Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This LP inspired me to do almost the reverse, a run with a character who only ever uses VATS to attack (outside of explosives, anyway). Stacking all the VATS perks and using what modifications I can (went 1 int) to keep AP costs manageable makes fights interesting in a weird way.

Then I found an explosive combat shotgun and, welp, we're pretty much done here :torgue:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

theshim posted:

This LP inspired me to do almost the reverse, a run with a character who only ever uses VATS to attack (outside of explosives, anyway). Stacking all the VATS perks and using what modifications I can (went 1 int) to keep AP costs manageable makes fights interesting in a weird way.

Then I found an explosive combat shotgun and, welp, we're pretty much done here :torgue:

I've done this as well. Kellogg's Pistol is perfect for these builds, because it recharges your AP with every critical hit, and you can chain crits forever with a high Luck build. Finding an explosive combat shotgun or never-ending double-barrelled shotgun is the dream for Nate, but so far he hasn't found a shotgun to replace Justice.

Nate and Curie visit the USS Constitution, where Captain Ironsides greets Nate as a fellow member of the United States military.

The Sentry Bot explains that the Constitution needs repairs so it can fly again and keep fighting the war against Red China. But before Nate can speak to the second-in-command, the frigate is besieged by scavengers!

Nate flips a switch to begin an automatic broadside of explosive cannonballs, but the scavengers are determined to kill and loot the many robots on board.

The enemy brought heavy sniper rifles, and Nate is almost killed before he retreats and heals himself. He jumps down to take cover within the ruins of the bank, leaving Curie and Ironsides to do most of the fighting.

When Nate makes his way back through the Constitution, Curie moves to meet him, and everything goes to hell. Perhaps it's her French demeanour, or perhaps its her habit of hitting friends and foe alike with explosive bullets - the ship's first mate calls her an intruder and opens fire. Curie fights back and slaughters most of the robots belowdeck, before Nate realizes that he can bring her onto the deck where the Captain is still friendly and needs help stopping the scavenger attack.

After Nate shoots a scavenger, Ironsides proclaims "Mission Accomplished", but there are still several scavengers with heavy weapons attacking the ship. Nate's shotgun or laser can hardly scratch them at this range, so he throws a precisely aimed frag grenade between two of the scavengers. Moments later, the ship's lookout charges them with a buzzsaw, and gets blown up.

Captain Ironsides decides he's had enough of this human foolishness with explosives, and fires at Nate with his minigun arms.

Nate and Curie run from the ship, but they are pursued by more robots with buzzsaws.

Captain Ironsides is a terrifying figure in the dawn twilight, and his triple missile launchers are also terrifying. Nate and Curie wear him down in a long battle.

It's not even possible to loot Ironside's body. The only way to get his nice hat would have been helping the USS Constitution fly again. I feel terrible because this quest is a fun romp with hilarious writing, but friendly NPCs unlike Curie are not immune to friendly fire and I didn't see that robot before I threw the frag grenade.

Mandy is the leader of the scavengers. She refuses to even talk to Nate after he cleared the ship and, uh, ensured she gets a bigger cut of the loot.

With heavy hearts, Nate and Curie travel northeast to investigate the strange rumours around the Museum of Witchcraft.

Nate picks up a weak distress signal coming from this satellite array, which is heavily occupied by Super Mutants.

In the sandy ruins northeast of Boston, he finds a deathclaw wandering around. Between Nate's shotgun knocking them back and Curie's explosive bullets, deathclaws are easy fights.

Curie is a bit slow to start shooting at this one, so Nate has to reload once before blowing its head off with Justice.

Level 36 perk: Medic 3 (Level 30, 2 Intelligence)
Now stimpaks will heal 80% of Nate's health.

Outside the Museum of Witchcraft, Nate finds gory remains with a disturbing holotape (not my video).

What follows is a terrifying crawl through the basement while some thing growls and roars on the main floor.

A body falls through the ceiling in front of Nate. These dead men were a well-equipped squad of gunners.

Curie cheerfully agrees to lead the way, as she seems to be physiologically incapable of fear.

