Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Trailers sell games and they don't need to be 60fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Console gamers have spoken and they have pretty consistently favored image quality and resolution over load times and framerates, which was convenient for the underpowered processors of the XB1/PS4 generation. Any time your dude is walking slowly through a tunnel not doing anything, thank a console.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I swear to god if i have to slowly shimmy through a narrow gap into a new area thats trying to hide a load when the console has an ssd im gonna be pissed.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Real hurthling! posted:

I swear to god if i have to slowly shimmy through a narrow gap into a new area thats trying to hide a load when the console has an ssd im gonna be pissed.

Prepare to be pissed imo, we're gonna get longer gaps masking a distinct lack of story to tide us over until a plot beat happens.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Only two things remain: cutscenes and lootboxes

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wheany posted:

Only two things remain: cutscenes and lootboxes
Cutscenes of lootboxes.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Loot boxes with cutscenes in them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

Console gamers have spoken and they have pretty consistently favored image quality and resolution over load times and framerates, which was convenient for the underpowered processors of the XB1/PS4 generation. Any time your dude is walking slowly through a tunnel not doing anything, thank a console.

every generation has had "underpowered" processors when you compare the hardware like for like with a pc.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
hiding load times is really not a console only problem anyway, everyone forgets the actual average pc spec is insanely bad, majority of people have potatoes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Their chips are fried

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

They're supposed to be healthier, but i could never get into baked chips, just not the same.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Stux posted:

hiding load times is really not a console only problem anyway, everyone forgets the actual average pc spec is insanely bad, majority of people have potatoes

And that's a chicken vs egg thing.

Do people have potato PCs because console ports from 10 year old platforms run fine anyway, or do consoles have 10+ year life cycles because their only competition are potato PCs? It is a mystery!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Donnerberg posted:

And that's a chicken vs egg thing.

Do people have potato PCs because console ports from 10 year old platforms run fine anyway, or do consoles have 10+ year life cycles because their only competition are potato PCs? It is a mystery!

yeah cant be that either is related to money or anything

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

I can only conclude that the PS4 has no games because sony fanboys spend all their free time in the xbox thread.

Who even know what it's like over there?

I sure don't. No reason to visit, I get all the news I need about PlayStation here in the Xbox thread.

Stux posted:

every generation has had "underpowered" processors when you compare the hardware like for like with a pc.

But why would you want a tiny console penis when you could have a massive PC one? I just don't understand how someone could bear to be that suboptimal! :ohdear:

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I still can't believe how many people don't get that not everyone wants to gently caress around with PC gaming. Xbox is good. Gamepass is good. Having 3 console makers duke it out is ultimately good for the consumer in the end.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Stux posted:

yeah cant be that either is related to money or anything

Sure, but the price has common influence on both scenarios and isn't mutually exclusive with the dilemma.

Console cycles are almost certainly going to get longer now that they're doing upgraded versions though. So, a more interesting hypothetical is if longer cycles mean people keep their old PCs longer. Then, money would really matter and you could save a lot by settling for ports that were meant to run on release-specs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Donnerberg posted:

Sure, but the price has common influence on both scenarios and isn't mutually exclusive with the dilemma.

Console cycles are almost certainly going to get longer now that they're doing upgraded versions though. So, a more interesting hypothetical is if longer cycles mean people keep their old PCs longer. Then, money would really matter and you could save a lot by settling for ports that were meant to run on release-specs.

people already keep their PCs for a long time. we just got to the point where 1080p is the most common resolution in the steam survey.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

BrownieVK posted:

I still can't believe how many people don't get that not everyone wants to gently caress around with PC gaming. Xbox is good. Gamepass is good. Having 3 console makers duke it out is ultimately good for the consumer in the end.

the only competition is a bunch of dumb sub services, ps4 and switch barely directly compete and xbox doesnt exist, and the best generations we've had have almost always been one platform being way on top which made it have a ridiculous library

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
In loving bonkers news, MLB the Show is coming to Xbox and Switch. Is this how competition is supposed to work?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrNutt posted:

In loving bonkers news, MLB the Show is coming to Xbox and Switch. Is this how competition is supposed to work?

Yes, in my opinion. MLB The Show 2021 will be the first game on other platforms. PS5, Series X, Switch, and PC, probably also Xbox One, and PS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BrownieVK posted:

They are competing to rip us off my dude.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

Yes, in my opinion. MLB The Show 2021 will be the first game on other platforms. PS5, Series X, Switch, and PC, probably also Xbox One, and PS4.

I think it's undoubtedly good for consumers. Everyone should get to play Super Baseball RPG, the grognardy stats game for grognards.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The thing with PCs is that basically everyone has laptops now, and gaming laptops are poo poo for non-gaming purposes (expensive, heavy, terrible battery life, loud fans etc.) This is even more pronounced with streaming, if you have the internet for it you're basically always better off remotely connecting to your PS4 and playing that way, a laptop good enough to run Red Dead Redemption 2 even at base PS4 levels is stupidly expensive.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

DrNutt posted:

ironically theyll let any platform holder make an mlb game but t he only ones to ever bother were sony, so because of a lack of competition and unsuccesful third party attempts theyre having to pay sony to release the show everywhere else

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If by "having to pay Sony" you mean charge them millions of dollars then sure.

MLB owns the rights. Sony pays for the privelege of using them. They just signed an extension which includes the clause that the game be made available on other platforms.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
wake me up when we get a new Tommy Lasorda baseball

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

American McGay posted:

If by "having to pay Sony" you mean charge them millions of dollars then sure.

MLB owns the rights. Sony pays for the privelege of using them. They just signed an extension which includes the clause that the game be made available on other platforms.

citation needed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They are absolutely sweetening sonys deal to get them publishing on xbox

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Real hurthling! posted:

They are competing to rip us off my dude.

capitalism is bad. hot takes in the game thread.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

DrNutt posted:

The greatest news ever reported. Lines up with my buying every other year, and no more dealing with the poo poo PS4 controller.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm also inclined to just get everything on PC since developers apparently do not understand stuff like tonemapping to save their lives. Consoles get decent HDR on their TVs but flat SDR while PC games just have to choose between two awful options.

Maybe next gen will have readable font sizes, one can dream.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 16, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Spworts licensing is weird, like how EA is mandated by FIFA to release a FIFA game on every console that comes out at least once before they're allowed to abandon development, although they're able to milk some further releases with legacy editions running on the same engine, just with team updates.

MLB's circumstances are a bit weirder still since there's demonstrably limited interest in MLB games, since Baseball is pretty much only followed at all in Canada, the US and Japan, and even then at least in the former two cases interest is pretty limited compared to basically all the other sports that EA puts out a game for. Even in baseball-mad Japan they only get the MLB game in English. Like, it gets an official Japan region release, but the game remains English-only. The Pro Yakkyu series is the Japanese baseball game. So we don't know the specifics but I could see MLB really wanting to have their only game on more consoles and asking Sony nicely in the form of a big cheque for a little porting please.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Monday_ posted:

the poo poo PS4 controller.

:yikes:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Monday_ posted:

and no more dealing with the poo poo PS4 controller.

sorry about your deformed flippers, forums user Monday_

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I vastly prefer the Xbone controller and I have totally normal hands.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The DS4 is totally fine but the Bone Controller is way betterf.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

DrNutt posted:

I have totally normal hands.

this is exactly what someone with claws for hands would say, btw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
xbox one is the top selling platform with shellfish

Intel&Sebastian