Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

Fun fact, human blood is the UK's #12 export

Going to crack the top 10 after the election results!

Captain Log posted:

I'm appreciative of all these posts about American military capability and breakdowns of America vs. The World. Interesting as all heck.

No doubt, comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah it’s a cool rear end name :haw:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

"My dearest Misty-Lynn-Anne,

It is truly horrible here. We lost the 4th Alabama Mud-truckin' Regiment to DUI's a week back. The legal fund is gone and I do not think any of those men will be saved. Thank heavens they lasted longer than the 28th Volunteer Tweaker Scouts out of Nashville. Those boys never made it out of town before title-pawn swooped in. A sorry business, cut down to the last Nissan Hardbody. I am fine, 69th Pennsylvania White Work-Truck division does little fighting (but do not tell them that. Ha Ha). Please send Redman twist and Monster energy drink, as we can not find these things here.

Yours truly,
Zebulon Asa Emil Cornelious van Aas"
:kiss:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

madeintaipei posted:

You can go to the Ram dealership and buy a dual rear wheel one-ton with 1,000lb-ft of torque and 400 hp right off the lot. Over 35,000 lbs. of towing capacity, lol.

Our technicals would resemble armored party-busses, just racks and racks and racks of ammo and beer.

It is truly horrible here. We lost the 4th Alabama Mud-truckin' Regiment to DUI's a week back. The legal fund is gone and I do not think any of those men will be saved. Thank heavens they lasted longer than the 28th Volunteer Tweaker Scouts out of Nashville. Those boys never made it out of town before title-pawn swooped in. A sorry business, cut down to the last Nissan Hardbody. I am fine, 69th Pennsylvania White Work-Truck division does little fighting (but do not tell them that. Ha Ha). Please send Redman twist and Monster energy drink, as we can not find these things here.

Yours truly,
I enjoyed this post

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My military issue shower shoes were stamped made in China and this made me very upset.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

madeintaipei posted:

You can go to the Ram dealership and buy a dual rear wheel one-ton with 1,000lb-ft of torque and 400 hp right off the lot. Over 35,000 lbs. of towing capacity, lol.

Our technicals would resemble armored party-busses, just racks and racks and racks of ammo and beer.

Yours truly,

:allears:

Memento posted:

Hey so just in case other goons thought this was something priznat made up as opposed to telling us the real, possibly sensitive name of a material, no, MEGTRON6 is very real and just about the best name I've ever heard.

amazing

PS> In the MRE thread it turns out the components of the Brit MRE are sourced from around Europe

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Memento posted:

Hey so just in case other goons thought this was something priznat made up as opposed to telling us the real, possibly sensitive name of a material, no, MEGTRON6 is very real and just about the best name I've ever heard.

It absolutely beats the hell of it's leading competitor Rogers 4350b, that's for drat sure

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Memento posted:

FWIW, it doesn't seem to be any kind of secret. Just one of those domain knowledge things you don't hear about unless you work in that industry. I found this quite interesting: https://www.protoexpress.com/blog/tale-of-two-materials/

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

My military issue shower shoes were stamped made in China and this made me very upset.

They probably put bugs in those shower shoes :tinfoil:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
F-16 elephant walk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxCn5r8sqWw

Question though, what is + hanging off the outboard pylon next to the wingtip on either side?

Example around 2:20

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Syrian Lannister posted:

F-16 elephant walk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxCn5r8sqWw

Question though, what is + hanging off the outboard pylon next to the wingtip on either side?

Example around 2:20

ACMI pod.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

i will always regret not being able to fly one of those beautiful pieces of machinery

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

TK-42-1 posted:

i will always regret not being able to fly one of those beautiful pieces of machinery

Me too.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nebakenezzer posted:

:allears:

amazing

PS> In the MRE thread it turns out the components of the Brit MRE are sourced from around Europe

The British mre equivalent is literally just stuff you can buy in supermarkets

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

https://www.unian.info/world/10790804-russian-mi-28-helicopter-crashes-in-krasnodar-area.html

quote:

Russia's Defense Ministry has confirmed the accident and the death of the pilots, Russia's Interfax news outlet wrote on December 12.

