Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

wormil posted:

There is a water volume to bone weight ratio in the CIA textbook but what I do is pack the pot with bones up to the line, including a couple of feet, then fill with water to the line, and go. As said above, you can always reduce it but I almost never do. 30 minute simmer will reduce it down a fair bit. Probably not the right way but it gets the job done.

Didn't know MbS posted here

edit: uh for content, I got the duo on sale to replace my old electric pressure cooker and I'm excited to make yogurt

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a good chicken adobo-like recipe except in stew form rather than just stuff-chicken-boils-in turn? Water + vinegar + whole spices floating around ain’t very appetizing, but I love the flavor.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
LOL, my post did sound weird. CIA = Culinary Institute of America. Probably works either way though.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

big black turnout posted:

Didn't know MbS posted here

edit: uh for content, I got the duo on sale to replace my old electric pressure cooker and I'm excited to make yogurt

I make Greek yogurt weekly in the Instant Pot (making some right now). It is so easy, and if you get some rennet, you can make skyr, which is even better.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I made the famous Butter Chicken recipe as my first dish in my 8qt in Fridag. Everybody was like "did you order this"? I tasted just like in the restaurants (in a good way).

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

dinahmoe posted:

I make Greek yogurt weekly in the Instant Pot (making some right now). It is so easy, and if you get some rennet, you can make skyr, which is even better.

Oh hell yeah, I've been thinking about getting some rennet to try my hand at making simple cheeses so this is just another excuse

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

I made the famous Butter Chicken recipe as my first dish in my 8qt in Fridag. Everybody was like "did you order this"? I tasted just like in the restaurants (in a good way).

The 2 sleever's one? I really have to try that one of these days.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

SpannerX posted:

The 2 sleever's one? I really have to try that one of these days.

This one: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/the-butter-chicken-lady-who-made-indian-cooks-love-the-instant-pot

I heard about this lady and googled to find the original butter chicken recipe. That is what I came up with.

Edit: Yeah seems to be the same.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 8, 2019

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

This one: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/the-butter-chicken-lady-who-made-indian-cooks-love-the-instant-pot

I heard about this lady and googled to find the original butter chicken recipe. That is what I came up with.

I have to try it out, I love indian food, and if it's quick and easy, it'll be on the menu all the time.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

SpannerX posted:

I have to try it out, I love indian food, and if it's quick and easy, it'll be on the menu all the time.

This is exciting. I just got an Instant Pot, will need to try this.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SpannerX posted:

She has a cookbook of nothing but instant pot indian recipes I am tempted to pick up.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
There is an kindle unlimited 3 month trial right now and the book is on unlimited, see if you like it.

Edit: as my second dish ever, I made deer goulash today, it was amazing and took only 25 minutes under pressure +buildup.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nephzinho posted:

She has a cookbook of nothing but instant pot indian recipes I am tempted to pick up.

Heh, I have it, just haven't used it yet. I mostly do pulled pork, stock, and baked beans in my IP. :D (It's worth it just for those 3 things alone).

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Hopper posted:

I just got an InstantPot but my pre-reading indicated putting tomatoes at the bottom of a recipe can cause the “BURN” error — is that concern overblown (or balanced out by the liquid from the can of crushed tomatoes)?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SpannerX posted:

Heh, I have it, just haven't used it yet. I mostly do pulled pork, stock, and baked beans in my IP. :D (It's worth it just for those 3 things alone).

I got an on sale pot to replace a lovely old small crockpot after my good one got curbed. Pretty much intended to use it for stock, pulled pork, and pot roasts as a glorified crockpot, but starting to actually think about doing real things in it.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Hopper posted:

quote:

6. Remove half of the sauce and freeze it for later, or refrigerate for as long as three days.

Is the idea here that you just use half the total sauce and the other half gets used for a meal later? I can't parse if this is 'to make ahead of time' instructions or splitting the pot.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I think that is because you need enough liquid in the instant pot and that means too much sauce, but I doubled the recipe for the bigger IP and while there is a lot of sauce, it is not like you can't serve it like that.

You could always add more meat, maybe add 1/3 of the meat total again. But I'd try it first, I don't think it is a big deal.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hopper posted:

I think that is because you need enough liquid in the instant pot and that means too much sauce, but I doubled the recipe for the bigger IP and while there is a lot of sauce, it is not like you can't serve it like that.

You could always add more meat, maybe add 1/3 of the meat total again. But I'd try it first, I don't think it is a big deal.

I assumed it was because of the fairly standard sized tomato cans and not having to find something smaller or figuring out how to "split" the tomato/liquid inside. But I tend to just add a little more chicken to the pot and it works out anyway (largely because I could just eat sauce on rice and be happy).

