Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

JnnyThndrs posted:

Possibly, but I’m 6’ 2” with a 30 inch inseam.

I thought I was torso-biased at 5'10" and 30 inch inseam, but dang. I have the same inseam as my 5'4" wife, so I don't have to move the seat back when I drive her car. I have to adjust the rearview mirror, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah I'm 5'10“ with a 28/30 inseam also and not super fat. I figure most of these guys saying "all cars are made to fit me, the regular 6'2" normal American man" are just biased towards happening to have the right body type most car makers have in mind.

I'm a size 12 or a size 14 so not like tiny obvi and I do drop seats as low as they'll go most times but I don't think my weight has much to do with it. When I took a car control class they wanted me sitting even more upright than I normally do too

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Alright folks, I've recently paid off my Fiesta ST and honestly I just don't enjoy the thing anymore. I bought it 5 years ago and adored it for years, but as I've been getting older it's just too small, and the sporty ride isn't fun. Last year I joined the 501st Legion, so most weekends I'm lugging a suit of Stormtrooper armor around; the stuff travels in a 37 inch Husky toolbox. This "fits" in the FiST, but takes up almost the entire cargo area (with the rear seat folded down) and almost completely blocks rear visibility. Also, the other week I ran to Lowe's for a deal on a 6' Little Giant ladder. The thing just barely fit, and I got home fine. But somehow the hatchback wasn't able to close all the way, and rattled loose the license plate, which fell off when I closed the hatch. The license plate was an easy fix (one of the brackets had broken), but I'm just tired of this car.

Proposed Budget: I'll say $40k, but could probably stretch it a bit. Less would also be fine.
New or Used: Most likely New or Certified. I want something recent with a warrantee.
Body Style: Probably a wagon/crossover. I definitely need more cargo space, but don't want like a full-size SUV.
How will you be using the car?: I take transit to work, so I don't do a ton of driving. But, I think having a more luxurious car will encourage me to drive more, if only on weekends. Obviously it will need to be big enough to comfortably carry the Stormtrooper bin.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Yes, I would like to get something somewhat upmarket.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability is a big one, but honestly I won't be driving enough for MPG to matter that much. I'd also be very interested in something fairly fast/sporty, but I definitely want a smoother ride than the FiST delivers.
Location: SF Bay Area, CA. However, my GF and I are planning on relocating in the next couple years. To where, we don't know, but probably somewhere in the Western US. Snow isn't impossible, but we're not talking anything serious (GF is from near Buffalo, so that sort of climate is right out).

I'm well aware that I need to get out there and actually put the stormtrooper bin in several cars to see how it fits, but I'm just looking for somewhere to start. Before my needs changed, I never had any interest in crossovers/wagons (had my heart set on a Kia Stinger or Civic Type R for awhile, but I'm 90% sure those are too small, despite being hatchbacks), and it's a huge market so I'm kind of lost.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 11, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

One of the first vehicles that came to mind when I read your post was the Acura RDX. How do you feel about that size vehicle and about the RDX in general? Price point, upmarket brand, sporty

I think it checks a lot of your boxes.

A downmarket option would be a RAV4, a very nice car but doesn’t scream luxury or performance. Though it can be pretty quick.

I don’t recommend German cars, but if I did does the BMW X1 do anything for you?

Once we getting a better idea of your likes and dislikes we can narrow the field down.

Oh yeah, someone’s going to recommend the Mazda cuv’s. Not my cup of tea, maybe yours though.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

If you're interested in wagons that kind of budget could land you a really nice CPO 3 series wagon, or an A4 allroad or maybe a used Volvo V90 which is a really gorgeous car.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

skipdogg posted:

One of the first vehicles that came to mind when I read your post was the Acura RDX. How do you feel about that size vehicle and about the RDX in general? Price point, upmarket brand, sporty

I think it checks a lot of your boxes.

A downmarket option would be a RAV4, a very nice car but doesn’t scream luxury or performance. Though it can be pretty quick.

I don’t recommend German cars, but if I did does the BMW X1 do anything for you?

Once we getting a better idea of your likes and dislikes we can narrow the field down.

Oh yeah, someone’s going to recommend the Mazda cuv’s. Not my cup of tea, maybe yours though.

The MDX came out when I was in high school, and like half of the rich kids drove those. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, but I think it's been long enough for me to give Acura non-sedans another look.