The monster in the museum is a savage deathclaw, a tougher and larger variant of the commonwealth's least favourite lizard. Nate blasts it with Justice repeatedly to make the beast stagger backwards. Shell after shell fails to make the monster stumble.

The deathclaw overcomes Nate. Nate is dead.

At least this was one of the coolest deaths I've ever seen. Savage deathclaws are not immune to being staggered by Justice, which has a 92% chance of staggering the target on a direct hit. However, it is immune to being staggered while playing a scripted animation, so the first three shots had no chance of inducing a stumble. The next four shots were partial hits because of the deathclaw's speed, and when Nate fired the last shell into its skull at close range, it was already playing the "kill you" animation and could not be interrupted.

Time to restart the LP! Instead of Nate or Nora, suggest a name and appearance and I'll go with the best/most popular one.

We've tried rifles, and we've tried the shotgun build with a bit of help from a laser and grenades. Will the next character use rifles, shotguns, or automatics?

And for details about the build, choose two: Ammunition-hauling strength, grenade-aiming skills, companion-empowering charm, or time-altering nerd rage.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

automatics with ammo and time shifting

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The museum is set up with a ton of too small to follow holes in the walls, so that you can run from the Deathclaw and find places to hide like a proper horror movie protagonist. Not stand there and shoot the monster and then die like a disposable side character.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Character : Fat, bald, albino, with a bad mustache and he is called Percy.

Automatics and ammo hauling.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR _____________________

BEGIN TRANSCRIPTION- CONVERSATION WITH MS. _________ on _____________.

*Late night, in a run of the mill roadside diner. The rain slowly began to fall, the bright lights of the city dancing on the dark horizon. She singled out the spot for purposes of privacy, few people came here, it seems.*

"...So, ma'am, how has everything been since the shutdown?"

"Cut the poo poo, ________. I know you've been tracking me for a while, and though I've been polite enough to not get in your way, what's done is done. There's no reason to make a legal case about this."

"I'm just doin' my job ma'am. Well, was. My employers dropped this case a long time ago and I ain't ready to kick it yet."

"You're a moron, Percy, but I'll humor you. Won't be long before it doesn't matter anymore. That bein' said, I haven't all day."

"I'll get right to it then, ma'am. What actually happened on the set that day?"

"Sabotage. They'd been slowly hiring in over time, secretly wanting to destroy Radsmoke. They got to our mobile animatronics, Ironsides and the like, fried their insides and got 'em to come after us. That was the first incident when they played their hand."

"Why didn't you run then, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Nobody'd believe me. It was a double shot day, and it ended when the deathclaw robot tore out Nate's jugular. Deathclaws weren't written for that scene. There wasn't a mistake there, we hadn't used that model in forever and it had been stored away where there was no way a stupid intern could find it by accident."

"Hm...You're talkin' rather calmly about all this."

"Had forever to think about it. It doesn't bother me anymore. Besides, I was onto them from the start- I just didn't act in time."

"Er...What happened to Curie?"

"She and Nate were going to get married soon. After that whole event, she dropped off the face of Earth it seems. I don't blame 'er."

"What about--"

*At this point, Ms. _______'s pager went off. She took one brief look to the sky and back at me before leaving.*

"Interview's over, Percy. Maybe we can continue in a couple hundred years, after the bombs have finished dropping."

"We'll see, ma'am. Thank you for your time, regardless."

--------
Story and espionage aside, its a shame Nate got taken out so quickly. Maybe we just need to burn through progress as quickly as possible instead.

I vote for a dirty hobo appearance and terrible hairstyle. I'm talking deranged old coot or old lady, whichever you can get to look crazier.

Grenades and teammate charm because I'm going off the charts and voting for melee.

I just want to see how long taking a new approach will work, even if it's probably doomed to fail.

Edit: Also, :patriot: to Nate and Radsmoke. We knew you well, wandering man of justice.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 6, 2019

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

7c Nickel posted:

The museum is set up with a ton of too small to follow holes in the walls, so that you can run from the Deathclaw and find places to hide like a proper horror movie protagonist. Not stand there and shoot the monster and then die like a disposable side character.

