Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hakimashou posted:

From the columnist who predicted this disaster and was right when he warned what corbyn was doing to labour years ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/15/do-not-look-to-labour-to-defend-the-institutions-johnson-seeks-to-destroy

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1203226501702926336
https://twitter.com/davidcoppin/status/1204718455204777984?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/davidgraeber/status/1206147181666820096

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

gradenko_2000 posted:

*Corbyn refuses to commit to leaving an undemocratic, neoliberal institution controlled by German bankers*

"ah, you see, the problem was that Labour moved too far left!"

french pols seem to think he lost because he was antisemitic or islamist lol what a useless country i live in

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Kurtofan posted:

french pols seem to think he lost because he was antisemitic or islamist lol what a useless country i live in

at least you didn't vote tory

or did u

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

lorn Wayne posted:

at least you didn't vote tory

or did u

i can't vote i'm not from britain or in britain

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

when has that stopped anyone

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

genericnick posted:

What you keep willfully ignoring is that the exact same leadership got a vastly better result in 2017 with broadly the same policies and campaign in in the face of the same right-wing smear campaign. It didn't stick then. The only thing that changed is the Brexit position and the Tories' categorical refusal to discuss any policy. Of course the Leadership looks shifty if they change their position on the one thing that dominates all news coverage.

That’s not really true. This campaign featured lots of new policies constantly being announced, a different and much less effective slogan, and lacked a clear central message (esp compared to Tory message discipline). Labour had allowed the antisemitism issue to fester unresolved for two years (and even if people don’t care about the issue the signals it sends about rigidity and the inability to deal with a problem are bad). Brexit was obviously a factor, as I’ve said, but I can’t believe people won’t acknowledge it wasn’t the only factor given the polling figures.

On the other hand, there was a totally untrustworthy opponent, the country had suffered a further two years of austerity and hostile environment etc, and the Labour vote share still plummeted.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
hmm yes the very real and true labour antisemitism issue, if only the leadership could do the one clever trick that makes right wing media stop lying about leftists

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
must have been nice to have a serious challenger to the status quo. ah well, nevertheless

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Kurtofan posted:

millions of french folk walked through the chunnel to vote illegally for bojo before heading back for a breakfast of black coffee and baguettes, so i hear :trumppop:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

it looks close on the map. i assume what like 20-30 minutes max to mozy on foot under the bitich channel?? :hmmyes:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bulgakov posted:

millions of french folk walked through the chunnel to vote illegally for bojo before heading back for a breakfast of black coffee and baguettes, so i hear :trumppop:

i would'nt be surprised if the french people in london were mostly pieces of poo poo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

RottenK posted:

hmm yes the very real and true labour antisemitism issue, if only the leadership could do the one clever trick that makes right wing media stop lying about leftists

Would that be the nonexistent issue that McDonnell, Naz Shah, and Len McCluskey amongst others have all acknowledged?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

what part of "you already let the mask slip, gently caress off liberal" was unclear to you

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

RottenK posted:

so

burn down daily mail and guardian hq

got it

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

therattle posted:

Would that be the nonexistent issue that McDonnell, Naz Shah, and Len McCluskey amongst others have all acknowledged?

yes, and trying to appease the lying media was a sign of weakness because the media just kept lying anyways, as they always do

lorn Wayne posted:

so

burn down daily mail and guardian hq

got it

god no, that would be a crime

now if the entire press went up on fire spontaneously and with no connection to labour, that'd be great

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

i think the one thing corbyn got wrong is when he went on tv and screamed at a team of rabbis 'I HATE JEWS. HATE EM. THIS IS ME CORBYN, SAYING THIS'

definite misstep, imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

therattle posted:

I mean the issue went away as soon as they acknowledged it, right?

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Corby and Labour just needed a snappy, quippy message to counter the Tories message discipline.

I'm thinking "HOLOCAUST 2.0!" would have a certain je ne sais quoi

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Kurtofan posted:

i would'nt be surprised if the french people in london were mostly pieces of poo poo

Yeah but they're probably overwhelmingly FBPE types

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yinlock posted:

what part of "you already let the mask slip, gently caress off liberal" was unclear to you

A number of senior Labour figures, and even JC himself (grudgingly, belatedly) have acknowledged that antisemitism was an issue and badly handled. You can pretend this isn’t the case and had no bearing on how voters perceived Corbyn but that doesn’t stop it being true. Even if a filthy verminous liberal points it out. I am not sure what mask you’re referring to anyway; my dislike of Corbyn was made clear at the outset. I’m desperately disappointed Labour lost so badly, and I think he and his faction have a lot of responsibility for it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean the issue went away as soon as they acknowledged it, right?

