Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Agent355 posted:

I had a rare technology pop up that would let me put all my civilians into a chemical bliss state. I turned it on after I researched it because I had to see what it actually did. How much does that production loss really matter?

Well apparantly it matters alot and I can't change it back for a decade and there is no way I can not have my empire destroy itself with the resource deficits I just created.

Hippy communes never work.

Also to extrapolate I don't mean literally 'how do I buy unity' I mean 'what do I spend excess food, ore, consumer goods, etc' on. There must be a reason you would want to do more than just break even on the resources, I can't see where I can actually do anything with them that isn't an automated upkeep cost.

Excess anything should be gifted to empires you want to be friends with. Do not Federate! Hippie communes work fine, fanatically egalitarian xenophiles is easy mode. Turning races into blissed out ninnies who are too stoned to move is an authoritarian move, not very hip at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I picked this up on gamepass for the Xbox and after a day or two of watching some videos I actually learned how to play it! I e never played this type of game before. I only have two planets and some destroyers. But it seems to be going well and I don’t find it a struggle. It is definitely a game to get lost in for hours.

Having a huge problem figuring out two things though.

I am basically sitting at zero influence points. 0+0. I think I spent a lot on frontier stations to expand my borders and get access to minerals, I have no clue how to earn influence points. I’m basically stuck now because I can’t colonize or build any more frontier stations or vote on leaders or anything.

Is there a way of building a station in a system without a colonizable planet? I wanted to build defenses in choke point systems but see no means of doing that.

Should I be building unity things like churches so I can expand those edict trees?

I hope I didn’t screw up the influence thing because I do really like how this game is going so far.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blind Rasputin posted:

I picked this up on gamepass for the Xbox

:eyepop:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

PittTheElder posted:

Mind you I do have the Distributed Start mod on, maybe that hosed it up somehow but I don't see how.

Depends, their movement is all script so if the mod changes systems too much they might not be able to find a valid path.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I turned them off right after they added the option and havent looked back. Too many times their special system spawned in a choke point or something like that, their fleet annoyed the poo poo out of my by trying to leave my space into a Badboy civic species then bounced back, so I dont feel like I'm missing anything - am I wrong?

You will never get the ultimate pun event and host a MegaCorpse concert :(

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

I picked this up on gamepass for the Xbox and after a day or two of watching some videos I actually learned how to play it! I e never played this type of game before. I only have two planets and some destroyers. But it seems to be going well and I don’t find it a struggle. It is definitely a game to get lost in for hours.

Having a huge problem figuring out two things though.

I am basically sitting at zero influence points. 0+0. I think I spent a lot on frontier stations to expand my borders and get access to minerals, I have no clue how to earn influence points. I’m basically stuck now because I can’t colonize or build any more frontier stations or vote on leaders or anything.

Is there a way of building a station in a system without a colonizable planet? I wanted to build defenses in choke point systems but see no means of doing that.

Should I be building unity things like churches so I can expand those edict trees?

I hope I didn’t screw up the influence thing because I do really like how this game is going so far.

1. You get 3 base influence per turn, you can get more by pleasing your factions (factions show up at 2230 or something), you can get .5 more per turn by declaring other factions your rivals. This makes them not like you very much obv. You will CONSUME influence per turn with diplomatic agreements with other civs, as well as promoting/subdueing factions. If you have a whole ton of trade agreements, research agreements, non-aggression pacts, etc, you can end up at 0 influence a turn. Cancel some.

2. You upgrade your starbases from outposts (rank 0 basically) to actual starbases. You can select the outpost you want to upgrade from the system view. You can only build so many actual starbases in your empire, it goes up with the number of systems you control and tech tree stuff.

3. Maybe! If you aren't a spiritualist civ you get to build a statue thing that gives both unity and societal research, you can only put one of them on a planet and they're pretty good. Spiritual civs get an even better version. Whether you build one or not depends on what you're focusing on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You pretty much always want the Temples, Unity is too hard to come by without them.

Did somebody ever make an XBox thread? They're basically two different games now.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Ooo does this mean that strike craft are finally worthwhile? I’ve always wanted to make a “space aircraft carrier” out of a cruiser but my understanding has been that strike craft are (or were) hot garbage compared to other weapon types.