You're right about the Rav-4, that would be a good practical choice, but I want something a bit, well, cooler.

Some friends have an X1, and they really hate it. I don't think it has any drivetrain issues, but all the small stuff (like the back hatch that opens when you wave your foot under it) didn't seem to work well, if at all. Anecdotal, sure, but it has colored my judgement of that vehicle.

Mazdas I haven't really looked at tbh, maybe I should.

flightless greeb posted:

If you're interested in wagons that kind of budget could land you a really nice CPO 3 series wagon, or an A4 allroad or maybe a used Volvo V90 which is a really gorgeous car.

Haven't really looked at the 3 series wagon, but I probably should. I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics on these, but I could get over that if everything else lined up. The only BMW I've ever driven was my first car, a 318i, so I don't really have an opinion on modern models.

Same goes for the Audi: it had never caught my eye, but this is why I made this post. Definitely going on the list.

I did look at some V60s, but hadn't considered the V90. You're right though; that thing looks like swedish perfection. Honestly of everything listed this is my favorite from a looks standpoint (I like the V60 a lot too), I'd just have to do some digging for a used one. I originally wanted to get another smaller, sporty car next, but my eventual plan was always to have a big luxury sedan. This could scratch that itch while being wholly practical.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I'll take more if you've got them, but I have enough to start with .

E: actually one question re: the Volvos. I wouldn't think I'd have any practical use for AWD; is it worth going that route for any other reason? I've never had an AWD car, so I have no idea how it compares.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 11, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The current gen X1 / X3s are loving fantastic cars,inside and out. But if one of your primary concerns is low cost-to-operate or reliability its not what I would go with.

Buy a Lexus or Acura and deal with your hangups about the japanese brands. Or, buy a RAV4 which is a great new car and save 10-15 grand over the life of the car, but you won't have a prestige brand.

Or just say gently caress it I dont care if I spend more and get a Benz/BMW/Audi and enjoy the luxury.

You gotta figure out if you priority is "reliability" or cost to own, or if having a cool brand/model is more important. Because they almost never match up.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

MB also makes some nice E Series wagons to look at but they'll also tax your budget now and into the future. I wasn't sure about recommending the smaller V60 cause it just got refreshed like last year I think so there are basically no used models and new ones are out of the stated price range.

The V90 was refreshed in 2017 so I figured one of those might be in range. A 2 year old CPO Volvo ought to be reliable for a fair amount of time to come. As regards AWD, I live in CA and have driven in snow like once ever but I've owned at least 2 cars with AWD. For me it was just about power delivery and because I don't like the way FWD feels.

I'm in a similar situation to you at a much lower budget, altho I hate SUVs and Crossovers so I've discounted them. I want a wagon that can still move and is nice to look at. I'm personally about to go after a Buick Regal TourX, made by opel, in the mid 20s to mid 30s depending on deep discount. AWD 250hp 2L turbo 4 and pretty stylish looking imo. That could be a budget choice for you if you're interested.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

flightless greeb posted:

Idk how to phrase this exactly but I have found a lot of modern cars aren't good if you have a tall torso (???) I'm "only" 5'10" but I prefer a pretty upright driving position and vehicles as common as the 2019 Toyota Tacoma have my eyeline almost even with the top of the windshield if I don't slouch.

Even my gigantic old Pontiac G8 had this issue so it seems to have little to do with the size of the vehicle. Luxury marques seem to have more adjustable seats in general and often work better for me.

Toyota Tacoma’s are ergonomic oddities in that they’re a pickup with a very short cab and they make up for it by having you practically sit on the floor with little or no seat height adjustment.

Modern cars are largely great compared to older cars because the vast majority of them have height adjustable seats, even if they’re not power.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

vincentpricesboner posted:

The current gen X1 / X3s are loving fantastic cars,inside and out.

they're not, the X3 is like 55 grand and has a lovely interior

Here are your rough criteria:
1) Stylish
2) Sporty
3) Good cargo space
4) Reliable
5) Under 40 grand

i think you can definitely get 2 of 5 and depending on which ones you pick you can get 3 of 5 and if you exclude "reliable" you can get 4 of 5. i think you may want to ruminate on what your actual priorities are

assuming you're excluding "reliable" may I introduce you to the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

edit: the CTR and Golf R are both significantly bigger inside than the FiST but the Civic rides pretty harsh. Step 1 for all owners is throw the 20" in the trash and buy a nice set of 18s.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they're not, the X3 is like 55 grand and has a lovely interior

I drove the 2019 BMW X3 M40i last month for 2 weeks. It was fantastic. I daily drive non-luxury brands but I don't know what you are comparing it to but it does not have a lovely interior at all.

