Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Darth Seraphim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Yeah, I'm going to have to ask you to mail that to me once it's done for... eh... quality assurance. Required by law, I'm afraid *innocent whistle*

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Calling this guy done. Now for the base.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Max Wilco posted:

Is it this one? Looks like it costs a little more than the Tamiya Extra Thin, and it's not rated as highly, but comes with more in the bottle.

I don't know if can't afford to lose any more brain cells. I didn't have that many to begin with.

Still, I like using the Tamiya more than super-glue. :downs:

Yeah, that's the one. Does the same thing, (melts the plastic) and it works great for warhams. I don't like gorilla glue vs loctite, because for some reason gorilla glue gets really fragile on me as it ages, fortunately though, this isn't as much of a problem since I've got pretty much all plastic figures at this point with only a few old lead and white metal minis left to be painted.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Bistromatic posted:

I'm currently converting some Stormcasts to big skeleton warriors. Do any of you have good tutorials or references for Armor damage handy? There's some obvious things I could do with blade, dremel and soldering iron but specific tips on patterns and types of damage would be great.

Cool, doing something along these lines to make a Wight Queen out of Neave Blacktalon.
Most damage would be piercing or blunt, so typical damage would a smaller hole or rent for piercing and and a crater or dent from blunt.

You could also think about what kinda weapons, adversaries, and magic effects they might encounter.
These are painted on damage I've done, I wouldn't to any cracking on plate mail, bite marks would be appropriate for AOS too.

Here are some tutorials for how I did some of the effects:
https://www.goonhammer.com/author/skails

It looks like a piercing blow would also result in a small crater.

These videos from nightshift are how to make impacts on scale model tanks, but some of the techniques could translate. For dents you could use drill bits of various sizes to dig shallow depressions. Plate armor is going to be much thinner than tank armor so the things he does with using putty to make a ridge around the crater would be unnecessary.

https://youtu.be/8I3lY0zQPbg

https://youtu.be/N9tkYqRLyRY

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I need a suggestion, I want to seal a paper banner and Elmer's glue is a little too opaque. Should I go with mod podge or another way? Gel medium? Clear gesso?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I need a suggestion, I want to seal a paper banner and Elmer's glue is a little too opaque. Should I go with mod podge or another way? Gel medium? Clear gesso?

Are you watering the Elmer's glue down at all?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Zuul the Cat posted:

this but matte medium works too

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Zuul the Cat posted:

I had not...I will give it a try!

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 12, 2019

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Water it down quite a bit. I made a Handbook for the Recently Deceased last year for halloween. I just printed out a piece of paper with the image on it then glued it down to the book with watered down elmers glue. It dries clear, you should be good. Let me know if it works!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Will do, I'll try it again tonight!

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

So I bought Aekold Hellbrass but he didn't come with his standard icon. Anyone know where I can find only the icon the sale?

Also, I plan on trying to convert a 40k unit into Aekold because I want a melee Tzeentch champion for kill team. Any idea what unit might be a good choice as a base for a conversion? I'd like to use the bigger primaris bodies, but I'm open to suggestion.

I plan on using thermoplastic to copy the garb/scaled skirt design and helm, and maybe even the sword (although the chaos chosen holding the big rear end sword with the huge horns from Dark Vengeance might be worth cannibalizing).

Edit: I didn't realize just how monopose that chaos chosen model is, there's no way I can use it without destroying it.

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 13, 2019

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ineptitude posted:

The plastic cement fumes are dangerous?

It's already troublesome enough that undercoat spraying should be done outside in 21C or warmer weather (thats like 3 days a year where i live) but i gotta glue the minis outside as well?

In my experience the "sunny dry days only!" thing for spray paints is way overstated. I live in Scotland. Its usually cold and wet. I find as long as I warm the cans (put them in a sink full of water you can still put your hands in, dont be daft and use boiling water or anything) and shake them for longer than you think you need to the paint goes on fine. I wouldnt do it while it was still actively raining (or snowing), but in breaks between downpours you can still get decent coverage.

I also dont do much to mitigate plastic cement fumes, but then I'm rarely doing more than a half dozen miniatures at a time, and I mainly work in a fairly large room with decent air flow anyway. I put them on the other side of the room while they are drying, but thats about it.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I have finished Pedro save his back banner. This was fun to build and paint!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does any company other that Reaper make generic Christmas-ey or wintery miniatures?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Reaper makes a few holiday Sophies, which... eh. But this stuff is good!

What do people use for fallen leaves? I've seen punches used, but I also vaguely remember reading about natural dried herbs, tea leaves, or seed pods or something that people use.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

moths posted:

What do people use for fallen leaves? I've seen punches used, but I also vaguely remember reading about natural dried herbs, tea leaves, or seed pods or something that people use.

Rooibos tea makes excellent autumn foliage in my experience. And it smells nice, too :3:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up a test ghoul for my Flesh Eater Courts.

My idea is to give the whole army very pale skin tone, with the ghouls having cooler skin tones & the bigger lads having warmer skin tones. This ghoul was sprayed Wraithbone, then glazed with a thin wash of Drakenhof Nightshade + contrast medium with the recesses hit with a secondary coat for shadows.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

moths posted:

Okay. Christmas Eve and Christmas Knight is a great loving pun. I also never knew I wanted to paint a nativity scene until now.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Skails posted:

Cool, doing something along these lines to make a Wight Queen out of Neave Blacktalon.
Most damage would be piercing or blunt, so typical damage would a smaller hole or rent for piercing and and a crater or dent from blunt.