If you've been hunting space amoebas, the amoeba flagella strike craft is roughly equivalent in power to T3 strike craft. They can genuinely put some serious hurt on your foes.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

Do not Federate!

Why?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

This hands your foreign policy over to a committee of AI players. Rarely worth it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Depends, their movement is all script so if the mod changes systems too much they might not be able to find a valid path

Huh well they finally started going around after 150 years. Any education guesses as to what would make them behave that way? There was a space amoeba fleet next door to them, but that system wasn't between them and anywhere else. They weren't ermergency jumping away from said ameobae either, they were just stationary.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I had my first space battle. A 650 strength like fungus space race but it was just a single fleet without any planets they seem to be from. Vs my 730 strength gaggle of corvettes and destroyers with cannons and energy drain weapons. Tore them to shreds.

Is there some option to change the camera or hide the hud so you can see space battles in more glory and coolness?

Still having tons of trouble with unity. I declared a few civs rivals and got rid of a frontier outpost i needed and I’m like +0.8 per turn. It’s so little i can’t send colony ships anywhere. Totally sucks! I think my frontier outposts are draining it the most. I don’t understand how supporting or suppressing factions works AT ALL so I’m quite worried about choosing the wrong thing and going under.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I had my first space battle. A 650 strength like fungus space race but it was just a single fleet without any planets they seem to be from. Vs my 730 strength gaggle of corvettes and destroyers with cannons and energy drain weapons. Tore them to shreds.

Is there some option to change the camera or hide the hud so you can see space battles in more glory and coolness?

Still having tons of trouble with unity. I declared a few civs rivals and got rid of a frontier outpost i needed and I’m like +0.8 per turn. It’s so little i can’t send colony ships anywhere. Totally sucks! I think my frontier outposts are draining it the most. I don’t understand how supporting or suppressing factions works AT ALL so I’m quite worried about choosing the wrong thing and going under.

You're playing the xbox version which is rather different to the Steam version, but factions still work the same. That is to say you should never bother suppressing them, since it does basically nothing. For the most part it doesn't matter too much what they think, the big one is that if you're playing a spiritualist empire they get really annoyed when you start researching advanced robots and AI.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

This hands your foreign policy over to a committee of AI players. Rarely worth it.

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Federations#Federation_President

If you’re the strongest member of your Federation, you gain automatic control of your Fed Fleet, which is stupidly powerful. Like “Extra Doomstack of 2/3rds your max fleet strength” powerful. Allows you to punch way above your weight class.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
doesn't really help if your allies don't let you go to war

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It should also be noted that at some point the federation fleet will hit its hard fleet cap and after that all extra fleet cap being contributed to it is wasted. At least that's changing with the upcoming DLC.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

You guys talk about this game like it’s one of the most complex 4x games on PC right now. Like, the stuff you all describe just blows my mind. Maybe console edition is just much more simple? Or do these things like (complete machine cultures and all sorts of the other stuff you guys talk up) come way late game? How long does it take in hours played of one game to get to that stuff? It all seems like a really really slow crawl through research and the snails pace of colonizing new worlds and struggling with resource micromanagement.

I watched a thing about the megastructure dlc and just.. just can’t fathom how in heck anyone could ever afford those things. Are there seriously upgrades to mining that make each spot of land pump out 1000 minerals each per tick or something?

Maybe I’m just missing something the first time through is all, it’s super fun and engrossing but feels ultra slow.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Blind Rasputin posted:

You guys talk about this game like it’s one of the most complex 4x games on PC right now. Like, the stuff you all describe just blows my mind. Maybe console edition is just much more simple? Or do these things like (complete machine cultures and all sorts of the other stuff you guys talk up) come way late game? How long does it take in hours played of one game to get to that stuff? It all seems like a really really slow crawl through research and the snails pace of colonizing new worlds and struggling with resource micromanagement.

I watched a thing about the megastructure dlc and just.. just can’t fathom how in heck anyone could ever afford those things. Are there seriously upgrades to mining that make each spot of land pump out 1000 minerals each per tick or something?

Maybe I’m just missing something the first time through is all, it’s super fun and engrossing but feels ultra slow.

It is pretty slow. I dont think the game is all that complex, in fact i often find the depth a bit lacking.

