Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Ours was roughly 120 spinning up (Red Flag! :dance: ), 120 deployed, and 240 doing everything else - reconstitution, upgrade, getting new pipeline students CMR, etc. So after a 4 month deployment you'd be home for a year, and the four squadrons would rotate. As manning got worse, it grew to six month deployments and each squadron basically had to borrow people to fill out its crews, which made those people non-deployable with their own squadron which would then have to borrow more people to fill out the crews, etc. It's a shitshow now, which is probably why manning is 1/3 worse than when I got out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I was having a discussion with a former active / current reservist co-worker the other day. With the exception of firefighters, who have downtime between fire calls / EMS runs to conduct drills, training and maintenance (also, cooking, sleeping and home improvement projects :allears: )most emergency service departments like PD and EMS don't have blocks scheduled during the day for training, at most you get what is, at best, one or two days of training a year plus CBT to do between 911 calls.

It would require a massive culture shift and a lot of money but scheduling in week long blocks of training every quarter would give departments time to do unit based training and give officers / medics time "off deployment" as it were, to decompress, learn lessons and relay information.

... No idea how to make it work though. poo poo, there was a 4-5 year period a few years ago where EMS was on zero-warning mandatory overtime for manpower issues. Think you're going home in a hour? Guess again, you're doing a double.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

"nice job handling the double homicide can you go out and answer jobs and maybe write some traffic tickets we have traffic stat coming up" "once you hose all the blood out of the bus you need to stay for a double"and other things you don't hear at regular jobs

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I'm only 3 or 4 episodes in, but the new season of the expanse isn't sitting great with me.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bird cooch posted:

I'm only 3 or 4 episodes in, but the new season of the expanse isn't sitting great with me.

The first book in the series, Leviathan Wakes, was an excellent top tier SCI-FI book. The rest of the series’ books are all incredibly lovely

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

bird cooch posted:

Counterpoint: Amos

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

It sounds much better defined than it was when I was in. We basically got two weeks to gently caress around locally, but god help you if you left the local area without using leave. I've never heard of a 90 day rotation, but most of ours were between 120-180. The downtime was also to make up for the ~4 months or so prior to deployment when leave was mostly prohibited because you were going to be TDY for 2-3 weeks back to back to back to back for much of it.

The USAF folksI work with are mostly on 120-180 day rotations. Senior folks are on 365. They say the fabled 90 days, then two weeks off are mostly when you get lucky with an exercise or school combo. The army expects that when you return from a 9-12 month deployment, take about 24-48 hours off, then go back to work unless on chargeable leave. Sometimes, in a chill unit, you get a 4-day pass. And it's not like prior to deployment, the army is just chilling and taking leave.

I'm not saying the army's answer is better or more "hardcore." Mostly I'm just jealous and impressed that the air force found a legal way to give serious time off to people after rotations while the army just smashes you back into the grind.

Godholio posted:

Ours was roughly 120 spinning up (Red Flag! :dance: ), 120 deployed, and 240 doing everything else - reconstitution, upgrade, getting new pipeline students CMR, etc. So after a 4 month deployment you'd be home for a year, and the four squadrons would rotate. As manning got worse, it grew to six month deployments and each squadron basically had to borrow people to fill out its crews, which made those people non-deployable with their own squadron which would then have to borrow more people to fill out the crews, etc. It's a shitshow now, which is probably why manning is 1/3 worse than when I got out.

4 months deployed, 1 year home or 6 months deployed 1 year home are amazing ivory towers in the distance right now.

Looking forward to seeing the first regular unit that drops below 1:1 home to deployed, such that they spend more time overseas than they do in garrison, counting both trainup and leave combined.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 14, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bird cooch posted:

Okay, thank god, I thought it was just me. It's like someone wrote decentish fanfic and they got someone (admittedly competent) to direct it. Anything resembling subtlety went right out the window.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

The USAF folksI work with are mostly on 120-180 day rotations. Senior folks are on 365. They say the fabled 90 days, then two weeks off are mostly when you get lucky with an exercise or school combo. The army expects that when you return from a 9-12 month deployment, take about 24-48 hours off, then go back to work unless on chargeable leave. Sometimes, in a chill unit, you get a 4-day pass. And it's not like prior to deployment, the army is just chilling and taking leave.

