Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gatts posted:

Watching Greatest Events of WWII in Color and it flat out points out how Goebbels knew people would care about the truth but rather a more convenient and easy lie and it had to be repeated over and over until people succumbed to it and took it. Which is pretty much how Trump and the right wing operate. Both in the way Trump keeps repeating his phrases and how people become drained and used to the crime and corruption and expect it from them so it doesn’t shock them but they are somewhat numb to it.
Yes it’s the hallmark of fascism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Commiecasts should replace podcasts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

EwokEntourage posted:

Lindsey graham doesn’t even have an active bar card lol

we did it :toot:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ice Phisherman posted:

So I was going to respond in a different way, but then my eyes drifted to the left and saw your George Carlin Button.

Do you really believe that the public sucks, gently caress hope? And if so, why are you interested in politics?

I just read over your quite long post and I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make? That people think that disbarment procedures are too dumb and boring for that to be a viable solution? I'm not sure what you think the alternative is. I don't mean short-term, direct action stuff, because sure whatever. I mean, what form do you think the rules that govern the all the minutiae of professions and logistics and things that keep our society functioning that aren't 'boring'. Society runs on a whole lot of boring, which is largely only boring because people who aren't involved in that particular sphere don't understand their value or impact. Lawyers probably think disbarment procedures are pretty serious and interesting and worth discussion. All the accountants and inventory managers that keep big box stores in produce have 'boring' jobs, but the impacts are real and important. People as a whole don't want to have to pay attention to all the little cogwheels that keep society functioning; the only time they notice them is when they've stopped working, which is where we are now. Even now, they don't really want things to change, not as such. They just want them to start functioning correctly again.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/NickKristof/status/1204167750396108800?s=19

The cobra problem but real

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
How about instead of wasting all of this time/energy on the abstract idea of disbarring Lindsey Graham we just talk a whole bunch more about making political gains in SC and donating to Jaime Harrison?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimesarts/status/1205867849568403457?s=21

Hallmark channel base must be a terrifying group of people

Upside to this is that Zola, in response, cancelled all its advertising with Hallmark Channel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A similar thing happened in 2001-2002 when we offered a cash bounty for Taliban or Al-Qaeda prisoners, so militias would just nab random people and hand them over to the US military claiming they were the enemy

I know a few people ended up in Gitmo that way

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How about instead of wasting all of this time/energy on the abstract idea of disbarring Lindsey Graham we just talk a whole bunch more about making political gains in SC and donating to Jaime Harrison?

Hey now, Just because repeatedly filing bar complaints doesn’t work for pro se parties doesn’t mean it won’t work for goons

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

FlamingLiberal posted:

A similar thing happened in 2001-2002 when we offered a cash bounty for Taliban or Al-Qaeda prisoners, so militias would just nab random people and hand them over to the US military claiming they were the enemy

I know a few people ended up in Gitmo that way

Capitalism always finds a way (to make life horrible).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

His attempted burns are so badddd

it just comes off a pathetic and bitter. he reminds me of boomer friend of the family who helped me out a bunch but was super catholic conservative and she liked talking to me because i didnt like clinton and such but anyway she got super mad at ob ama helping the transition team and they just wanted him to gently caress off and that he would trick trump or some poo poo. trump has the same brains as his sheep because his narcissism and other poo poo have melted his brain and he believes the con now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Oh how I wish Mr. Dingell were still here to enlighten us with his tweets.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1205992385215229953?s=20

jesus christ, thats one of the worst things he has said in while including the greta poo poo.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
lindsay graham will definitely be disbarred

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cargo cult posted:

lindsay graham will definitely be disbarred

like really? isnt he too powerful for that?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

"Commiecast" is a term old boomer men on forums like dslreports use to complain about their cable rates being raised.

