Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

The ACW had a measurable impact on the United Kingdom, to include the disruption of the British textile industry and the direct results of that, the impact massive arms purchases from both US and CS governments had on the British arms industry, and the political impacts of support for the Confederacy from within the British government.

The new hotness in Civil War studies is studying the international aspects of the war and it is, in my opinion, probably the last major area that hasn't been completely tapped out over the last 150 years.

The school in Scotland I'm looking at not only offers an American History masters program, but their senior lecturer for the program is an ACW historian.

If it's the school I'm thinking of, that's awesome and I'm a little jealous if you end up going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The DNC has a chance to mobilize new voters and build upon the energy they're seeing from young people. Or they'll ignore them and pander to Todd the jet ski dealership owner who really reluctantly voted for Trump last time.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

The DNC has a chance to mobilize new voters and build upon the energy they're seeing from young people. Or they'll ignore them and pander to Todd the jet ski dealership owner who really reluctantly voted for Trump last time.

Yeah this really feels like a time when the DNC just needs to capitalize on the growing resentment of Boomers by younger millenials and Gen Z. Too bad all of the candidates are Boomers themselves.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well. Not all

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well. Not all

Buttigieg is an honorary boomer

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

facialimpediment posted:

hes a boomer with benjamin butt disease

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GqrXWEWhf8

This is a current event

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 14, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Still not all!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well. Not all

It's actually pretty evenly spread between Silent, Boomer and X.
e: 3 Silent, 7 Boomer, 5 X
Top 5 are 3 Silent, 1 Boomer, 1 X

joat mon fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 14, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/nickciarelli/status/1205535544228212736?s=20

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LOL why would they think that an intern working with the campaign social media coordinator wouldn't have copies of emails sent?

https://twitter.com/hashtag/DropOutBloomberg?src=hash

Edit- for those who don't care enough to wade through Twitter hashtags: Nick Ciarelli was an unpaid intern on the Bloomberg Campaign. He gets an email asking him to hire actors to perform a silly meme like dance set to the "Moves Like Jagger" song. He films the routine and posts it. Everyone makes fun of it so the Bloomberg campaign staff claim he doesn't represent them. Dude then shares the email where he is prompted to make a video that looks like young people spontaneously broke out into dance.

https://twitter.com/nickciarelli/status/1205634523850919936

Hekk fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 14, 2019

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Hekk posted:

LOL why would they think that an intern working with the campaign social media coordinator wouldn't have copies of emails sent?

https://twitter.com/hashtag/DropOutBloomberg?src=hash

Edit- for those who don't care enough to wade through Twitter hashtags: Nick Ciarelli was an unpaid intern on the Bloomberg Campaign. He gets an email asking him to hire actors to perform a silly meme like dance set to the "Moves Like Jagger" song. He films the routine and posts it. Everyone makes fun of it so the Bloomberg campaign staff claim he doesn't represent them. Dude then shares the email where he is prompted to make a video that looks like young people spontaneously broke out into dance.

https://twitter.com/nickciarelli/status/1205634523850919936

https://twitter.com/bradfordevans/status/1205588515477581825?s=19

The Bloomberg campaign's social media coordinator, the guy in the email asking that guy to make that video, quit after he saw that they fired that guy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Holy poo poo, I did not expect anything beyond an initial cringe to come from that video. But now it's my favorite part of the election so far.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Pretty sure it's all fake and for jokes

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

But enough about the Democrats...

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stravag posted:

gently caress yes do it for the sword mcnally!

If the American education system awarded a sword and top hat, I wouldn't be in the Navy :(

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Doesn't matter, this is reality now, and if you put that much effort in your joke gets to be reality.

Plus gently caress bloomberg

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Yeah, I am dumb and it looks fake now that I have read through their tweets. That's 30 minutes of my life I won't get back. But also, that hashtag is trending so people are talking about it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

facialimpediment posted:

The 2020 election will not be a persuasion election. The 2020 Democratic primary will be, but everyone's mind is made up already on the Trump yea/nay. The 2020 general is going to be a turnout election.

I can see maybe-will-maybe-wont-vote Democrats getting pulled into voting with that kind of big reminder.