You actually made me do a double take and wonder "was I just wowed by the rest of the driving experience?" so I checked a few reviews from the big car magazines and all of them said the X3's interior was good as well...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Capn Jobe posted:

Alright folks, I've recently paid off my Fiesta ST and honestly I just don't enjoy the thing anymore. I bought it 5 years ago and adored it for years, but as I've been getting older it's just too small, and the sporty ride isn't fun. Last year I joined the 501st Legion, so most weekends I'm lugging a suit of Stormtrooper armor around; the stuff travels in a 37 inch Husky toolbox. This "fits" in the FiST, but takes up almost the entire cargo area (with the rear seat folded down) and almost completely blocks rear visibility. Also, the other week I ran to Lowe's for a deal on a 6' Little Giant ladder. The thing just barely fit, and I got home fine. But somehow the hatchback wasn't able to close all the way, and rattled loose the license plate, which fell off when I closed the hatch. The license plate was an easy fix (one of the brackets had broken), but I'm just tired of this car.

Proposed Budget: I'll say $40k, but could probably stretch it a bit. Less would also be fine.
New or Used: Most likely New or Certified. I want something recent with a warrantee.
Body Style: Probably a wagon/crossover. I definitely need more cargo space, but don't want like a full-size SUV.
How will you be using the car?: I take transit to work, so I don't do a ton of driving. But, I think having a more luxurious car will encourage me to drive more, if only on weekends. Obviously it will need to be big enough to comfortably carry the Stormtrooper bin.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Yes, I would like to get something somewhat upmarket.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability is a big one, but honestly I won't be driving enough for MPG to matter that much. I'd also be very interested in something fairly fast/sporty, but I definitely want a smoother ride than the FiST delivers.
Location: SF Bay Area, CA. However, my GF and I are planning on relocating in the next couple years. To where, we don't know, but probably somewhere in the Western US. Snow isn't impossible, but we're not talking anything serious (GF is from near Buffalo, so that sort of climate is right out).

I'm well aware that I need to get out there and actually put the stormtrooper bin in several cars to see how it fits, but I'm just looking for somewhere to start. Before my needs changed, I never had any interest in crossovers/wagons (had my heart set on a Kia Stinger or Civic Type R for awhile, but I'm 90% sure those are too small, despite being hatchbacks), and it's a huge market so I'm kind of lost.

Kia Stinger almost certainly isn't too small compared to a Fiesta. Go drive one. And bring your box.

Edit: I looked it up and the Stinger has the same cargo space with the rear seats up that your fiesta does with the seats down. It's a surprisingly large car.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 13, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

vincentpricesboner posted:

I drove the 2019 BMW X3 M40i last month for 2 weeks. It was fantastic. I daily drive non-luxury brands but I don't know what you are comparing it to but it does not have a lovely interior at all.

You actually made me do a double take and wonder "was I just wowed by the rest of the driving experience?" so I checked a few reviews from the big car magazines and all of them said the X3's interior was good as well...

the quality of materials is worse than earlier BMWs and its just kind of a garish mishmash of shapes and weirdly placed controls

edit like what the gently caress is up with the entire dash trim from the screen to the passenger side door? 55 thousand dollars for a bizarre assortment of geometric shapes that don't go together

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only person I know with one of those (or a Compass, I can't remember which and there's no difference) is someone whose prior purchases include a Sebring and a PT Cruiser.

Compared to the automotive equivalent of norovirus, I suppose it's great.

He is literally Michael Scott?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Purchase update

My wife and I have been looking at a replacement vehicle for her 2010 Subaru Forester X for a while. The biggest issue (beyond a gutless 2.5EJ+4EAT combo) is that we had was that we are both tallish (6'3/6'0 wife's inseam is 37/8 inches) and we are expecting to have at least one rear facing car seat for many years in the future. This combo of tallness and rear facing car seat was extremely frustrating while shopping/driving cars.

