Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, that's going to get thrown out immediately, otherwise all security cameras that record anything outside of the property, ATM cameras, Doorbell cameras, traffic cameras, and using a camera phone in public is going to be illegal.

I saw some nonsense that people think that if you have a video doorbell you need to have a sign up telling people.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/12/ring-smart-doorbell-camera-sign-consent.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

InitialDave posted:

The 2006 100HP one. What "mk" that is is open to interpretation, as sometimes the originals are termed mk1/mk2 to differentiate the later FIRE cars.

always wanted to drive one of those

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

Any Brits care to weigh in on the UK elections? As an ignorant American, I'm curious how you're feeling about it.

Apparently the labour party leader (their democrats...sort of) position on Brexit was: neutral. It sounds like the closest he got to opposing it was suggesting another vote. I'm guessing that didn't really motivate the remainers to get out and vote.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I'm looking for better headlamp bulbs for Brokeback Outback. Are Osram Nightbreakers/Nighthawks still the gold standard for "stock replacement that's a lot brighter, gently caress bulb life"? They're shockingly cheap on Amazon (likely because it uses an H1 for the low beam - which is normally a fog light bulb - and uses a typical low beam 9006 for the fog lamps :wtc:), though there's a couple of variants. Either way, :20bux: for a pair of +brighter bulbs isn't bad at all. The headlights on this thing, even after polishing, clear coating, and aiming, are "barely adequate for a 30 mph road" - the Saturn's 9007s lit up the road better even with yellowed housings. I suspect the bulbs are just old as dirt (they're noticeably blackened if you look at the actual bulb). Or did Osram decide to go ahead and enter the US market under Osram instead of Phillips?

It runs the low beams through a resistor as DRLs, so I don't exactly want to drop $50 per bulb. Disabling the DRLs is easy enough (a plug under the dash), but I'd rather keep them working.

T-Square posted:

Welp, the girlfriend went all in on sending an e-mail to her recruiter to forward to the hiring manager that just was just flat out open and honest about her situation. The recruiter withheld her cancer diagnosis (likely a good idea for the time being) but made sure the hiring manager was aware that she'll have routine appointments she has to go to. Sounds like they're more than alright with that, and she verbally accepted the job this morning. They're just working on getting details and a start date on paper.

Her recruiter wants to get paid. Either way, sounds like they're on her side. Sounds like a good compromise - "she has regular medical appointments that she'll need to attend during employment" sounds a lot more like "health issues that we can easily schedule around".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 13, 2019

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Galler posted:

Apparently the labour party leader (their democrats...sort of) position on Brexit was: neutral. It sounds like the closest he got to opposing it was suggesting another vote. I'm guessing that didn't really motivate the remainers to get out and vote.

Neutral is the most sensible position to have on Brexit. Brexit doesn't really matter aside from the fact that whichever government is in power will have a lot of responsibility in reshaping the country. I voted remain but I honestly dont care either way, but obviously it will be a shitstorm with the conservatives in power. I would rather leave the EU with a labour government in power than stay in with the conservatives if you get what I mean.

There are a lot of people who would rather remain no matter what and they're exactly the type of dickhead to vote for our useless centrist party the Liberal Democrats who are basically Tories in all but name and the fact that they pretend to get a bit squeamish about the Tories overt racisms

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

always wanted to drive one of those
It's an awful lot like a sporty kei car. Great fun, but not actually that fast.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Could use some hive mind advice.

So, I am 95% sure a 17-18 year old young woman in my martial arts class has a crush on me. I can get into the how I know if needed, but suffice to say I am pretty confident.

I am pretty sure I know why - I talk to her like an adult and joke a bit. In other words, pay attention to her treat her like the young adult she is and not a child.

Her parents are not young considering her age (if I had to guess, early/mid 60s?) and seem fairly protective. I think she may be fairly sheltered (I know she lives on an acreage outside of town) and doesn't get out tons. I wouldn't be surprised if she might have a bit of a thing for older men because of her fathers age.. but that's just a total guess. I am in my mid 40s. And married, which I am pretty sure she knows.

Should I just let it run its course and let her grow out of it totally on her own and continue as normal? Or should I maybe actively avoid interacting with her unless necessary?

I don't want actively shun her or anything, it's not like she's done anything outwardly wrong or made anything awkward in class. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't either, she's a good person and quite mature, but I certainly don't want her to think I can reciprocate anything.

I'm leaning towards to just keep going as normal and let her grow out of it on her own, but maybe make sure I'm not saying/doing anything that could easily be taken as some other signal... which is kind of what I've been doing all along but maybe be extra careful?

Thoughts? I've never been is a position like this before. Should I even care?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

Neutral is the most sensible position to have on Brexit. Brexit doesn't really matter aside from the fact that whichever government is in power will have a lot of responsibility in reshaping the country. I voted remain but I honestly dont care either way, but obviously it will be a shitstorm with the conservatives in power. I would rather leave the EU with a labour government in power than stay in with the conservatives if you get what I mean.

Why would you want to leave the EU at all?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

slidebite posted:

So, I am 95% sure a 17-18 year old young woman in my martial arts class has a crush on me. I can get into the how I know if needed, but suffice to say I am pretty confident.

I am pretty sure I know why - I talk to her like an adult and joke a bit. In other words, pay attention to her treat her like the young adult she is and not a child.

Her parents are not young considering her age (if I had to guess, early/mid 60s?) and seem fairly protective. I think she may be fairly sheltered (I know she lives on an acreage outside of town) and doesn't get out tons. I wouldn't be surprised if she might have a bit of a thing for older men because of her fathers age.. but that's just a total guess. I am in my mid 40s. And married, which I am pretty sure she knows.

Should I just let it run its course and let her grow out of it totally on her own and continue as normal? Or should I maybe actively avoid interacting with her unless necessary?

I don't want actively shun her or anything, it's not like she's done anything outwardly wrong or made anything awkward in class. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't either, she's a good person and quite mature, but I certainly don't want her to think I can reciprocate anything.

I'm leaning towards to just keep going as normal and let her grow out of it on her own, but maybe make sure I'm not saying/doing anything that could easily be taken as some other signal... which is kind of what I've been doing all along but maybe be extra careful?

Let it run it's course. If anything you're probably helping to keep other dudes her age out of her pants.
Just be sure to cover your rear end of course. Always have a witness.
Don't be weird. Don't be creepy. Don't bring it up. If she tries anything, shut it the gently caress down right then and there.

Also, don't break her heart because it's martial arts class and she might give you a swift kick to the nuts.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

You Am I posted:

Just got this in the mail (arrived at my place at 7:30pm):

I just ordered this! I’m on tenterhooks!

In other news this is how much extra poo poo I got in my new Si

And the receipts for every single thing from the past five years

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What's his username?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wrar posted:

Why would you want to leave the EU at all?
Because then you're free to gently caress over the British populace as feeds into your own benefit or personal politics.

If you mean us specifically, UK AI forum posters, pretty clear at this point that we don't!

The real issue I take with it is that leaving the EU is a "forever" problem - we have better terms to our membership than you'd get joining afresh, even if rejoining were a possibility in the future, so unlike most other political decisions and general elections etc, it's very hard to take a philosophical "ah well, we'll get the opportunity to vote the fuckers back out at the next one" attitude.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
How are you going to sell the NHS to american insurance companies if there's EU consumer protections in place?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Let it run it's course. If anything you're probably helping to keep other dudes her age out of her pants.
Just be sure to cover your rear end of course. Always have a witness.
Don't be weird. Don't be creepy. Don't bring it up. If she tries anything, shut it the gently caress down right then and there.

Also, don't break her heart because it's martial arts class and she might give you a swift kick to the nuts.
I think that's a plan.

We're never alone or more than 20' away from others because, well, it's a class, but I've never even really thought of that before even though I should have.

I think I'll just keep the status quo unless something happens which seems to escalate it.

And yeah, she's a legit full dan adult black belt. She can definitely take care of herself.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slidebite posted:

I've taught for a number of years and I've seen things like that before. Running its course is the best way. If you have anyone higher up to report to, it never hurts to let them know what's happening and how you're proceeding.

Just hope that she doesn't get pushy like the one that kept emailing me wanting to "unconventionally meet me" after class. lol

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

meatpimp posted:

"unconventionally meet me" after class. lol

What, like the back of a Volkswagen?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Anyone want a Clarion MAX960HD double din head unit thats set to Japanese and doesn't have the dumb unlock code?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do you mean it needs an unlock code to change it from the japanese language setting?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pretty sure he means the anti-theft unlock code.

Even so, I think Japanese terrestrial radios are different frequencies than North America so its usability for Canada/US would probably only be good for CDs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

japan is even frequencies, us is odd (91.4 vs 91.3 MHz) and the bands overlap but not quite entirely

fm radios that can tune 0.1Mhz or less per 'click' should be mostly ok, which would include old school analog tuning models

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Now my dad wants me to shop for rx8s for him.

:sigh:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Now my dad wants me to shop for rx8s for him.

:sigh:

Step one: LS motor

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

RADL ASSEMBLE

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm imagining a really high-pitched MegaZord, only it fails to assemble before apex seals go everywhere.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Adiabatic posted:

I'm imagining a really high-pitched MegaZord, only it fails to assemble before apex seals go everywhere.

It assembles just fine, but as it revs up and starts moving at high speed, it spits apex seals out of its rear end, then a little fire, sputters, and stops.

Edit: why, yes, I *do* own a rotary. Several in fact. Why do you ask?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

slidebite posted:

Let it run its course. Be sure that you have clear boundaries in your mind of what is acceptable to you, not that you need to vocalize it but at least have an internal standard. Keep personal space clear outside of whatever it is you do in your martial arts class. If you find yourself having chatty conversations then talk about good things with your spouse/kids that could send a signal of ‘hi, I’m very married and committed’.

That’s at least how I would handle it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

WE BECOME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjwwV20iZYE

ALL WHO LS SWAP MAZDAS WILL BE FED AS A SACRIFICE

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

WE BECOME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjwwV20iZYE

ALL WHO LS SWAP MAZDAS WILL BE FED AS A SACRIFICE
That just sounds like a wet fart. Give me an LSCoyote any day.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Oh god I work outside...

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Didn't realize that was in C at first and was like well.. at least it isn't as cold as it is here. Yeah that's too hot to be working outside. Please drink lots of water and eat salty stuff.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

That just sounds like a wet fart. Give me an LSCoyote any day.

Turn your speakers on and stop eating Taco Bell

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm torn on the UK labour party at the moment, while there are an enormous number of people for whom Corbyn was the problem, that stems from the billionaires owning our media pouring non-stop poison on anyone who doesn't represent their interests. Whoever replaces Corbyn will be walking into a torrent of that vitriol every moment of their political careers. Their stance on brexit was sensible but it's clear the masses don't want a sensible choice anymore. They want to be told what they want as long as it's jingoism and lets them peel back the sheets to display the racism that seems to be hiding in all of them.

There also seems to be an enormous number of people that have been persuaded that Brexit is a great idea and they're just loving idiots. I work for a company that sells 85% of its product to the EU. We have other plants in the EU. If we leave, we won't get our current product replaced at the end of its lifecycle as it'd make greater financial sense to use the factories in the EU rather than pay tariffs on materials going out then product coming back in. Some are even aware the plant might shut but think they'll just get another job, good luck with that when there's no manufacturing industry left anywhere.

I have more, but it's exhausting just trying to process it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm torn on the UK labour party at the moment, while there are an enormous number of people for whom Corbyn was the problem
Bluntly, it's the Hillary/Trump thing all over again. If you have a leader who is unpalatable to the majority of the electorate, and you engage with the people who are a sure bet for your stances and policies rather than trying to win over those who are a potential swing, you will lose. No amount of people who do like (or at least are willing to tolerate) Corbyn talking about why he's the right choice will change that.

This is something Labour need to confront head-on if they want to regain traction as a party. The British public do not want Corbyn or the current iteration of the Labour Party, and just like with feeding kids cabbage or vegans trying to get people to stop eating meat, any level of "but it's good for you" will do bugger all to change that, and they will continue to get a kicking.

There also seems to be an enormous number of people that have been persuaded that Brexit is a great idea and they're just loving idiots.
Yuuup.

