Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

HM
13th December
ROH Final Battle 2019
Dan Maff vs Jeff Cobb

Nothing fancy or complex, just a well executed sprint between two hunks of beef. Crowd wasn't great but match was exceptionally fun. I'm glad Maff is still good.

2nd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

HM
13th December
ROH Final Battle 2019
Dan Maff vs Jeff Cobb

Nothing fancy or complex, just a well executed sprint between two hunks of beef. Crowd wasn't great but match was exceptionally fun. I'm glad Maff is still good.

Thirding this.

Also supporting:
HM: Kenny Omega vs. Kip Sabina, AEW Dark, 12/10
HM: Young Bucks vs. LAX, AEW Dynamite, 12/11
HM: Cody Rhodes & QT Marshall vs. Butcher and the Blade, AEW Dynamite, 12/11
HM: Lio Rush vs. Angel Garza, NXT, 12/11

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM: Shane Taylor vs. Dragon Lee, ROH Final Battle, 12/13

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

2nd

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

HM: Chris Brookes vs Konosuke Takeshita, DDT D-OH Grand Prix 12/14

there are a lot of other matches that probably deserve some nominations from this tournament, but this is the one I just watched that had one of my favorite wrestlers vs the DDT KO-D Openweight champion so I'm putting it up

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Draxion posted:

HM: Chris Brookes vs Konosuke Takeshita, DDT D-OH Grand Prix 12/14

there are a lot of other matches that probably deserve some nominations from this tournament, but this is the one I just watched that had one of my favorite wrestlers vs the DDT KO-D Openweight champion so I'm putting it up

*former* DDT KO-D Openweight Champion. This HARASHIMA erasure will not stand

But yeah 2nd. Check out Brookes/Endo, Chihiro/Takeshita, Brookes/Chihiro and Takeshita/Ishii too.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I thought something was up there, but wikipedia still had him as champ and I am far too sleepy to check cagematch.

One of my favorite wrestlers vs the FORMER KO-D Openweight champion, having lost it to the extraordinarily handsome 45 year old HARASHIMA. And speaking of Brookes/Endo it's about to happen again in a couple minutes here.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 14, 2019

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

HM; FinnJuice vs Evil/Sanada - World Tag League Final Dec 08th

Fun tag match that had a real nice finishing stretch and the right team won!

Nth - Really good match, crowd was super into it, and yeah the right team won. Finlay is finally feeling like a real member of the roster and not just a directionless Young Lion graduate.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
HM: Chihiro Hashimoto vs Chris Brookes, DDT D-Ou Grand Prix in Yokohama, A Block, 29th November 2019

Good match between the two outsiders in this block. The match really played to the strengths of both: Brookes played the slimy prick who's not afraid to bend the rules to take an advantage; and Hashimoto showed all of the power and intensity she has in Joshi which in this context makes her a massive babyface since its objectively cool to see her get her revenge and power bomb or suplex her much taller opponent - its actually really interesting to see her taken from an environment where she's almost always the strongest and most powerful wrestler in a match and put in one where she is sometimes the plucky underdog and she's so loving good at it. They got what was a rather quiet crowd (DDT house show so this does happen) invested in the match and into Hashimoto in particular and her victory got a big reaction from the crowd. Its not the best match Hashimoto has had in DDT (both of the Trios title matches this year top this one) but still a match I'd recommend watching especially if you like either person.

A good example of intergender wrestling done right: admittedly Hashimoto's amateur wrestling record automatically makes her more credible in this sort of match against an opponent like Chris Brookes but I think this still applies: it was just two good wrestlers having a very good match with the intergender aspect not really mattering. DDT do intergender the best of anyone and its honestly because they don't focus on it being intergender or have that as the main selling point or reason for having the match: since its normalised within the world they've built up they just do it and don't mention it and no one cares.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

MOTYC: Will Ospreay, Amazing Red, and Rocky Romero vs. Desmond Xavier, Zachary Wentz, and Trey Miguel - Warrior Wrestling 7, 12/13

Must-see. An amazing PWG-style sprint in the middle of Chicagoland, with a red-hot crowd.

