Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bust Rodd posted:

Favreau is pretty obviously telling them to ham it the gently caress up so that Mando’s terse stoicism comes off better. If Mando were the same as he is but everyone behaved and spoke normally, he’d look like a completely socially inept dork instead of the rough & tumble wandering gunman that the show needs him to be.

These are GOOD actors being told to overact the hell out of their underwritten parts so that Mando looks cooler because everyone is a foil to him

Please keep hammy acting out of my Star Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nail Rat posted:

How long can you call it the New Republic though? Seems at a certain point that's an issue that would need to be addressed.

New Jersey has been a state since Dec. 18, 1787. I don't think there's a lot of pressure to call it American Jersey or anything. So, I guess the New Republic can be the New Republic for as long as it wants.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Awww :3:

Mando dad should also have drawings done by his son on the ship's cockpit.

(I'm still surprised I haven't seen a "Do it for her" meme but with baby yoda)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

(I'm still surprised I haven't seen a "Do it for her" meme but with baby yoda)

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how old is mando supposed to be. he is little when the clone wars happen so may guess is 30s or so.

Let's see...
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline_of_galactic_history

The Clone Wars took place roughly 20 years prior to A New Hope.
Return of the Jedi takes place 4 years later.
The Mandalorian takes place about 5 years after that.

I'll assume Mando was about 5 years old during the Clone Wars, possibly younger.
During ANH that would make him around 25, during ROTJ 29, which would put him in his mid-30s while the show takes place.

Not seeing the "old man", despite what the gunslinger kid called him in Episode 5.

EDIT: Pedro Pascal is 44, for what it's worth.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 14, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Lampsacus posted:

I'd be interested to hear from the posters who said this was dull. The complaints of this episode being characters wandering around empty corridors for no reason strikes me as odd. Genuinely interested here, what is your idea of a not-dull episode?

Your post strikes me as odd. You somehow can’t fathom that somebody likes different things than you?

My favorite episode was the Tree World one. That was s not-dull episode that unlike most other episodes had an actual plot and concrete stakes and wasn’t just a series of things happening for no reason.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It would be interesting if Baby Yoda, as cute as he is, isn't somehow mind-tricking Mando into caring for him. If Yoda's species stays that size even after 50 years, it'd stand to reason it's evolved to survive - by cuteness as well as potentially 'imprinting' itself on secondary caregivers until it reaches maturity.

I don't know why - but the idea of Yoda's species potentially being an 'emotional parasite' really intrigues me, and it could bring new dimension to Yoda and Yaddle. It'd also leave open the possibility that Baby Yoda could go 'gray' instead of light or dark.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I was hoping that when they got to the cell and saw who was inside it would be another baby Yoda.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Rocksicles posted:

The new castle in Newcastle is like a thousand years old.

Still enjoying the hell out of this show but if you love Sci Fi and aren't watching The Expanse S4 you are depriving yourself.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It would be interesting if Baby Yoda, as cute as he is, isn't somehow mind-tricking Mando into caring for him. If Yoda's species stays that size even after 50 years, it'd stand to reason it's evolved to survive - by cuteness as well as potentially 'imprinting' itself on secondary caregivers until it reaches maturity.

I don't know why - but the idea of Yoda's species potentially being an 'emotional parasite' really intrigues me, and it could bring new dimension to Yoda and Yaddle. It'd also leave open the possibility that Baby Yoda could go 'gray' instead of light or dark.

Another group of professionals with little reason to interact aggressively begin to react violently around the Baby Yoda. The only one immune and acting relatively cool is the droid, because its immune to force powers. Even it begins to realise something is up, but too late. Another datapoint.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
lmfao how many innocent people did the New Republic just kill? No wonder the First Order have supporters.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gohmak posted:

Still enjoying the hell out of this show but if you love Sci Fi and aren't watching The Expanse S4 you are depriving yourself.

