Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

You Am I posted:

Same with Scorched Earth :)

Wasn't Scorched Earth just jammed full of stupid options anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Yes. And a hotkey for NO KIBITZING!.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

wonderful options, yes.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fil5000 posted:

doctorfrog posted:

wonderful options, yes.

You could tweak one of the files in that game to make it insane.

You could also change what was displayed in the intro text in the original Civilization. Had great fun with that

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Hello, I am the weirdo that actually paid the registration fees for Scorched Earth and mIRC.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Lotion Tester posted:

Hello, I am the weirdo that actually paid the registration fees for Scorched Earth and mIRC.

I think that makes 1 of you.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My dad paid for winzip and cuteftp.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

GutBomb posted:

My dad paid for winzip and cuteftp.

Sure, and your uncle worked for Nintendo. :rolleyes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I paid for Kali, the like original online matchmaking service that let you spoof IPX over tcp/ip

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Blue Moonlight posted:

Sure, and your uncle worked for Nintendo. :rolleyes:

These things always remind me of how my family really did send our pet to live on a farm. The cat kept running away so we took her to live with my uncle in Iowa. She had plenty of room the run around and kill things. We visited a few times but then eventually she disappeared.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bought a license to FlashFXP. It was nice to know if I needed an ftp client in a pinch even recently I could quickly grab a copy and unlock it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember people in my dorm using something called FSP to fetch files, in the dim times of the mid-1990s, but I can’t for the life of me find anything about it. Was it real or were they just fledgling weeaboos trolling me?

E:

quote:

File Service Protocol (FSP) is a UDP-based replacement for the File Transfer Protocol, designed for anonymous access with lower hardware and network requirements than FTP. In particular, because it uses UDP, it avoids the problems that many FTP servers have had with requiring a separate process for each client,[citation needed] and because it is built to use an unreliable protocol, it can more easily[citation needed] handle resuming a transfer after a network failure.
lmaoooo

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Apparently Google is removing FTP support from Chrome in version 82

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/08/16/google-chrome-82-wont-support-ftp-anymore/

quote:

Google Chrome 82 won't support FTP anymore according to the recently published "Intent to Deprecate: FTP Support" document by Google.

All modern web browsers support FTP at the time of writing. Users may click on [url]ftp://[/url] links or type them manually in the browser's address bar to open a connection to the site.

Google argues that the implementation of FTP in Chrome does not support encrypted connections and that usage is too low, the company said that 0.1% of users use FTP, to justify spending resources on integrating secure FTP functionality in the browser.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How are we gonna download fishmech's nudes now

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Vanagoon posted:

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/08/16/google-chrome-82-wont-support-ftp-anymore/
Godspeed, protocol that's literally older than the internet.

And by godspeed I mean 2400 baud.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vanagoon posted:

It’s funny, I’ve been looking into a modern ftpd/ftp equivalent to use thats straightforward and... there doesn’t really seem to be one. Everything is now cloud based like Dropbox and charges you for the privilege of the space (when really I’m just looking at a good way to move files directly between two points) or enterprise based and more complicated that it needs to be.

RIP.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like web browser FTP was always kind of janky and useless compared to just getting FileZilla and using that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like web browser FTP was always kind of janky and useless compared to just using it in the god drat cli

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Anyone that types "send" instead of "put" is a horrible monster.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Maybe I'm just young but, while I can navigate CLI, I've never liked it very much and I'll always take a decent GUI over it any day. FileZilla's always been my go-to.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
You can access FTP using Windows 10's file explorer. No browser or third-party software necessary

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s funny, I’ve been looking into a modern ftpd/ftp equivalent to use thats straightforward and... there doesn’t really seem to be one. Everything is now cloud based like Dropbox and charges you for the privilege of the space (when really I’m just looking at a good way to move files directly between two points) or enterprise based and more complicated that it needs to be.

RIP.

SFTP is pretty much automatically there for any system that's listening for SSH connections, so I've been happily moving files around via SCP for many years now.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

OTOH, uploading PDFs to our printer is a huge PITA, because they insist on dropbox which plays poorly with my limited upload bandwidth - files reach 100% but are never recognized as complete - and I'm like, c'mon, just use FTP, it's the loving industry standard for a goddamned reason. You're charging me a late fee for the actions of a crap third-party service you chose.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

rndmnmbr posted:

OTOH, uploading PDFs to our printer is a huge PITA, because they insist on dropbox which plays poorly with my limited upload bandwidth - files reach 100% but are never recognized as complete - and I'm like, c'mon, just use FTP, it's the loving industry standard for a goddamned reason. You're charging me a late fee for the actions of a crap third-party service you chose.