HM: “Filthy” Tom Lawlor vs Minoru Suzuki - Warrior Wrestling 7, 12/13

It’s Suzuki in front of a crowd hungry to see him, locking submissions and throwing bombs. Certainly one of the best Lawlor matches that I’ve ever seen. Plus, you get Suzuki strangling a small child to boot:

https://twitter.com/mikekillam/status/1205754571810856965?s=21

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

HM: Chihiro Hashimoto vs Chris Brookes, DDT D-Ou Grand Prix in Yokohama, A Block, 29th November 2019

2nd, for sure

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Motyc: Lady Maravilla vs Big Mami: AAA Guerra de Titanes, 12-15

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

second

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Takuan posted:

I'll go HM - still a great example of AAA cluster working out

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Takuan posted:

Nth

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

IceAgeComing posted:

Nth. Don't now exactly what the backstory on the feud between Brookes and Sendai Girls but it brought some good fire for the match.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's Final Gate 2019, 12/15.

MOTYC: Mask vs Hair - Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa vs Naomichi Marufuji

THE PASSION! THE DRAMA! THE SUSPENSE! An instant classic of the apuestas genre that will surely be mentioned in the same breath as stuff like Atlantis/Villano III.

HM: Open the Brave Gate Championship - Kaito Ishida vs. Jason Lee

This was a very good match that could have been a very great match if they had gone like another couple minutes. Ended right as it felt like it was about to hit the finishing stretch.

MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - R.E.D. (Big R Shimizu and Eita) vs. Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO and BxB Hulk)

So it was like 5am when I watched this but I think this match might have been perfect? Just the right amount of heel bullshit that lead to a pretty flawless ref bump spot that then played into some pretty perfect babyfacing from YAMATO. When he hit the Fankensteiner of the Almighty, I literally threw my arms into the air in joy.

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Ben-K vs. Naruki Doi

This was pretty amazing, and probably Ben-K's best Dream Gate match of this run. The last five minutes or so in particular were fire with one of the best criss-cross spots I've seen in a long time. Absolute high drama at its best.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 15, 2019

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
HM: PAC vs. Michael Oku. RevPro Uprising 15/12

I know not many people will see it but this was just an excellent example of how to put an up and coming babyface over. Oku absorbed everything PAC had without it looking unrealistic. PAC was his usual hardworking, antagonistic self and the ending had everyone out of their seats. Genuinely think that Oku could be one of the next big underdog babyfaces

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Takuan posted:

Agree, I can't wait for it to show up on AAA YouTube in 5 to 5000 days.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

If you have Amazon prime you can link it to your Twitch account and subscribe to AAA's channel to view all their past streams.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

HM: PAC vs. Michael Oku. RevPro Uprising 15/12

I know not many people will see it but this was just an excellent example of how to put an up and coming babyface over. Oku absorbed everything PAC had without it looking unrealistic. PAC was his usual hardworking, antagonistic self and the ending had everyone out of their seats. Genuinely think that Oku could be one of the next big underdog babyfaces

Nthed. This is on NJPWWorld for those who have that.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Nthed. This is on NJPWWorld for those who have that.

I meant the one from tonight but the Super J Cup match is every bit as good

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Oops, I need to learn to read.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

NuclearPotato posted:

MOTYC: Will Ospreay, Amazing Red, and Rocky Romero vs. Desmond Xavier, Zachary Wentz, and Trey Miguel - Warrior Wrestling 7, 12/13

HM: “Filthy” Tom Lawlor vs Minoru Suzuki - Warrior Wrestling 7, 12/13

nth

Akileese fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 16, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dimebags Brain posted:

THE PASSION! THE DRAMA! THE SUSPENSE! An instant classic of the apuestas genre that will surely be mentioned in the same breath as stuff like Atlantis/Villano III.

I was half asleep through most of this show and just couldn't wake up so I only really feel confident in agreeing with one of this collection and will have to try to catch the rest at some future date.

