Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

You forgot an incredibly important part of your assessment, PMush.

Rhydon is both cooler and cuter looking than Golem by 50.

Rhydon's chunky red/green sprite is one of the better ones

meanwhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Unironically, I think it's the Fangs - Boltund and Dracozolt give you Strong Jaw users (before you can get to the third Hammerlocke Pokemon Center that actually sells the TMs) that can learn Fire/Thunder and Ice Fang respectively.

Yes, somehow Thunder Fang is on my shortlist of "best TMs".

You get the elemental punches and a few other less than stinkers at the goddamn battle tower.

But I agree. That TR mechanic was loving stupid and one of the biggest things about SwSh I absolutely cannot loving stand. I utterly despise when games and companies make good ideas and then try to backpedal it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Bogart posted:

Scald is so much better than Surf that it’s completely eclipsed the latter.

Surf deals more damage and hits everyone in Double Battles, so the two are pretty comparable, I'd say. But yeah, most of the high-demand TRs are very easy to acquire, and become essentially effortless to collect in the postgame, which is when you're most likely to need more than just one or two copies of a given move. I mean, the mere fact that the number of teachable moves has jumped up to two-hundred is pretty impressive, even if half of them require a bit of work.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

EclecticTastes posted:

Surf deals more damage and hits everyone in Double Battles, so the two are pretty comparable, I'd say. But yeah, most of the high-demand TRs are very easy to acquire, and become essentially effortless to collect in the postgame, which is when you're most likely to need more than just one or two copies of a given move. I mean, the mere fact that the number of teachable moves has jumped up to two-hundred is pretty impressive, even if half of them require a bit of work.

Surf hits your ally as well though, and has to contend with getting a damage reduction for hitting three targets even if you do somehow mitigate that ally damage, so I can't imagine it'd really be that much better than Scald in any scenario anyway.

Either way, bumping the teachable movelist up to 200 sounds impressive but honestly means jackshit when about half of it is filled with pretty worthless stuff like screech or moves that just shifted from move tutor to here, making the overall amount of teachable moves remain around the same anyway.

My biggest question is why TMs start at 00??? like why, the tm list has always gone up to 100 since xy and now it doesn't and it bugs me

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Polderjoch posted:

Either way, bumping the teachable movelist up to 200 sounds impressive but honestly means jackshit when about half of it is filled with pretty worthless stuff like screech or moves that just shifted from move tutor to here, making the overall amount of teachable moves remain around the same anyway.

My biggest question is why TMs start at 00??? like why, the tm list has always gone up to 100 since xy and now it doesn't and it bugs me

Given the number of moves that were cut from the game entirely, I feel like Game Freak is trying to encourage wider use of more obscure or utility-based moves (hence limiting access to "big ticket" moves and bringing back classic TMs like Mega Punch/Kick). Of course, this proves that they don't really get the player base, because all it means in practical terms is it takes some additional work to accrue the exact same pool of 20-30 moves that they always use in every game with minimal variation.

As to the new numbering, I figure they just decided sticking with two digits looked nicer.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Also the new mons have pretty limited TM/TR learnsets, especially before they're fully evolved. countless times finishing a raid was like "oh hey this TR drop looks useful! whoops nevermind none of my team can learn it lol"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

rannum posted:

Rhydon's chunky red/green sprite is one of the better ones

meanwhile

Yeah, but down the line Golem got the better treatment. Alolan Golem is much better looking then Rhyperior.
Although I have never got much use of those, since they require trading and I could never be bothered. I never realized that Rhyhorn has 140 attack either, this is great. Although I probably slept on him since he's too slow and ultimately fragile, since water attacks are really popular these days.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Polderjoch posted:

To me, at least, it feels pretty notable since it's the most moves that have been available in the first game released in the generation, instead of having to wait for the next set of games.

...Also there have definitely been questionable TM and Move Tutor move choices before.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

LiefKatano posted:

...Also there have definitely been questionable TM and Move Tutor move choices before.

I don't know what you're talking about. It's perfectly acceptable that Chansey's signature move, Softboiled, is a TM that only Chansey can use. Revolutionary game design.