We bought a van.

I was able to locate a 2018 Honda Odyssey EXL w/NAV&RES for a good price. One owner, 54k miles.

With my brown vinyl house and silver van, I am accepting the transcendence of caring about cool. No regrets, it's fantastic for the job we bought it to do.

It also has the most HP of any horse in my stable and the 9 speed transmission in the van makes the six speed in the BMW feel like it came out of a steam engine.

Paging suburban dad - you have company.

Shares garage w/dad wagon.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hah awesome! I only ever hear good things about those Odysseys, well besides price lol

Nice dad wagon too!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jesus Christ, why are car seats so drat big? That car seat could lose 6 inches of length and fit in a normal car if it didn't have that ridiculous headrest.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KillHour posted:

Jesus Christ, why are car seats so drat big? That car seat could lose 6 inches of length and fit in a normal car if it didn't have that ridiculous headrest.
They're adjustable so they "grow with you". The additional padding also helps protect the kids head from getting knocked about.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A fully grown adult could fit in that thing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They really should just make cool adjustable helmets for the wee trolls to wear in vehicles.

Nov 6, 2002

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure from following the evolution of car seats that in another decade they'll weigh about 100lbs, be four feet high and require a small wench to install and remove at every stop.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You'll need to buy a special car for transporting anyone under the age of 18. This car will be the size of a tank, get 2 mpg, and have a 1000 HP quad-turbo v12 but will have a 0-60 time of 20 seconds. You'll have to have the seats specially ordered to each minor child's size and shape and have the dealer change the seats out every 6 months as they grow.

And yet, your 5 year old is totally fine on a school bus with bench seats and no seatbelts.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

A fully grown adult could fit in that thing.

You jest but wait until I take a pic of the booster seat I have in the basement. It looks like a tiny person fully bolstered Recaro. That particular car seat pictured has the max safety rating for the US, Canada, and Europe. But I would like to )#@$(*@ strangle car seat engineers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ThirstyBuck posted:

You jest but wait until I take a pic of the booster seat I have in the basement. It looks like a tiny person fully bolstered Recaro. That particular car seat pictured has the max safety rating for the US, Canada, and Europe. But I would like to )#@$(*@ strangle car seat engineers.
I want to punch whomever invented the hidden seat anchors in the gullet. My wife's car has LATCH point hidden away with flip-up plastic covers and they're so much loving easier than wiggling my fat fingers in the folds of the seatback.

Also hate how you have to drive a knee into the loving seat to get it secure all the way

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

Your kid can't be THAT important. What's a little brain damage?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
What are some cars to keep in mind when looking for a cheap used standard transmission small/mid sedan? My daughter will be starting to drive in a couple years, and I want her to learn on a manual so she isn't handicapped later in life.

I'll also be learning on it since I haven't driven standards beyond pulling cars into a shop, so I figured I may as well pick one up within the next year so I can be comfortable with teaching her. Nothing ultra-small like a mini cooper since I'm too tall to fit comfortably, but I had a miata earlier, so I think just about any other car is fair game.

Since it's a first car, I'm thinking a step above beater. Engine reliability matters much more than feature reliability (like if something is notorious for the AC going out), and I don't mind dipping back into even late 90s era cars as long as the frame isn't eaten through. I'd prefer one that has decent room in the engine bay to work on things, but I probably won't have regular access to a garage for a couple years, so the car might be replaced before I can do any serious work like a timing belt.

I know I'm casting a wide net, but hopefully that description clicks with someone. Am I looking at something like a civic, or are there lesser-known models to check out?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sentient Data posted:

What are some cars to keep in mind when looking for a cheap used standard transmission small/mid sedan? My daughter will be starting to drive in a couple years, and I want her to learn on a manual so she isn't handicapped later in life.

I wouldn't worry about this part. By the time she's of car buying age, she'll have to go well out of her way to drive a standard. Heck, you have to do that now.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I feel like you're ruling out a lot of cars with that requirement. Get her a used Prius and with any luck most of her cars for the rest of her life will be electric.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
As someone who also has a daughter nearing driving age, my main things to look for are all safety related. You go down a lot in standard safety features getting a car from the 90s.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sentient Data posted:

I'll also be learning on it since I haven't driven standards beyond pulling cars into a shop, so I figured I may as well pick one up within the next year so I can be comfortable with teaching her. Nothing ultra-small like a mini cooper since I'm too tall to fit comfortably, but I had a miata earlier, so I think just about any other car is fair game.

