Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Ice Phisherman posted:

So I remember posting something roughly two weeks ago about magical thinking and evangelicals. How people can convince themselves that magic is real and how this can convince them to do violence with the right priming. It wasn't very well received.

This is along the lines that I was warning about. The violence. The cruelty. Not all of evangelicalism is white supremacy, but that's it's core. It is a theology which exults violence and cruelty and ethno-supremacy. At the dawn of the violent regime change, the indigenous flag of Bolivia was first lowered, then symbolically burned. Indigenous people were raped and murdered and beaten in the streets. Their homes were burned down by the police and military. Even though half of Bolivia is ethnically indigenous, evangelical Christianity has bonded the whites into a fascist right wing government which tore down democracy in order to gain power. That magical thinking allows them to twist their beliefs into whatever serves them and animates them towards political action- And sometimes towards violent action. Whatever serves the needs of power becomes the message. And if you peek into the history of the modern evangelical movement in America, it was always, ALWAYS about ethno-supremacy, hatred. Only later when that gained no traction did they start talking about abortion. Not because they believed it, but because it worked. And that "pro-life" message has remained one of the most durable myths of this religion of hate.

Given the chance, evangelicals will absolutely do the same thing in America. There is nothing that they won't do if they feel like they can get away with it. If it advances their violent, hateful, authoritarian causes. If there is anything Christian about the modern evangelical movement, it's the parable of the wolf in sheep's clothing. They skinned Christ to fit in among actual well-meaning believers.

If you're the right race and male, you'll be welcomed with open arms. And as a woman, you'll be welcomed as well because the movement is dying (in America) and they want children desperately. Then begins the control. Then begins the shame. Anything to get their hooks in you. The men too, but their methods of control are different.

Evangelicalism is a plague. It needs to be ripped up root and stem and cast into the fire. When given a free hand and when it grasps at politics, this is what happens. And it will happen elsewhere too if they are not opposed.

Remember when you were insanely racist a few pages ago?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Ice Phisherman posted:

So I remember posting something roughly two weeks ago about magical thinking and evangelicals. How people can convince themselves that magic is real and how this can convince them to do violence with the right priming. It wasn't very well received.

This is along the lines that I was warning about. The violence. The cruelty. Not all of evangelicalism is white supremacy, but that's it's core. It is a theology which exults violence and cruelty and ethno-supremacy. At the dawn of the violent regime change, the indigenous flag of Bolivia was first lowered, then symbolically burned. Indigenous people were raped and murdered and beaten in the streets. Their homes were burned down by the police and military. Even though half of Bolivia is ethnically indigenous, evangelical Christianity has bonded the whites into a fascist right wing government which tore down democracy in order to gain power. That magical thinking allows them to twist their beliefs into whatever serves them and animates them towards political action- And sometimes towards violent action. Whatever serves the needs of power becomes the message. And if you peek into the history of the modern evangelical movement in America, it was always, ALWAYS about ethno-supremacy, hatred. Only later when that gained no traction did they start talking about abortion. Not because they believed it, but because it worked. And that "pro-life" message has remained one of the most durable myths of this religion of hate.

Given the chance, evangelicals will absolutely do the same thing in America. There is nothing that they won't do if they feel like they can get away with it. If it advances their violent, hateful, authoritarian causes. If there is anything Christian about the modern evangelical movement, it's the parable of the wolf in sheep's clothing. They skinned Christ to fit in among actual well-meaning believers.

If you're the right race and male, you'll be welcomed with open arms. And as a woman, you'll be welcomed as well because the movement is dying (in America) and they want children desperately. Then begins the control. Then begins the shame. Anything to get their hooks in you. The men too, but their methods of control are different.

Evangelicalism is a plague. It needs to be ripped up root and stem and cast into the fire. When given a free hand and when it grasps at politics, this is what happens. And it will happen elsewhere too if they are not opposed.