In my experience, trying to outmaneuver the AI often results in getting stuck on some object and then clumsily dying. Being able to stunlock an enemy is a good plan - it failed here because I tried to rush the deathclaw during its aggro animation, not realizing that makes it immune to stunning, and then I got unlucky with the RNG for my remaining shots.

It's time for an intermission. Meet Grandma Sparkle! I want to give more people a chance to vote on the next character, so here's a mini-update about the power of melee weapons. I'll need a bit of time to get used to the fact that I'm no longer playing a character who can sprint everywhere forever, has unlimited money, and is almost invulnerable to most weapons.

Grandma Sparkle has maximum strength, and she is ready to beat the Commonwealth to death with the nearest blunt implement.

Her only follower will be Dogmeat, so she can enjoy the incredible toughness boost that comes from the Lone Wanderer perk.

In addition to melee weapons, she will also incinerate her enemies with grenades. But as far as Grandma is concerned, guns are for hooligans.

She spots a young punk and caves in his skull with a tire iron. And then, Grandma Sparkle dies.

This was a particularly shameful death, but I wouldn't have lasted much longer with a melee weapon anyway. It goes to show that melee weapons just aren't viable without stealth or Power Armor or yao guai roasts. With the right perks you can build an extremely tough character who pounces out of cover to eviscerate enemies with a wounding combat knife - but putting yourself in harm's way for every fight means that you won't last long in a no-deaths game.

So, if you haven't voted yet (or you're Flying Twybil), a reminder of the options:

Suggest a name and appearance and I'll go with the best/most popular one.

Will the next character use rifles, shotguns, or automatics?

And for details about the build, choose two: Ammunition-hauling strength, grenade-aiming skills, companion-empowering charm, or time-altering nerd rage.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Automatics, ammo-hauling, and I'm gonna go off the reservation and say Lone Wanderer.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

...Ouch. I figured melee would stand at least a bit of a chance, but nice to know its mostly useless at this difficulty.

Commander Keene posted:

Automatics, ammo-hauling, and I'm gonna go off the reservation and say Lone Wanderer.

Let's just go with this instead. Automatics were my second choice anyways. A fistful of lead really does seem like it'll serve us better than just a fist.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Melee is absolutely viable in this difficulty but getting off the ground is difficult. If you can get past Preston’s rescue, you can then spend some time building up Sanctuary and Red Rocket and not officially start questing until ~level 8. That’s enough to get you chemist, rooted, 2 ranks of lifegiver, armorer, big leagues, and a rank of toughness.

At that point you basically can use jet and psycho to effortlessly one-shot basically anything in slow-mo. When you hit Diamond City you grab the wastelanders chest piece which makes your drugs last even longer (it stacks multiplicatively with chemist) and you end up with drug boosts of like 30 minutes real time. Do all the drugs, drink diamond city water, go out and adventure vs. absurdly stronger than you stuff thst gets wrecked by your boosted stats, repeat.

But if this is a no crafting no drugs playthru? Absolutely impossible, yeah.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, melee without Psychojet is kind of torturous I've found, though I entirely admit my aim is poo poo and VATS is my crutch. In any case, I'd say we should go whole supersoldier with an ammo-hauling, grenade throwing, automatic weapon shooting Sergeant Slaughter type.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Alternatively you go with a Blitz/Luck build and turn into a teleporting ninja murder machine and rely on VATS enhanced defense to see you through danger. Obviously not appropriate for this challenge run though.

If you end up going automatics, can I suggest you spend some time building a fancy manufactury at one of your bases to pump out ammo? It's actually kind of gratifying to have an assembly line fill a bathtub full of ammo boxes and then hoover it all up.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Grandma Sparkle rides again, but this time as an old lady with a shotgun (who also gets heated about ancient Star Trek nerd discourse to the point of altering spacetime every now and then)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Meet Percy. He's a veteran with a bad case of vitiligo, and he put on a lot of weight after being discharged from the military. The extra padding makes him tough, and he's a smart guy who loves computers and Grognak the Barbarian comic books. He doesn't get along with most people, so he'll be a Lone Wanderer which grants a lot of extra carrying capacity.

Strength: 1
Perception: 1
Endurance: 10
Charisma: 3
Intelligence: 10
Agility: 2
Luck: 1

One nuclear war later, and Percy must set out to find his new place in the irradiated remains of Massachusetts.

He finds a friendly stray dog and decides to bring him along with him.

Level 2 perk: Lone Wanderer (3 Charisma)

Lone Wanderer makes Percy able to carry 50 more pounds, and reduces incoming damage by 15%. This damage reduction is even better than it sounds, because damage resistance is better at resisting weaker attacks, so this perk actually reduces incoming damage by 21%.

Percy wanders into the ruins of Concord and shoots a guy.

Percy works his way through the raiders with ease and helps a besieged man on a balcony. He picks up a homemade automatic pistol from one of them. Percy always preferred an automatic sidearm when he fought against the commies.

Level 3 perk: Nerd Rage (10 Intelligence)

Good ol' Nerd Rage. With HP less than 20%, Percy will deal 20% more damage, gain 20 damage resistance, and perceive time in slowmotion for a few seconds. This can be a real lifesaver.

If you can control the recoil, automatics do a great job of killing enemies quickly.

I figured out my screen recorder wasn't the reason for my lowered framerates, so I'm able to post gif highlights again.

Level 4 perk: Commando (2 Agility)

Automatic weapons now do an extra 20% damage.

Nate meets Preston and the Minutemen, and Mama Murphy tells him Dogmeat's name. Preston explains the plan to use Power Armor and a minigun to fight the raiders. Percy rejects that plan and walks out the front door with an automatic pipe pistol he found that holds 24 rounds in its magazine.

A Deathclaw attacks and Percy demolishes it by shooting it from a building that it can't enter (as always).

Level 5 perk: Lifegiver (10 Endurance)

+20 HP.

On his return to Sanctuary, Nate uses the "You're Special" book to crank up his endurance to 11. He now has 167 HP, and every last point counts. Preston mentions a nearby settlement that needs help.

Should Percy help the Minutemen, explore the area, or go to Diamond City?

Chamale fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 8, 2019

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Explore the Area

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

Meet Percy. He's a veteran with a bad case of vitiligo, and he put on a lot of weight after being discharged from the military. The extra padding makes him tough, and he's a smart guy who loves computers and Grognak the Barbarian comic books. He doesn't get along with most people, so he'll be a Lone Wanderer which grants a lot of extra carrying capacity.
:yeshaha:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Exploring might be good after a long cold nap!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Percy is going to explore the area around his ruined home! But he needs a place to sleep, since he's not running straight to the hotel in Diamond City. I decided to bend the no-crafting rule to do the bare minimum of basebuilding needed to complete quests, since otherwise it would eventually be impossible to finish the story.

It's impressive how fast Percy can make beds out of tin cans and cigarettes. A one-ounce tin can yields four ounces of steal, and American dollars have no weight but can be converted into an ounce of cloth.

Mama Murphy requests some chems so that she can use her Sight and predict Percy's future.

Percy has never been one to clean up his living space. He doesn't clear any of the rubble from Sanctuary Hills, but after he plants a few gourds and builds some guard towers out of cigar boxes, Sturges declares it a perfect settlement.

Level 6 perk: Aquaboy (5 Endurance)

Of all the superpowers that Nate acquired by level 36, I especially miss swimming in radioactive water (every body of water in the Commonwealth is radioactive). This also allows Percy to hold his breath underwater indefinitely.

At this early stage in the game, every cap matters, so Percy wears a dress to impress the local scrap traders with his mediocre charisma.

A farmer is running for his life from a pack of wild dogs, but Dogmeat is able to pin them down and Percy fills each one with bullets.

Some gunmen are threatening a family, so Percy does the obvious thing and lights them on fire then shoots them. The gunmen, not the family.