I'm not saying the army's answer is better or more "hardcore." Mostly I'm just jealous and impressed that the air force found a legal way to give serious time off to people after rotations while the army just smashes you back into the grind.

4 months deployed, 1 year home or 6 months deployed 1 year home are amazing ivory towers in the distance right now.

Looking forward to seeing the first regular unit that drops below 1:1 home to deployed, such that they spend more time overseas than they do in garrison, counting both trainup and leave combined.
lol that "jealous" consists of like 3 weeks off after being gone for 1/2 to 1/3 of a year unless I'm misunderstanding this. God the military sucks at treating people like humans.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ilus and the Deadly Worms was a terrible book and I'm surprised the show leaned into it

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Flying_Crab posted:

lol that "jealous" consists of like 3 weeks off after being gone for 1/2 to 1/3 of a year unless I'm misunderstanding this. God the military sucks at treating people like humans.

"ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS HAVE LUNCH WITH MY SON!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daYmiyguT9U

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Flying_Crab posted:

And good luck taking leave the rest of the year. Most of my peers had over 100 days of leave banked because they just couldn't get rid of it except use/lose...and a lot of people lost it. I lost almost a month when I got out, after burning some for terminal and selling back 60.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bird cooch posted:

I'm mostly ok with it. The big thing for me is Avasarala's husband was A-recast poorly, and B-given a whole new (worse) personality.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

And good luck taking leave the rest of the year. Most of my peers had over 100 days of leave banked because they just couldn't get rid of it except use/lose...and a lot of people lost it. I lost almost a month when I got out, after burning some for terminal and selling back 60.

You're only allowed 60 days of leave now, lest you lose it. Some exceptions may apply if deployed. And I don't recall ever being allowed to carry more than 90, even back in times of the surge. I'm not counting non-chargeable time off, just chargeable leave.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Okay, thank god, I thought it was just me. It's like someone wrote decentish fanfic and they got someone (admittedly competent) to direct it. Anything resembling subtlety went right out the window.

There's just so much of the TV trope "the solution is staring the characters right in the face how long will it take for them to figure it out" that I want to yell at my screen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
*is given copy of Don quixote*
*looks directly in camera*
"I think it's time for a reread"
*winks*

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
AFAIK it's widely acknowledged as the worst book in the series, don't expect much, but don't write the show off either.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The frustrating thing is it's really hard to pin down just what exactly about it rubs me the wrong way. It just feels off. I can't figure it out. That said I'm only a fifth of the way through so it might pick up as poo poo moves on

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It's undoubtedly the weakest book in the series. Books 1-3 were supposed to be stand alone, and 4 was the start of a new arc...and it's not great.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/14/politics/lindsey-graham-trump-impeachment-trial/index.html

So...that's definitely a loving thing. Really dropping the mask there Republicans. Cool, cool.

quote:

"This thing will come to the Senate, and it will die quickly, and I will do everything I can to make it die quickly," the South Carolina Republican said Saturday

quote:

"I am trying to give a pretty clear signal I have made up my mind. I'm not trying to pretend to be a fair juror here,"

Yup. Cool. Not even a fig leaf anymore, just "gently caress you, I'm in power what are you going to do about it?"

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Apparently they forgot what happened at the baseball game?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kesper North posted:

AFAIK it's widely acknowledged as the worst book in the series, don't expect much, but don't write the show off either.

At the very least season 4 is better than the book for making Elvi not a terrible character. Of course she's still not a good character, because her only character traits in the book are "good at science" and "wants to bang Holden". They got rid of the latter but didn't really add anything to replace it.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

The nice thing is that this administration keeps criming, so the House can just keep passing articles of impeachment.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fister Roboto posted:

At the very least season 4 is better than the book for making Elvi not a terrible character. Of course she's still not a good character, because her only character traits in the book are "good at science" and "wants to bang Holden". They got rid of the latter but didn't really add anything to replace it.

