Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Fellis posted:

Any weight/length you are looking for? Some good stuff has been thrown out, but I’d also look up Oink Games as their unique thing is very compact rules-light games (~5-10 min a round, but add scores between rounds). Startups, Deep Sea Adventure, Fake Artist Goes To New York, and Maskmen are all excellent

Moaideas also has compact games that are a bit heavier: Symphony no 9, Tulip Bubble, Mini Rails are all good and are a bit heavier rules/length wise

I will say that Tulip Bubble can take up more space than you'd expect with four players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Fellis posted:

Any weight/length you are looking for? Some good stuff has been thrown out, but I’d also look up Oink Games as their unique thing is very compact rules-light games (~5-10 min a round, but add scores between rounds). Startups, Deep Sea Adventure, Fake Artist Goes To New York, and Maskmen are all excellent

Moaideas also has compact games that are a bit heavier: Symphony no 9, Tulip Bubble, Mini Rails are all good and are a bit heavier rules/length wise

I don't have a strict form factor in mind, no - it's more like, "the smaller it is the more likely we bring it". Weight isn't a huge concern though - the immediate use case I have in mind is flying to a destination where we'll rent a camper van for a week or so, but hopefully we'll like it and keep it around. We have an old sailboat, and when we're out with that we like to play games when we've moored for the night, but we usually only bring one game because it gets hard to stow more than one Settlers-sized box, and bigger boards like Power Grid just barely fit on the cabin table.

I'll look into your suggestions as well - thanks!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pospysyl posted:

I will say that Tulip Bubble can take up more space than you'd expect with four players.

Symphony No 9 doesn't, though. It's a good game that I like to describe as "an area control game where the area is Beethoven".

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

TheFluff posted:

We have an old sailboat, and when we're out with that we like to play games when we've moored for the night, but we usually only bring one game because it gets hard to stow more than one Settlers-sized box, and bigger boards like Power Grid just barely fit on the cabin table.

I'll look into your suggestions as well - thanks!

You should absolutely look into Fleet: The Dice Game if you are playing games on a boat and don't want a large game footprint, because I can't think of a more appropriate place to play a game involving boats.

Also in terms of packing size, you should look into throwing away inserts and repackaging/repurposing components, if one game has a bunch of cardboard money tokens, those can easily be points tokens or whatever in another game. Rules can also be stored digitally on a phone (many games have a .pdf version of the rulebook on boardgamegeek) which can save some space. I have a small box, about the size of a hardcover book, for Fuse (a co-op dice game), and I also store Parade, 6 Nimmt!, Pick Picnic, and Balk (all quick multiplayer games) in the same box. I also recently found that this amalgam will fit in The Estates box alongside those components.

It's a boardgame matryoshka

pospysyl posted:

It can, but you can condense the tulips also. You really just need to see the corner of each card, there's plenty of time to appreciate the art while you are waiting for other auctions to finish.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 14, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheFluff posted:

Hello board game thread! I'd like to ask for recommendations. I'm looking for a 4-player game that is physically compact, as in takes up as little space as possible in a suitcase or the like, and doesn't require a lot of table area. We're not new to board games but we're not super experienced either - we've played and enjoyed classics like Settlers, Carcassonne and Pandemic but we've also started branching out and have tried Power Grid and Archipelago recently. I'm looking to pick up Codewords, but maybe there are some other alternatives I should be aware of?

Tiny Epic Games would be right up your alley. Most people think the best one is Tiny Epic Spaceships, but I think all of them are pretty good in their own way. They are all very tiny, support 4 players, and come in a box roughly the size of a Betamax tape:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Fellis posted:

Also in terms of packing size, you should look into throwing away inserts and repackaging/repurposing components, if one game has a bunch of cardboard money tokens, those can easily be points tokens or whatever in another game. Rules can also be stored digitally on a phone (many games have a .pdf version of the rulebook on boardgamegeek) which can save some space. I have a small box, about the size of a hardcover book, for Fuse (a co-op dice game), and I also store Parade, 6 Nimmt!, Pick Picnic, and Balk (all quick multiplayer games) in the same box. I also recently found that this amalgam will fit in The Estates box alongside those components.