(and Mew I know, gently caress off)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Chamale posted:

And because Chansey's Defense is so goddamn low, for it to be PVP viable you really want one with max defense DVs, so that means catching dozens of them and checking all their stats. Although you can find them in the Unknown Dungeon, which at least lets you use your stack of duplicated Master Balls.

Why not just use a Snorlax and spare yourself the trouble? :effort:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Why not just use a Snorlax and spare yourself the trouble? :effort:
Chansey has Softboiled and frankly absurd HP.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Why not just use a Snorlax gameshark and spare yourself the trouble? :effort:

Fixed for all playing your friends related issues.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You really can't overexagerate how ludicrously bulky Chansey is.

Articuno Blizzard vs. Chansey: 146-172 (20.7 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

This is the strongest special attack in the game.

Rhydon Earthquake vs. Chansey: 354-417 (50.3 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is the strongest non-hyper beam/self-destruct/explosion physical attack in the game (and incidentally the biggest reason why Rhydon is better than Golem imo, since Golem only gets the 2HKO 25% of the time). Even Chansey's weak defense requires an incredible amount of power to break through.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Blizzard isn't 100% accurate in gen 1 is it? How is it guaranteed anything?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Paused posted:

Blizzard isn't 100% accurate in gen 1 is it? How is it guaranteed anything?

It's not my region of expertise, but I think that calculation is with the provision that the attack hits. Chansey is guaranteed to survive 4 hits worth of damage from Blizzard.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Blizzard is 90% accurate in Gen 1, but yeah, the XHKO stuff is assuming the attacks are hitting and no crits, the probabilities are just based on the damage rolls.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Omnicrom posted:

I really wish they'd inverted TMs and TRs. Put the possibly situationally useful things into TRs and keep useful things in TMs.

What is a TR? And how is it different from TMs?

I only seriously played Pokemon through OG Gold/Silver so I don't know what this terminology means. :saddowns:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I only seriously played Pokemon through OG Gold/Silver so I don't know what this terminology means. :saddowns:

Technical Record. It's the same as the old TM system, where they're single use items.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

In Gen V TMs were made infinite use.

In Gen VIII they kept that but also added TRs which use the old system of 1 use, though at least you can buy/earn multiple of them in game. Generally they also split it up so that TMs are now the mid-power and general utility moves (Swift, Sunny Day etc) while TRs are the high power or moveset defining ones (Flamethrower, Blizzard etc)

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 13, 2019

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zore posted:

In Gen V TMs were made infinite use.

In Gen VIII they kept that but also added TRs which use the old system of 1 use, though at least you can buy/earn multiple of them in game. Generally they also split it up so that TMs are now the mid-power and general utility moves (Swift, Sunny Day etc) while TRs are the high power or moveset defining ones (Flamethrower, Blizzard etc)

I'm still not sure what the point of making them limited-use is anyway, especially in Gen I. Why artificially limit who gets what moves? Would it make the game too easy? Or if it's limited-use but can buy multiples, why do it that way? Just to artificially extend the amount of time it takes to craft the team of Pokémon you want? :confused:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm still not sure what the point of making them limited-use is anyway, especially in Gen I. Why artificially limit who gets what moves? Would it make the game too easy? Or if it's limited-use but can buy multiples, why do it that way? Just to artificially extend the amount of time it takes to craft the team of Pokémon you want? :confused:

With early gens I think it's just like...like a "game-y" thing. Like most of the moves in gen 1 weren't even competitive and while battling your friends has been in since day 1 of "capumon", the actual for-real competitive push was probably not something they planned. Instead it's just hey here's this weird move, teach it someone and maybe it'll be useful or help your guy stand out from your friends. And oh here's some REALLY good moves, better choose wisely to help beat the game!

I look early gens and see a scaffolding akin to "a game, featuring customizable monsters and you can fight your friends!" vs more modern of "a game about monsters that you customize, tune and battle your friends " if that makes sense. just that specific type of vibe.