Since it's a first car, I'm thinking a step above beater. Engine reliability matters much more than feature reliability (like if something is notorious for the AC going out), and I don't mind dipping back into even late 90s era cars as long as the frame isn't eaten through. I'd prefer one that has decent room in the engine bay to work on things, but I probably won't have regular access to a garage for a couple years, so the car might be replaced before I can do any serious work like a timing belt.

I know I'm casting a wide net, but hopefully that description clicks with someone. Am I looking at something like a civic, or are there lesser-known models to check out?

Mazda2. They're cheap so you can get something from the 2010s with things like modern airbags and ESC. They're simple as hell (they do have an electric PS system, but I haven't heard of issues). They have a fantastic manual. The engine is basically a standard under stressed NA japanese 4-cyl. I'm 6'4" and I drive one. I can't fit in any year Miata for reference.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nm posted:

Mazda2. They're cheap so you can get something from the 2010s with things like modern airbags and ESC. They're simple as hell (they do have an electric PS system, but I haven't heard of issues). They have a fantastic manual. The engine is basically a standard under stressed NA japanese 4-cyl. I'm 6'4" and I drive one. I can't fit in any year Miata for reference.

Otoh if you are in rural / southern / far north area where the majority of other cars on the road are high belt trucks/SUVs, don't get your daughter a Mazda2. Unless you don't care about her.

What state / city are you close to?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks for the better perspective, I think I'll just watch for price fluctuations on an old prius. I was actually t-boned in a gen2 when someone ran a red light, so I can personally attest to the safety rating. Is there a time of year that they tend to sell for less, or is that more of a convertible thing?

Near Louisville to answer the location question. I'll be sure to show her all the usual stuff like how to handle ice and to never trust other drivers and the importance of good tire condition

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if your daughter is starting to drive in a couple years why are you car shopping now

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Shopping is the wrong word, was just getting an idea of what to look out for. Didn't plan on pulling the trigger until around a year and a half from now unless an insane deal cropped up (and wanted to get a feel ahead of time on any seasonal price movement)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ThirstyBuck posted:

Recaro used to make child car seats but quit because the standards were too strict.

(Not exactly true; also the big child seat mfr bought the car seat line from them after they closed it and are selling them in Europe.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

seasonal movements aren't real in the used car markets, basically, other than certain niches none of which are relevant to you in this. even if you got a bangin deal right now you then own an incremental car for a year and a half which has cost to it and is just generally wasteful. my advice is to revisit this when you are actually getting ready to buy.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You dispense great advise KGJ, but this is not true. Seasonal movement is very much a thing, but in the lower end of price spectrum. Used car market perks up around the time people get their tax refund, with cars in 2-4000 range moving the most. Prices will rise and cars will sell. Similar commotion is around August - September, when kids go to school or college, and many people try to settle their life for the beginning of the school year. Bottom of the curve is around Christmas, because people have better things to spend their money on.

Also, the quintessential teenager first car market has its own migration pattern. The high mark is right after graduation and before start of new school year in September.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 16, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

please dont put your BRAND NEW DRIVER idiot teen in a two to four thousand dollar car

this is a "certain niche" which is "not relevant" because again, don't put your new driver kid in a two to four thousand dollar car

Nov 6, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

please dont put your BRAND NEW DRIVER idiot teen in a two to four thousand dollar car

this is a "certain niche" which is "not relevant" because again, don't put your new driver kid in a two to four thousand dollar car

What's the oldest car you'd recommend for a teen driver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

basically the newest safest poo poo you can afford from a mass market brand. you want good visibility, reasonable fuel economy and insurance costs, reliability, and it not to be particularly cool. stability control and all the airbags you can find. i might stay away from other safety monitoring stuff because it is possible to learn bad habits, but i'm of a mixed mindset on this. i think the ~10k price point opens up some good options in the 4-5 year old Hyundai Elantra vein.

i mean my first cars were not particularly safe but that doesn't mean it's a good idea

edit: pure age wise i think you should be shooting for no more than 4-5 years old and not significantly newer than that either because your kid is gonna gently caress it up.