Your income ramps up quickly due to having more planets and there being research for getting more resources per miner/technician/etc.

For instance, you start with like 20 to 30 mineral income but can ramp it up to 200 pretty quick. 500 is usually fairly easy to get.

Alloy production is a bit more difficult but keep in mind that megastructures take a LONG time to build.

I usually aim for 500 alloys per month or so, it's enough to cover your needs most of the time unless you're upgrading citadels while building megastructures and building battleships.

Anything more tends to be wasteful and end up disappearing into the void of the resource cap, i found.

There are also 2 megastructures, the dyson sphere and the matter decompressor, which upgrade your base income tremendously.

Ecumenopolis help your alloy production a lot as well.

Machine empires are from the synthetic dawn dlc.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 15, 2019

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Blind Rasputin posted:

The PC version has gone through vast changes and the console version has not kept up. The person who replied talking about upgrading starbases? Doesn't apply to the XBox version. The post above talking about alloys? Doesn't apply to the XBox version.

This is not to say that the XBox version is bad, it's so different at this point that it's a some people prefer A/some people prefer B situation.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Rasputin posted:

You'll work out more optimal ways to make dough the more you play, really. The more space you control, the more mining stations you can have, and the more planets you can colonise to put mines on. You'll also get a bunch of researches that increase their output, but it's mostly a case of volume, and using it efficiently. In any case, megastructures are a pretty long-term, endgame consideration.

The 'machine cultures' depends what you mean. There's a robot DLC (Synthetic Dawn) that lets you play as a robot 'hive mind' kind of empire with its own mechanics, and they themselves have a few different varieties: you can just be a regular machine empire, you can be a Driven Assimilator which turns captured biological pops into cyborgs, a Rogue Servitor that puts biolgical pops into little 'mandatory pampering' domes and gets bonuses based on how many it's taking care of, and Determined Exterminator which is Skynet that won. There's also a regular empire ascension path which is about merging your empire's biological minds with synthetic bodies.

Also Stellaris is about playing many games until 4am to really get the hang of.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

MadJackal posted:

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Federations#Federation_President

If you’re the strongest member of your Federation, you gain automatic control of your Fed Fleet, which is stupidly powerful. Like “Extra Doomstack of 2/3rds your max fleet strength” powerful. Allows you to punch way above your weight class.

Right, but my understanding is that the console version is still stuck back in loving Apocalypse or the patch after.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

Right, but my understanding is that the console version is still stuck back in loving Apocalypse or the patch after.

It is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah the frontier outposts are supposed to be a substantial influence drain, and you need to get them replaced with planets when you can.

As for Promoting/Suppressing factions, don't do it at all. The effect is really small and the influence cost is huge, you should ignore it in 99% of games.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PittTheElder posted:

As for Promoting/Suppressing factions, don't do it at all. The effect is really small and the influence cost is huge, you should ignore it in 99% of games.
yep, I had a game where I was drowning in influence and did this, suppressed the spiritualist faction and promoted the materialist faction. after like 50 years materialists were at 75% and spiritualists were at like 5%, so it DOES eventually work somewhat, but it will take loving forever to do so

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

Ouch. Goondolances.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Captain Invictus posted:

yep, I had a game where I was drowning in influence and did this, suppressed the spiritualist faction and promoted the materialist faction. after like 50 years materialists were at 75% and spiritualists were at like 5%, so it DOES eventually work somewhat, but it will take loving forever to do so
Vanilla has pops shift ethics only once in a hundred years.

Ethics attraction only reasonably affects the percentage of new pops that spawn with an ethic, which they effectively have forever.

This is clearly a bug, as the game implements features like "Indoctrination" of primitives which takes longer to change their ethics than it takes to promote them to space tech.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

If I found a planet with a primitive species on it and the game asked me to install an observation post there, can I colonize that planet?

When is a good time to attack a neighboring rival species? Like.. a) why would I when I’m focusing on building up not out right now and b) do you get something in return besides more space to possibly settle? I’m sure it’s a massive drain to rip an entire species out of an area of space before even getting to the point of colonizing all their stuff.

