Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

DasNeonLicht posted:

In any case, please let us know how they tasted and whether you got sick :munch:

I did not. While I believe they were fine my wife was on the fence. She is very particular about the quality of her food. In addition the other people in the family are children and diabetic sister in law which apparently make it easier to have adverse effects from infections/bacteria etc. Then there was timing. I still had to cook dinner for 6 other people so might as well eat with them. So no real time to cook one for myself :/ lastly today is Friday which is our trash day and I didn't want to keep them over the next week to throw them out. I was really torn about this and more so ticked about the money. Lesson of the story don't drink and cook I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm going to visit a friend tomorrow who had a newborn a few weeks ago. We're going to go over in the afternoon and stay for dinner. I've decided to bring something for dinner that I can leave a lot of behind for the parents.

2 weeks ago I brought over a big batch of Jambalaya left over from a tailgate we had that day and they loved it. I was thinking I could just bring a big pot of gumbo, but am kinda thinking over other potential options. I don't think either of them have any allergies or food restrictions.

So, what's something I can whip up in one morning / half day that would make for good leftovers that can be had as a nice dinner? For the dinner alone I'll probably bring some bread, wine etc and maybe dessert, so it's not gonna be total standalone. I just want to leave them a lot of food since they are pretty exhausted with the newborn.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

That Works posted:

I'm going to visit a friend tomorrow who had a newborn a few weeks ago. We're going to go over in the afternoon and stay for dinner. I've decided to bring something for dinner that I can leave a lot of behind for the parents.

2 weeks ago I brought over a big batch of Jambalaya left over from a tailgate we had that day and they loved it. I was thinking I could just bring a big pot of gumbo, but am kinda thinking over other potential options. I don't think either of them have any allergies or food restrictions.

So, what's something I can whip up in one morning / half day that would make for good leftovers that can be had as a nice dinner? For the dinner alone I'll probably bring some bread, wine etc and maybe dessert, so it's not gonna be total standalone. I just want to leave them a lot of food since they are pretty exhausted with the newborn.

They won't care as long as it's good and easy to reheat.

Tuna noodle casserole.
American Chop Suey
Mac and cheese
Turkey Tetrazini
Enchiladas
Chicken pot Pie
Meatloaf
Curry
Quiche

Anything else form the casserole section of Joy of Cooking.

Casserole and salad is king of easy dinners. Don't be too mad if nobody else drinks since sometimes they're just too exhausted.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
As a new parent, lasagna and King Ranch chicken were always solid "fuuuuck what's in the fridge?" go-tos. I like the general suggestion of casseroles above. Can be heated up in bulk or served directly into a plate and microwaved.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
^^^^^ oop, crossed in the ether, but yeah, lasagna or chicken are great go-to dishes

Also ...

Lasagna
Herbed roast chicken quarters on sauteed greens
Vegetable strata
Enchiladas
Chili
Twice-baked potatoes with hearty toppings

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

Can be heated up in bulk or served directly into a plate and microwaved.

When I cook for people in crisis, I usually go with soup and stews, for the same reasons.

That, and I have a giant stack of gallon yogurt containers that make it easy to transport and store.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Anything that comes in big quantities, especially if it can be easily reheated and/or eaten cold. When my friends had a baby, some of the meals I made them were: roast chicken, carrots, salad; pork loin roulade, brown rice pilaf, green beans; chicken noodle soup, cheddar biscuits; smothered pork chops, mashed potatoes. Etc. etc. etc. I would also bring muffins or other stuff they could eat for breakfast/lunch with one hand.

I wouldn't plan on them drinking. If someone's breastfeeding then they can't, and the other parent often won't out of solidarity. Plus they're responsible for a baby. You could bring it to offer, but don't be surprised if they decline

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks all.

Not our 1st new parent rodeo so am figuring they won't drink but the husband had mentioned we should catch up for beers soon etc so was gonna bring a few and leave if we don't get into them.

I'm thinking enchiladas since I can do the pressure cooker green chili verde with chicken and that was always a bulletproof recipe and comes together quick / scales up well. Thanks for the reminder on that one. They come from an Italian family background and are getting food from others so was kinda avoiding pasta-based casseroles due to that.