According to official reports, the accident occurred in difficult weather conditions near the Korenovsk airfield at about 23:00 (Moscow time) on Wednesday, December 11.

The Russian ministry said the Mi-28 was on a training flight carrying no ammo. No destruction to ground objects was reported.

Deputy commander of the 55th helicopter regiment for flight training Alexander Sklyankin and second pilot, squadron commander Ruslan Kushnirenko, were on board the helicopter, Telegram Channel 112 said.

According to the InformNapalm OSINT community, Ka-28 helicopters of the 55th regiment attacked Ukrainian tugboat "Yany Kapu" and two armored naval boats "Berdyansk" and "Nikopol," which were on a scheduled re-deployment from the Black Sea port of Odesa to the Azov Sea port of Mariupol, on the morning of November 25, 2018.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

INFORMNAPALM OSINT COMMUNITY is a weird choice for a name

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

C.M. Kruger posted:

It's not like we're the UK where 80% of our exports are "services."

“Singapore‐on‐Thames” i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a maize cob

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Continuity RCP posted:

The British mre equivalent is literally just stuff you can buy in supermarkets
Same with the Swedish ones. In fact the entire MRE package is an off the shelf day pack for hikers.

Why spend time and money on making something bespoke when hiking nerds have already solved the problem for you?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Check out all DEEZ BOTES

https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1206203393167036417

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ironic that they're doing this and also destroying the seas around China fast enough that by the time these ships reach the end of their operational life the South China Sea and East China Sea will be economically useless.

brains
May 12, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Ironic that they're doing this and also destroying the seas around China fast enough that by the time these ships reach the end of their operational life the South China Sea and East China Sea will be economically useless.

I don't think it's coincidence that their frankly amazing creation of a blue water fleet out of thin air coincides with the urgent desire to push way out past the 9-dash line because they've destroyed the entire ecosystem of everything inside it already.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

brains posted:

...because they've destroyed the entire ecosystem of everything inside it already.

This is sadly accurate.

:(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

That's gotta be hilariously expensive.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Expensive but the greatest real military risk from the sea unless Russia tries to invade by land because ??? All those boats will also be needed once they finish forging economic ties to Africa which is well underway. Show the flag, verify its their trade zone, shoot up pesky pirates.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

brains posted:

I don't think it's coincidence that their frankly amazing creation of a blue water fleet out of thin air coincides with the urgent desire to push way out past the 9-dash line because they've destroyed the entire ecosystem of everything inside it already.

I talked about it before in this thread and the China thread in GBS, but one of the things that China is trying to do is secure enough calories for their population in the future. They are painfully aware how much their actions and overall climate change are going to affect them. I think it was 27% of all rivers in China have disappeared in the last 30-40 years, and the rivers that are left are significantly polluted to the point where drinking from them is becoming cost prohibitive, and even using them to water crops is getting to the point where you're essentially growing heavy metal delivery packages shaped like vegetables. This is one reason why they are buying up overseas farmland in Africa and other places. A blue-water navy helps them protect these supply lines, as well as adds another level of defense to keep the US that much further off their shores. China relies on the SCS and their long-range fishing fleets to bring home enough protein to keep the populace happy and fed. Since they (like we've all mentioned before) have essentially stripped their home waters of all life, they are expanding into Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, and the Philippines traditional waters (rinse and repeat).

The fact that they have been fishing off of Argentina's coast, and being brazen enough to violate other nation's home waters across the planet (Argentina actually sunk a Chinese trawler) is pretty telling how their plans rely on them accessing new fish stocks, even if they have to go to the exact opposite side of the planet and violate other nations waters.