I grew up in Florida and the earliest "political" position I remember hearing from my mom was about racism when I was in second grade. I transferred from a Catholic school in a white area to public school with about a 20% black population. I don't remember what spurred the conversation, but I distinctly remember her telling me about slavery, about how people down there will tell you the civil war was about states rights or other things not involving slavery. She told me, before we were even taught about the war, that the violence and hatred imparted on others because they have a different skin color can never, ever be allowed to happen again. This was a formative memory of mine. I still think about it, how she told me probably before I was truly old enough to understand.

My mom is also a one issue voter. Abortion. She has a deeply held belief, that I know in her heart is not based in hatred on minorities or women. I'm not excusing her. She voted for Trump, of course. But just this month she told me she's not voting for him again and that she probably won't vote for a republican house rep or senator. I don't think she can bring herself to vote for a Democrat. It's a start. I hope she understands someday that minimizing abortion is about caring for people at risk of becoming pregnant, before it happens and after by providing care and support to poor parents. "Not all Trump voters" is lazy because while most of them are awful, they're not a monolithic entity that shares in the racism and bigotry.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Catalyst-proof posted:

Remember when you were insanely racist a few pages ago?

I don't speak for IP, but I think both of us admitted we used past experiences with bad men to clumsily paint a broad picture. IP is very clearly a thoughtful person, much moreso than myself, and I'd suggest you'd drop this as it accomplishes nothing. I internalized what people wrote to me and realized I need to rethink how I look at the world. If you have any questions or think I'm full of poo poo, please DM me. I'd love to talk about it

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

oxsnard posted:

I don't speak for IP, but I think both of us admitted we used past experiences with bad men to clumsily paint a broad picture. IP is very clearly a thoughtful person, much moreso than myself, and I'd suggest you'd drop this as it accomplishes nothing. I internalized what people wrote to me and realized I need to rethink how I look at the world. If you have any questions or think I'm full of poo poo, please DM me. I'd love to talk about it

IP failed the purity test, and thusly must be cast from our midst.

I think I will subtitle this post: Stupid Reasons Why the American Left Keeps Getting Punked by the Right.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

SchrodingersCat posted:

I think I will subtitle this post: Stupid Reasons Why the American Left Keeps Getting Punked by the Right.

If you were going to have a purity test I think the whole not being racist is a pretty reasonable one to have. And judging by some of your posts that are really awful towards women I don't really think you have Much to stand on here either

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Stop

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

When you’re so worried about being primaried you become a republican.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1205931802340274181?s=21

Trump begging for a narrative.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Fantastic news actually. Allows a non shithead to stand a chance in 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oxsnard posted:

Fantastic news actually. Allows a non shithead to stand a chance in 2020

Sadly NJ-2 seems like an R-leaning district in regards to its representatives. Before Jeff Van Drew it had been held by a Republican since 1995.

But obviously enough people were pissed off to unseat that Republican, so I don't get what Drew is so afraid of other than he's a coward and probably corrupt

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

Sadly NJ-2 seems like an R-leaning district in regards to its representatives. Before Jeff Van Drew it had been held by a Republican since 1995

Agreed but it's better to have a corporate centrist than a neo nazi. If he switched parties, he's the worst case scenario in 2020 with an outside shot at an actual left of center rep

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
He should be cast out

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
is that the NJ shithole that voted yes to its cops helping ICE on the ballot this Nov a few week ago?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1205948039560650753
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1205951150522064896
https://twitter.com/heatherscope/status/1205945675281829888?s=20

quote:

But former GOP legislators who have battled with Van Drew in a pro-Trump legislative districts over the last 18 years are hardly anxious to pick him up.

“It’s a risky gamble on his part,” said former State Sen. Nicholas Asselta (R-Vineland), who lost his seat to Van Drew in 2007. “I don’t think people will automatically do a 180 and say we love the guy.”

Former Assemblyman Samuel Fiocchi (R-Vineland) said Republicans already have plenty of “real conservative candidates” in the race.

