mind (civilized)

These threads crop up every once in a while, but they almost always turn into a shitshow. I’d recommend just posting in a somewhat relevant thread and asking for an explanation of the opposing viewpoint.

It’s a good way to get a free avatar and red text though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
There's a few websites I visit that recently made changes so that using an adblocker will not allow you to use their comments section. Okay, fine, I turn off the adblocker. I now see the usual clickbait nonsense like "doctors hate this woman" and "10 secrets [industry] doesn't want you to know".

Lately I see stuff like "this is what dental implants cost in [your state]". I can understand how these would get people to click through, but now I see this a lot (and as you can see, more than once on the same site):

Who is this aimed at? I also see a variation that says "[celebrity]'s spouse is the most stunning woman alive today.

And, no, I didn't click.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
People who enjoy looking at pictures of attractive young women?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm gonna say 40+ horny men, since those are some dated references. We're at the cusp of algorithmically generated web content though, so the reason could just be clickthrough statistics.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Dumb Lowtax posted:

please note this does not apply to byob, we love you as you are and can't wait to see your posts

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Rabbit Hill posted:

Math question from a math-illiterate:

I have two columns of numbers and I want to find the average proportion (?) between them, so I can then apply that to a single number to estimate what its (uhh) proportion buddy would be. :eng99:

For example:

I was thinking I'd find the average of column D above (adding cells D2-D10, then dividing by 9 = 64%) and then calculate:

350 is 64% of X
X is approx 548
548 - 350 = 198

Is this bad math?

That's correct math, but you can make it easier on yourself by using Excel's built-in formulas:

D11 =AVERAGE(D2:D10)
E11 =AVERAGE(E2:E10)

B11 = A11/D11*E11

C11 = A11 + B11

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Forums related:

Often times I'll see a reply in a thread that's simply ".", without "(user) hosed around with this post at (time)" - I can understand some of them being ninja edits but it happens more frequently than I'd figure is reasonable.

My guess is that a user wanted to search their posts within the thread and posted that so they could click on their name and see all their posts in that thread.

Would you say that's the case the majority of the time?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Sometimes ill do that to find an old reply but almost always say its a placeholder and add real content afterwards.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Some of those might be posts edited by the moderation, I think those don't have the [x] hosed around with notes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

YggiDee posted:

Some of those might be posts edited by the moderation, I think those don't have the [x] hosed around with notes.

Admins can gently caress around with them without the notification, mod edits will get somebody hosed around with this appended

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Holy poo poo it makes my day to know that you still post here. Your escaping prison story in ask/tell so many years ago was not only super entertaining, kept me on SA, and convinced me to also click HidingFromGoro's prison stories prompting my whole sheltered life/political/interpersonal outlook to change. Great have you around, please post in CSPAM more!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

There's a pedestrian crosswalk request button thing that has been broken for a few weeks now. Where and who do I tell to get this thing fixed? Because it's a wide enough street that green lights for cars isn't active long enough for most people to cross it safely, plus it's quite busy that you can't casually jaywalk without getting run over. It's also only inactive on one side of the street, which is probably why nobody has noticed it's broken.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Here in Australia there's a phone number on the cabinet holding the traffic light controller, maybe there's something similar?

Or you could call your local government and ask them.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

value-brand cereal posted:

There's a pedestrian crosswalk request button thing that has been broken for a few weeks now. Where and who do I tell to get this thing fixed? Because it's a wide enough street that green lights for cars isn't active long enough for most people to cross it safely, plus it's quite busy that you can't casually jaywalk without getting run over. It's also only inactive on one side of the street, which is probably why nobody has noticed it's broken.

Check your app store to see if your city has an official app. Mine lets people report broken stuff, potholes, graffiti, etc.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yeah depending on where you live it'd likely be on the city gov website, the township gov website, or the state department of transportation. All depends on who controls that hardware/road. You might also be able to just call up whatever clerk at city hall answers the phone and ask them who you should report it to.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

value-brand cereal posted:

Most cities in Canada have a call centre for this stuff. Just dial 311 and see what happens.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
The city where I live doesn't has that but for some reason there is a campaign that tells you to call to the city services to report things not working or water foodings and so on. Maybe that can work.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
You can just call any part of the city and ask them who to call. Someone broke a street sign right off the pole outside of the place I used to work a few years ago and someone else brought it into the store, we just called the police non-emergency number and were like "hey I know you guys aren't in charge of broken street signs but can you tell me who is?" and they just gave me a number to call to get some guy to come pick it up.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Cross-posting from the DIY thread, 'cause I'm a doof who doesn't plan well and I'm hoping to know this by tomorrow. :ohdear:

artsy fartsy posted:

I have a kitchen with a few different painted textures on the walls. I'd like to apply a new texture/paint over everything to make it look uniform. Do I need to use a primer on top of the existing textures before putting on the new mud?

I haven't sanded the walls, but I did scrape off the tall peaks on the roughest texture.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

artsy fartsy posted:

Cross-posting from the DIY thread, 'cause I'm a doof who doesn't plan well and I'm hoping to know this by tomorrow. :ohdear:

What do you mean by painted texture, is it plaster and like one wall is popcorn, another is ridges, or it's literally globs of paint? Can you take pictures?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

dokmo posted:

Toilets used to be an elevated tank and you'd pull a chain to flush. The chain would be on the left side but if you were more likely sitting it would be on the right side.
Why would you ever want to flush the toilet while your'e still sitting on it?

tuyop posted:

Many modern toilets are also a button on top of the tank lid. Centred. Eventually it makes sense that’ll be the standard.
Many? Can you even buy a toilet that has the flush buttons anywhere but the centre? I don't remember the last time I even saw a toilet with anything but the standard "buttons in the centre" design. Except for public toilets where they're sometimes in the wall, I guess.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Many? Can you even buy a toilet that has the flush buttons anywhere but the centre? I don't remember the last time I even saw a toilet with anything but the standard "buttons in the centre" design. Except for public toilets where they're sometimes in the wall, I guess.

