Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

stev posted:

It's almost 2020 and Nintendo still hasn't renamed Twilight_Princess_HD.wiiu to Twilight_Princess_HD.switch.

Come the gently caress on Nintendo.

Wind Waker too! The Swift Sail was such a huge game changer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ROFL Octopus posted:

Wind Waker too! The Swift Sail was such a huge game changer.

That was so good, I loved making and finding dumb miiverse drawings all over the place too, it was silly but added a fun level of interactivity and new stuff to see every time :rip:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Mipha made the Zora Armor for Link and the game specifically says that the Zora Armor is the equivalent of an engagement ring that Zora ladies give their future husbands.

Mipha dying made me way sadder than I thought it would :(

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mipha for smash

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

mipha for smash

Link already smashed

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

People are allowed to like different kinds of things.

pretty sure this is not true

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
BotW link hated being a hero and just wanted to be a dirt farmer with his fish wife but destiny ruined it all and that makes him the second best link in terms of personality.

WW Link being a weirdo goof ball genius who invents trains is still number 1.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

BotW link hated being a hero and just wanted to be a dirt farmer with his fish wife but destiny ruined it all and that makes him the second best link in terms of personality.

He was a knight

He was the most militant of all links even before DESTINY

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

We don't talk about the trains timeline

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Captain Hygiene posted:

We don't talk about the trains timeline

Trains was good

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

The Bloop posted:

He was a knight

He was the most militant of all links even before DESTINY

Didn't he just get a weird look in his eye one day when he was 12 and headed off into the lost woods to come back out with the master sword and kinda hosed up? And then he joined the knights?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Breath of the Wild Link was a prodigy fighter, beating adults in swordfights when he was like four years old. An orphan and a ward of the state, he kind of ended up being raised by the knights, and joined them as soon as he was tall enough.

Wondersmith
Feb 18, 2013
His dad was a knight wasn't he? Or was Zelda just raising a hypothetical in the memory she mentioned that in?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I mean, if your dad's a knight, the odds you'll end up an orphan and ward of the state are higher than for most people. It could be both.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the cool thing about BOTW link is that he was a prodigy knight until he got severe brain damage that turned him into a tree-eating hobo

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure he always wanted to be a tree-eating hobo, but the whole century amnesia thing just unhooks him from societal obligation, and once he kicks Ganon's rear end he goes right back to hobo-ing.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Wondersmith posted:

His dad was a knight wasn't he? Or was Zelda just raising a hypothetical in the memory she mentioned that in?

She mentions Link following in his father's footsteps before beginning her hypothetical question. So that's presumably true.

I wonder if BotW's lore savvy version of Hyrule had a tradition of naming all the blonde sons in the kingdom "Link" to be sure the reincarnated hero would be on brand when he finally appeared. Like how every princess is named Zelda, or if the hero's parents always just have a feeling on what to name him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I kind of like Hyrule Warriors Link because he's just some no name knight trainee who decides to run out with a wood sword and take on an entire army. And he won, and then he got full of himself and thought he was invincible.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

To be fair, he basically was, given how overpowered the Master Sword is in that game compared to every other weapon.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gruckles posted:

a tradition of naming all the blonde sons in the kingdom "Lonk"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Skyward sword and breath of the wild are opposites

Which is funny because a lot of BoTW's mechanics are directly descended from Skyward's Sword.

Like, the Stamina meter is the most immediate, but there also the materials system. Both cooking and upgrades were in more basic forms in that game. Dowsing developed into the Sheikah Sensor.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

But no one played Skyward Sword so that hardly counts.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
don't forget paragliding, right? wasn't that in skyward sword, though like only for like a few parts?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to try Windwaker, I think thats the only other Zelda I wanna play apart from Links Awakening. Although I'm pretty late to these games seeing as I only played through LTTP on my snes classic a couple of years ago and then I had a blast with BOTW.

The N64 games i cba with, and the other ones on the wii look kinda poo poo.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I figure he always wanted to be a tree-eating hobo, but the whole century amnesia thing just unhooks him from societal obligation, and once he kicks Ganon's rear end he goes right back to hobo-ing.

Breath of the Wild walked so Disco Elysium could run.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Lupus Rufus posted:

don't forget paragliding, right? wasn't that in skyward sword, though like only for like a few parts?

Yeah, they even call it the same, "the sailcloth", in the original BotW reveal video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypR03D1nISA&t=121s

(The entire video is pretty intriguing to rewatch when you're super familiar with the final game)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kirios posted:

But no one played Skyward Sword so that hardly counts.
Lol if you actually think a game with zelda in its name, on the wii no less, wasn't popular

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
is hyrule warriors available on teh swatch yet? i need this information for Reasons

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there's no way to know

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

there's no way to know

Historians have debated it for centuries

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

is hyrule warriors available on teh swatch yet? i need this information for Reasons

It is scheduled to be released on May 18 of 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
there is a girl link who dual wields crossbows

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Amppelix posted:

Lol if you actually think a game with zelda in its name, on the wii no less, wasn't popular

Yeah but it was popular the same way Chinese Democracy was popular.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Skyward Sword is good, but if it doesn't click for you, just move on.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Skyward Sword sold 3.5 million copies.Twilight Princess sold 8.85 million copies. Breath of the Wild has sold 16 million copies.

3.5 million isn't nothing but it's only the third best selling Zelda Wii title (the 2nd being Link's crossbow training lol)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild are my two favorite Zelda games and share a hell of a lot of design ethos and DNA.

Sort of like how OoT and ALttP do

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Skyward Sword is a good game buried underneath an ungodly amount of padding and obnoxious UI decisions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

Skyward Sword is a good game buried underneath an ungodly amount of padding and obnoxious UI decisions.

This, pretty much. I don't think Nintendo has released a main console Zelda game without a strong core of fun stuff, regardless of whatever weird decisions they put in on top of that.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

track day bro! posted:

I'd like to try Windwaker, I think thats the only other Zelda I wanna play apart from Links Awakening. Although I'm pretty late to these games seeing as I only played through LTTP on my snes classic a couple of years ago and then I had a blast with BOTW.

The N64 games i cba with, and the other ones on the wii look kinda poo poo.

The GC/Wii games were both fun. Make sure you own the games and then maybe try them on Dolphin in HD. Playing with a Switch Pro controller is an added bonus.

And really, Twilight Princess was good. No furry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The dusty brown non-overworld of the sky is garbage and ruins the entire game and then when you decide to force yourself through the lovely bullshit then you have an unskippable stealth challenge and holy poo poo Jesus Skyward Sword sucks so bad Jesus Christ