It's a boardgame matryoshka
These are wise words. I currently have 3 pink games, a deck of normal cards and hive chilling in my Colt Express Expansion box (stupid carriage doesn't fit in the main box so I need to keep it). I'm started printing labels to add to my boxes to show what else is hiding in there.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Rad Valtar posted:

This is how I felt most of this year. I played a bunch of new games at Grandcon and felt like 1 or 2 is all that would even boot anything I have out of my collection. The industry has just become so big that we get more fluff with the good games. It’s not even that there are less good games every year it’s just there are more of the mediocre ones to drown them out.

Not sure how that's going to work out. Are the mediocre ones going to die off? Are there going to be fewer MWE's or more? At the end of the day, if these MWE's aren't profitable, there's no way they can be sustained at the rate they are coming out now. I think that's partially why more are moving toward 18xx's, they actually can bring something new to the table.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rutibex posted:

Tiny Epic Games would be right up your alley

Tiny Epic Games are poo poo and they take up a massive amount of space despite their dumb name.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Tiny Epic Games are poo poo and they take up a massive amount of space despite their dumb name.

Uh duh of course they do. They are Tiny Epic games, not just tiny games.

Cramming a bunch of poo poo into the box is part of charm. They are not just compact, the are absurdly compact! Tiny Epic Tactics uses the box itself as a pieces of 3D terrain:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 15, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm not going to engage with you and your bad faith recommendations I'm just warning the newcomers to the thread about your nonsense

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm not going to engage with you and your bad faith recommendations I'm just warning the newcomers to the thread about your nonsense

:confused:
I'm not trying to play some kind of trick. I genuenly own these games and like them?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tiny Epic Galaxies is decent and has a fun solo mode. I have it on good authority that all the others are trash.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wow, all these games look both tiny AND epic! As a newcomer to the thread I think I will buy them all

e: oh nooo they all suck!! wtf!!!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Just put rutibex on ignore if you're asking for recommendations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Tiny Epic Galaxies is decent and has a fun solo mode. I have it on good authority that all the others are trash.

They're not, honestly. I won't run down the whole list, but Mechs is pretty good and Quest and Zombies are both playable. Defenders is the only one that is outright trash.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I know you guys don't like Rutibex, but we can stop with the bad faith nonsense. As a whole these forums have a poor understanding of what that terms means and it's being thrown around for any opinion people disagree with. Unless you actually think Rutibex is trolling, in which cause that's a really long con, because the dude has been posting consistent opinions about board games forever.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I got suckered in by the theme of Quest and it's pretty middle of the road. It's a perfectly ok kind of point salad game that just feels a little unfocused that both simultaneously moves fast but isn't particularly tight while doing so. It honestly feels like they just came up with the idea of meeples that can hold weapons and tried to design a game around it.

I adore SRPGs and Tactics hits me in the exact right spot but I won't be fooled again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Megasabin posted:

I know you guys don't like Rutibex, but we can stop with the bad faith nonsense. As a whole these forums have a poor understanding of what that terms means and it's being thrown around for any opinion people disagree with. Unless you actually think Rutibex is trolling, in which cause that's a really long con, because the dude has been posting consistent opinions about board games forever.

He consistently posts the most off the wall awful recommendations, specifically to newcomers to the thread. Even if he’s doing so in good faith, they’re almost always garbage recommendations for the person. For a while he recommended Talisman to everyone looking to get into boardgames.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 15, 2019

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I have a buddy who has Cosmic Encounter on his Christmas list. I play games with this guy, so I really don't want to get him Cosmic Encounter because then I'd have to play it (also it's more than our agreed-on budget anyway). They group likes Ethnos, they like the dumb Binding of Isaac game I posted about before, but they also like Gloomhaven. They mostly don't like things that are too heavy. They like Game of Thrones Catan. They like Rick and Morty.

Help me find a game in the $30 price range that they might like but that would also be fun for me, a dude who mostly has similar tastes to the rest of the thread. Fantasy/sci-fi, mid-weight, thematic. Co-op is good, and competitive is good but if it's competitive then it should be on the shorter side and not too strategic.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

I have a buddy who has Cosmic Encounter on his Christmas list. I play games with this guy, so I really don't want to get him Cosmic Encounter because then I'd have to play it (also it's more than our agreed-on budget anyway). They group likes Ethnos, they like the dumb Binding of Isaac game I posted about before, but they also like Gloomhaven. They mostly don't like things that are too heavy. They like Game of Thrones Catan. They like Rick and Morty.

Help me find a game in the $30 price range that they might like but that would also be fun for me, a dude who mostly has similar tastes to the rest of the thread. Fantasy/sci-fi, mid-weight, thematic. Co-op is good, and competitive is good but if it's competitive then it should be on the shorter side and not too strategic.

Roll/Race for the Galaxy, Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert? Clank in Space seems good for them but would depend how picky you are with deckbuilders that aren’t the god Dominion/VotK.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kiranamos posted:

Roll/Race for the Galaxy, Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert? Clank in Space seems good for them but would depend how picky you are with deckbuilders that aren’t the god Dominion/VotK.

They've already played Race, Trucker, and Space alert with me because I own those games. Roll for the Galaxy could work, but I think it's a bit too expensive. But that idea reminded me of Tiny Epic Galaxies, which might just be perfect.

Thread consensus is still that Galaxies is the best Tiny Epic game?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

They've already played Race, Trucker, and Space alert with me because I own those games. Roll for the Galaxy could work, but I think it's a bit too expensive. But that idea reminded me of Tiny Epic Galaxies, which might just be perfect.

Thread consensus is still that Galaxies is the best Tiny Epic game?

Galaxies is the only one I actively like.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Jimbozig posted:

It's not fantasy/sci-fi, but The Jaws boardgame is pretty good and $30 at Target

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
VAlley of the Kings + Expansion run about 30 bucks for a nice mid-weight egyptian themed deckbuilder.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I have a box with two of the VotKs in it (can't remember exactly which) that I'll ship to anyone that wants it for the flat rate box price ($7 I think). Don't need it now that I have premium and happy to pass it on.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Jimbozig posted:

I'd say Istanbul, but it might be on the drier side for the group described. What about Not Alone? 1 Vs All gives them the co-op feel, it's got good theming, and it's pretty snappy.

Looking at Amazon, it's actually going for way cheaper than your stated price right now. Maybe get the expansion as well?

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Bottom Liner posted:

I have a box with two of the VotKs in it (can't remember exactly which) that I'll ship to anyone that wants it for the flat rate box price ($7 I think). Don't need it now that I have premium and happy to pass it on.

I'd be happy to take you up on that. Just let me know where to send my info. Thanks!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Phelddagrif posted:

I'd be happy to take you up on that. Just let me know where to send my info. Thanks!

email/paypal is defeldus gmail send me your address!

I just realized tomorrow is Sunday and I'm going out of town tomorrow evening for a week so no rush, I'll get it out around Christmas when I'm back.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Got to play Eclipse yesterday. First time in about a year? Only the 7th time playing ever, if I have my count correct. Boy, I love this game.

So it turns out that buying the only Improved Hull tech early and then lucking into the Rift Turret discovery (though it was my only discovery tile for a long while) is a supremely busted combination. Multiple players sent 6+ ships with antimatter cannons at my 4 cruisers. They stood absolutely no chance. We noticed the misprint of it not using energy but saying it needs one in the manual, but my ship was still legal even if it took an energy.

It seems I am not the first one to notice this. People in that thread talk about many things I noticed, like how if you can select a ship to damage, if you have 4 ships with 9 HP, then it doesn't really matter if I occasionally damage myself.

Like, normal cannons average around (value / 6) * (computers / shields) damage per turn. [Please ignore that that is not real algebra, you know what I mean.] So Ion does 1/6th a damage per round, antimatter does 4/6th per round. If you have a decent computer for +2, that goes to 1/2 or 2 damage per round respectively by tripling your chances. Of course, if you divide this by the amount of power it takes, then they are actually equivalent per point of power: 1/6th of a damage per round per power.

The rift die has 2 blanks, a 1, a 2, a 3 and damage self, and a damage self. Just considering damage output, it averages 1 entire point of damage per round per die, so that means that the Rift Turret does 2 points of damage per round per energy, which is 12 times more effective than conventional cannons. With only one die, the conventional Rift Cannon is merely 6 times more effective. Even if you had nice computers and were rolling for 4s (as one of the players was against me), conventional Rift Cannons are still twice as effective from a damage output perspective over time. Also, keep in mind that it completely ignores opposing shields, so it's not like it's sometimes bad. It is always crazy efficient and crazy consistent.

One of the players talked about maybe removing that from circulation, and I might agree with him. Though maybe we can get rid of the Discovery tile and play it as the 2nd Ed errata?

For any Eclipse players out there, what are the goon-approved houserules / inclusions / exclusions for your games of Eclipse?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheFluff posted:

Hello board game thread! I'd like to ask for recommendations. I'm looking for a 4-player game that is physically compact, as in takes up as little space as possible in a suitcase or the like, and doesn't require a lot of table area. We're not new to board games but we're not super experienced either - we've played and enjoyed classics like Settlers, Carcassonne and Pandemic but we've also started branching out and have tried Power Grid and Archipelago recently. I'm looking to pick up Codewords, but maybe there are some other alternatives I should be aware of?

Lighter, tinier games: Wind the Film, In front of the elevators, Ars Alchimia, Startups

More complex, larger games: Tokyo metro (especially if you like the likes of power grid, if you want more of this style try 1830 and 1889), Import/export

The largest of these is about 4"x3"x8". I actually took I/E along with a couple other games in the box backpacking.

I'm actually in the middle of making a tiny version of 1849 and bottom liner here has made a tiny version of food chain magnate, if you're looking into playing heavy economic games that are small. But these will require laminating, pasting, and cutting the components.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bottom Liner posted:

He consistently posts the most off the wall awful recommendations, specifically to newcomers to the thread. Even if he’s doing so in good faith, they’re almost always garbage recommendations for the person. For a while he recommended Talisman to everyone looking to get into boardgames.

If the question is "I'm looking for 4-player games that I can transport easily for travel purposes", how are the tiny epic games off the wall, other than you personally dont like them? I've only played the western one, thought it was okay myself (wouldnt necessarily recommend it, but wouldnt avoid playing it again either), but it definitely fits the question. I've seen tiny epic quest set up, and it takes a surprising amount of space (although still not really unreasonable, but maybe more than you would have on a boat?) so if that had been the recommendation then I'd see a bit of your point. But "this series whole marketing point is about the exact thing you asked for" seems fair.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Ah yes I forgot taste was objective, that's why we all just play 18XX and COIN games as they are thread approved good ™

Also you don't know what bad faith means, stop saying it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Guys, you really should not waste time defending either TE games or Rubitex.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
It’s barely a game but Amazon is starting to clear out Dropmix and most of the expansions.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Jimbozig posted:

The only two I like that no one has mentioned are Eminent Domain if you like deck building and Pulsar 2849 which is a mid weight dice drafting game.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Jimbozig posted:

Sounds like your friend would probably actually enjoy Cosmic Encounter.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

It's unfortunately out of print, but Quantum would be perfect for this situation, if you can find it.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Jimbozig posted:

The captain is dead seems like a good fit for this.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I played Camel Up for the first time last night and I didn't hate it. It's a pretty good game for that particular weight/playtime slot.

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

The captain is dead seems like a good fit for this.

It's ok but as I was playing it I was just thinking "I could put this time toward playing Space Alert or Galaxy Trucker"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Old Swerdlow posted:

It’s barely a game but Amazon is starting to clear out Dropmix and most of the expansions.

Shiiiiiiiittttttttttttttt this nonsense has been a huge hit at parties in the past, thanks for the heads-up.

Also I didn't know that TE Mechs was out or that TE Tactics was a thing. Someone talk me out of both of them, please. TE Galaxies isn't that good.