So in other words it makes perfect sense

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/marrowing/status/1206011174937956354?s=20

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

its a fake profile i think. joke one i mean.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

fool_of_sound posted:

I just read over your quite long post and I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make? That people think that disbarment procedures are too dumb and boring for that to be a viable solution? I'm not sure what you think the alternative is. I don't mean short-term, direct action stuff, because sure whatever. I mean, what form do you think the rules that govern the all the minutiae of professions and logistics and things that keep our society functioning that aren't 'boring'. Society runs on a whole lot of boring, which is largely only boring because people who aren't involved in that particular sphere don't understand their value or impact. Lawyers probably think disbarment procedures are pretty serious and interesting and worth discussion. All the accountants and inventory managers that keep big box stores in produce have 'boring' jobs, but the impacts are real and important. People as a whole don't want to have to pay attention to all the little cogwheels that keep society functioning; the only time they notice them is when they've stopped working, which is where we are now. Even now, they don't really want things to change, not as such. They just want them to start functioning correctly again.

A meandering point I suppose. A number of them, partially in response to others.

I think that we cede ground and lose time every time every time we yearn for decorum. Even to mock decorum is to give it power, because satire is an act which frequently looks to restore an old, existing order out of disorder. Capitalism subsumes all critiques into itself, even mockery and satire. And I think what's important is to stop pretending that this current order of things is real or meaningful. When someone asks about disbarment, I don't really think they care about disbarment. They're asking about how you punish Graham for being a shitheel and if it's possible to punish him in a way that would degrade him publicly and personally.

I have basically no respect for the law. No respect for police, nor lawyers, nor judges nor prison guards nor wardens. I can have respect for the individuals who fill those roles, but not the roles themselves. I only respect their ability to do violence. When the system flourishes, most of them serve that flourishing system. When it rots, they serve that rot.

I can't respect these positions of authority anymore, which I suppose is the first step to denying them their authority. I'm not someone who wants to throw bricks through windows and light trashcans on fire. I want there to be restorative peace and stability. But when someone asks how, what I view in a roundabout way, to strip Lindsay Graham of one of his honors no matter how symbolic, I really can't think of a way to do so through the legal system because he is one of its architects. His position gives him power even though he is an objectively awful person and that power protects him from conventional means of legal recourse.

I don't think that the system is going to start functioning correctly again until this current social order collapses. That can be a hard collapse like Russia or it can be a soft collapse like when someone has so much political capital that they get to rewrite what it means to be an American. Either way, everything is on the table. Everything can be changed. And we're overdue for a correction.

Most of society does run on boring, absolutely. And a lot of that boring is written in blood with the collapse of buildings or labor regulations that keep you from huffing fumes that give you cancer. That boring is what keeps things spinning. The legal code though? It continually becomes more and more bloated over time. A tool of the powerful. Add on top of that that the judiciary has been hijacked by bad faith actors because they suffer no consequences and if you respect the law now, just give it a few years where one third of federal judges are Trump appointees.

I don't think that there is any legal way to make Lindsay Graham to pay a price for his corruption and faithlessness. The people in power who can, won't, and so he continues because they've collectively figured out that there are zero consequences for their actions. The only people who will make him pay any price at all is ordinary people. Not because our politicians are incapable of doing so, but because they don't want to. So it's up to ordinary people. Unless we start electing people that we hold to a higher standard, we're largely on our own and all we have are ourselves.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 15, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ice Phisherman posted:

A meandering point I suppose. A number of them, partially in response to others.

I think that we cede ground and lose time every time every time we yearn for decorum. Even to mock decorum is to give it power, because satire is an act which frequently looks to restore an old, existing order out of disorder. Capitalism subsumes all critiques into itself, even mockery and satire. And I think what's important is to stop pretending that this current order of things is real or meaningful. When someone asks about disbarment, I don't really think they care about disbarment. They're asking about how you punish Graham for being a shitheel and if it's possible to punish him in a way that would degrade him publicly and personally.

I have basically no respect for the law. No respect for police, nor lawyers, nor judges nor prison guards nor wardens. I can have respect for the individuals who fill those roles, but not the roles themselves. I only respect their ability to do violence. When the system flourishes, most of them serve that flourishing system. When it rots, they serve that rot. I'm not someone who wants to throw bricks through windows and light trashcans on fire. I want there to be restorative peace and stability. But when someone asks how, what I view in a roundabout way, to mock Lindsay Graham, I really can't think of a way to do so through the legal system because he is one of its architects. His position gives him power even though he is an objectively awful person.