I finished it like a beer on a hot day

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

piL posted:

Another group of professionals with little reason to interact aggressively begin to react violently around the Baby Yoda. The only one immune and acting relatively cool is the droid, because its immune to force powers. Even it begins to realise something is up, but too late. Another datapoint.

yeah I dunno that group didn’t exactly scream Professionalism to me. they all seemed like pretty huge dipshits even before coming onboard, including the droid

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I had hoped that Carl Weathers had contracted mando to do a job where in the end the plan all along was to get these guys onto the prison ship and lock them in and doing the job as bobby elvis says at the end was to turn them all in... but no. episode was ok. billy burr kind of reminded me of that chevy ads with real real people guy.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I thought Natalia Tena was a high point of the episode. She reminded me of Angie Milliken in S01E06 of Farscape. Milliken was a big-dealish stage actor and the cast and crew were excited to have her on the show, and then she came on set and was so weird and over the top it freaked them all out. In the commentary Ben Browder talks about how in the episode you can see him constantly shooting her "What the gently caress is she doing?" looks because her acting was so bizarre he figured there was no way these scenes would make the final cut. It's hilarious watching that episode realizing that Browder was more reacting than acting in their scenes. At some point Milliken said she was playing the role so oddly because her character was an alien born to an alien culture, and because her character's history was so removed from "normal" that she felt everything from her speech patterns to her facial expressions should accentuate a sense of otherness. The end result is strange and wonderful, and seeing the other actors honestly reacting to her like she's a freak just sells the point she was making.

I mean I'm not totally sure that Natalia Tena acting like Ertha Kitt's 1967 Catwoman was the best choice, but I get that she was trying to make an alien actually feel alien and I respect her taking chances with the role. Plus I love her in that show Residue that sadly got shitcaned after only like three episodes, and other than doing Harry Potter and GoT she can do no wrong in my book.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Jesus posted:

Your post strikes me as odd. You somehow can’t fathom that somebody likes different things than you?

My favorite episode was the Tree World one. That was s not-dull episode that unlike most other episodes had an actual plot and concrete stakes and wasn’t just a series of things happening for no reason.
I don't can't fathom it. I just can't quite differentiate why this ep (e06) is just a series of things happening for no reason. Unless you are trolling?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Frankenstyle posted:

I thought Natalia Tena was a high point of the episode. She reminded me of Angie Milliken in S01E06 of Farscape. Milliken was a big-dealish stage actor and the cast and crew were excited to have her on the show, and then she came on set and was so weird and over the top it freaked them all out. In the commentary Ben Browder talks about how in the episode you can see him constantly shooting her "What the gently caress is she doing?" looks because her acting was so bizarre he figured there was no way these scenes would make the final cut. It's hilarious watching that episode realizing that Browder was more reacting than acting in their scenes. At some point Milliken said she was playing the role so oddly because her character was an alien born to an alien culture, and because her character's history was so removed from "normal" that she felt everything from her speech patterns to her facial expressions should accentuate a sense of otherness. The end result is strange and wonderful, and seeing the other actors honestly reacting to her like she's a freak just sells the point she was making.

I was thinking China - a performance so specific and weird that they instructed actors playing the same alien race so not copy her and make her look like an extra weird weirdo - but yea, exactly, this.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Thanks, you just saved Life Day!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

just another posted:

lmfao how many innocent people did the New Republic just kill? No wonder the First Order have supporters.

How many millions of force laborers were blown up on the death star II?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I seriously doubt the space station which was owned and operated by a ruthless coterie of cutthroat, backstabbing mercenaries was otherwise populated with innocent bystanders. Wasn’t the premise of the episode that the dude needed Mando because he only had 4 guys? The entire space dock seemed automated.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bust Rodd posted:

I seriously doubt the space station which was owned and operated by a ruthless coterie of cutthroat, backstabbing mercenaries was otherwise populated with innocent bystanders. Wasn’t the premise of the episode that the dude needed Mando because he only had 4 guys? The entire space dock seemed automated.

Only 4 people for that sort of job, we saw a bunch of other people when Mando first arrives. And let's be fair to the Republic, the only explosion we see was the actual gunship that they specifically targeted. That's real bad for anyone in the launch bay, but the space orphanage on level Blue 4 is still ok. And the pilots don't give a gently caress about anyone remotely involved with launching a fighter at them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I actually like how Bill Burr seemed so much like Bill Burr. He played the role like a normal Earth criminal who got dumped in the Star Wars galaxy, shrugged, and found a new crew.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I am gonna give the X-Wing pilots the benefit of the doubt and say they were shooting surface guns and shield installations, and not just casually murdering hundreds of people as they tried to blow up the station. And ya as others have said I liked how casual and sorta bored the pilots were like this was just another Tuesday compared to the poo poo they did in the Rebellion.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

just another posted:

that was basically a libertarian seastead

except less incompetently run but likely no less rapey

nobody will be missed

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Lampsacus posted:

I don't can't fathom it. I just can't quite differentiate why this ep (e06) is just a series of things happening for no reason. Unless you are trolling?