You could also think about what kinda weapons, adversaries, and magic effects they might encounter.
These are painted on damage I've done, I wouldn't to any cracking on plate mail, bite marks would be appropriate for AOS too.

Here are some tutorials for how I did some of the effects:
https://www.goonhammer.com/author/skails

It looks like a piercing blow would also result in a small crater.

These videos from nightshift are how to make impacts on scale model tanks, but some of the techniques could translate. For dents you could use drill bits of various sizes to dig shallow depressions. Plate armor is going to be much thinner than tank armor so the things he does with using putty to make a ridge around the crater would be unnecessary.

https://youtu.be/8I3lY0zQPbg

https://youtu.be/N9tkYqRLyRY

Thanks a lot for this, this is awesome and useful!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh yeah that Rooibos tea looks perfect. I might mix in some Italian herb mix for variation. Thanks!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
A friend gave me a gazillion Reaper figurines he got from a Kickstarter campaign because he doesn't have time to paint them. So here's a Roman Gorilla. Still a work in progress, like for instance it's a bit glossy because I haven't varnished it yet, and the base is obviously not finished.

Any C&C welcome!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

moths posted:

Oh yeah that Rooibos tea looks perfect. I might mix in some Italian herb mix for variation. Thanks!

Now that I'm off my phone, and at my keyboard, I could elaborate a little more. I use a mixture of green tea (smells awful), rooibos tea and punched leaves (dried autumn leaves + GSW punches) for my foliage. I don't have any pictures, since none of my projects are completed, but it looks really nice on an earthy base.

e:
Extremely quick and dirty demonstration

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 13, 2019

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I knew my rooibos was good for the garden, I'll have to try it as basing flock too.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

moths posted:

I have most of those "normal" ones already.

I made the mistake of painting up some of the holiday mouselings for my parents and grandparents when cash was tight in college. Now they want something like that every year and I'm running out of options. I avoid the cheesecake or overly fantasy minis because the recipients are conservative Midwestern old people.

I'd do the nativity scene option, but the options are to piecemeal it over years one figure at a time or give everyone a full scene at once. Neither seem like good options.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Instead of going Christmas specifically, you could try some of the other mouslings?

Edit: The promotional 12 Days of Reaper minis are also going on sale separately tomorrow, if any of those ones would work. I know it's fantasy, but that cat dragon is heckin' cute. :3:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

Does any company other that Reaper make generic Christmas-ey or wintery miniatures?
Not actually season specific, but Bad Squiddo has a ton of animals that you could make small Christmas scenes with.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

moths posted:

Birch seeds (of varying types of Birch) are great if you want to have a fall dead foliage look.

Its like five bucks for a bag that big off Etsy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are there any good paint on primers? Canada is very cold.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Vallejo and Stynylrez.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Professor Shark posted:

Are there any good paint on primers? Canada is very cold.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Vallejo and Stynylrez.

Can confirm. I use both, would recommend using black/grey/or brown- brush on white primer leaves a splotchy finish that takes so many layers to get a smooth base coat.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Skails posted:

Can confirm. I use both, would recommend using black/grey/or brown- brush on white primer leaves a splotchy finish that takes so many layers to get a smooth base coat.

Agreed. Also seconding the recommendation for Stynylrez, it's the Badger brand for airbrushes, but it's really good as a brush on primer and my painting buddy who teaches mini painting uses it almost exclusively since he prefers how it sprays and coats.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Adding a vote for both Stynylrez and Vallejo primers as brush-on primers. I don't have any kind of airbrush setup, and I only begrudgingly use rattlecans, so those primers are great alternatives to use with a brush.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Any recommended brands for someone wanting to try the zenithal priming/painting method?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I want to try painting black Orruk armor. Is Eshin Grey dark enough or should I go for Vallejo's German Grey?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

tangy yet delightful posted:

Any recommended brands for someone wanting to try the zenithal priming/painting method?

Rattlecans? Pretty much any pair of black and whilte (or whatever dark/light combination you are using. For a treeman type miniature I had some success with a mushroom brown pray, zenithally highlighted with a light sand colour) cans will work. Honestly most of the ones I use are car primers from a pound shop

If you are using an airbrush, I'm less help as I dont use one myself, but I would imagine its similar; Whatever dark airbrush primer and light airbrush paint you have to hand will probably work fine.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I use black and white or grey and white stynlrez, works great.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Furism posted:

I want to try painting black Orruk armor. Is Eshin Grey dark enough or should I go for Vallejo's German Grey?

Corvus Black is the answer you seek.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Floppychop posted:

I have most of those "normal" ones already.

I made the mistake of painting up some of the holiday mouselings for my parents and grandparents when cash was tight in college. Now they want something like that every year and I'm running out of options. I avoid the cheesecake or overly fantasy minis because the recipients are conservative Midwestern old people.

I'd do the nativity scene option, but the options are to piecemeal it over years one figure at a time or give everyone a full scene at once. Neither seem like good options.

Just gonna day, piecemeal nativity might not be as bad an option as you think. Slowly building up their mini-nativity scene over a few years might actually be something they really look forward to each year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

YMMV but after finding it a bit hard to get nice smooth gradients with white primer I've switched to using paint for that layer. I use Stynlrez for black and grey primer but whatever you want to use is fine.