That said, I'm going to have to 2nd this. The stips were great (Marufuji had only a 5 count on the outside while Ichikawa got a 20, & Ichikawa needed only 2 a count for a pinfall victory). So you've got one of the best wrestlers of his generation up against Naomichi Marufuji, who has had a pretty good career himself.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Davey Vega & Mat Fitchett vs. Trent Seven & Tyler Bate, OTT Live in Belfast: Banjaxed (5/25)

A very fun tag. I haven't seen too many matches of the Besties, but they did well here, and Mustache Mountain is of course very good.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

WMOTYC: Bray Wyatt vs. The Miz, WWE TLC 12/15/19

Miz's offense looked like poo poo the entire time and he still refused to lay anything in despite it being a blood feud.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Takuan posted:

nth

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

Miz's offense looked like poo poo the entire time and he still refused to lay anything in despite it being a blood feud.

nth, it was awful.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
As much as it pains me to do this, I have no choice.

WMOTYC: Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair vs The Kabuki Warriors, TLC 2019

This match was an uncoordinated sloppy mess. Charlotte and Becky looked like absolute loving poo poo and should NEVER tag again. Kairi wasn't great either but jesus loving christ.

Not to mention the audience HATED whenever Becky and Charlotte were on offense. And they are supposed to be your top faces. Jesus christ.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

This match was an uncoordinated sloppy mess. Charlotte and Becky looked like absolute loving poo poo and should NEVER tag again. Kairi wasn't great either but jesus loving christ.

Not to mention the audience HATED whenever Becky and Charlotte were on offense. And they are supposed to be your top faces. Jesus christ.

More evidence that Kairi and Asuka are awful heels if the crowd turns on Becky.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

This was a very good match that could have been a very great match if they had gone like another couple minutes. Ended right as it felt like it was about to hit the finishing stretch.

MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - R.E.D. (Big R Shimizu and Eita) vs. Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO and BxB Hulk)

So it was like 5am when I watched this but I think this match might have been perfect? Just the right amount of heel bullshit that lead to a pretty flawless ref bump spot that then played into some pretty perfect babyfacing from YAMATO. When he hit the Fankensteiner of the Almighty, I literally threw my arms into the air in joy.

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Ben-K vs. Naruki Doi

This was pretty amazing, and probably Ben-K's best Dream Gate match of this run. The last five minutes or so in particular were fire with one of the best criss-cross spots I've seen in a long time. Absolute high drama at its best.

Nth

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

the crowd was booing the miscommunications and weak/sloppy weapon shots, not booing becky and charlotte.

edit: also I agree WMOTYC. Incredibly sloppy, and dangerous everyone looked lost and that felt like that way even before Kairi's concussion. a majority of the match took place in front of the commentary tables too

Motyc: Lady Maravilla vs Big Mami: AAA Guerra de Titanes, 12-15 btw

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 16, 2019

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Dango Bango posted:

Agreed. Look at this terrible poo poo. https://twitter.com/WWEUniverse/status/1206393438595362816

I was hoping for something in the Abyss/Joseph vein and oof.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
MOTYC: More than Hype vs. Moonlight Express- OTT Contenders Sat 14 December 2019

That's Darren Kearney, Nathan Martin vs. Mao and Speedball Mike Bailey. It's a fucker of a match and should be seen by anyone who has eyes.

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

Nthing the hell out of this one and if there's a Post-Match of the Year award, it should also be nominated for that.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Bandido vs. Rey Horus, OTT WrestleRama 3 (6/23)
HM: Terry Thatcher vs. Mark Haskins, OTT WrestleRama 3 (6/23)

Two interestingly contrasting matches here, back to back on this card. The former, a spotfest with little background. The latter, a story deep match built around Thatcher's underdog status and Haskins and his wife just being the biggest jerks in the world. Both are a lot of fun.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Caristico vs Forastero, CMLL 12/16

This match was great in an unexpected way. The third fall is all referee Noriega trying to gently caress over Caristico. Every single pin attempt Forastero goes for gets a quick count, Caristico gets slow counts. Caristico gets madder and madder about this each time, and the crowd gets more and more behind him each time. Really, really entertaining match, Caristico controls a crowd better than anyone on the planet.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

Nth. Big Mami is a star. If she gets a US Visa in 2020 she's my pick for breakout star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

Dimebags Brain posted:

nthing these two, probably the rest too once I get through this show. Ishida/Lee should have been longer and better, gosh dang you RED shenanigans.