I don't know, are you trolling?

In this ep (e06) just like in last ep (e05) Mando comes to some place looking for work. He gets a quest that has no relationship to the previous story and no significance on its own. We learn something from his past, but nothing really new (we know he's supposed to be a badass). Baby Yoda only gets to sit around and plays no part in the story. Mando fights people and then the story ends. We don't know where Mando is going and what his plan is other than to get money and try to survive somehow. The last episode introduced an interesting group of characters, but had them wander around in boring, identical spaceship corridors, which is a waste.

In comparison, episode 4 had its own little plot (villagers in a remote village protecting themselves from marauders) connected to the overarching plot - Mando looking for a place to hide after being busted. He happens to find a suitable place but has to solve a problem that comes with it. Then it turns out hiding isn't gonna be enough. There were clear stakes and it was established that baby yoda can't hide even in a remote place. The episode also further established Mando's humanity with how he related to the villagers, especially the main lady and her daughter.

So this was what I considered not a dull episode. I enjoy OT references and colorful characters, but it's not enough to carry the show for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If your only qualification for “tying into the main plot” is just “Mando is looking for a place to hide”... the unrelated bounty quests are things he has to do in between those because he needs fuel, ammo, and bone broth for his l’il soup dumplin’.

I do agree however that any episode where Baby Yoda gets left in the fridge is bothersome.

The only thing that really bothered me was the wild scene in the Sun Crest where Bill is joking about taking the baby and then he drops it on the floor when they leave hyperspace. I know Mando was trying to keep calm so the baby didn’t get hurt, but I’d have nuked the entire team then and there.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 14, 2019

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
Mando's great at fighting, he's just hard-countered by tank builds.

Thought the episode was awesome. The mercenaries came off as the right kind of unstable psychos for their occupation. You can tell mando got tired of their sort, which is why he went legit (Guild) for a while.

Herostratus fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 14, 2019

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mandrel posted:

yeah I dunno that group didn’t exactly scream Professionalism to me. they all seemed like pretty huge dipshits even before coming onboard, including the droid

I'm definitely reaching to try and make my own narrative true. However, I assume even amongst cutthroat criminals if you were always that abrasive and willing to kill one another, it would be impossible to stay in the business for years, and definitely impossible to work with the same small group repeatedly.

In my proposition, as a survival mechanism Baby Yoda carries with him a field of mind control that just wreaks havoc everywhere he goes. Hence why the viewer sees so much violence. I dont know what that range is but it's possible we never see the criminals outside of that range. The other half of this Baby Yoda idea is that hes kind of like the One Ring. We do observe that once BY is revealed, Burr talks about wanting to keep it, like a pet. He states he's never been good with pets and we presume he's just trying to rile Mando up (inexplicably right before busting into a prison), but he could have done that by threatening to space the child or eat it or something else. Maybe, even as he was trying to get Mando's goat, the mind control was working and he was plotting on how to keep baby Yoda for himself.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

My daughter, who is not quite two years old, calls Baby Yoda, "Baybee Yoyo." :3:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Who was the white dude X wing pilot? He looked real familiar. Was it a cameo?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Who was the white dude X wing pilot? He looked real familiar. Was it a cameo?

dave filoni? all three are directors of the show doing cameos

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
Who was jamming the comms towards the end of the episode?
Perhaps BY with the force?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Herostratus posted:

Who was jamming the comms towards the end of the episode?
Perhaps BY with the force?

The Mando, when he locked the droid out of the prison ship's computer. They were pretty explicit with it.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

ElBrak posted:

The Mando, when he locked the droid out of the prison ship's computer. They were pretty explicit with it.

Thanks! Seems strange that the RB's comms couldn't reach out to such a short distance on their own though.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
God I loving love Baby Yoda.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's like some Pontypool rear end shot because we all KNOW it's just a calculated way to prey on the cuteness sectors of our brains but are helpless but to go along with the craze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's like some Pontypool rear end shot because we all KNOW it's just a calculated way to prey on the cuteness sectors of our brains but are helpless but to go along with the craze.

oh of course its all calculated but i am genuinly impressed how loving well it worked, espcially compared to the porgs.