That is a remarkably Rube Goldberg way to handle file printing on a local printer.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

If only. These are newspaper pages to the company who prints them for us. And running a web-fed offset printer is ancient black magic, best performed by eldritch abominations you pay well for the privilege.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like web browser FTP was always kind of janky and useless compared to just getting FileZilla and using that.

have to support an FTP server and by christ I just want to set the loving thing on fire

FTP is the jankiest protocol. all manner of awful stupid poo poo hanging off the side.

and running an FTP server on AWS that has to talk both to our AWS instances and to the outside world.

desperately trying to push users to SFTP, but there's always those few

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I use WinSCP and haven't had any problems. The browser-based stuff always felt like a pain in the rear end if it was for more than just grabbing a file or two.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
It annoys me that Apple has removed ftp.apple.com and not replaced the contents elsewhere.

You used to be able to download disk images for System 7.5.3 and now they're just "too bad gently caress you go away".

I hope someone has the Mac System installers backed up somewhere.

I had a Mac IIci with the cache card that was great fun to mess around with. It would suck to lose the ability to fix these old beasts just because Apple pulled the OS archives.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Probably kind of :filez: but gently caress it. WinWorld is a great resource for OS installers and clean disk images of ancient apps.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lotion Tester posted:

Probably kind of :filez: but gently caress it. WinWorld is a great resource for OS installers and clean disk images of ancient apps.

Reported for Mac OS lmao.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hello am I too late to this discussion to say I registered WinAmp like five minutes before it became freeware, and stopped using it in part when their answer as to what we got for our money was "thanks lol"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I never really understood the popularity of WinAmp.

In that time period I was using MusicMatch Jukebox and the functionality was great, particularly ripping mp3s and such.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
WinAmp was a great chiptune player with the right plugins.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In that time period I was using MusicMatch Jukebox and the functionality was great, particularly ripping mp3s and such.
Jukebox was paywalled for quality above like 128k and it took up quite a bit of screen space. It did have some sweet poo poo (like printing custom CD case designs with tracklists, but WinAmp was more streamlined and light.

And the plug-ins meant you could add visualizers and poo poo.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Jukebox was paywalled for quality above like 128k and it took up quite a bit of screen space. It did have some sweet poo poo (like printing custom CD case designs with tracklists, but WinAmp was more streamlined and light.

And the plug-ins meant you could add visualizers and poo poo.

I might have either paid for it or otherwise had an unlocked version - I don't remember exactly. My rips from those days were all higher than 128k. At some point it still got dumbed down (probably after Yahoo bought them) and I just started using VLC for most purposes anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still remember when mp3 emerged and going to a friends house with a floppy disc containing an entire song, and just being mind blown by it.

That and SNES 9x finally giving me a purpose behind the CDs of ROMs I knew existed but had no use for (I eventually found a Super Wildcard DX for $10).

The mid 90s internet always had something huge just around the corner. I haven’t been excited by software developments in forever.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I kept all my music in a single 5000-song-long manually alphabetised winamp playlist and I think the only reason I stuck with it for so many years was because I loved the skins. Switched to itunes in 2008ish and never went back. It's not good or anything, just that was when I first moved over to macos and I haven't really used a windows computer at all in 10+ years now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pretty good posted:

I kept all my music in a single 5000-song-long manually alphabetised winamp playlist and I think the only reason I stuck with it for so many years was because I loved the skins. Switched to itunes in 2008ish and never went back. It's not good or anything, just that was when I first moved over to macos and I haven't really used a windows computer at all in 10+ years now.

In the early 2000s Pepsi ran a promotion where under the bottlecaps you could find codes for a free download off iTunes. I would install iTunes, download the song, burn it to CD (if I recall that was the only way to really export them at the time) and then uninstall iTunes. Even on my Mac at work I avoided iTunes as much as possible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The 2.xx versions of Winamp were light on resources and had an easy to understand straightforward interface, which made it the MP3 player for PC. And it was made freely available, which just increased its popularity.

Every other player either used too many resources or had obtuse oddly-designed user interfaces or were expensive.

And there were tons of plugins for audio formats, visualizations and integration with other applications, which appealed to us teenagers at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
When phone companies cut over from switchboards to digital, it is really a cut using bolt cutters.

https://youtu.be/saRir95iIWk