Unfortunately, a giant legendary radroach infects Percy with Weakness, making him take an extra 20% damage until he finds a doctor or some antibiotics. Its corpses provides an equipment upgrade with a lightweight leather chestpiece that increases Percy's overall damage resistance, with a bonus against Super Mutants.

Level 7 perk: Solar Powered (10 Endurance)

Percy's partial albinism makes him really good at absorbing the sun's rays, so in sunlight during daytime he gains 2 Endurance (16 HP at the moment) and 2 Strength.

This guy offers Percy 50 caps to turn some underwater valves so he can drain the flooded quarry. They get attacked by giant mutated crabs as soon as Percy's finished. Single shots are better against heavily armoured foes, so Percy shoots the mirelurks from a safe distance with a bolt-action rifle.

Percy approaches a raider base which is currently under attack by a bloatfly swarm. He gets attacked by a legendary vicious mongrel, which quickly knocks out Dogmeat and then comes after him. Percy runs and leaps into the reservoir, then spends the next several minutes wearing down the dog's health as it patrol's the water's edge.

Finally, he blasts its head off.

With basic equipment and almost no upgrades, a mutt in a bad mood can ruin Percy's day, but patience and caution pay off eventually. Even better, from its corpse Percy loots a sprinter's leg, which makes our fat nerd able to run 10% faster than anyone else.

On the way to the raider fort, Percy is attacked by a terrifying mole rat covered in frag mines. He runs away and jumps into the flooded quarry again, and when he climbs back up, the mole rat suicider is missing and presumed exploded.

The raiders in the base die much more easily than the animals outside. Their leader is only a raider boss because she somehow owns a minigun; she has no concept of cover, and Percy shoots her from a window.

Level 8 perk: Lifegiver 2 (Level 8, 3 Endurance)

Maximizing Percy's HP continues to be the smart move.

This minigun is a huge upgrade over the pipe pistol, although it burns ammunition quickly so it's better to keep it in reserve when possible.

From this cigar-smoking teddy bear, Percy loots another upgrade, this dirty army helmet being stronger than his hardhat.

He also finds this auto pistol with glowing sights and a longer barrel than his old one. And a silver locket that somehow feels more important than the typical lockets found in many prewar houses.

This giant legendary radroach carries a semiautomatic rifle that deals double damage when the target's HP is full. It will probably be Percy's sniper rifle until he can find an automatic with a scope.

Percy climbs atop the conquered fort to look around the area. Where will he go next with his mighty weapon?

Continue exploring, help a settlement for Preston, or go to Diamond City?

Should Percy give Mama Murphy some Jet?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Keep exploring
Give Mama Jet

Man, I hope this dude survives :allears:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Help a settlement and get Jet for Mama Murphy.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Help a settlement, give that old women drugs!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Whichever option is GET TO THE DOCTOR.

Malah
May 18, 2015

You three are going straight to hell. Do not give grandma meth just because she claims it helps her see the future. :psyduck:

Let's go to the City, though, because we kind of need a doctor!

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
anyone who's had to live to old age in this shithole deserves some drugs

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Malah posted:

You three are going straight to hell. Do not give grandma meth just because she claims it helps her see the future. :psyduck:

Let's go to the City, though, because we kind of need a doctor!

As Percy's conceptual part creater, Percy says you can kiss the whitest part of his rear end (which will take a while to find on that mound of butter cushion).

Give Granny her smack.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Grandma or no Grandma, we should probably see a doctor. Percy should head to the big 'ol Diamond City".

Who knows, there might even be a comic book store left there! Not being able to find Grognak the Barbarian #17, original series has always weighed upon his mind.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

On the way back to Sanctuary, Percy spots this interesting lean-to shelter. It turns out to belong to a raider, and Percy kills her after she tries to shoot him for taking the Jet from her home.

That Jet goes to Mama Murphy, who tells Percy during a trip that he should "follow the signs to the bright heart".

After sleep and an invigorating breakfast of two boxes of Sugar Bombs cereal, Percy heads to Diamond City in search of a doctor.

He hears voices inside a house, and discovers a suspected "Synth", whatever that means, held at gunpoint by two suspicious travellers.