I can bring some pico de gallo and avocado slices or just chips and guacamole for them as well for the dinner I guess.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Tamales. They can be frozen and easily microwaved.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You can make enchiladas "lasagne style" by layering things up in a casserole pan like a lasange, it makes a denser meal so more room in the fridge. Just make sure to use tons of sauce or it will dry out, good corn tortillas soak up a a ton of sauce.

Anne Whateley posted:

I would also bring muffins or other stuff they could eat for breakfast/lunch with one hand.

Great advice, that never would have occurred to me!

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Enchiladas and lasagna are both perfect casserole freezer meals and incredibly satisfying.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Potato based casserole is my default when I feel both lazy and bored of pasta casserole.

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.

spankmeister posted:

Is that why they're called molokan or is it a coincidence?

Been a few pages since this question, sorry I missed it. But yeah that's kiiinda why they're called Molokan. My understanding is the like official reason is they would still drink milk during Lent whereas Russian Orthodox doesn't normally do that. Then it just kind of went from there into incorporating dairy heavily into their diet/recipes. The recipe book has like 5+ recipes for homemade yogurt, and pretty much every recipe has some form of dairy in it.

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008
I just made a pressure cooker vegetable stock, partially out of trimmings, and it tastes horrible and bitter.
We made sure nothing cruciferous went in - it's leek, garlic, onion, parsley, cilantro, carrot, kombu, and dried mushroom - and pressure cooked it for an hour. The bag of trimmings has been collected over the past month, but returned to the freezer each time after opening it to put stuff in. Any ideas on what went wrong?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Orange Somen posted:

I just made a pressure cooker vegetable stock, partially out of trimmings, and it tastes horrible and bitter.
We made sure nothing cruciferous went in - it's leek, garlic, onion, parsley, cilantro, carrot, kombu, and dried mushroom - and pressure cooked it for an hour. The bag of trimmings has been collected over the past month, but returned to the freezer each time after opening it to put stuff in. Any ideas on what went wrong?
Cilantro.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GlassLotus posted:

Been a few pages since this question, sorry I missed it. But yeah that's kiiinda why they're called Molokan. My understanding is the like official reason is they would still drink milk during Lent whereas Russian Orthodox doesn't normally do that. Then it just kind of went from there into incorporating dairy heavily into their diet/recipes. The recipe book has like 5+ recipes for homemade yogurt, and pretty much every recipe has some form of dairy in it.

Cool that's what I figured, thanks for answering.

I've been learning Russian and it's fun to discover little things like that.

For example, the modern day Russian word for German still means something like "mute person" because they couldn't speak Russian (duh) so they named German traders "mute people" lol.

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.

Orange Somen posted:

My guess would be either something you put in the stock was rotten or you have the genes for tasting cilantro like soap. I can't stand cilantro cause it just tastes awful and it only takes a little to ruin an entire dish for me. If you don't use it often in your cooking it could be that. I've found it more noticable in soups.

spankmeister posted:

Cool that's what I figured, thanks for answering.

I've been learning Russian and it's fun to discover little things like that.

For example, the modern day Russian word for German still means something like "mute person" because they couldn't speak Russian (duh) so they named German traders "mute people" lol.

That's really fascinating. I like learning little tidbits like that from languages. I've always considered learning Russian and sign language and maybe Spanish but when I tried to learn Spanish in highschool it was literally the only thing I found really difficult so learning languages seems daunting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Orange Somen posted:

Boiling kombu produces horrible off flavors and can be very bitter, I'd put my money on that. If you're using kombu you should just let it soak in the water for a couple hours beforehand, you can raise the temperature to a bare simmer and then remove it before you continue.