“Why would we want him?” asked Fiocchi, who upset a Van Drew Team incumbent in 2013 and then lost his seat two years later. “Jeff has proven to be a chameleon. If the wind is blowing the Republican way, that’s the way he goes.”

dumb guy is dumb, gives up actual talking points he could provide republicans by voting against impeachment as a democrat

and ensures he will not be the representative in 2021, regardless of which party wins the seat, because republicans in his district hate him just as much as democrats do

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This feels like when Arlen Specter was going to lose his Senate GOP primary so he switched to Democrat and still lost the primary

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1205948039560650753
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1205951150522064896
https://twitter.com/heatherscope/status/1205945675281829888?s=20

dumb guy is dumb, gives up actual talking points he could provide republicans by voting against impeachment as a democrat

and ensures he will not be the representative in 2021, regardless of which party wins the seat, because republicans in his district hate him just as much as democrats do

What a stupid douchebag.

I point out again that he’s a dentist. I find that very funny.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

oxsnard posted:

I grew up in Florida and the earliest "political" position I remember hearing from my mom was about racism when I was in second grade. I transferred from a Catholic school in a white area to public school with about a 20% black population. I don't remember what spurred the conversation, but I distinctly remember her telling me about slavery, about how people down there will tell you the civil war was about states rights or other things not involving slavery. She told me, before we were even taught about the war, that the violence and hatred imparted on others because they have a different skin color can never, ever be allowed to happen again. This was a formative memory of mine. I still think about it, how she told me probably before I was truly old enough to understand.

My mom is also a one issue voter. Abortion. She has a deeply held belief, that I know in her heart is not based in hatred on minorities or women. I'm not excusing her. She voted for Trump, of course. But just this month she told me she's not voting for him again and that she probably won't vote for a republican house rep or senator. I don't think she can bring herself to vote for a Democrat. It's a start. I hope she understands someday that minimizing abortion is about caring for people at risk of becoming pregnant, before it happens and after by providing care and support to poor parents. "Not all Trump voters" is lazy because while most of them are awful, they're not a monolithic entity that shares in the racism and bigotry.

Abortion as a single issue at its founding was always a way to deliver white supremacy in a palatable way and bind together the forces of white supremacy which had retreated into the church, the only social institution which could not be legally desegregated during the civil rights movement. For years after Roe v Wade, abortion was only seen as a Catholic issue. To protestants it was a personal, moral issue, not a legal one. At the same time, the forces of white supremacy were forced to retreat out of the legal sphere and entered into the religious one due to pressure from the civil rights movement. Not that there wasn't white supremacy in white churches, but that white supremacy, when credibly challenged, found political consciousness and they found religion as their greatest method to spread their hate. That method for binding the moral majority together, because Christians were extremely fractious at the time in a way is hard to imagine now, but that social glue was white supremacy cloaked as the pro-life stance.

quote:

But the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny. In fact, it wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe—that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools. So much for the new abolitionism.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/religious-right-real-origins-107133

The article is pretty solid in terms of understanding how the religious right formed around white supremacy, using abortion as the social glue. It wasn't until years after Roe v. Wade that the religious consensus built on abortion. Your mother may very well be old enough to remember the time when abortion was newly legal and the stance of her church was that it was a personal decision. Unless she is Catholic, she would have remembered a period of time where abortion was a personal, moral issue. That lasted for roughly six years post-Roe. Six years of little response unless you were Catholic.

I make a distinction between religion and the religious. The culture and the people. There are many well meaning religious people who truly believe in abortion as a moral issue. Those people got conned because if you follow the action of the "pro-life" stance, it is only cruelty writ large. The abortion stance was always meant to be a candy coating around white supremacy, though it extended to misogyny as well. Ironically, it seems like it is first and foremost about misogyny, but that's rhetorical sleight of hand. Incredibly clever, incredibly deft. But it was never about women. It was about binding together the disparate forces of white supremacy that had retreated and entrenched themselves into the church to bind together and seek political power. They'd learned the hard way during the civil rights movement that their power could now be challenged. That white supremacy was no longer just a given. Power needs maintenance. That women are abused serves them, yes, but it was never about babies or women. It was about uniting the factions to preserve their way of life before it was extinguished. Keeping women down was only a single concern among that abusive, authoritarian way of life.