Percy needs a chance to test his new minigun, so he guns down the humans.

Unfortunately, the Synth died in all the confusion. Although Percy accidentally wounded him, it was Fred who actually shot the Synth.

Percy hears a distress call from the Brotherhood of Steel, as well as lots of laser fire from their location.

Farther down the road, he sees a huge green man with an automatic rifle - It's a legendary Super Mutant Skirmisher, and Percy immediately runs in the other direction. He hops in the river and swims to safety, then watches as a psychotic Mr. Gutsy robot fights and kills the greenskin. Its legendary loot was only a bolt-action pistol with some critical hit bonuses, uses to someone who doesn't know how to use the VATS feature on a Pip-boy.

Percy figures the safest route is to swim the rest of the way to Diamond City. Despite carrying 150 pounds of armour and weapons, he remains positively buoyant.

Diamond City Security is fighting a group of Super Mutants, but Percy has Mutant Slayer's Armor and a minigun, so he helps out.

The surviving guards are grateful and immediately start liking Percy.

Piper has been locked out, but she pretends Nate is a well-equipped trader while he simply stands there in silence.

Many characters comment on Percy's habit of abruptly walking away from conversations instead of saying goodbye.

Why would anyone go to Salem? A fair question.

The marketplace has a doctor! Percy gets his weakness cured, and his radiation poisoning removed.

He also finds a comic book in the schoolhouse, but it's some useless love magazine. Ugh. This city doesn't have a comic book store. Percy uses his Aquaboy powers to easily clean the water reservoir.

Level 9 perk: Medic (2 Intelligence)
Percy can put his big brain to use, healing twice as much and twice as fast from stimpaks.

A mercenary in the dive bar tells Percy about a nearby vault that sometimes lets people enter in exchange for three fusion cores. Percy is familiar with fetch quests, and is already carrying three cores in his large bag of loot for sale.

This guard stepped on a landmine during the Super Mutant fight, so Percy steals his stuff. His armour is a big upgrade, and his rifle is slightly more accurate than the automatic pistol Percy had been using.

Now Percy can relive his glory days as a catcher on the baseball team. He didn't hit hard, but he could catch for nine innings and still outrun all of his teammates. As a nerd, he loved all the statistics and different pitch types and outsmarting the hitter.

There are a few feral ghouls between Diamond City and Vault 81, but they're not a major problem. A prewar vault might have some prewar collectibles.

Inside the vault, the schoolteacher wants Percy to tell the children a story about life on the surface. (If Percy says that his stories might not be age-appropriate, Katy drops it and never brings it up again, making it impossible to complete this mini-quest.)

Percy stretches the truth, but the kids don't know the difference. It wouldn't be possible to tell this story honestly, since the only options are to claim Percy killed the deathclaw with a minigun or to claim he did it with three bullets from a pistol.

Grognak the Barbian #22, Demon Slaves, Demon Sands and still in readable condition! It may not benefit Percy's combat style, but it was definitely worth going to Vault 81 for this.

One of the students asks Percy to find her escaped cat, and he obliges. (This quest actually makes sense when accompanied by Dogmeat, since it explains why the player somehow knows exactly where to find Ashes.) When he returns to the vault, Ashes' owner is secured in her parents' store because a diseased mole rat somehow bit another child in the vault.

Level 10 perk: +1 Strength (Now 2)
A bit more carrying capacity is nice, though not essential, since Lone Wanderer provides as much carrying capacity as 5 points of Strength.

Finally, Percy checks Vault 81's shop and buys the Overseer's Guardian. This is a great automatic combat rifle that fires 2 shots with every bullet - when firing from the hip, they will travel in different trajectories, which increases the chance of a hit when firing randomly. It also has a night-vision scope, so it's a good weapon at long and short range. He also buys another sprinter's leg, making him 20% faster than a typical person.

What's next for Percy? Help the sick kid, follow the signs to the bright heart, find the Brotherhood in distress, or work in Diamond City?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

He looks the part, so do some work for diamond city.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Diamond work is good work.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
DC work!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Diamond City work.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A fellow collecting aficionado from Diamond City wants Percy to find a signed baseball, so he goes and retrieves it from an estate near Vault 81.

