Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
3rd movie means we finally get to meet Ganja Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't wait to see the epic adventures of Nein Nunb continue. I hope he's in the background as Bigger Luke and Luuuke team up to battle Palpatine.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dean of Swing posted:

3rd movie means we finally get to meet Ganja Club.

are they the guys with the Target troopers?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Actually *watched* TFA for the first time a couple of days ago, but what severely puts me off is the amount of, i dont know how to put it, "cool" behaviour of the characters.
Like, when Finn and Poe bail in the Tiefighter, the dude-broing comedy had me in cringes.

I dont know, i liked star wars characters when they were a bit more stoic, Han Solo was a space-swashbuckler but never resorted to throwing oneliners on a per-minute basis.
Maybe its just me growing old, but i really dont like the manner in which characters interact with each other in a star wars environment.

i see what you mean, but poe and finn are explainable enough. poe is a hot shot pilot/commando and thats his whole personality, finn being basicaly a blank slate who is also scared shitless, copies him hard because he wants to sound like he isnt losing his poo poo. finn is projecting and han calls him out on it a bunch.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
Okay everyone lean in real close while I explain why TLJ was bad again..

*holds your dick like a microphone*
I took my son (a child in grade school) to see it and he was loving bored out of his mind. He loved TFA. He was super excited for TLJ. He thought I was taking him to see a movie about laser swords and the underdog learning about the power within themselves. He's a big fan of girl heroes (his favorite crystal gem is Pearl) and he loved Rey in the first one. After the first 15 minutes he was asking how much longer the movie would be and if we could go home. He has never done this at a movie in the past.
I asked my 17 year old niece what she thought and she said, "I'm just glad they're not making anymore Star Wars after this one."
So my question is this, if it wasnt made for grade school kids or teenagers, who was TLJ for? Star Wars fans? Nope.. they sort of hated it. Casual viewers? Maybe but it doesnt seem like it really hit there either. Idk.. maybe I'm too dumb to get it but the meta poo poo was sort of on the nose and not really insightful in my opinion. There is endless analysis of star wars as a franchise so I certainly dont want it from the franchise itself. Sort of misses the mark from all angles imo. Anyway that's my ted talk. thanks

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It was made for merchandisers. A bunch of bland new characters with pleasing enough aesthetics that they might make good action figures and Funko Pops and plushies and t-shirts and posters and mugs and characters to stick in Disney theme parks. Also, they care as much or more about trying to get Chinese consumers to buy Disney poo poo as they do Americans and Europeans, so they don't want to push any limits. It's bland by design.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dick wizard posted:

I took my son (a child in grade school) to see it and he was loving bored out of his mind. He loved TFA. He was super excited for TLJ. He thought I was taking him to see a movie about laser swords and the underdog learning about the power within themselves. He's a big fan of girl heroes (his favorite crystal gem is Pearl) and he loved Rey in the first one. After the first 15 minutes he was asking how much longer the movie would be and if we could go home. He has never done this at a movie in the past.
I asked my 17 year old niece what she thought and she said, "I'm just glad they're not making anymore Star Wars after this one."
So my question is this, if it wasnt made for grade school kids or teenagers, who was TLJ for? Star Wars fans? Nope.. they sort of hated it. Casual viewers? Maybe but it doesnt seem like it really hit there either. Idk.. maybe I'm too dumb to get it but the meta poo poo was sort of on the nose and not really insightful in my opinion. There is endless analysis of star wars as a franchise so I certainly dont want it from the franchise itself. Sort of misses the mark from all angles imo. Anyway that's my ted talk. thanks

yeah, thats also a problem it has, its up its own rear end and stupidly slow and really gently caress awful pacing outside some of the better parts. poe and finn/rose plot lines drag the plot down and are only their because of themes and poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

dick wizard posted:

I did not consent to you holding my dick "like a microphone". This is sexual assault.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Say what you will about the prequels but George Lucas new how to make characters that translated into toys people wanted. Darth Maul, Grievous, Yoda with a lightsaber, Droiiiiiiiiids, Jar Jar, Papa Fett, Podracers, etc.

Which is not to say a movie should be judged on the ability to sell toys, but it just so happens that that ability made for memorable movie characters.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

dudeness posted:

Say what you will about the prequels but George Lucas new how to make characters that translated into toys people wanted. Darth Maul, Grievous, Yoda with a lightsaber, Droiiiiiiiiids, Jar Jar, Papa Fett, Podracers, etc.

Which is not to say a movie should be judged on the ability to sell toys, but it just so happens that that ability made for memorable movie characters.

Roger Roger

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

They did do that though.

There was a "Outer Rim Bar" scene in TFA.

That's my point, yes.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Anybody else think Christopher Lee was wasted?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah it’s too bad. Probably the majority of his dialogue ended up cut.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I don't think you people understand the "Mystery Box" or "Subverting Expectations" and how they are the superior tools of film making.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Gologle posted:

yeah, he looked poo poo faced. had a serious case of whiskey-saber; couldn't even get the drat thing straight

frankly, its amazing he was able to fire that thing up at all. not that it did him much good since he still ended up just giving head

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 14, 2019

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
You thought you were going to see a fun popcorn movie that literal babies would enjoy? You fool. You loving idiot. This is a serious movie for grown ups and it's about being chased to death.
The pacing issue?
Intentional.
Unlikeable characters who are boring on screen?
Intentional.
Titty milking scene that's completely void of eroticism despite the sexually charged nature of the act?
Intentional.

