Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Looks like we might get AJ v Usyk next. Thoughts? Surely Usyk can't take a straight right from Joshua?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Ruiz couldn't even win the story of the fight.

Being cynical, I think AJ will fight his IBF mandatory Pulev, then drop the WBO so Matchroom can make a vacant title fight for Usyk v Joseph Parker or someone first

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Quizzlefish posted:

Looks like we might get AJ v Usyk next. Thoughts? Surely Usyk can't take a straight right from Joshua?

I would think Usyk needs a win at heavyweight other than a used truck salesman on late replacement which is why I think the Dillian Whyte rematch is next for Joshua.

This is not really based on much other than the size but I think Joshua is just way too big, too strong, too everything for Usyk not to get beaten in violent fashion.

EDIT:

Monday Bandele posted:

Ruiz couldn't even win the story of the fight.

Being cynical, I think AJ will fight his IBF mandatory Pulev, then drop the WBO so Matchroom can make a vacant title fight for Usyk v Joseph Parker or someone first

Oh yeah, forgot about Pulev. That's probably just as likely to happen next since he has had that IBF mandatory forever and a day.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 8, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have any thoughts on how Joshua compares, especially in light of his performance yesterday, against Wilder and Fury? I know fighters can adopt different tactics for different fighters, and I agree with what was said earlier about Joshua consciously playing it safe against Ruiz, but I also recall someone pointing out that Joshua's performance yesterday would never fly against Wilder. So that puts Joshua at the bottom of the three? Anyone want to disagree with that or add anything to it?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It’s been difficult for me to see Joshua avoiding Wilders right all night long and it’s also difficult to envision him taking that shot.

Fury is a bit more complicated, but in general, you’d have to think that the Fury that routed Klitschko probably does the same thing against AJ.

I definitely think he has a poo poo against both of them though.

I’m guessing AJ-Pulev is next. Pulev is relatively unrefined and not extremely dangerous despite refusing to lose against lower level heavies, so that should give us a better impression of Joshua’s general abilities.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Quizzlefish posted:

I agree with the poster below you that Anthony Joshua probably fights Kubrat Pulev next instead of Oleksandr Usyk. Joshua still needs a proper “get right” fight, and Pulev is a big stationary target who’s almost 40 and has marginal power. He’s the perfect opponent for Joshua to score a highlight reel KO against. Usyk on the other hand has a real chance to win, and would not be easy to look good against.

Which would likely mean that the WBO title becomes vacant and Usyk is able to fight Joseph Parker for the vacant belt.

EDIT: Apparently Usyk is supposed to fight Dereck Chisora in March.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 9, 2019

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As someone who doesn’t know his rear end from his elbows in regard to boxing is their anything else interesting coming up this year (currently have ESPN+} and is DAZN worth getting?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MazelTovCocktail posted:

As someone who doesn’t know his rear end from his elbows in regard to boxing is their anything else interesting coming up this year (currently have ESPN+} and is DAZN worth getting?

The only boxing card they have planned is Danny Jacobs vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr on the the 20th so if you're just going off the rest of this calendar probably not.

Edit: actually forgot about welterweight prospect Vergil Ortiz Jr who is fighting some guy on the 13th. Still not too much going on imo

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
If you typically order more than 1 boxing PPV card a year, getting DAZN is worth it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Next week Terence Crawford is fighting on ESPN in a fight that should be a wash, but crawford is always fun to watch. The comain though, is a legit bout between rising star Teofimo Lopez and lightweight champion Richard Commey. That one is a real pickem and Lopez is a super fun fighter to watch.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks guys. I don’t buy any Boxing PPV currently (or anything for that matter besides when I had FITE credit), but I don’t mind using a service. Having KSW MMA as a freebie would actually be cool as they do hilarious freak shows and awesome promos.

That said looking at DAZNs YouTube channel and I’m kind of surprised how much they show in recaps.

Kind of feel into a rabbit hole about DAZN after watching a Athletic video piece on them and a recode podcast with Jack Skipper. Very interesting. Also just love the son and father team. Great showmanship. I do like their idea of making the sport more “cool” in the sense of going after younger audiences. I’d be lying if I said boxing was generally as interesting from a production standpoint as MMA.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

IMO for $100 a year I feel like I've gotten more than my money's worth with DAZN, to the point where if there's a way to gift people annual membership I'll probably be doing that for a few people as holiday gifts.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DAZN is more than worth it for Boxing and Bellator. The Boxing isn't always good or majorly consequential but there's so much of it that you'll usually have something to watch if you have a lazy weekend at home or something.