He also finds an actually useful comic, the very Unstoppables comic that introduced the nefarious Commie-Kazi! There's no way of knowing when this perk actually triggers instead of an enemy simply missing, but that tiny chance could save Percy's life someday.

Moe Cronin, whose name is a mix of 1930s players Joe Cronin and Moe Berg, has no idea what baseball actually was.

Vadim wants to murder Travis the radio DJ, and Percy is happy to go along with the plan. However, Vadim's brother says that it was just a joke.

Solomon the chems dealer sends Percy to find some mutated ferns to cook Radaway with.

Outside the gates, two Super Mutants are assaulting Diamond City with missile launchers. This is a fight best avoided.

The nuclear engine in an old truck goes critical, but somehow Diamond City Security all survive the encounter. Percy loots and sells the missile launchers.

The Overseer's Guardian scope turns night into day, and turns day into a weird green colour. It's a great gun at any range, and Percy kills these raiders from a safe distance.

Level 11 perk: Commando 2 (Level 11, 2 Agility)
This provides another 20% damage boost with automatics and a slight increase in accuracy when firing without aiming through the scope.

The bridge to the mutated fern swamp has this extremely suspicious trader surrounded by Gunner mercenaries. However, she turns out to be legit, and Percy buys a bit more ammunition.

Despite a radiation storm and feral ghoul attack, Percy retrieves the ferns and goes back to Diamond City.

In the classy Colonial Taphouse, the bartender beats up Paul Pembroke.

When Paul returns with a gun, Percy is surprisingly able to convince him to put it down. Henry describes his plan to ambush a chems deal and steal the money and drugs.

Henry apologizes for sleeping with Paul's wife on the way to the ambush.

With a scoped automatic weapon, Percy kills most of the thugs in an instant and then knocks down their leader.

When he tries to press her for information, she attacks, so Percy has to kill her.

Unfortunately for Paul, the only way for Percy to get all the drugs is to kill everyone else involved. Following FairGame's suggestion, Percy is going to take a lot of chems, and all of the perks that make chems last longer. He trades some of the Buffout for the Wastelander's Chest Piece, which has an upgrade that makes chems last 50% longer. (This isn't listed in the barter window, so I didn't even know about that effect)

With an automatic weapon and time slowed down by Jet, Percy can compensate for recoil and dump bullets into an enemy's skull with machine gun speed.

Edward Deegan finds Percy in Diamond City, deftly sidestepping the no-ghouls rule. His contract is essential to completing the main story without Power Armor, so Percy will have to get around to it eventually.

Travis is being bullied by the thugs Vadim sent to take a dive against Travis and help him gain more confidence. Percy enters the fight on Travis's side.

Bull and Gouger both focus on the big guy wearing armour, and Travis sucker-punches both of them in the back of the head. Bull angrily leaves while declaring that this is not over. A few minutes later, Percy hears that Vadim has been kidnapped.

Percy blames Travis for the kidnapping, which probably wouldn't have happened if he had fought more honourably. (This is the first time this quest has made sense to me - a fighter hired to lose a fight on purpose shouldn't get angry when he loses the fight. But getting sucker-punched for real was not part of the plan.)

Outside the brewery where Vadim is held hostage, Percy is pessimistic about Travis's chances as he prepares to fight in street clothes with a basic pistol.

Fortunately, an automatic rifle kills all the raiders before they can pose a real threat.

Percy finds another magazine, but it's just some boring stuff about building that he will never use.

Percy praises Travis for his bravery and ridicules Vadim's scheme. He has completed just about every Diamond City job.

Level 12 perk: Chemist (7 Intelligence)
This perk makes chems last 50% longer. That includes Radaway and the healing effects of food and water, although it doesn't improve Stimpaks. Jet will now make 6 real-time seconds seem like 20, which is enough time for Percy to fire all 20 shots from the Overseer's Guardian.