You can't even make the argument that people didn't vote (in the referendum) for a bunch of self-serving knobs to deliver a rubbish interpretation of the pie-in-the-shy Brexit fantasy they were promised. With this general election, they just have voted for that.

I have more, but it's exhausting just trying to process it.
I long hit the point of trying not to discuss Brexit stuff online much, as it's just too exhausting and combative.

The funny thing is, I'm not actually opposed to Brexit on principle. I don't inherently "want" to be in/out of the EU - IF someone had a Brexit agreement they could put in front of me that actually did what Brexit supporters claim Brexit will achieve, all thought out and agreed, and achievable, I'd probably not object to it much. I'm opposed to Brexit because no-one has that, no-one is going to get that, and I've not seen a single thing to make me believe it'll be anything other than a total clusterfuck that will shaft millions of people in a variety of ways both large and small.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

The second worst part is that it's agonisingly obvious to anyone even half paying attention to the situation that it's just a ploy to break the UK away from the EU's consumer protections and regulations that benefit the everyman in order to enrichen a select few corrupt assholes.

The absolute worst part for me is that everyone is just talking about the economics of the situation, but the EU actually has another, more important function. That of maintaining peace and stability, which it has done successfully for the most part since it's inception. Being part of a greater whole gives a sense of unity that is subtle but important. There have been no wars inside the EU, which we can all agree is a pretty drastic change from the first half of the 20th century. As someone with strong connections to Poland and who knows how it was there in the late 80s and 90s (not to mention the huge scars the country still has today) it's pretty loving obvious to me that peace isn't something that should be taken for granted. I also have zero doubt that Brexit is being supported by the Russians in the same way as Trump is, as a destabilised, fractured West is something that benefits them more than anything else.

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 14, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Adiabatic posted:

I can't tell if this is my dad's version of a late midlife crisis.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

slidebite posted:

Is she hot?

Seriously, how old are we that all you got were wise and mature answers? Hehehehe.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

LloydDobler posted:

Seriously, how old are we that all you got were wise and mature answers? Hehehehe.

Old enough to recognize that the employment and legal consequences are enough to trigger cover-your-rear end mode. :v:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

InitialDave posted:

Bluntly, it's the Hillary/Trump thing all over again. If you have a leader who is unpalatable to the majority of the electorate, and you engage with the people who are a sure bet for your stances and policies rather than trying to win over those who are a potential swing, you will lose. No amount of people who do like (or at least are willing to tolerate) Corbyn talking about why he's the right choice will change that.

This is something Labour need to confront head-on if they want to regain traction as a party. The British public do not want Corbyn or the current iteration of the Labour Party, and just like with feeding kids cabbage or vegans trying to get people to stop eating meat, any level of "but it's good for you" will do bugger all to change that, and they will continue to get a kicking.

This is a stupid argument, no offense, cuz it's got nothing to do with Corbyn specifically and everything to do with the fact that hes the current leader of the labour party. You ask anyone why they dont like Corbyn and all you get is parrotted Daily Mail soundbites. Theres not a single person in the world that the labour party could put as their leader that wont get slated by the press. We live in a country where the entirety of the media is controlled by right-wing interests. Even the Guardian hems and haws over Corbyn

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
As of an hour ago, and in the words of the "wise" Scott Weiland: I'm half the man I used to be.

It's going to be a fun weekend of trying to avoid kids crawling all over me and hiding in the basement for periods of time. Maybe I'll even try and finish throwing together my new pc I've been building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the advice. You all sound like I was going to do - just let it run its course but keep an eye on it. She's a super good person and I really don't want to bring it up to anyone and make her feel super awkward or embarrassed (or break her heart and have her out to kill me).

LloydDobler posted:

Is she hot?
I know you're joking, but I genuinely haven't thought of her that way. I'd say she's certainly cute. If I had a son and he brought her home I'd be totally proud of him but also worried a smidgen. A totally normal 18 year old but a black belt and in better physical shape than 99% of people on the planet (our year long strength/stamina testing regime preparing for BB is crazy and frankly scares me a bit as I'll probably start it late next year).

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 14, 2019