TLDR: Basically, China is worried that their remaining fresh water is going to be insufficient to grow enough food to feed their population, so they have to expand outwards or die. This means overseas agriculture and fishing to bring home enough food, hence the need for a blue-water navy.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

So are they gonna make Uighur lunchables before or after they start raiding the Philippines for long pig?

e: this isn't even funny, we're basically counting down to a calorie world war?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of wars generated by environmental collapse, the methane sensors at Barrow Alaska have jumped 100 points in the last season and are staying elevated. Nobody likes to say it but the most obvious new source of sustained methane release is hydrates at the bottom of the ocean, AKA the Methane Clathrate Gun, AKA human race is hosed.

Hard to predict the future as always but it currently looks like we're exceeding worst case projections. If that orange series keeps accelerating we are in bigger trouble, sooner, than the scientists have been saying. And the scientists up to now have been saying it's a worldwide catastrophe.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Blistex posted:

I talked about it before in this thread and the China thread in GBS, but one of the things that China is trying to do is secure enough calories for their population in the future. They are painfully aware how much their actions and overall climate change are going to affect them. I think it was 27% of all rivers in China have disappeared in the last 30-40 years, and the rivers that are left are significantly polluted to the point where drinking from them is becoming cost prohibitive, and even using them to water crops is getting to the point where you're essentially growing heavy metal delivery packages shaped like vegetables. This is one reason why they are buying up overseas farmland in Africa and other places. A blue-water navy helps them protect these supply lines, as well as adds another level of defense to keep the US that much further off their shores. China relies on the SCS and their long-range fishing fleets to bring home enough protein to keep the populace happy and fed. Since they (like we've all mentioned before) have essentially stripped their home waters of all life, they are expanding into Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, and the Philippines traditional waters (rinse and repeat).

The fact that they have been fishing off of Argentina's coast, and being brazen enough to violate other nation's home waters across the planet (Argentina actually sunk a Chinese trawler) is pretty telling how their plans rely on them accessing new fish stocks, even if they have to go to the exact opposite side of the planet and violate other nations waters.

TLDR: Basically, China is worried that their remaining fresh water is going to be insufficient to grow enough food to feed their population, so they have to expand outwards or die. This means overseas agriculture and fishing to bring home enough food, hence the need for a blue-water navy.

First you have Taiwan which they are obviously interested in controlling one way or another and the big Navy is necessary to credibly threaten them. Outside of that they also have territory disputes with pretty much everybody in the region where they'd like to own some of their clay and (like Taiwan) the big Navy allows for both deterrence of any foreign support for those nations and, if necessary, invasion. Then you have the 9 dash line territorial thing which, if they can pull it off, is more or less a way to brute force influence on the region by allowing them to control trade to and from a ton of their neighbors without declaring war - basically allowing unilateral embargoes under domestic Chinese law. Finally you have stuff like loving with India/Korea/Japan, projecting power in Africa, supporting illegal fishing operations, etc. as you mentioned.

Like Germany and Japan in the 40's you have a mix of concern over securing resources for the future along with simple nationalist/ethnic superiority goals going on - shoring up domestic power by beating up the neighbors and all that noise. Either way it's a really bad time to be living near China unless maybe you're Russia sitting on a giant pile of nukes.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 15, 2019

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

So are they gonna make Uighur lunchables before or after they start raiding the Philippines for long pig?

e: this isn't even funny, we're basically counting down to a calorie world war?

In a real shooting war, this is an unmanageable vulnerability for China. They need to import calories and energy for basic economic sustainment, and despite having an enormous coastline, they're critically exposed to blockade - not just from the US either, a second-rate power like Singapore or Australia could make a very threatening go at it. Unless China plans to control significant swathes of the first island chain, they simply can't protect shipping through critical points like the Strait of Malacca, and the brutal direct occupation which would be required to achieve that would be cripplingly expensive in blood, treasure, and international standing. We're not talking about Xinjiang here, Malaysia and Indonesia have a combined population of around 300 million people. The PLA is not large enough to get this done, and unlike the UK, they can't expect America to underwrite their security needs. Hopefully the leaders of the CCP realize this on some level, and won't push those countries into starting something with a predictable end, but they've not shown much willingness to learn the historical lessons of the 20th century to date.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Warbadger posted:

Like Germany and Japan in the 40's you have a mix of concern over securing resources for the future along with simple nationalist/ethnic superiority goals going on - shoring up domestic power by beating up the neighbors and all that noise. Either way it's a really bad time to be living near China unless maybe you're Russia sitting on a giant pile of nukes.