Anyone with access to that book can comment if any other recipes are as good as this one?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have added the eBook to my kindle on the weekend but not cooked anything yet, so I can't say.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
I've made two bean recipes at this point using dried and soaked beans and both times they've come out undercooked. Does anyone have a good vegetarian bean related recipe they'd recommend?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

vlad3217 posted:

I've made two bean recipes at this point using dried and soaked beans and both times they've come out undercooked. Does anyone have a good vegetarian bean related recipe they'd recommend?

How long are you cooking the beans for at high pressure?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

vlad3217 posted:

I've a stovetop cooker, but when that happens I just put the top back on, repressurize, then cook for another 10 minutes or so. Usually does the trick. (I mentione stovetop as I'm not sure how quickly the instantpots can get back to pressure, mine's pretty quick).

EDIT: oh also! I try and avoid adding too much acid before the beans are soft, and make sure you salt!

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

THS posted:

How long are you cooking the beans for at high pressure?

I think it was at least 25-30? If have to find the actual recipes. This was after an overnight soak in both cases.

Carillon posted:

I've a stovetop cooker, but when that happens I just put the top back on, repressurize, then cook for another 10 minutes or so. Usually does the trick. (I mentione stovetop as I'm not sure how quickly the instantpots can get back to pressure, mine's pretty quick).

EDIT: oh also! I try and avoid adding too much acid before the beans are soft, and make sure you salt!

Yeah repressurizing is possible but annoying if I thought dinner was almost ready and now I have to wait another 20+ minutes

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
20-25 min should be long enough for most normal sized, unsoaked beans.

maybe the beans you have are old and very dry? that can definitely make them take extra long.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i always cook my dried beans for 50 minutes, 20-30 is way too low in my experience. i see that number in a lot of recipes and i don’t think it’s right, that or other people have far fresher beans than i do

and yeah don’t add tomato or anything acidic in the beginning

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I prefer soaked beans but dry beans take 35 minutes in my IP. They're edible in 30 minutes but I like softer beans.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah I've never had success with 25-30 minutes, even when I tried those fancy rancho gordo beans straight from them being shipped, to get them creamy I needed closer to 45.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Carillon posted:

Yeah I've never had success with 25-30 minutes, even when I tried those fancy rancho gordo beans straight from them being shipped, to get them creamy I needed closer to 45.

Idk, I've cooked some rancho Gordo beans from dry on the stovetop in 45 minutes and they were almost falling apart.

Worth remembering is that you should actually cook them a little softer than you think. They firm up in the fridge.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I’ve heard often that you shouldn’t add salt to your beans until they’re cooked. It results in undercooked beans if you salt them too soon!

I did dried, unsoaked chickpeas in my IP for 60 minutes on high + natural release. Long time but hey, that’s dried beans for ya. Came out great for hummus!

THS
Sep 15, 2017

spatula posted:

I’ve heard often that you shouldn’t add salt to your beans until they’re cooked. It results in undercooked beans if you salt them too soon!

I did dried, unsoaked chickpeas in my IP for 60 minutes on high + natural release. Long time but hey, that’s dried beans for ya. Came out great for hummus!

you should definitely salt your beans from the beginning, only acidic stuff has a negative effect.

see: Serious Eats

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
Thank you all for bean guidance, I will report back next time I attempt beans.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I've tried IP mac and cheese and enjoyed them, but want to put it to the thread: anyone have any instant pot mac and cheese recipes they really love?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Paracaidas posted:

I've tried IP mac and cheese and enjoyed them, but want to put it to the thread: anyone have any instant pot mac and cheese recipes they really love?

If I have to IP mac and cheese, I'll go with Dad Cooks Dinner.

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-macaroni-and-cheese/

Otherwise the stove top skillet and evaporated milk/sodium citrate method is just as fast.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Really like this one - https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/instant-pot-mac-and-cheese/

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

This sent me into an IP rabbit hole and I came out with cowboy beans that are definitely getting made tonight:

https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/instant-pot-cowboy-beans/

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Appreciate the recipes! Stovetop/kitchen space was at a premium so being able to cook it from another room was a lifesaver.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Cowboy beans:

Ease: 8/10
Taste:9/10
Farts: 10/10

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Haven't really used the instant pot I got much as a gift yet, but I am chronically depressed and tend to make the laziest options possible.

If I was just to throw rice, a chicken breast, and some frozen vegetables together in the instant pot, would I need to cook any of them separately first, and how do I determine how much water to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If you're going to do that, just make the five ingredient chicken soup/stew