That's kind of annoying with a pressure cooker, what I would do is soak the kombu overnight in your water (in the fridge is best) and then do the rest the next day.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 14, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
In a Japanese cookbook it's mentioned that grated daikon can be used to tenderize chicken if you marinate the chicken in it (and then wipe it off before cooking). I can't seem to find anything backing this up. Is this just bad folk wisdom?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3c68/97008d8d92f7a8b7501ef6557b97b9f29406.pdf

All I can find is that some varieties of radish can have protein enzymes, which suggests usefulness in surface tenderizing of meats

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good resource for vegetarian recipes aimed at novice cooks? As an example, I've already made a lot of stuff from Budget Bytes. I'm not sure what that site's reputation is but it's been a good fit for my skill and comfort level in the kitchen.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Can anyone recommend a good resource for vegetarian recipes aimed at novice cooks? As an example, I've already made a lot of stuff from Budget Bytes. I'm not sure what that site's reputation is but it's been a good fit for my skill and comfort level in the kitchen.

I'll let someone give a better answer but Budget Bytes is a good resource that people here share often. There's good stuff there especially for the cheap+fast recipes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

captkirk posted:

In a Japanese cookbook it's mentioned that grated daikon can be used to tenderize chicken if you marinate the chicken in it (and then wipe it off before cooking). I can't seem to find anything backing this up. Is this just bad folk wisdom?

Hey, gently caress it, do an experiment. One with daikon, one with a different veg, one with commercial tenderizer, one with just whatever other flavors. See if there's noticable difference.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

That Works posted:

I'll let someone give a better answer but Budget Bytes is a good resource that people here share often. There's good stuff there especially for the cheap+fast recipes.

Did you just recommend the website they mentioned by name in their post?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Fender Anarchist posted:

Hey, gently caress it, do an experiment. One with daikon, one with a different veg, one with commercial tenderizer, one with just whatever other flavors. See if there's noticable difference.

I considered it but I would need test subjects and everyone is traveling this week. I guess I could make up some karaage for Christmas appetizers...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

prayer group posted:

Did you just recommend the website they mentioned by name in their post?

"I'm not sure what that site's reputation is "

And I was replying in the affirmative of that.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

That Works posted:

That's actually a relief. I have a long history of thinking I've found something useful and then OOPS there's a problem. Good to know they don't steal recipes from other people or some-such.

I feel like I've seen Serious Eats recommended before and they have a respectable vegetarian section so I guess I can add that to the pile. Though all their Asian style recipes involve "a wok over high heat" which make sense but man I am not ready to live the wok life. Too much stuff in my small kitchen already.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

McCracAttack posted:

That's actually a relief. I have a long history of thinking I've found something useful and then OOPS there's a problem. Good to know they don't steal recipes from other people or some-such.

I feel like I've seen Serious Eats recommended before and they have a respectable vegetarian section so I guess I can add that to the pile. Though all their Asian style recipes involve "a wok over high heat" which make sense but man I am not ready to live the wok life. Too much stuff in my small kitchen already.

We actually have a fair number of vegan/vegetarian cooks running around here. Check out the Vegan Thread and they should be able to provide more specific resources.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Our own dino makes delicious vegan recipes and guidelines. He has a blog, YouTube channel, and a book:

Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle (Tofu Hound Press) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0066A9YQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pNc-DbJKXM668

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

We actually have a fair number of vegan/vegetarian cooks running around here. Check out the Vegan Thread and they should be able to provide more specific resources.

Will do. I was a little hesitant to post there since I wasn't sure if asking for vegetarian recipes in the vegan thread was maybe a bit gauche. But if anyone would know, they would.

BrianBoitano posted:

Our own dino makes delicious vegan recipes and guidelines. He has a blog, YouTube channel, and a book:

Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle (Tofu Hound Press) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0066A9YQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pNc-DbJKXM668

Thanks, I'll have a look. Is their Youtube channel easy to find? I may start there.

breaks
May 12, 2001

McCracAttack posted:

Will do. I was a little hesitant to post there since I wasn't sure if asking for vegetarian recipes in the vegan thread was maybe a bit gauche. But if anyone would know, they would.

Avoiding posting these in the vegan thread since they are more vegetarian, which is no criticism of you asking there since I'm sure you'll get some good vegan recommendations. Also depending on how inexperienced you are this stuff may be for ambitious nights.