When i colonize a new planet do I always want to do those doctrine things that increase immigration by 100% or whatever? They’d speed up the pop completions I assume, I haven’t touched them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You don't colonize planets with primitives, but you can either use your Observation post to uplift them, or just send in the army and take possession.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

If I found a planet with a primitive species on it and the game asked me to install an observation post there, can I colonize that planet?

When is a good time to attack a neighboring rival species? Like.. a) why would I when I’m focusing on building up not out right now and b) do you get something in return besides more space to possibly settle? I’m sure it’s a massive drain to rip an entire species out of an area of space before even getting to the point of colonizing all their stuff.

When i colonize a new planet do I always want to do those doctrine things that increase immigration by 100% or whatever? They’d speed up the pop completions I assume, I haven’t touched them.

You won't be able to colonize a planet with a primitive species on it, you'll either need to leave them be or invade the world.

As for attacking your neighbors, I'd wait until you've built at least a handful of destroyers before going on the offensive. Assuming you're playing a fun empire that doesn't have to waste influence claiming individual systems (Fanatic Purifiers, Devouring Swarm, etc.) any system you take is added to your own along with any stations that have been built. As for the planets themselves you'll automatically establish a colony there after invading it and driving off that world's armies. It's really only a drain if you're constantly spending alloys to replace lost ships, otherwise you'll have fresh new worlds to take and more resources. You'll gain a huge amount of resources if you're playing a genocidal empire, either through forced labor or because you're eating them. If you aren't then you have slaves, and if slavery is outlawed you have a planet and they have to pick up and leave to be refugees somewhere.

When you colonize a world the first thing you should do is resettle pops from a larger world there, until a colony reaches 10 pops and the ship shelter can be upgraded to an administrative facility it has a -50% penalty to pop growth.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 16, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

Considering the current state of the game I think they might actually be onto something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

When you colonize a world the first thing you should do is resettle pops from a larger world there, until a colony reaches 10 pops and the ship shelter can be upgraded to an administrative facility it has a -50% penalty to pop growth.

This is true for PC, but not a thing on Console (where the max number of pops is set by planet size, capped at 25).

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah how do I move pops from a fully colonized planet to one I just colonized? Like, what are the button options? I can move them around from square to square on a planet but I don’t know about between planets? This would be insanely helpful if it was possible.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah how do I move pops from a fully colonized planet to one I just colonized? Like, what are the button options? I can move them around from square to square on a planet but I don’t know about between planets? This would be insanely helpful if it was possible.
IIRC if you select a pop you should have a resettle button appear

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Has Paradox made a peep about the Stellaris mobile game since the, uh, 'incident'?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

They said they were pulling it to redo the art work, but other than that no.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I've been out of the loop and distracted with other games for bit. What's this "incident"?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Soarer posted:

I've been out of the loop and distracted with other games for bit. What's this "incident"?
The subcontractor stole all the art assets from other games. People noticed.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

The subcontractor stole all the art assets from other games. People noticed.

It was a re-skinned with stolen art mobile game notorious for lovely mechanics and requiring tons of cash to even get anything done, let alone 'win'.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

Vanilla has pops shift ethics only once in a hundred years.

Ethics attraction only reasonably affects the percentage of new pops that spawn with an ethic, which they effectively have forever.

This is clearly a bug, as the game implements features like "Indoctrination" of primitives which takes longer to change their ethics than it takes to promote them to space tech.

This makes sense for generations having turnover in politics and ethics, but is absolute poo in actual gameplay.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Soarer posted:

There was a bunch of hype leading up to PDXcon about a Big Stellaris Announcement. Bunch of screenshots of stuff that could be read as cool additions of overhauls but probably a mobile game

First wet fart: it's a mobile game,
Second wet fart: it's a reskin of another tencent infected company's existing pay to win mobile game
Hilarious payoff: all the art is stolen, up to and including the main splash screen being art from a Halo dev's online portfolio with a pelican crudely photoshopped out but all the warthogs left in

e: oh and the developer's previous pay to win mobile game also contained stolen art, some of it from... Stellaris :v:

Read along starting here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850079&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=962#post499071169

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody have any guides for planet/sector management in the game? I'm wanting to learn how to build and specialize planets without tanking my base economy by making too many specialist buildings. Also, are sectors actually good for automation, or should I just use them for the governor buffs?