And after that it just stuck around for tradition and then move tutors were sort of a way of bringing that back that also stuck around for tradition and that extends outward to the swsh tr stuff

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Was Pokemon the first "pure" RPG that let you fight your friends?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Yeah, TMs being restricted was the pokemon equivalent of, "Your party finds a sword of +2 orc slaying, who do you give it to?" They were the stronger moves and it let you do pretty much exactly what is shown in the lp and strategize about who would be best served having it. Bubblebeam was ape when you got it in red and blue and thunderbolt was end game good and you got it after gym 3. Letting everyone on your team get those would have been busted in an unfun way. Letting one dude be busted and special was really fun.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I have a theory that Surge was meant to be the 6th gym and Sabrina the 3rd. So Surge hands out a seriously powerful TM, while Sabrina has the lousy move Psywave. This also explains why you need to be psychic to solve Surge's puzzle, but teleporters are a piece of Silph technology.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Chamale posted:

I have a theory that Surge was meant to be the 6th gym and Sabrina the 3rd. So Surge hands out a seriously powerful TM, while Sabrina has the lousy move Psywave. This also explains why you need to be psychic to solve Surge's puzzle, but teleporters are a piece of Silph technology.

Nah, Gen 1 was just not very well thought out wrt balance.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

And really psywave is fine for the most part on a conceptual level. A psychic attack on gen 1 that dealt flat damage and could get around stuff like light screen and other psychic types was a pretty good niche.

Except they stupidly under tuned it and it was always better to just mash psychic anyway.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 14, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chamale posted:

That wouldn't make sense since the Gyms in Gen 1 follow a type advantage progression. Rock is weak to Water, which is weak to Electric, which is not very effective on Grass, which is weak to Poison, which is weak to Psychic. And then Blaine breaks it because Gen 1 Psychic has no real weaknesses at all.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

That wouldn't make sense since the Gyms in Gen 1 follow a type advantage progression. Rock is weak to Water, which is weak to Electric, which is not very effective on Grass, which is weak to Poison, which is weak to Psychic. And then Blaine breaks it because Gen 1 Psychic has no real weaknesses at all.

So you're saying he should have had 6 tauros with hyper beam?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

So you're saying he should have had 6 tauros with hyper beam?
5 Tauros with Hyper Beam and a Chansey.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

PMush Perfect posted:

5 Tauros with Hyper Beam and a Chansey.

5 Tauros with Hyper Beam and a Chansey with Softboiled and Substitute

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

I would just like to take this opportunity to note that it makes me sad on Blaine's behalf that the ultimate tool to use against him, Surf, is not just available, but mandatory to reach him at all. I've literally never heard of anyone having any trouble with Blaine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I would just like to take this opportunity to note that it makes me sad on Blaine's behalf that the ultimate tool to use against him, Surf, is not just available, but mandatory to reach him at all. I've literally never heard of anyone having any trouble with Blaine.

Fire's also just kinda bad in RBY. Ice is almost always paired with water, bugs are poo poo regardless, and that just leaves grass types as fire's natural targets. Nor is it just surf that fucks over Blaine, but earthquake and dig.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Hes better off than Lieutenant "right next to a cave full of moles he literally can't damage" Surge

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

FoolyCharged posted:

Hes better off than Lieutenant "right next to a cave full of moles he literally can't damage" Surge

Why do you think he's the biggest jerk in the franchise about actually letting trainers get to him?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Black Robe posted:

Why do you think he's the biggest jerk in the franchise about actually letting trainers get to him?

I still can't believe Twitch Plays Pokemon got past his puzzle on the first try.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If it wasn't obvious, things've gone on a short hiatus. Dunno when the next update will be coming; might not be until after the holidays are over.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

dotchan posted:

I still can't believe Twitch Plays Pokemon got past his puzzle on the first try.

That floored me. It was at that point I had to describe the whole Twitch Plays Pokemon to my girlfriend, who thought it was hilarious.

I've always had a Rhyhorn/Rhydon in my team in XY, because of mom. D'aw. Forgot how much of a badass it was back in Gen I.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, I literally forgot I was doing this LP. Guess I'll start working on Saffron City.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

So, I literally forgot I was doing this LP. Guess I'll start working on Saffron City.

Too busy trying not to die in a way that somehow involves a dragon in the flashback of another game? Tis cool. Tis a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FASSLP almost got away with it.