What's next for our protagonist? Take Mama Murphy's advice to find the bright heart, start some settlements, help the Brotherhood, or take Deegan's contract?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Take Deegan's contract. Lots of interesting stuff over that way.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Take Deegan's contract.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

As much as Percy could help Deegan, he should probably listen to the wise words of grandma on chems and seek the heart.

Following incoherent ramblings of a person hyped up on chems has never gone wrong, right? It's a tried and true method to success in life!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Percy blasts a route to Diamond City to sell his latest loot, and Vadim calmly walks back without ever needing to draw a weapon.

Dogmeat picks up some sweet armour, courtesy of a dead raider's attack dog.

Ah, Cabot House. One of the most heavily robot-defended locations in the Commonwealth.

Jack Cabot talks about his esoteric theories of aliens founding human civilization, which Percy scoffs at. The job is a simple matter of package retrieval in a dangerous corner in the northeast Commonwealth.

Percy picks up the Sea Captain's Hat which boosts his HP and sprinting ability. It's better protection than any helmet except a combat helmet.

Percy will have a decision to make: Keep wearing the nice hat, or look for a combat helmet to purchase?

There's a magazine in Bunker Hill but Percy isn't a fan of romance stories, and with his charisma he rarely persuades anyone to do anything.

He encounters a battle between Super Mutants and Raiders and kills both sides. He becomes addicted to Jet in the process, but this is no big deal - it slightly reduces his sprinting ability and how long he can hold his breath while aiming through a scope.

Level 13 perk: +1 Strength (Now 3)

This settlement on the way to Cabot's facility hire Percy to kill some raiders nearby. They're on the way, but Percy puts this fight on the back burner.

This Mr. Gutsy is one of the basic models with only a high-powered rifle, but it still puts the hurt on Percy so he runs away instead of fighting to the death.

Shortly afterwards, he is forced to flee from some tough raiders in his path but comes across three surprisingly well-armed settlers who are willing to help.

With the settlers drawing fire from the raiders, Percy is able to sprint into cover and shoot all the raiders dead.

The surviving settler is grateful. Percy tells her about the recently-cleared Starlight Drive-in near Sanctuary, and she goes to live there. Let's hope she avoids the big radioactive hole in the middle.

At a nearby tarberry-farming settlement, a legendary glowing bloatfly attacks. Percy kills it from a safe distance. Shooting into a crowd with a machine gun without accidentally shooting a friendly ghoul is difficult, but he pulls it off. The fly was carrying a hilariously useless poisonous rolling pin.

The guard captain at Cabot's fortress warns about the weird raiders who stole package from the murdered courier.

Their leader is a raider survivalist with the red skull of danger icon. Percy huffs Jet, hops out from behind a wall, and shoots her in the back until she dies. (My software failed to save this video for some reason, I apologize for the boring screenshot.)

Percy returns to Cabot House with the mysterious serum safely recovered from the gang. Dogmeat absorbs the blast from a Super Mutant Suicider.

The USS Constitution, rigged to fly, has crashed atop a bank. Perhaps Percy could help them without any explosive-laden, foreign-language-speaking companions to cause problems.

Finally, Percy spots a raider-infested drug den and shoots it up. He only needs one hit of Jet to kill the raiders within, and secures three more hits for himself!

Level 14 perk: Robotic Expert
Considering the threat of robots, this perk is worth a shot. If Percy can get up close to a hostile robot, he can hack into it and force it to shut down. That is, of course, a big "if".

What is the best choice of headwear? Sea Captain's hat, or a combat helmet?

What's next for Percy? Keep working for Deegan, help some settlers, talk to the robots, or seek the heart?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Stay stylish with the Sea Captain's Hat.

And since we have a sailor's hat on already, we might as well talk to the robots.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Talk to the robots. Percy may yet succeed where Nate failed.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Gotta wear your Sea Captain's Hat while you go to talk to the robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Gotta wear your Sea Captain's Hat while you go to talk to the robots.
2nd'd

Also wanted to chime in again how entertaining this thread is. The roguelike approach to F04 is fun to follow and I think you're presenting it very well!