Courts are still hosed though.

Exactly. The Tories didn't gain very many voters at all in the recent UK election. Rather, the Tories won because Labour collapsed. I expect 2020 to turn out similarly. Trump will get nearly the same number of votes he did last time. If we want to get Trump out, just get existing Democrats go to the goddamn ballot box.

https://twitter.com/DanaHoule/status/1205591065396420608

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Any gain at loving all after the past couple of years should be viewed as an utter disaster.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

McNally posted:

The school in Scotland I'm looking at not only offers an American History masters program, but their senior lecturer for the program is an ACW historian.

Glasgow?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Edinburgh.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

Edinburgh.

My man.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

Edinburgh.

Ok, well drat that actually sounds pretty interesting. Good luck with your application! I only spent an afternoon in Edinburgh once, but it was a beautiful city.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i lust for old people death and I don't give a gently caress what their individual politics are they as a whole have failed the entire loving planet

Missed this earlier.

Yeah, maybe lusting for death isn't really how you should be phrasing this.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stravag posted:

Im sure the winters are more pleasant than in tn or nc where you get fluctuations of 70 20 80 30 in a week and a half

I’m in a hotel room in middle Tennessee and I’ve got the A/C running.

You nailed the hosed up meteorology of the south.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’m in a hotel room in middle Tennessee and I’ve got the A/C running.

You nailed the hosed up meteorology of the south.

I lived in nashville for about 5 years, nc for 3, and worked through enough winters that i have enough unfortunate experience

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

McNally posted:

Missed this earlier.

You do realize who you're talking to right

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

You do realize who you're talking to right

ya, his loving daddy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Now, when you say "loving daddy",

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

McNally posted:

Missed this earlier.

i am becoming increasingly impatient with the lich class siphoning off the living class and wish they would discorporate

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Logan's Run had some good ideas.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Maybe if we suck their old dicks they'll change their ways

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Want that once of the first trump scandals? Him getting his dick sucked? Doesnt seem to have made him more human

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

That's because he doesn't like it for the pleasure, for him it's a power move.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Current event: I just learned about this, and I thought the guy was making it up at first. https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/125421/air-force-clarifies-post-deployment-stand-down-policy/

10 days of essentially permissive TDY and a 4 day pass after a 90 day rotation?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Current event: I just learned about this, and I thought the guy was making it up at first. https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/125421/air-force-clarifies-post-deployment-stand-down-policy/

10 days of essentially permissive TDY and a 4 day pass after a 90 day rotation?

Yeah, it's a pretty solid program.

It's at the unit commander's discretion. I've never seen those granted for 90 day rotations. I've only gotten them after 6+ month deployments. It gives the servicemember time to inprocess back into the unit, schedule mandatory mental health & medical appointments, turn in deployment gear, re-adjust to jet lag, etc. It worked out great for me, because I couldn't sleep more more than two hours straight the first week I was back from Afghanistan and I'd have just been a zombie at work otherwise.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It sounds much better defined than it was when I was in. We basically got two weeks to gently caress around locally, but god help you if you left the local area without using leave. I've never heard of a 90 day rotation, but most of ours were between 120-180. The downtime was also to make up for the ~4 months or so prior to deployment when leave was mostly prohibited because you were going to be TDY for 2-3 weeks back to back to back to back for much of it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Ok, well drat that actually sounds pretty interesting. Good luck with your application! I only spent an afternoon in Edinburgh once, but it was a beautiful city.

I spent Christmas and Boxing Day in Edinburgh one year and it was quite nice. Great culture and people. A little more refined than Glasgow, but still Scotland. Also will probably soon be a capital of a new country... so that's exciting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

It sounds much better defined than it was when I was in. We basically got two weeks to gently caress around locally, but god help you if you left the local area without using leave. I've never heard of a 90 day rotation, but most of ours were between 120-180. The downtime was also to make up for the ~4 months or so prior to deployment when leave was mostly prohibited because you were going to be TDY for 2-3 weeks back to back to back to back for much of it.

Our guys did 90 day rotations for a while. But it was 90/90/90/90 etc etc so on forever