No, because even after eventually acknowledging it it was badly handled, thus allowing it to run and run. And the longer it tom for Corbyn to acknowledge, the worse it looked. Even if he didn’t believe the allegations (I don’t know either way) at least McDonnell had the political nous to recognise that the perception that there was a problem had to be addressed.

therattle has issued a correction as of 12:24 on Dec 15, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

therattle posted:

A number of senior Labour figures, and even JC himself (grudgingly, belatedly) have acknowledged that antisemitism was an issue and badly handled. You can pretend this isn’t the case and had no bearing on how voters perceived Corbyn but that doesn’t stop it being true. Even if a filthy verminous liberal points it out. I am not sure what mask you’re referring to anyway; my dislike of Corbyn was made clear at the outset. I’m desperately disappointed Labour lost so badly, and I think he and his faction have a lot of responsibility for it.

No, because even after eventually acknowledging it it was badly handled, thus allowing it to run and run. And the longer it tom for Corbyn to acknowledge, the worse it looked. Even if he didn’t believe the allegations (I don’t know either way) at least McDonnell had the political nous to recognise that the perception that there was a problem had to be addressed.

reminder that before corbyn got control of the NEC the complaints team were deliberately loving up complaints of antisemitism to discredit him

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/leaked-emails-reveal-labours-compliance-unit-took-months-to

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the mask was the idea that you're engaging in even remotely good faith instead of just regurgitating smears you read in the guardian

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

therattle posted:

The IRA was probably more relevant to British voters, but yes. You might not like it but it’s there. There was a campaign to promote the view that Corbyn supported the IRA (which it seems he did, at least to a degree), because Tories knew it would work.

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1206168845897080832

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

69% of british people want imperialism and the british empire actually taught in schools. because of course its not right now. i learned of the suez crisis long after i finished school

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

if I’m elected pm ill divert all trident funding into arming the IRA

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Woe betide Britane

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yinlock posted:

the mask was the idea that you're engaging in even remotely good faith instead of just regurgitating smears you read in the guardian

It’s not a mask. I want Labour to do well. I think the Tories are disgusting and Johnson even worse. The word evil is overused but it probably applies to him and people like Patel. I can have sincere beliefs and opinions which are counter to yours. That doesn’t make me operating in bad faith. I have also posted polling data which supports my argument. I have not really seen anything in response. I could as easily say that you are all operating in bad faith and repeating hagiography you read in the Canary or Skawkbox.

For instance:

quote:

The Observer’s pollsters Opinium have revealed their own analysis of the reasons people rejected Labour: 43% cited the leadership, 17% its policy on Brexit, and 12% its economic policies. Among Labour defectors – those who voted Labour in 2017 but didn’t this time – 37% mentioned the leadership, 21% Brexit and 6% its economic policies.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-result-jeremy-corbyn-brexit-labour-boris-johnson-a9246046.html?amp

quote:

Among Labour voters who switched allegiances to the Tories, 45 per cent cited Mr Corbyn’s leadership as the main issue while 29 per cent of those who defected to the Liberal Democrats did so.
These aren’t opinions. They are facts which are steadfastly ignored.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Jose posted:

69% of british people want imperialism and the british empire actually taught in schools. because of course its not right now. i learned of the suez crisis long after i finished school

Suez Crisis is the bad bits, they want to hear about how we saved everyone with railways.

That said, I think we do need to be stronger on looking normal when it comes to cultural stuff like watching the Queen's Speech. It's a subtle gap between liking British stuff and being a gammon though.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

eta until smoked honey glazed gammons are available for the holidays???

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

therattle posted:

These aren’t opinions. They are facts which are steadfastly ignored.

you saying the issue is corbyn and not a wall of lies is an opinion choosing to ignore facts

the "problem" was the lie, which it is fair to say we didn't deal with. Handing the party back to less competent people isn't a solution.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Nobody watches the queen's speech or gives a poo poo and his answer was bad

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
we too have sincere beliefs and opinions and one of those beliefs is "we hate your entire ideology and will never support you again", there's nothing you can say that's going to make the left stop hating blairism or want to give any power to a centrist backstabber

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The BBC getting brutally owned lol

https://twitter.com/JohnSimpsonNews/status/1206010631763234817?s=19

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Its definitely fair to say "lets hope the albatross of JC's polling is washed away in a campaign just like in 2017" was, in retrospect, a bad idea to combine with "lets not campaign in the north" and here we are

Again, giving any semblence of power to anyone whose bright ideas just cost us 42 seats, not a solution.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

lmao they spent the entire election sabotaging labour and bootlicking tories and they still get this because they weren't bootlicking hard enough for the right's tastes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RottenK posted:

we too have sincere beliefs and opinions and one of those beliefs is "we hate your entire ideology and will never support you again", there's nothing you can say that's going to make the left stop hating blairism or want to give any power to a centrist backstabber

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

RottenK posted:

https://youtu.be/kHHitXxH-us

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Fun reminder that talking to the IRA, those dudes we made peace with, is bad, because Brits don't think dialogue with an enemy is ever legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

liberalism and leftism are literally two different, separate ideologies, nice try lib