In a delightful turnabout, China is bribing Siberian barons to let them do whatever they want, apparently locals around Lake Baikal often see signs saying the region historically belonged to China

Blistex posted:

Terrifying

Also I guess elaborate methods to catalog non-han Chinese suddenly make sense, if you think you are going to have to triage populations. Here are the "real Chinese", here are the untermenchen...

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 15, 2019

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

How do you translate "soylent green" into mandarin?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I like DOOMINT as much as the next guy, but China is very near the point where it enters population decline. Its peak caloric requirements may already be behind it. Ditto the number of fighting-age men able to be fielded.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

hypnophant posted:

In a real shooting war, this is an unmanageable vulnerability for China. They need to import calories and energy for basic economic sustainment, and despite having an enormous coastline, they're critically exposed to blockade - not just from the US either, a second-rate power like Singapore or Australia could make a very threatening go at it. Unless China plans to control significant swathes of the first island chain, they simply can't protect shipping through critical points like the Strait of Malacca, and the brutal direct occupation which would be required to achieve that would be cripplingly expensive in blood, treasure, and international standing. We're not talking about Xinjiang here, Malaysia and Indonesia have a combined population of around 300 million people. The PLA is not large enough to get this done, and unlike the UK, they can't expect America to underwrite their security needs. Hopefully the leaders of the CCP realize this on some level, and won't push those countries into starting something with a predictable end, but they've not shown much willingness to learn the historical lessons of the 20th century to date.

Who exactly has learned the “historical lessons” of the 20th century. People keep throwing this around but really no one is using history as a way to determine foreign policy. Europe and the US are still loving around in the Middle East, Eastern Europe is still the play ground between Russia and Western Europe, and china is returning to form as the dominant player in Asia. So please explain what they should be learning from history.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

I like DOOMINT as much as the next guy, but China is very near the point where it enters population decline. Its peak caloric requirements may already be behind it. Ditto the number of fighting-age men able to be fielded.

This is true, but that really won't remove the rhetorical reasoning behind Lebensraum or stoking nationalism/ethnic conflicts to preserve power. It also may not remove the physical impetus to seize foreign resources given that even without factorng in climate change related impacts the environmental destruction in China isn't exactly stopping even if the population goes into decline.

Nebakenezzer posted:

In a delightful turnabout, China is bribing Siberian barons to let them do whatever they want, apparently locals around Lake Baikal often see signs saying the region historically belonged to China

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that. Also the random Chinese towns and mining operations that spring up on the Russian side of the border now and then. But for now it seems like more of a sideshow - people making some quick cash through corruption and maybe setting the stage for little green men in the future.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 15, 2019

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Trap loving sprung, I knew I'd get one of the china thread whataboutists with that

Briefly, the "who" is germany, japan, and russia, who all learned two things: the juice of contested military intervention abroad isn't worth the squeeze, and it's more profitable to work within the US-dominated international economic order than to try and supplant it. The statement "china is returning to form as the dominant player in Asia" is a perfect example of the kind of strategy that fails in the modern era. What has china won by this return to form? A slowing economy, ballooning military expenditures, the mistrust of its neighbors, and international opprobrium from the club it wants to join. It would have done much better to continue to liberalize economically and have a genuine corruption on crackdown, including allowing real criticism of the government, but the CCP bigwigs saw what happened to elites in the USSR after the collapse and panicked. They tried to tighten their grasp, and in the process the real prize of a genuine place of international leadership slipped away from them.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

hypnophant posted:

Trap loving sprung, I knew I'd get one of the china thread whataboutists with that