Oh, I'm glad to hear they got rid of that at least. Lots of things made no sense about that book. I think they planned a trilogy and didn't expect to get a fat contract, then kind of pushed that out while they figured out where to actually take the story.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/1205735191823695875?s=20

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

NC man steals $88k from bank vault, posts photos from inside bank vault to facebook, deposits cash in ATM at branch he ripped off.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/man-accused-stealing-88k-charlotte-bank-vault-posting-photos-social-media/SXF3ZF6DKJBP7AEZRZCWDTWTGA/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kesper North posted:

I will never fault a TV show based on a book series for just writing their own storyline once the novels go to poo poo

There’s basically only one event in the rest of the novels that I would care about The Expanse show portraying.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fallom posted:

I will never fault a TV show based on a book series for just writing their own storyline once the novels go to poo poo

There’s basically only one event in the rest of the novels that I would care about The Expanse show portraying.

GoT managed to get even worse than the bad books though.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I will always fault tv shows that write their own storyline when the books start getting good, though.

Lookin' at you, Altered Carbon's ninja waifu sister storyline

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Edit: beware, spoilers for The Expanse through a two-year-old book, ahead.

I thought the weakest book was the one with the laughably cartoonist occupation of Medina Station by buffoonish space Nazis? loving Duarte's master plan apparently included sending the greenest officer he had into a situation that was self-evidently way over his head from the outset and the villains just kept compounding blunder upon blunder until "oh, actually, I was under orders to loving murder you if you committed this blunder, but did nothing to meaningfully intervene in the long, inevitable road toward it."

The authors definitely hew on the libertarian side, too, what with the sclerotic one world government holding back humanity with a universal basic income and population control. And the plucky independent belters who are simultaneously incredibly oppressed by the evil governments, yet strong of spirit and extraordinarily gifted because everyone knows incredible adversity encourages people to excel and doesn't hold them back with debilitatingly trauma.

And don't get me started on how colonizing the world's beyond the gates "freed" humanity from the evils of government or anyone else telling them how to live. Funny how they never visited the planets colonized by the inevitable assortment of ethno-supremacists, totalitarian corporations, and religious cultists.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 15, 2019

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bird food bathtub posted:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/14/politics/lindsey-graham-trump-impeachment-trial/index.html

So...that's definitely a loving thing. Really dropping the mask there Republicans. Cool, cool.

Yup. Cool. Not even a fig leaf anymore, just "gently caress you, I'm in power what are you going to do about it?"

These are the people Big Brain Joe Biden think will return to their senses when Trump is out of office

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I stopped reading around book 4 tbh

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

GoT managed to get even worse than the bad books though.

As long as GRRM never actually finishes the series then TV show fans can claim that his books would have sucked rear end anyway and book fans can claim that they would have been way better

Everybody wins

Cugel the Clever posted:

And don't get me started on how colonizing the world's beyond the gates "freed" humanity from the evils of government or anyone else telling them how to live. Funny how they never visited the planets colonized by the inevitable assortment of ethno-supremacists, totalitarian corporations, and religious cultists.

I feel like I must have read a different series because this is literally all they've ever covered with the exo-planet plotlines. The authors explicitly point out how colonizing these planets has done humanity no favors as the corporations zoom in to stake their claims and drive everyone else away. The latest book is specifically about a conflict with a technofascist government.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 15, 2019

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Fallom posted:

I feel like I must have read a different series because this is literally all they've ever covered with the exo-planet plotlines. The authors explicitly point out how colonizing these planets has done humanity no favors as the corporations zoom in to stake their claims and drive everyone else away. The latest book is specifically about a conflict with a technofascist government.
The space Nazis are just the replacement for the previous villainous governments that the plucky Belters previously overcame, though? The whole point of, what is it, the Transit Union, is that it's a government structure at it's barest minimum, only existing to mediate transit through the gates. The potential of corporations misbehaving did come up with Ilus, but I don't recall it coming up again afterwards.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There’s also, you know, the Protogen plot line. Just a tiny example of corporate misbehavior.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

How about using some dang spoiler tags instead of just dumping crap like that in the Current Events thread of all places

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Internet Wizard posted:

How about using some dang spoiler tags instead of just dumping crap like that in the Current Events thread of all places

Yeah really

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The thread title does say "Season 4 Chat (spoilers inside)".

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

piL posted:

The thread title does say "Season 4 Chat (spoilers inside)".

Do you think that was done before or after spoilers were posted without spoiler tags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Do you think that was done before or after spoilers were posted without spoiler tags?

It was the original thread title, and a good joke by piL.