Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ethanol posted:

did you even read the article you linked

quote:

By and large, both versions of the game run at 30 frames per second and where there are some dips, they seem to play out in much the same way. In fact, in very, very limited scenes, you may even see the standard PS4 marginally outperform the Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yeah in a few very very limited scenes, you may even see, wow im convinced

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Celexi posted:

It actually is.

Nope, even if you discount the titles which are on PS4 and not Xbox at all, the 2016-2017 window has a ton of games with Pro patches and not X patches. The titles patched on both consoles are almost always either true 4K on both consoles, or not true 4K on either of them.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m going to buy the new Xbox in the fall because I have a PS4 Pro, a Switch, and I miss halo and gears and old 360 games. So I’m going to buy old 360 games for the rest of the life of GameStop and pick up MCC, the gears games for the one and rare replay, and then have this sick new system while I wait for the PS5 version2 in 3 years. (I have enough PS4 games and switch games to last me that long, especially if I add only the best Xbox games to my collection of backlog.

I’m doing this for single player mind you, I’ll play the latest halos and gears online when they’re out, but as I slowly get sick of fortnite, I think my days of COD and online multiplayer are over.

I don’t own a good gaming pc. I use macs.
I’m stoked.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lol the part you quoted the pro is running at a higher resolution and they go on to say it's a technical marvel

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

univbee posted:

Nope, even if you discount the titles which are on PS4 and not Xbox at all, the 2016-2017 window has a ton of games with Pro patches and not X patches. The titles patched on both consoles are almost always either true 4K on both consoles, or not true 4K on either of them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

all the ps4 pro ones they dont know say unclear, all the xbox ones say higher expected. i trust this image implicitly. i would put my life in its hands. anyway now do one for base ps4 and xbone the consoles people actually bought.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I’m the checkerboarding.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The PS4 checkerboarding, while not optimal, is actually really good

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
On PC the only checkerboarding I get is when I’m watching ska music videos while playing games at 144hz

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the xbox one x is supposed to be more powerful anyways, the ps4 pro came out a year earlier and was $100 less.

having owned both, the difference is marginal.

the xbox is gone however, as it had no games. the ps4 has some seriously awesome exclusives and im not keeping a $500 xbox around for marginal increases on multiplats

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ethanol posted:

the xbox one x is supposed to be more powerful anyways, the ps4 pro came out a year earlier and was $100 less.

having owned both, the difference is marginal.

the xbox is gone however, as it had no games. the ps4 has some seriously awesome exclusives and im not keeping a $500 xbox around for marginal increases on multiplats
Xbox is also mostly redundant if you have a PC now, as you can get all of the exclusives on Game Pass at launch

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Xbox is also mostly redundant if you have a PC now, as you can get all of the exclusives on Game Pass at launch

as for rd2 or borderlands 3, one didn't exist in pc for over a year, other I have to give money to Epic. Or to Mens rights activists when it shows up in steam.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Celexi posted:

as for rd2 or borderlands 3, one didn't exist in pc for over a year, other I have to give money to Epic. Or to Mens rights activists when it shows up in steam.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
i can genuinely agree with not wanting to buy things off steam directly however thankfully the good people are humble bundle let me buy games

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is there a specific reason why Rockstar never put RDR1 on PC, or did they just not feel like it was worth their time

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there a specific reason why Rockstar never put RDR1 on PC, or did they just not feel like it was worth their time

theyre bad devs

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

gfwl was a raging dumpster fire at the time and they claimed porting the code over was a mess already

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Xbox stays winning!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This was already clear for anyone paying attention:
- This generation of consoles are a disgracefull disaster, not being able to provide consistent 1080p 60fps.
- XBox One X is the most powerful console and towers over the PS4 Pro.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Towers heh

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FlamingLiberal posted:

The code was a garbled mess and they couldn't figure out how to port it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Probably a combination of the Windows version of GTA IV being poorly received critically, GFWL being generally terrible to work with and them not wanting to devote resources to it for whatever reason. The PC landscape was just too different back then.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Shoutout to the awful awful digital version of ‘ticket to ride’ on game pass right now, I’m not even a board game nerd but it’s so bad

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the 360 version that you can run on the xbox one is better and has more content.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Tei posted:

- XBox One X is the most powerful console and towers over the PS4 Pro.

How sad that there's no games for it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

How sad that there's no games for it

How many times do I have to say Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Dont ask me for a second game cause racing games suck to me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can only conclude that the PS4 has no games because sony fanboys spend all their free time in the xbox thread.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been enjoying HITMAN2 lately as well as getting back into Forza Horizon 4 and checking out all the new additions and updates. Toyota Supra hype! Also played through Minit on Game Pass and thought it was a great little game. The music was super charming and the "60 second chunks" gameplay was a lot more fun than I expected it to be.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Celexi posted:

the 360 version that you can run on the xbox one is better and has more content.

I am not surprised bc this is basically how I feel about the former gen of games

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

There’s not a hitman game on game pass is there? I’m dumb as gently caress so I’ve never paid money for one but I’d absolutely want to play it if it shot out of Microsoft’s content udder

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Barudak posted:

How many times do I have to say Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Dont ask me for a second game cause racing games suck to me.

Panzer Dragoon + PDZ are getting remakes due sometime in 2020 on Switch, Xbone, & PC.

& XBSeX, I guess?

The assumption is that if those do well the rest of the series might follow. Orta’s on the store/the original Xbox disc works on XBone right now anyway. And I think the secret original PD unlock is still accessible too?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

There’s not a hitman game on game pass is there? I’m dumb as gently caress so I’ve never paid money for one but I’d absolutely want to play it if it shot out of Microsoft’s content udder

Not currently, no. The 2016 game was on there for a while but got pulled from it back in July.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Tei posted:

This was already clear for anyone paying attention:
- This generation of consoles are a disgracefull disaster, not being able to provide consistent 1080p 60fps.

That's only because the devs don't think people want 60fps over prettier graphics. And it's never going to change. This is exactly what people said about the previous generation too. The only exception are VR games because lower/uneven frame rates actually make people physically sick.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Panzer Dragoon + PDZ are getting remakes due sometime in 2020 on Switch, Xbone, & PC.

This is amazing and proof there is a God. I can't believe I hadn't heard of it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wheany posted:

That's only because the devs don't think people want 60fps over prettier graphics. And it's never going to change. This is exactly what people said about the previous generation too. The only exception are VR games because lower/uneven frame rates actually make people physically sick.

I dunno, all the most popular franchises are 60fps games, and I don't think that's a coincidence. Perhaps "60fps" isn't a bullet point you can put up to appeal to people, but subconsciously at least they gravitate to games that offer that experience more than 30fps games.

American McGay posted:

Also played through Minit on Game Pass and thought it was a great little game. The music was super charming and the "60 second chunks" gameplay was a lot more fun than I expected it to be.

The people who made that also made a game called Nuclear Throne which is secretly one of the best games of the gen. I'd recommend picking it up on Steam just because it's one of those games where mouse aiming really is better, but it is a freakin' awesome pick-up-and-play game that everyone should own. The aiming issue is kinda similar to Hotline Miami (also really good) whereby controller is okay and somewhat serviceable but it's so much more fun to play with a mouse and keyboard. While you're at it, also check out Downwell. These are all charming short-burst retro styled games that might have passed under your radar but if you like Minit watch some trailers/gameplay for these games and see if you dig them. They're some of my favorite games. Oh, Spelunky as well, that's also really good.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 15, 2019

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
A lot of major franchises went 60fps for the first time during the PS4/Bone generation such as Battlefield, Diablo, Halo, Gears and Forza. There's a lot of player requests for it and they recognize the difference it makes. There's also an increasing number of games that are 30fps by design offering unlocked framerate performance modes, like God of War, and Monster Hunter.

I would expect 60fps games to proliferate even more in the new generation. There's only a handful of holdouts left and their developers have admitted before that the lack of CPU power is holding them back (Bungie with Destiny and Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed are two notable examples). There will always be 30fps games but I think for the first time since the 16 bit days they may get outnumbered.

You can't really market it, but people are aware of it, even the most casual players know what it is even if they can't explain what it is, and they gravitate towards it in the way that people naturally do towards things that are simply better.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

A lot of major franchises went 60fps for the first time during the PS4/Bone generation such as Battlefield, Diablo, Halo, Gears and Forza. There's a lot of player requests for it and they recognize the difference it makes. There's also an increasing number of games that are 30fps by design offering unlocked framerate performance modes, like God of War, and Monster Hunter.

I would expect 60fps games to proliferate even more in the new generation. There's only a handful of holdouts left and their developers have admitted before that the lack of CPU power is holding them back (Bungie with Destiny and Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed are two notable examples). There will always be 30fps games but I think for the first time since the 16 bit days they may get outnumbered.

You can't really market it, but people are aware of it, even the most casual players know what it is even if they can't explain what it is, and they gravitate towards it in the way that people naturally do towards things that are simply better.

I googled the top-20 of this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games and the only games that run at 60fps are The Last of Us Remastered, Gran Turismo Sport, FIFA 18, Knack and Call of Duty: WWII. So exactly 1/4 of the games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

I dunno, all the most popular franchises are 60fps games, and I don't think that's a coincidence. Perhaps "60fps" isn't a bullet point you can put up to appeal to people, but subconsciously at least they gravitate to games that offer that experience more than 30fps games.

The people who made that also made a game called Nuclear Throne which is secretly one of the best games of the gen. I'd recommend picking it up on Steam just because it's one of those games where mouse aiming really is better, but it is a freakin' awesome pick-up-and-play game that everyone should own. The aiming issue is kinda similar to Hotline Miami (also really good) whereby controller is okay and somewhat serviceable but it's so much more fun to play with a mouse and keyboard. While you're at it, also check out Downwell. These are all charming short-burst retro styled games that might have passed under your radar but if you like Minit watch some trailers/gameplay for these games and see if you dig them. They're some of my favorite games. Oh, Spelunky as well, that's also really good.

citation needed also gotta love the irony of saying that and then recommending a game thats hard locked 30fps on all platforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
the consoles can do 60fps, theyve always been able to, theres literally nothing stopping every game from being 60 fps except most people buying a console dont care