It's not even particularly new either. If you go back far enough, women used to occupy the role of good and wholesome and pure and being in need of protection against the forces of well...Brown people, mostly. Then women got the vote, found political power and that narrative evaporated. Not everywhere all at once as some rhetorical pools were deeper than others, but it began to wane after women could finally have a voice. You can hot swap a lot of the existing purity rhetoric around the unborn to women pre-suffrage. Women used to be the excuse for white men to maintain a rigid hierarchy where they are at the top. Now it's the unborn. It's not a perfect swap, but it's extremely close. They fill the same roles.

I feel bad for your mother. It sounds like she got hijacked with the right con and sadly, none of us are immune to right con. My own mom was pro-Trump for months and now she hates him. People can change, some for the better, but sadly, some for the worse. It's just about the right con artist finding us, delivering the message and then turning us to act against our own interests and beliefs. Some cons are just better than others. And all of us, every single one, are vulnerable to the right con.

The abortion con still endures over fifty years later. A modern religious person can be a single issue voter and feel that they are righteous, that they will hold their nose for the republican party, lovely as it is and vote for them. That is the goal of those in power. To add the activism, both passive and active, voting and street heat, to their own strength. The abortion debate is a rhetorical sword and shield, proved against attack and difficult to defend against, a mix of good and bad faith narratives that is often difficult to really tell if someone believes in or not because it's just so pervasive. And even then, why they believe in what they believe can be for the health and safety of the unborn or it can just be cruelty.

There is always an element of cruelty in the "pro-life" stance. That women are to blame, that they should just keep their legs shut, but that's a kind of casual cruelty. The institutional cruelty from law is though comes in the form of ultrasounds, religious doctrine, even letting women die because a clump of cells matters more than an existing person. It comes afterwards in the form of lean to no assistance for mother or child, who are often alone and scorned. This cruelty is designed for people to seek help from the church, which does have resources, which is the end goal. To add their strength as well to the very system which abuses them.

I'm pretty sure that without abortion, the religious coalition falls apart. Their coalition collapses and they'll go back to factional squabbling within a few years because that's how Christianity historically operates. It's extremely factional. Even the designers of the attacks on abortion are in bad faith. They'll never get real abolition because the republican party and the religious right will lose most of their power without their so called "pro-life" rhetoric. Maybe not immediately, but within a few years. That doesn't serve power or hate, which is what this was always about.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 14, 2019

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

SchrodingersCat posted:

This notion that the left is uniquely afflicted by internecine conflict and "purity tests" is super prevalent and also completely unsupported by reality.

The tea party and the freedom caucus and the existence of the term RINO all handily disprove any claim that the right are a unified bloc.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

T. Bombastus posted:

This notion that the left is uniquely afflicted by internecine conflict and "purity tests" is super prevalent and also completely unsupported by reality.

The tea party and the freedom caucus and the existence of the term RINO all handily disprove any claim that the right are a unified bloc.

And yet they all show up, vote for a nazi and hold their nose if needed.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Van Drew switching parties is phenomenally stupid. Dude is torpedoing his political career for at least a few years.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It comes down to compassion vs selfishness:

A compassionate person will take issue with a candidate with inadequacies because their compassion drives them to want the best possible outcome. For example, any amount of racism is something that needs to be rectified.

A selfish person is going to tune out whatever inadequacies their candidate may have as long as they're getting what they want. For example, any amount of racism is acceptable as long as the right people are being hurt or the right things are getting done.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1205957543064944640?s=20

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
are they just that dumb or is this some ploy to get the 4-5 GOP holdout senators to cross over?

"come on in the water is fine"

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

FlamingLiberal posted:

Weren’t we talking recently about how lovely Newsweek is? Well, they just hired loving Andy Ngo, aka the guy who does propaganda for fascist groups and also Atomwaffen

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1205568229780992005?s=21

Hahaha, burn it to the ground

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZugzwangDC/status/1205473973653295104

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

If his senate election really is close (and I’m not persuaded it is based on one poll), he may really regret that quote.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

oxsnard posted:

are they just that dumb or is this some ploy to get the 4-5 GOP holdout senators to cross over?