Get better at watching movies about space wizards you loving dopes.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

dick wizard posted:

Obviously that just means TLJ was not the movie they or you wanted :rolleyes: . Its a good movie that *checks notes* takes all of the characters you love from the OT and makes them better.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gologle posted:

yeah. he was he did nothing and than he died. dooku as character concept isnt bad and i like what the clone wars (and old eu) does with him but than he just dies and is never brought up again.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

dick wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S4Ss5bK-ws

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dick wizard posted:

You thought you were going to see a fun popcorn movie that literal babies would enjoy? You fool. You loving idiot. This is a serious movie for grown ups and it's about being chased to death.
The pacing issue?
Intentional.
Unlikeable characters who are boring on screen?
Intentional.
Titty milking scene that's completely void of eroticism despite the sexually charged nature of the act?
Intentional.

Get better at watching movies about space wizards you loving dopes.

nah clearly its revolutionary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWqVJZMh6-w&t=1s i agree with the point about luke but the rose poo poo can gently caress off.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
not to get too wild here, but

i think dooku's utter useless vacuousness as a character only strengthen's the "jar jar was a sith lord argument"

the movie would make much more sense and hit harder if his role was fulfilled by a betrayer whom we once liked

instead...well, jar jar

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
when do we get the jar jar binks movie

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Actually there's no such thing as a good or bad movie, according to a few pages ago. It's all subjective and there is no such thing as a bad (or good) movie you absolute rube.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Some nerd a long time ago said on this very forum said that dooku should have instead been qui gon jinn (who didn’t die last movie). Like he grew more and more frustrated with the Jedi until becoming a Sith and leader of this rebel movement. Ya know, an emotional connection to the villain for our two leads.

It actually sounds like it wouldn’t suck!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dooku should have been in Phantom Menace as Qui-gon’s old master. Either he supports Qui-gon about Anakin, in which case he falls out with the other Jedi; or he sides against him, in which case the two of them fall out right before Qui-gon dies. For Qui-gon to come back and heel turn would have been pretty hosed up, I don’t think it was in his character...but then they say the same thing about Dooku.

Thanks for reading this fan fiction

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dooku could still have been absolutely nothing as a character and it wouldn't have mattered if they gave Lee more lines than none at all. Great actors can give good screen presence and gravitas to even the most nothing characters.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

dick wizard posted:

Please indicate on the chart how the Star Wars Explainer Man touched you:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Some nerd a long time ago said on this very forum said that dooku should have instead been qui gon jinn (who didn’t die last movie). Like he grew more and more frustrated with the Jedi until becoming a Sith and leader of this rebel movement. Ya know, an emotional connection to the villain for our two leads.

It actually sounds like it wouldn’t suck!

That sounds stupid as hell

But still less stupid than the actual prequel movies

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I can't believe the cantina music is actually called jizz :laffo:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the fact i hate most about these loving idiotic movies is how star wars went from the rise and fall of master jedi anakin skywalker to the story about the loving palpatine. i mean what the gently caress

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol I didn't think about that, but it's true.

If Palpatine = Snoke then the combined series is definitely Palpatine's Story, and he is the only character that appears in every film.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I...don't think he shows up at all in A New Hope? He is of course mentioned, but that's different from being seen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

lol I didn't think about that, but it's true.

If Palpatine = Snoke then the combined series is definitely Palpatine's Story, and he is the only character that appears in every film.

i think snoke is gonna be some "rogue" servant or some poo poo or just some random jackass, either way palpy knew about him and let him gently caress around and used him as final test for kylo, like he tried to use vader for luke and dooku for anakin.

Gologle posted:

I...don't think he shows up at all in A New Hope? He is of course mentioned, but that's different from being seen.

nope. he is mentioned and lucas hadnt thought of him yet. also with ESB. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsDLIPVsic

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
every single one of those is worse than what they replaced

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gologle posted:

Palpatine is in the mos eisley cantina, wearing a wolf mask. It's his day off

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

every single one of those is worse than what they replaced

the 2nd one is ok enough. but the rest suck. the first one is dated as gently caress but it works.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The Mandalorian was another recycled western, but the Star Wars veneer makes me think I'm watching original content, and I'm fine with that. Bill Burr was really good at playing Bill Burr, as was Richard Ayoade (who didn't make it through the first sentence before I pickup up on it). Baby Yoda continues to be way too cute, and I'm hoping that Werner Hertzog has some sort of return for the last episode(s) so that we have some idea what BY was to be used for.

It's sort of funny how putting a sci-fi spin on Westerns, WWII, and Samurai movies makes for good star wars.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Blistex posted:

The Mandalorian was another recycled western, but the Star Wars veneer makes me think I'm watching original content, and I'm fine with that. Bill Burr was really good at playing Bill Burr, as was Richard Ayoade (who didn't make it through the first sentence before I pickup up on it). Baby Yoda continues to be way too cute, and I'm hoping that Werner Hertzog has some sort of return for the last episode(s) so that we have some idea what BY was to be used for.

It's sort of funny how putting a sci-fi spin on Westerns, WWII, and Samurai movies makes for good star wars.

because star wars doesnt need to be deep. its space fantasy mixed with WW2, samurai and westerns. mandalorians good because its basicaly a western/samurai jack in space and he and baby yoda gently caress around from port to port making money and looking for a place to lie low and have weird adventures. it also sets up the universe post endor really well.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because star wars doesnt need to be deep. its space fantasy mixed with WW2, samurai and westerns. mandalorians good because its basicaly a western/samurai jack in space and he and baby yoda gently caress around from port to port making money and looking for a place to lie low and have weird adventures. it also sets up the universe post endor really well.

Exactly (that was my point). Star Wars is good when you stick to what works, SIMPLE STORIES that the viewer can get invested in, rather than the Rube Goldberg mess that TLJ and ROS turned out to be. Give us some good guys, some bad guys, give them understandable/relate-able motivations, and it pretty much writes itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dooku sounds like dookie 💩