I don’t know about buying a toilet but I’m sure the turnaround for toilet replacements is pretty low so you see lots of older ones!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Buttons aren't the standard in America.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Tiggum posted:

You're a pervert who likes that "my whole rear end is a little wet" feeling? Or you're really sick and camped out on the toilet, although that's hopefully pretty rare.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

artsy fartsy posted:

no priming before mud dude, just knock off as much of the old poo poo as you can and go for it. sanding screen on a stick and mash what you can off like you're swiffering a floor. the more you get off the less mud you'll need to make it nice and smooth again, and the more new texture you're putting on the less that will matter (secret: texture is mostly to hide poo poo)

Tiggum posted:

the handle ones are really easy to fix. the button ones aren't. especially the ones with two fuckin buttons for how much you want to flush, tf is with that?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Being green and using less water

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Stravag posted:

I don't need some stupid button to tell me what to do.

"If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down"

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Stravag posted:

p sure using the same handle toilet for 50 years or w/e is greener than having a new toilet stripmined in china and shipped across the globe to me cause it uses slightly less water

i do get it, i'm just being Cantankerous

Quabzor posted:

"If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down"

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

What do you mean by painted texture, is it plaster and like one wall is popcorn, another is ridges, or it's literally globs of paint? Can you take pictures?

Yes, actual mud texture and not just paint--it looks like the previous owners didn't like the existing texture so slapped on a different one--or started to, until they got bored. The whole house is full of half-assery like this.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

owlhawk911 posted:

no priming before mud dude, just knock off as much of the old poo poo as you can and go for it. sanding screen on a stick and mash what you can off like you're swiffering a floor. the more you get off the less mud you'll need to make it nice and smooth again, and the more new texture you're putting on the less that will matter (secret: texture is mostly to hide poo poo)

Thank you! You're absolutely right that this new texture will be hiding some dumb poo poo. Thankfully I also happen to like the way textured walls look (when done well--the existing stuff looks pretty bad and gets real annoying when trying to hang up pictures etc.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

owlhawk911 posted:

p sure using the same handle toilet for 50 years or w/e is greener than having a new toilet stripmined in china and shipped across the globe to me cause it uses slightly less water

i do get it, i'm just being Cantankerous

The actual ecological breakeven point is going to be very different dependent on your waste treatment facilities, local water sources, stuff like that.

But nobody is suggesting replacing your toilet every year like it projects a glowing rectangle or anything. It’s just like, if a toilet has to be installed because new toilets are needed (as they sometimes are!), it makes sense that it uses like 2L of water a flush instead of 15, no?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Holy poo poo it makes my day to know that you still post here. Your escaping prison story in ask/tell so many years ago was not only super entertaining, kept me on SA, and convinced me to also click HidingFromGoro's prison stories prompting my whole sheltered life/political/interpersonal outlook to change. Great have you around, please post in CSPAM more!

Oh hey man, thanks! I'm still glad I posted that and had so many positive experiences as a result. I've kept my nose clean except for a couple anti-ICE/concentration camp protest "arrests" (citations).

Cheers!

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

tuyop posted:

The actual ecological breakeven point is going to be very different dependent on your waste treatment facilities, local water sources, stuff like that.

But nobody is suggesting replacing your toilet every year like it projects a glowing rectangle or anything. It’s just like, if a toilet has to be installed because new toilets are needed (as they sometimes are!), it makes sense that it uses like 2L of water a flush instead of 15, no?

rain catchment and on-site septic, i'm greener than a goddamn tree. got solar too baby

i really don't like owning things i can't fix, ecological impact is just one of many reasons for that. i do get it though! and if you're doing new construction in a city they make a lot more sense, cause water/waste management is harder and there are plumbers to call. my toilet is older than i am and unless they actually come out with one that projects a glowing rectangle (i have always dreamt of my toilet doing that) you can pry it from my cold dead hands. the buttons ones have the same float valve+a whole janky mechanism that fucks up instead of a chain/lever/flap

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Oh hey man, thanks! I'm still glad I posted that and had so many positive experiences as a result. I've kept my nose clean except for a couple anti-ICE/concentration camp protest "arrests" (citations).

Cheers!

this sounds super interesting, mind linking if it's still up?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

owlhawk911 posted:

this sounds super interesting, mind linking if it's still up?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1745759

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

so a black hole is a star the collapses into an infinitesimally small, infinitely dense point. a neutron star is sort of similar, but the original star wasn't massive enough to form a point, so it's a ball.

so what the hell is gravastar? i think it's formed similarly, but is somehow different?

I don't know much about them, but: in a black hole, the schwarzschild radius defines the limit beyond which all quantum information is lost (the event horizon). That radius defines the region of the singularity. A gravastar has sufficient mass (and spin, I suppose) to appear basically identical to a black hole, but it has a central region of dark energy preventing its collapse into a true black hole. Surrounding that central region is a bose-einstein condensate, and surrounding that is the gravastar's shell. The whole thing emits no light and interacts only gravitationally with space around it so it looks just like a black hole to an outside observer.

That all said, they are highly theorized objects of the sort imagined when trying to resolve apparent contradictions in black hole math. I'm not sure how accepted they are in the astrophysics or theoretical physics community, since even the wikipedia page says things like "the violent creation of a gravastar might be an explanation for the origin of our universe and many other universes," which is exactly the sort of untestable statement you hear from string theorists. I also don't know how it would be possible to distinguish a gravastar from a black hole in observations, so the whole concept seems truly theoretical.