"come on in the water is fine"

Because the political environments in Kentucky and South Carolina are exactly the same as in Colorado, Maine and North Carolina!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
WSJ confirmed Van Drew's party swap

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's interesting that hypocrisy keeps coming up and people keep trying to use it as an attack. Republicans don't care. They will never care. Why should they care? What do charges of hypocrisy matter? Politics is about winning.

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Who the gently caress did antifa kill? You know, aside from white pride?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

SocketWrench posted:

The article itself talks about left wing activists who were killed and doesn’t mention any deaths by them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Trabisnikof posted:

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Source your Sartre.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

SocketWrench posted:

Andy Ngo's last remaining brain cell, apparently

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
you can't have a negative count

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

SocketWrench posted:

To date, the antifa movement has killed zero people, but it has beaten the poo poo out of fascists in street battles where fascists show up. However, when fascists show up, they're going to beat the poo poo out of people or even kill them whether or not antifascist groups show up. Antifascists deny fascists easy targets by presenting a credible threat while also being under threat from police and better armed fascists. But I repeat myself.

This is actually pretty impressive, because the antifa movement has no top down hierarchy. They've all independently decided to keep their violence from killing anyone despite being in lots of street battles and lack of official coordination and differing ideologies. Also if you start punching or kicking someone, you're always running the risk that you're going to kill them. Humans are strangely tough and weirdly fragile at the same time. They can fall thirty feet onto pavement and barely survive or get hit in the back of the head and die from an embolism. I'm impressed that antifascists haven't killed anyone by accident when they square off with fascists, who absolutely purposefully murder hundreds of people a year.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's interesting that hypocrisy keeps coming up and people keep trying to use it as an attack. Republicans don't care. They will never care. Why should they care? What do charges of hypocrisy matter? Politics is about winning.

There was a paper published a few years ago that talked about how leftists tend to equate correctness and factuality with morality while right wingers don’t.

Mummy Xzibit posted:

The people saying Bernie is bad for Jews are the same kind of people that said Obama would be bad for Black people.

It's a bad faith argument and is inherently tinged with anti-Semitism.

As a Jew, I'm comfortable saying gently caress Israel and gently caress non-Jews and Jews alike that use its defense as a weapon against progressivism.

If you went on Birthright and came away without thinking they were trying to brainwash you then I hate to say it but you've been loving brainwashed by a fascist ethno-state.

Just like they maipulate young American Jews looking for a free trip they manipulate public opinion in the rest of the world. This is not a problematic statement.

Then try publishing it in an op ed.

Ogmius815 posted:

What a stupid douchebag.

I point out again that he’s a dentist. I find that very funny.

Dentists are the small business tyrants of the medical world. A step above chiropractors in that their discipline is actually fact-based and seriously valuable to human health, but only a small step.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't know why people try to shame Graham as opposed to just laughing at him having to become a pathetic toady because otherwise he'd lose a primary.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

it would be awesome if lindsay was disbarred for this. there's no reason for it to happen, but I'd sure enjoy it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ketchup vs catsup posted:

it would be awesome if lindsay was disbarred for this. there's no reason for it to happen, but I'd sure enjoy it.

It's a constitutional violation. So yes, there is a reason. He's supposed to be impartial, which is explicitly being spelled out. He is not and so he is in violation of the impeachment process by announcing that he will not even pretend to be a fair juror.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's a constitutional violation. So yes, there is a reason. He's supposed to be impartial, which is explicitly being spelled out. He is not and so he is in violation of the impeachment process by announcing that he will not even pretend to be a fair juror.

in that case, how does one begin the process of disbarring a lawyer in a state across the country?

Asking for a friend.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Ice Phisherman posted:

lol if you think juries need to be impartial in this country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ketchup vs catsup posted:

in that case, how does one begin the process of disbarring a lawyer in a state across the country?

Asking for a friend.

Leaning on the bar and leaning hard and getting a lot of people to do it in a way that threatens their legitimacy.

Unoriginal Name posted:

lol if you think juries need to be impartial in this country

I don't really. But impeachment is different because it is explicitly spelled out in the constitution.