Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Any tips for cleaning out my MES?
The element is already shot, so i'm thinking of a good pressure washing so it's clean when I have to dig into it to replace the hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do you guys foil/butcher paper your butts at the stall, or just let it keep on truckin?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do you guys foil/butcher paper your butts at the stall, or just let it keep on truckin?

Depends on how much time I have and how big it is, but I definitely foil them if there's any kind of time crunch. Also you can put some apple cider vinegar in there and it's nice. Gotta take it out of the foil and let it bark up a little before it's done though.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

qutius posted:

Not a bad work from home day!

:aaaaa: Why did I not think of doing this now that I have a WFH setup?

Foil. Its just so much easier and more predictable.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I just sit around like an idiot staring at my thermometer. Normally I do this for 12-16 hours.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The OP move is to sous vide the butt for 18-36 hours at 155*F then pull, pat dry, re-rub and smoke at relatively high heat to get a nice bark.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

Depends on how much time I have and how big it is, but I definitely foil them if there's any kind of time crunch. Also you can put some apple cider vinegar in there and it's nice. Gotta take it out of the foil and let it bark up a little before it's done though.

I tried apple cider and I swear it added like 4 hours to the smoke :( It was good though.

When do you take it out to unfoil it for the bark? I haven't been able to master the bark yet.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

If I'm crutching it I'll wrap it at 160 or so and take it out at like 185-195, depending on how much time I have until service, and amp up the temp. Depends on what you want your final temp to be. You're right in that all that extra surface moisture has to evaporate, and it will definitely add cook time, so take it off pretty close to where you would pull it and just let it dry out again.

Unfortunately with pork shoulder, all of them are different and can vary wildly. I've had 7lb AND 14lb butts take 11 hours, you just never know.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

This is for pulled pork, right? It’s bone-in.

I’m looking at amazingribs.com and they say plan on 1 hour and 15 minutes per pound at 225. If that’s true, then I’m looking at 6-7 hours, right? However, does that account for the stall?

Basically I’m trying to see when I’ll need to put this in the smoker so it’s guaranteed to be able to serve by 5:30 at night on Sunday.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

nwin posted:

This is for pulled pork, right? It’s bone-in.

I’m looking at amazingribs.com and they say plan on 1 hour and 15 minutes per pound at 225. If that’s true, then I’m looking at 6-7 hours, right? However, does that account for the stall?

Basically I’m trying to see when I’ll need to put this in the smoker so it’s guaranteed to be able to serve by 5:30 at night on Sunday.

It does not account for the stall. 6-7 is best case scenario. I'd say get it started at 8 am at the absolute latest and just wrap it in a towel and keep in a cooler if it gets done earlier.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

Dango Bango posted:

It does not account for the stall. 6-7 is best case scenario. I'd say get it started at 8 am at the absolute latest and just wrap it in a towel and keep in a cooler if it gets done earlier.

This, but I added emphasis. Always give yourself as much extra time as you possibly can.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ll probably wake up at 6 and throw it in. I’m confused by his rules for how much wood to add. He says start with 4 ounces and see if I need to add more or less, but then he says add 4 ounces of wood every 30 minutes for the first two hours, so is it 4 ounces total or 16 ounces total?

I’m planning on using the AMNPS with pellets-not sure if I should load the whole thing or just a row. I don’t want to over smoke this like I did the chicken.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man, my last 2 pork butts have been 6lbs each and have taken 18 and 20 hours at 225. They’re so inconsistent in my 2 whole data points.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Butts man, butts

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Assume 2hrs per lb. If I was making something I would start the smoke early as gently caress tr. Go to bed. Better that it's ready and can be wrapped an hour early than 3 hrs late...

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
This is kind of tempting, since my MES is on the fritz, thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-COS-244-Vertical-Propane-Smoker/dp/B01GFLYWVK

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I used to do overnight cooks with my WSM in the winter. No more. It sucked getting up at 3am to put more charcoal in. I was too lazy to get dressed, so here it is -10c (14f for you Yanks) and I'm in my underwear getting covered in snow blowing off the roof.

Now I just cook a bunch in the fall and freeze it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

toplitzin posted:

This is kind of tempting, since my MES is on the fritz, thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-COS-244-Vertical-Propane-Smoker/dp/B01GFLYWVK

It's my opinion that you have to dick around with the flame setting quite a bit on these.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Those that have done pulled pork with an MES/AMNPS:

Did you fill the entire AMNPS with pellets and let it run or just enough for 2-3 hours of smoke?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
The first couple of hours are when the meat absorbs the most smoke flavour. There's minimal point of smoke after that point.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Butt stuff ITT

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Butt stuff leads to pulling your pork.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

I like to foil, usually with a bit of added liquid just because that juice is great to reintroduce after pulling. I’ll wrap for a bit to get past the stall, save the liquid, and bring to finish temp unwrapped to firm the bark back up.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright, started the smoke an hour ago and things seem to be going well so far. The AMNPS is still going strong so I’m glad I haven’t had issues with it yet like a bunch of users complain about (going out, not lighting, jumping paths, etc).

I still don’t get why the manual says to fully load the pellet smoker for a pork butt, which would mean 10-12 hours of smoke, when most people say to go for about 2-3 hours. It’s been smoking for an hour so I might just pull the pellet smoker out at the 2-3 hour mark.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I use butcher paper for everything beef and pork.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

nwin posted:

Alright, started the smoke an hour ago and things seem to be going well so far. The AMNPS is still going strong so I’m glad I haven’t had issues with it yet like a bunch of users complain about (going out, not lighting, jumping paths, etc).

I still don’t get why the manual says to fully load the pellet smoker for a pork butt, which would mean 10-12 hours of smoke, when most people say to go for about 2-3 hours. It’s been smoking for an hour so I might just pull the pellet smoker out at the 2-3 hour mark.

The thing with pellets is they will absorb moisture over time which probably leads to a lot of complaints.

The fix is to sorta bake them in the oven or the microwave. You'll be surprised how much moisture comes out.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

6 hours into the cook and it’s at 135 degrees...glad I started as early as you all suggested.

I’ve got two probes in different parts-one is at 135 and the other is at 142, different brands.

I’m wondering if it hit the stall a little early since I read the stall hits at “about” 150? I’m starting to wonder if this will be done in 4-5 hours.

Once it hits the 190+ temp, should I let it rest like you do when you cook a steak?

I’m surprised the MES swings temps so much. It’s set at 220 and goes from 225-240

nwin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 15, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

nwin posted:

I'm of the opinion that pork shoulder/butt take smoke longer than other meats. As it heats up and all that fat turns to liquid it leaks to the outside and seems to absorb smoke more so than meats with less fat (so basically everything). Just a theory, but I keep smoke going when cooking butts as long as possible.

nwin posted:

Once it hits the 190+ temp, should I let it rest like you do when you cook a steak?

This is another area that can be controversial. