Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

adamantium|wang posted:

Double flamer Hellhounds with track guards are absolutely fantastic.

I agree with the track guards. If you're not taking track guards on your hellhounds then what are you even doing? But I've also found that the heavy flamer isn't worth its points on the hellhound, it costs enough to tick the vehicle's price to a bit too high for my liking for my merry suicide bombers. You get 1, maybe 2 shots off before it either dies or gets wrapped until it dies, and sticking with the bolter keeps the price down and gives you some more ranged shots before either if those two inevitable outcomes happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Reading that goonhammer article confirmed what I was afraid of: Necrons got nothing, really.

I'm not really sold on dropping arks for heavy destroyers (though I could see a unit sneaking in) but I'm experimenting with the Deceiver and will let you all know where it goes.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
In case I'm missing something, am I understanding this right: Inquisitor Karamazov is on a giant walking throne. Despite this, he can hitch a ride in a Rhino or a Chimera and take up just one space?

Edit: Never mind, just noticed he has the vehicle keyword, doh.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Kitchner posted:

In case I'm missing something, am I understanding this right: Inquisitor Karamazov is on a giant walking throne. Despite this, he can hitch a ride in a Rhino or a Chimera and take up just one space?

Edit: Never mind, just noticed he has the vehicle keyword, doh.

It is a plastic doll of a russian.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I painted some traitor guard from the Blackstone Fortress box today for fun. Used a mix of contrasts (cloth, organics) and very basic base/wash/drybrush for the metals. I think they came up pretty good for a quick job, but still will probably get around to putting more detail on the bases.

The models are really cool, full of detail and I'd love to use them for something. Apparently they make a decent kill team? Might have to get the rules and learn.

bonus Stygies enginseer done the same way

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The wood furniture on the cultists' weapons is great. Reminds me of surplus Soviet-bloc weapons.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Can I just say how much I've been appreciating the existence of goonhammer recently, you guys have been knocking it out the park.

World eaters modelling question, I want to make a unit of red butcher terminators and I was wondering how you guys might go about it. If I bought a couple of boxes of the new chaos terminators and some forgeworld chainaxes would there be enough combi bolters in the kit for all 10? Combi bolters/chainaxes is the way to go right? Any kit bashing suggestions to make them more world eater-y?

Also is it even remotely a good idea to build a unit of chosen with thunder hammers because while the idea is hilarious and the modelling fun, I suspect it might be insanely terrible.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Floppychop posted:

The wood furniture on the cultists' weapons is great. Reminds me of surplus Soviet-bloc weapons.

Same. Also why I spent way too much on a Vostroyan detachment I have no real use for.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Two Beans posted:

It is a plastic doll of a russian.

Due to ongoing self hatred I wrote a grey Knights list and combined Castellan Crow with Soul Purge with Inquisitor Coteaz with Terrify and realised with Terrify giving -1 leadership and Coteaz giving Crow a leadership of 10 even a Ld8 unit would be on 7 vs 10 when you roll a D6 to see how many mortal wounds it caused. Then realised Karamazov would be even better because he gives Ld11 to Crowe, and automatically gives -1 to leadership but he won't keep up.

It's a shame too because I love his model but can't find an excuse to get it again after I had the metal version, dropped it, shattered it into pieces, and apparently it's gone missing.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

My GRC so far, 90 grots strong

Led by the Red Gobbo

I converted the herder since GRC wouldn’t be ‘led’ by an ork

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

I painted some traitor guard from the Blackstone Fortress box today for fun. Used a mix of contrasts (cloth, organics) and very basic base/wash/drybrush for the metals. I think they came up pretty good for a quick job, but still will probably get around to putting more detail on the bases.

The models are really cool, full of detail and I'd love to use them for something. Apparently they make a decent kill team? Might have to get the rules and learn.

bonus Stygies enginseer done the same way

dang, these guys have so much flavor you can almost taste the dust

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Finished painting my Astra Militarum Killteam, the new improved one inspired by the Goonhammer tactics article, AKA load up on special weapons

So now I've moved onto painting the grey knights mostly for fun rather than thinking I'd win games of 40K with them, here is the justicar:

I have the rest of a strike squad box to finish painting, and I bought Draigo and Crowe to paint after that. Should be a good challenge.

While digging around my stuff I also found these dudes:

I wonder if they are worth anything. Unless it's a lot I'm more inclined to give them to someone who will do a good job of painting them.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If they could make like, Chaos Guard "upgrade" kits to the Cadian box and the general Guard tanks, and then based a Chaos Guard codex off these models (not the garbage Renegades index), I'd be pretty happy with that, like this would be pretty low-effort but appropriate given that Chaos Guard are usually just regulars that deserted the main force and they'd just need a few Chaos-looking bits and decorations to play the part

Lowest-effort, easiest way Games Workshop can bring us Chaos Guard proper: small "codex" like the assassins one or whatever, upgrade kits, boxing the existing renegade commander and chaos ogryns, and then instead of regimental doctrines you pick a Chaos covenant or just go undivided (to represent unaligned renegades) and the Chaos keyword lets you ally in Chaos marines and daemons

Why can't they just do that lmao

goose willis fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 14, 2019

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

I wonder if they are worth anything. Unless it's a lot I'm more inclined to give them to someone who will do a good job of painting them.

drat, these rule

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
great models and painting

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 8, 2020

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

There should just be more grot units. I've been wondering howd you do Fanatics in 40k. Maybe suicide bombers?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Hey has there been any goonhammer articles on Tyranids in killteam?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Hihohe posted:

There should just be more grot units. I've been wondering howd you do Fanatics in 40k. Maybe suicide bombers?

I saw some converted tank bustas made from the new fanatics.

It was on Pinterest and I don’t have an account so good speed finding it ever again with their awful UX

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Life is good

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 8, 2020

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kitchner posted:

These are the old Goff Rockers. They were still being sold until fairly recently, I think - seem to be on eBay for £35-50.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The Goff Rockers came in a blister pack of 3. The third one has a slash hat and a microphone. New in a blister, they sell for ~$70 on ebay. Pieced out, presumably they would go for a little less.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I really want to make a Da Revolushun grit army but I am poor and don’t have anything and also have no free time.

Plus horde orks suck and Legends makes them worse.

Give ork infantry a 6+ fnp and make painboys improve fnp saves by 1 to a max of 4+ or something.

Also fix the clan that gives a 6+ fnp to something good.

I agree with everything except for the hordes/legends statement.

Yeah marines in tactical doctrine just make boyz disappear, but what does legends have to do with that?

A universal 6+++ would match fluff pretty well.

I was recently gifted a BA army, and I'm looking at these Death Company and just seeing how beautiful boyz could be.
They even have a turn one strat version of Da Jump. If only Death Company could Mob Up, and were Xenos instead of filthy loyalists.

Yeah yeah elites instead of troops, but still.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A FESTIVE SKELETON posted:

Hey has there been any goonhammer articles on Tyranids in killteam?

Not yet

https://www.goonhammer.com/kill-team-tactics-your-guide-to-getting-better-at-warhammer-40000-kill-team/#Xenos

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

slut chan posted:

I agree with everything except for the hordes/legends statement.

Yeah marines in tactical doctrine just make boyz disappear, but what does legends have to do with that?

Yeah, Orks actually came out fairly okay from the Legends changeover. Most of what was lost were legacy units that weren't seeing much play. Mega Armored Warboss was a great unit, and a lot of fun to kitbash, but it rarely saw any appearance in tournament lists. The one big loss was Big Mek on warbike, but that's mitigated by the foot Mek with KFF sticking around.

Legends didn't really take much of the strength of the faction. Most of the issues orks have now come from Marines being a hard counter to hordes of boyz, which is where most of the ork army's strength comes from. If orks can't get value from 30-boy units, then the current ork meta is going to suffer.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Have we received confirmation that regular mek with KFF is sticking around?

I agree it makes sense because it was included in the update but I haven’t seen confirmation one way or the other.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 8, 2020

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Well it wasn't included in Legends, so that's a start.

Edit: oh "updates" means Legends. Yeah, there aren't many things that were index only that weren't included in Legends, so it is a bit of a grey area, but being included in CA for the first time kinda legitimizes it a bit.

slut chan fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 15, 2019

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Many competitive ork lists used index Hq options.

Have we received confirmation that regular mek with KFF is sticking around?

I agree it makes sense because it was included in the update but I haven’t seen confirmation one way or the other.

They used index options, but specifically Bike Boss, Big Mek with KFF, Bike Mek, and occasionally a Mek with minimal wargear for CP farming. Bike Boss was not included in Legends, and was moved into the FW list in CA. Basic Big Mek was moved to Legends, but the KFF option was not included, and a Big Mek with KFF was included in CA. We're still waiting for clarification from GW, but it's most likely the same unit. Bike Mek is the biggest loss, since it gave you a more durable and mobile KFF. Stripped down mek wasn't played very often, but it was occasionally useful. The other index HQ, Warboss in Mega Armor, almost never made it to tourney lists (though it was a fun-as-hell model to kitbash).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Maneck posted:

The Goff Rockers came in a blister pack of 3. The third one has a slash hat and a microphone. New in a blister, they sell for ~$70 on ebay. Pieced out, presumably they would go for a little less.

Just seen a full blister pack on ebay for like £40, so I think I'll just give them to someone who will appreciate them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I didn't realize the CSMs in Dark Vengeance were Chosen and not just regular CSMs. Oh well, they're going to make bitchin' Champions.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The one with a cape and the power maul held out makes a pretty sweet Dark Apostle

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
They’re great sculpts. I personally feel the recent basic CSM sculpts are underwhelming compared to them. 10,000 year old veterans looking cleaner than just gone rogue Marines? Ok then.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
How do the DV Chosen compare to the more recent CSM sculpts for scale?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

How do the DV Chosen compare to the more recent CSM sculpts for scale?

They hold up fine once you put them on 32s. A bit shorter but a bit more thicc

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

goose willis posted:

The one with a cape and the power maul held out makes a pretty sweet Dark Apostle

And it was a great base for converting up a Plaguecaster.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Fake James posted:

And it was a great base for converting up a Plaguecaster.

That’s a great conversion! That loving sorcerer and his Nurgling baby :swoon:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
2019 dot jpeg

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

richyp posted:

2019 dot jpeg

I thought that was your typical weekend.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh yeah, I need to do that as well but I have one more model to finish painting before I can consider my painting year over with.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I thought that was your typical weekend.

Listen man, it's been a busy year, new job and kids etc... I'll try harder next year ok.

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh yeah, I need to do that as well but I have one more model to finish painting before I can consider my painting year over with.

I'll probably paint some more stuff this year but I'll just roll them into next year's photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Is it already time to do the 2019 things?