I don't think that the system is going to start functioning correctly again until this current social order collapses. That can be a hard collapse like Russia or it can be a soft collapse like when someone has so much political capital that they get to rewrite what it means to be an American. Either way, everything is on the table. Everything can be changed.

Most of society does run on boring, absolutely. And a lot of that boring is written in blood with the collapse of buildings or labor regulations that keep you from huffing fumes that give you cancer. That boring is what keeps things spinning. The legal code though? It continually becomes more and more bloated over time. A tool of the powerful. Add on top of that that the judiciary has been hijacked by bad faith actors because they suffer no consequences and if you respect the law now, give it a few years.

I don't think that there is any legal way to make Lindsay Graham to pay a price for his corruption and faithlessness. The people in power who can, won't, and so he continues because they've collectively figured out that there are zero consequences for their actions. The only people who will make him pay any price at all is ordinary people. Not because our politicians are incapable of doing so, but because they don't want to. So it's up to ordinary people. Unless we start electing people that we hold to a higher standard, we're largely on our own and all we have are ourselves.

agreed. apperently he isnt doing well in polling and if he keeps this poo poo up, he may very well lose.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

I have this comic up in my attic and it’s fantastic.

It’s seriously my favorite behind the Red Son book and the origin of Stormshadow.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
e: Removed to add a barrier to responses. fool_of_sound quoted it below if you want to see the original.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 15, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Besesoth posted:

Ice Phisherman, you spend a lot of time writing up posts for this thread to garden-path people into lectures, but what specific, concrete steps are you taking to make the United States a better place? Are you spending as much time on concrete action as you are on your posts not just in D&D but in this thread? Is it possible that when you write a post that's as long as many college essays, it might be better for you to spend that time on direct action?

Don't do this. It's a non-argument.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

fool_of_sound posted:

Don't do this. It's a non-argument.

Okay, my apologies. I don't think I agree with you, but your thread, your rules.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 15, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

His posts have a markov chain feel to them, or like glossolalia or another kind of automatic writing. I don’t think they actually mean anything.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Wisconsin judge's ruling could purge 200,000 from voter rolls
theguardian.com/14 Dec 2019
"A Wisconsin judge’s order to boot more than 200,000 people from voter rolls in the battleground state spurred condemnation from Democrats, amid claims of voter suppression.

If the decision stands, it could have an impact on the 2020 presidential election. In 2016, Donald Trump won Wisconsin by fewer than 23,000 votes. Subsequent contests have also returned tight margins."

1,000 pot convictions tossed as Kim Foxx expunges records of marijuana busts
chicago.suntimes.com/Dec 11, 2019
"In a hearing Wednesday afternoon at the Leighton Criminal Court Building, Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx stood before the circuit court’s chief judge and called for the vacation and expungement of 1,012 low-level, nonviolent convictions for possession of less than an ounce of pot.

The vast majority of the people who were granted relief at the hearing still don’t know it yet — but Foxx said they would be subsequently notified of the expungement of their cases by mail."

MLB removing marijuana from list of banned substances
thehill.com/12/12/19
"Major League Baseball announced Thursday that marijuana will no longer be considered a banned substance for players and that it will begin testing players for opioids, cocaine and other drugs."

In Late-Stage Zombie Capitalism, The Poor Are Selling Their Blood
commondreams.org/December 09, 2019
"Amidst America's "staggering" economic inequality comes word of a newly booming, truly macabre, literally blood-from-a-stone mode of survival for the poors: Repeatedly selling their blood plasma - for about 40 bucks a pop - to get through hard times. Today the U.S., one of the only developed countries where this sort of thing is legal, supplies 70% of the world’s plasma, making it the largest player in a highly profitable if morally sketchy $28-billion-plus global industry. Since 2005, the number of blood-plasma collection centers in this country has doubled to over 800, and blood now makes up over 2% of all U.S. exports, more than all our heartland's corn or soy products."