Simple by Ottolenghi. All his recipes really, but this is a collection of the easier ones. Not a vegetarian cookbook but a lot of that in there

Much of Bon Appetit's vegetarian stuff is fairly straightforward and delicious. The mushroom larb thing they did relatively recently is one of my favorites but I just remembered it has fish sauce in it so uh, sub or omit if you don't eat fish

Power Vegetables by Peter Meehan/Lucky Peach, not strictly vegetarian but mostly so

Everything without meat in the vegetable chapter of The Food of Sichuan by Fuchsia Dunlop, though this is not a vegetarian cookbook in general, the veg-only recipes are very simple and delicious. The only mild difficulty is sourcing the ingredients which you will need to get from some manner of Asian grocer or online. It is adapted to what's generally available in the west though, with more obscure stuff usually just mentioned in the descriptions. (Land of Plenty is the original version of this cookbook and I don't know how similar it is in these regards.) Probably not worth buying for the veg recipes because they are relatively few and similar, but if you can get it from a library or something, 100% recommend, also the several pages of short sauce recipes in the back.

In retrospect that's a lot of not entirely vegetarian cookbooks to recommend to someone looking for vegetarian things, but I think the main thing there is avoiding the lifestyle books/blogs and paying more attention to the sources that are about making good food in general.

breaks fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 17, 2019

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

McCracAttack posted:

Thanks, I'll have a look. Is their Youtube channel easy to find? I may start there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8-uRc9iGViuAGQFx3oJJ4Q

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You can get vegetarian ‘fish’ sauce now and oyster mushroom sauce too. Lots more vegetarian and vegan subs for ingredients are popping up now.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

breaks posted:

In retrospect that's a lot of not entirely vegetarian cookbooks to recommend to someone looking for vegetarian things, but I think the main thing there is avoiding the lifestyle books/blogs and paying more attention to the sources that are about making good food in general.

Solid advice. And thank you for the suggestions.

Helith posted:

You can get vegetarian ‘fish’ sauce now and oyster mushroom sauce too. Lots more vegetarian and vegan subs for ingredients are popping up now.

Is "vegetarian 'fish' sauce" something you can buy in an average grocery store or do you have to order online? That's thrown me off a few recipes before.

Another thing that throws me off is sesame oil. Not because it isn't vegetarian, but because it badly disagrees with my digestive health. I have a few friends who have the same problem too.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

tbh I’m not a huge fan of simple though i really like the rest of ottolenghi’s cook books. plenty is really good, and plenty more also.

i think a lot of people fall into the trap of trying to cook replacements for their staples when they go vego instead of trying new avenues out, i go vegan for lent and it became a lot easier when i stopped trying to find out an alternative for steak or w/e and allowed the food to speak for itself. i hesitate to bring mark bittman up because he appears to be a bit of a racist but his vegetarian recipes basically fed me through uni, if you’re able to find his recipes without paying he’s worth a look in

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I just use a mix of miso and soy sauce. Sometimes MSG or hoisin or nutritional yeast.

Not a seamless sub but does the trick!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Chicken thighs, what's the secret to cooking them? The only successes I've ever had with this is when I marinade for a few hours before cooking. It always comes out tender no matter what. However, I remember reading somewhere that hotter is better for thighs cause they're fatty and can take it. So I cut them up and threw them straight into a wok without marinading beforehand. They weren't horribly rubbery, but they weren't as soft. But I don't know whether it's because I overcooked it or didn't marinade. I'm just stumped cause I fried them for the same amount of time I'd done previous thighs that I had marinaded. I'd say a total of 4 times marinaded, and every single time delicious and tender. But this is the 2nd time I've done thighs just as is, and it's slightly rubbery and a little offputting. I didn't clean the plate.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 17, 2019

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I presume you are cooking with skin on and that's what is getting rubbery on you. How are you seasoning them before wok frying?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are you sure you cooked them through enough? chicken thighs at undercooked temps are really unappealing. if you overcook them they will be fibrous and dry, not rubbery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I have new garden space. I am keeping the tree because it gets hot here and I need shade. There’s only a corner that gets full sun and I’m probably going to grow tomatoes there. What grows well in the shade?