It also has Darts, which owns.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

honestly, I'd watch the gently caress out of darts. or fall asleep in front of it, either or.

though it can't be as wild as darts in the 70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYl5AtR3AFI

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ha I totally forgot about Bellator and only noticed KSW at first.

Darts is also cool from what I’ve seen since the guys deliberately decided to make it like WWE.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on how Joshua compares, especially in light of his performance yesterday, against Wilder and Fury? I know fighters can adopt different tactics for different fighters, and I agree with what was said earlier about Joshua consciously playing it safe against Ruiz, but I also recall someone pointing out that Joshua's performance yesterday would never fly against Wilder. So that puts Joshua at the bottom of the three? Anyone want to disagree with that or add anything to it?

Joshua doesnt really have the physical advantages against Wilder and Fury that he does against other opponents. Both of those guys are just as big as he is and both of them have more heart and a better chin. He could outbox Wilder and win, but I think Wilder would catch him with a big shot and put him down. I dont think he has a chance against Fury, Fury is just a better boxer

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn’t the ban drinking at darts events? I’m glad their health will be preserved, but half the fun of darts is the rowdy crowd and watching people neck pints before throwing bullseyes.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

One narrative that I’ve been surprised by is that Ruiz lost the fight specifically because he came in heavy. It obviously hurt him, but I think even if Ruiz was in the best shape of his life Joshua was still probably beating him that rematch.

To be fair the best shape of his life is still probably pretty heavy.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Even with Joshua on his bike Ruiz had him hurt a few times. I think it's a matter of, if Ruiz is 10% more fleet footed then he has opportunities he didn't see in that second fight.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

The Ninth Layer posted:

Even with Joshua on his bike Ruiz had him hurt a few times. I think it's a matter of, if Ruiz is 10% more fleet footed then he has opportunities he didn't see in that second fight.

Think Ruiz would also be a bad matchup for wilder?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah I do although I would favor Wilder there. Ruiz hits hard, has fast hands, sports a good chin and can counterpunch.

My feeling is that Ruiz could come back and compete at the top level, I'm not of the belief his Joshua win was a fluke.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
If there is a line between promoting a fight and total insanity, Tim Bradley just threw up all over it

https://twitter.com/ESPNRingside/status/1204483009640108032?s=19

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

tough fight to call imo

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMMs new username posted:

tough fight to call imo

:thejoke: ?

Well joke or not the big post Heisman Top Rank show is tonight. Bud vs Mean Machine, Teofimo vs Comey and Conlan against the Russian who beat him at the Olympics. Lopez -Comey will be fight of the night and I have a feeling Conlan will lose because he is not a very good pro

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 14, 2019

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Conlan isn’t a very good pro but Nikitin is a bad one so I wouldn’t expect the upset here

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Any feeling that commey might win an upset here? Betting lines favor López

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think that’s distinctly possible, which is why I bet on a draw

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/hock1717/status/1206002405256712195?s=21

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

https://twitter.com/Hock1717/status/1206008752354332674

In case you were wondering, that indeed is that Danny Williams who beat Tyson back in 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK2-70FL5r8

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I appreciate Conlan for making this fun instead of winning easily.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Teofimo with a 2nd round stoppage of Commey.

Maybe the stories were true after all.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HOLY gently caress

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Jesus Christ.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Maybe he will be the one to beat Lomachenko. I don't even loving know any more.

EDIT: Give me all of the Teofimo vs Haney. I am as psyched as Tim Bradley on these ESPN broadcasts for that poo poo. DAZN make it happen

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 15, 2019

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

The SituAsian posted:

Teofimo with a 2nd round stoppage of Commey.

Maybe the stories were true after all.

what were the stories?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

thehappyprince posted:

what were the stories?

Honestly, I've been drinking pretty heavily but really I'm not aware of anything that actually happened but it's basically a continuation of the supposition that before he struggled with Nakatani earlier this year that Teofimo was just so impressive that he was going to not only beat, but wash, Lomachenko. It was more of a figure of speech

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That was a knockdown.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It apparently pissed Bud off, which is a good thing as far as just watching a fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The supposed pound for pound number 1 fighter getting rocked by and being reduced to coinflip exchanges with a top 15-20 welterweight gives me a serious case of "Peloton Lady" face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
All i can remember about randamie is her being kinda plodding and lovely so I'm feeling Nunes being a bad motherfucker here

e: oh god this isn't the mma thread