Jesus Is Gay in This Netflix Comedy and People Are So Mad
pride.com/December 13 2019
"A petition launched by Alex Brindejoncy to convince Netflix to remove the film from their streaming service has gained almost 1.4 million signatures as of December 13. The petition also calls for the comedy troupe that created the film, Porta dos Fundos (or, Back Door), to be held responsible for offending Christians, or something that roughly translates to “the crime of villainous faith” if you trust Google Translate."

"Nobody Is Above the Law" Events
impeach.org/
"Events are called for Tuesday, December 17th at 5:30 p.m. local time, but check your local event for a confirmed time and location. Numerous reports indicate that the House will vote on impeachment on Wednesday. December 18th.
"The night before the House of Representatives takes a somber vote to impeach Trump, we'll head to every congressional office and public square to declare that Nobody Is Above the Law as representatives finalize their positions and senators look on.

Join this historic nationwide mobilization on the eve of Trump's impeachment vote: RSVP for an event near you or sign up to host one. Events will be visible, family-friendly, public gatherings to demonstrate to our lawmakers that their constituents are behind them to defend the Constitution—and that Trump has left them no alternative to uphold their oath of office but to support impeachment and removal."

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1206031388882944002?s=20

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think anyone really disagrees with the core point here, that meaningful change is necessary to stabilize our society, but I have to agree with a lot of other posters here that the point is difficult to ascertain from your posts.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

"The report warns that a new generation of inequities are driving street protests and damaging societies — and they're on track to get worse."

Depends on one's definition of "worse".

Also: "Damaging societies."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A surprisingly bold acknowledgment of reality from npr.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Besesoth posted:

Ice Phisherman, you spend a lot of time writing up posts for this thread to garden-path people into lectures, but what specific, concrete steps are you taking to make the United States a better place? Are you spending as much time on concrete action as you are on your posts not just in D&D but in this thread? Is it possible that when you write a post that's as long as many college essays, it might be better for you to spend that time on direct action?

I'm PM you.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'll keep my responses short then because apparently people hate it when I type at length.
It's absolutely hilarious that you had the sack to start a 1200 word post like this.

People hate your faux-treatises because you consistently use word count to paper over the fact that your arguments are ill-conceived or incoherent. They are also almost impossible to appropriately respond to in a relatively fast-moving thread, forcing posters to latch on to one or two minor points in a sea of lorem ipsum fakery. If your post doesn't make sense in three sentences, it's not going to make sense in a hundred sentences.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Earth-shattering if true.

Otteration posted:

"The report warns that a new generation of inequities are driving street protests and damaging societies — and they're on track to get worse."

Depends on one's definition of "worse".

Also: "Damaging societies."

Well increased inequality does damage society

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
We Interviewed This Neo Nazi With Our Truck’s Front Bumper
thehardtimes.net/December 14, 2019
"In times of political turmoil, it can often be difficult to have respectful, open and honest conversation with those of differing opinions than us. In an effort to promote civil discourse, we here at the Hard Times decided to reach across the aisle and interview local neo-nazi activist Cloyd Kroeger. Kroeger was kind enough to accept the offer to chat with us, even as we repeatedly smashed into his body with a large semi-truck.

Hard Times: What compelled you to become a neo-nazi in the first place?

Kroeger: My legs! My loving legs!

You guys sure do like Hitler. What’s all that about? Do you think he’s cute?

I can see my own intestines!"

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Taerkar posted:

drat I'm shocked as hell that the wave of global protests, which often explicitly claim to be a reaction to entrenched wealth and power, are in fact a reaction to entrenched wealth and power.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

A surprisingly bold acknowledgment of reality from npr.

More like a cry for help in a rare moment of clarity during years of corporate Stockholm Syndrome.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Whelp, guess we're going to war with Mexico

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

Well increased inequality does damage society

Yep.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The left hates nevertrumpers because they are still broke brained racist republicans. They just wanted the other poo poo goblins in office instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Angry Sea Kitty tax: