Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea sure and when has the mind controlled person ever won, except temporarily? The answer to “what happens if there’s some contrived reason they fight” is “the writer writers a way out of the contrivance”

I mean, if not messing with the status quo too bad is important you could have some sort of parallel timeline or alternate Earth or something where decisions were made differently or events had more lasting consequences. But that's pretty farfetched for a comic book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

twistedmentat posted:

I was disappointed that when Ollie became the Spector, he didn't grow giant and naked.

Only the guys on Titans are allowed to be naked. The sole redeeming feature of that show IMO

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They had some rando extras show off their boobs in one episode of season 2.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

They had some rando extras show off their boobs in one episode of season 2.

Whenever the topic of nudity on television arises, I will always hear the gravelly voice of Edward James Olmos whispering “Zoom in on the cock. Zoom in on the cock.”

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While Titans isn't exactly a great show at least their casting department is progressive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

While Titans isn't exactly a great show at least their casting department is progressive.

Anna Diop is an actual goddess.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

Never underestimate Lex Luthor's ability to Lex Luthor all over the goddamn place.

*ll cool j voice* then Lex Luthor goes all, LEX LUTHOOOOOOOOOOR

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Killer robot posted:

I mean, if not messing with the status quo too bad is important you could have some sort of parallel timeline or alternate Earth or something where decisions were made differently or events had more lasting consequences. But that's pretty farfetched for a comic book.

To be fair, as well, the 'throw into the sun' example posted earlier is explicity supposed to be Injustice Superman, who is a big ol' fascist nutbar.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Lord Bude posted:

Only the guys on Titans are allowed to be naked. The sole redeeming feature of that show IMO

I haven't seen Titans season 2 yet. So, they went from gently caress BATMAN to swingin' dong?

I like Kate and Kara being BFFs, they can do a Word's Finest crossover with them at some point.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 13, 2019

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Insert the flash "I see time in impossibly small time segments therefore in theory I instantly win any fight ever" image

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its without question that from the second Kate/Batwoman debuted in the Arrowverse they saw the "World's Finest" thing and started playing to it as a contrast to Barry and Oliver's "Brave and Bold." We'll have to see how things shake out post Crisis and if they're on the same world, but I would expect to see them team up again before next year's crossover (assuming there's another big one and they don't just decide to tone it down for awhile).

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

tbh the thing I'm hoping we get post-Crises is an increase in smaller crossovers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So the fact that they got rid of every universe definitely makes it seem like we're going to end up with one unified universe for the main characters.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watchmen made a cameo in the form of a billboard during the hell segment.

https://twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/1204824429739380736?s=20

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Watchmen made a cameo in the form of a billboard during the hell segment.

https://twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/1204824429739380736?s=20

Guggenheim must be the nicest person ever because everyone seems to be willing to work with him to do something.

Also, it must be somewhat satisfying as an actor/creator to be remember for a one season show and to have so many people want to honor it. Seriously, I barely remember the 90s Flash series but remember having fun with it as a kid and it must be just nice to know that your work isn't forgotten.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 14, 2019

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I haven't seen Titans season 2 yet. So, they went from gently caress BATMAN to swingin' dong?

I like Kate and Kara being BFFs, they can do a Word's Finest crossover with them at some point.

No dong yet sadly, just rear end. But Superboy has a super rear end; and a propensity for wandering around naked. Unfortunately in addition to lacking dong, the show also lacks: Cohesion, logical plot points, plot progression of any kind really and characters behaving in a manner consistent with the basic norms of sentient individuals.

It does have a singing and dancing middle aged Bruce Wayne hallucination in Dick's head though.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 14, 2019

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, it must be somewhat satisfying as an actor/creator to be remember for a one season show and to have so many people want to honor it. Seriously, I barely remember the 90s Flash series but remember having fun with it as a kid and it must be just nice to know that your work isn't forgotten.

Yeah. He's had a decent career beyond 90s Flash, but it's cool it went from "We want you for a recurring role as Barry's Dad" to "We want you to play Silver Age Flash in a few cameos" to "We want you to reprise your role and costume for a small crossover event" to "We're making your classic character the lynchpin of the biggest television comic book event ever as your swan song."

Maybe they weren't big roles, but it's really cool that JWS got to do all those things and was great at it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, when he first showed up I had no great attachment, it was just the goofy fun of the callback to a random show I kinda, sorta remembered. But Shipp's journey on Flash became something that got me really attacked to the actor and role and that really felt like a goodbye to the actor and his extended role with Henry dead and Jay "retired" (and erased from existence without a cameo).

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Speedsters don't die, they just get absorbed into the speed force. Except Nora.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bentacos posted:

Speedsters don't die, they just get absorbed into the speed force. Except Nora.

Speed Hell.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Speed Hell.

He's not wrong...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Lord Bude posted:

No dong yet sadly, just rear end. But Superboy has a super rear end; and a propensity for wandering around naked. Unfortunately in addition to lacking dong, the show also lacks: Cohesion, logical plot points, plot progression of any kind really and characters behaving in a manner consistent with the basic norms of sentient individuals.

It does have a singing and dancing middle aged Bruce Wayne hallucination in Dick's head though.

That kinda sucks. I liked season 1 once it got going but 2 just sounds like a mess.

And I could see a Worlds Finest being a just a crossover between Supergirl and Batwoman. Hell, I'd love for them to do a Public Enemies with Cryer's Lex being President and Kate and Kara being on the run. Plus they can bring Hawkman back so they can beat the poo poo out of him.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Rhyno posted:

Speed Hell.

Isn't that just the place people end up as a result of Barry loving up the timelines?

Maybe she can play giant jenga with Cisco's brother.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

That kinda sucks. I liked season 1 once it got going but 2 just sounds like a mess.

And I could see a Worlds Finest being a just a crossover between Supergirl and Batwoman. Hell, I'd love for them to do a Public Enemies with Cryer's Lex being President and Kate and Kara being on the run. Plus they can bring Hawkman back so they can beat the poo poo out of him.

Yeah season 2 kinda...stopped going. It wasn’t American Gods season 2 level stagnation but it wasn’t too far off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah season 2 kinda...stopped going. It wasn’t American Gods season 2 level stagnation but it wasn’t too far off.

I tried watching season 1 of American Gods, and its just Shadow and Wednesday go meet some weirdos, we find out who they are, then they go to another weirdo and find out who they are. Interspaced with some random seeming scenes. I read the book almost 25 years ago, but I don't remember it being so meandering. It almost felt like the writers were more in love with the idea of Old Gods living in the Modern World.

Also dicks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Mortanis posted:

Yeah. He's had a decent career beyond 90s Flash, but it's cool it went from "We want you for a recurring role as Barry's Dad" to "We want you to play Silver Age Flash in a few cameos" to "We want you to reprise your role and costume for a small crossover event" to "We're making your classic character the lynchpin of the biggest television comic book event ever as your swan song."

Maybe they weren't big roles, but it's really cool that JWS got to do all those things and was great at it.
Whether intentionally or not, this crossover really captures my favorite thing about the DC universe, which is the concept of legacy. There were heroes before the ones today and there will be heroes after.

The 90s Flash...from what little bit I remember and can glean on youtube...is pretty much just this silly little camp procedural that lasted twenty-two episodes max. But these shows today treat it almost reverentially, with a ton of respect for the characters involved to the point of setting up this heroic sacrifice complete with flashback to love interest. It doesn't matter how low budget dated the old show was; it's what came before now and that alone makes it cool.

It -- again, intentionally or not -- mirrors the ideal DC Comics attitude towards its golden age and silver age heroes. Those guys were weird campy spandex-clad vigilantes who fought other weirdos and muggers instead of the great mythic cosmic horrors around today, but they're still the ones who paved the way and are just as valid as the big-time A-listers around today.

Y'know...ideally.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I will always appreciate how American Gods filmed at House on the Rock which isn't too far from where I live.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So I get the joke is that nobody thinks Clark Kent is Superman just because he wears glasses, but I'm a little puzzled that Lex hasn't figured it out after stalking Kara for a whole season, getting his hands on the Book of Destiny and then killing countless other Supermans.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He did figure it out, he jokes was that in all the multiverses it's Clark but not the moron Clark on his home Earth. What's your gripe with that?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There is a comic where Lex builds a computer to complete every iota of data on Superman to figure out who he is and when it finishes and spits out Clark Kent hes all "This piece of poo poo doesn't work!!!".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I still love the one where he turns into Barry Allen and has no idea who the gently caress he is.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

GreenNight posted:

He did figure it out, he jokes was that in all the multiverses it's Clark but not the moron Clark on his home Earth. What's your gripe with that?

I thought the line was something like "I can't believe the Superman this Earth is Clark Kent. On my world he can't even see past his own glasses." Meaning that he buys into his "disguise".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnD4trB-RA&t=118s

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 14, 2019

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah Lex says "in this universe, Superman is Clark Kent" which seems to imply that's the only universe he made that connection in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It kind of helps to obfuscate when the other Clark Kents don't look like his Clark Kent.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Q_res posted:

Yeah Lex says "in this universe, Superman is Clark Kent" which seems to imply that's the only universe he made that connection in.

iirc its lampshaded even harder than that, the actual line goes something like:

wow, it's crazy that Clark Kent in this universe is Superman, if you could see the bespectacled nerd Clark Kent from my universe *sensible chuckle*...well, back to my spellbook

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I interpret it as Lex's extreme arrogance and narcisisism. He can't process that Clark Kent is Superman because that would mean he's been getting fooled by this dumb idiot he has no respect for for years because he put on a pair of glasses and pretended to be clumsy. No, no. That can't be true. That would make Lex look like an idiot. That would mean Superman had made a fool of him. Not Superman. Clark Kent? That idiot? No. Its impossible. THIS Clark Kent is Superman but its just an insane freak difference. The other Supermen are Clark Kent? Its all an absurd coincidence. The universe's cruel joke. Not my Clark Kent. He can't outsmart Lex Luthor. He can't make a fool of Lex Luthor. No one makes a fool of Lex Luthor!

scene

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

GreenNight posted:

I still love the one where he turns into Barry Allen and has no idea who the gently caress he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qy4EIvvVj4

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Now that the universe is rebooting, I say it's time to shake the shows up.

Legends can stay as it is. AS IT IS. That means with Routh and Ford.

Dissolve Flash. Put Ralph and Cecile on their own show called "Private Dicks". Iris and Joe can join them. Maybe Killer Frost since I do like her and Ralph bouncing off each other.

I haven't seen Arrow in a few years, but put Diggle and Alex together on a show called "Dropping Bodies". Anyone else that can kick rear end can go here.

David Harewood, Carl Lumbly, and Phil LaMarr go to "My Favorite Martians" of course. I have no idea what this show is about but I just like these folks too much not to keep a show about them.

Superman, Lex, and Lois on their own show. Thankfully this seems to be happening. Co-starring Benoist with food reactions.

Black Lightning is probably best off by itself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Arrow is ending and a spinoff is maybe happening. I don't know if that's been picked up beyond the pilot yet or not. But the CW has invested a lot of time and money into it and Kat McNamara is very popular and very pretty so it's likely getting at least a season. We'll likely see more Arrowverse shows in the next two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

STAC Goat posted:

"No one makes a fool of Lex Luthor!"

scene

Then the Monitor breaches in Michael Rosenbaum and I scream so hard I destroy this universe

scene