Briefly, the "who" is germany, japan, and russia, who all learned two things: the juice of contested military intervention abroad isn't worth the squeeze, and it's more profitable to work within the US-dominated international economic order than to try and supplant it. The statement "china is returning to form as the dominant player in Asia" is a perfect example of the kind of strategy that fails in the modern era. What has china won by this return to form? A slowing economy, ballooning military expenditures, the mistrust of its neighbors, and international opprobrium from the club it wants to join. It would have done much better to continue to liberalize economically and have a genuine corruption on crackdown, including allowing real criticism of the government, but the CCP bigwigs saw what happened to elites in the USSR after the collapse and panicked. They tried to tighten their grasp, and in the process the real prize of a genuine place of international leadership slipped away from them.

Really, Russia has learned not to enter into military interventions? And to be clear does your world view boil down to kowtowing to as to US system because I don’t think most countries will agree with you on that.

And China has won plenty for them to justify their position. Compare China to where it 20 years ago it’s now in a position to defend its interests. And let’s be honest, the issues with the neighboring countries aren’t a new thing, it’s just that the power balance has shifted. Sure China has a big stick now to go with its claims but it can and are also engaging diplomatically.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Compare China now to twenty years ago, then compare China twenty years ago to forty years ago, and tell me whether you think their trajectory is improving or not. China's GDP wasn't even measured until the 1980s, but it was the fastest growing economy in the world while it was "kowtowing to the US system" as you succinctly put it. Now that it has the means to "defend its interests" its growth has slowed dramatically. Note I'm not saying you need to follow the US's lead in all things, nor that globalization does not have its legitimate discontents. But trying to buck the system benefits the leaders (until it doesn't) at the expense of the populace. Quality of life is better in western-allied nations. The economic system and the willingness to play ball internationally are part of that success.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

hypnophant posted:

Compare China now to twenty years ago, then compare China twenty years ago to forty years ago, and tell me whether you think their trajectory is improving or not. China's GDP wasn't even measured until the 1980s, but it was the fastest growing economy in the world while it was "kowtowing to the US system" as you succinctly put it. Now that it has the means to "defend its interests" its growth has slowed dramatically. Note I'm not saying you need to follow the US's lead in all things, nor that globalization does not have its legitimate discontents. But trying to buck the system benefits the leaders (until it doesn't) at the expense of the populace. Quality of life is better in western-allied nations. The economic system and the willingness to play ball internationally are part of that success.

The economic slowdown really has little to do with the current political issues, export economies have slowed dramatically all over the world. Yes the economy was had huge growth in the 80s, 90s, and earl 2000s but it was also growing from a much smaller starting point. You cant keep double digit growth in a economy of China’s current scale. Never the less, it’s still growing at over 6% even by conservative estimates. Not to mention Chinas economy is switching over to having a larger consumer and service oriented industry rather than being dominated by manufacturing.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
China is going to get into a massive war sooner rather than later if they keep up with their internal economic policies, let alone with their adventurism abroad. No one here has mentioned the hilariously ambitious Jing Jin Ji project, basically it's a project to unite Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei (Hebei's nickname in Chinese is Ji) into one megacity with a projected population of around 120 million people. However to do this, they are building massive canals and dams from basically all the major rivers in China to Beijing just to supply the megaopolis with water, and there is a legitimate fear that they will dam the rivers going into Southeast Asia in order to fuel their own endless thirst for water. Not to mention the amount of internal displacement this would cause as major rivers either flood or dry up, depending on where you are.

MRC48B posted:

How do you translate "soylent green" into mandarin?

I'd guess something like 绿两豆 (lv liang dou) or literally green twobean, in chinese soybeans are called big beans and lentils are flat beans so it's kind of hard to mash them together into a good portmanteau.

Mazz posted:

Beep boop “China” PULL UP, “China” PULL UP

I only listen to bitching Betty if it's in the sweet French of a Rafale :colbert:

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Beep boop “China” PULL UP, “China” PULL UP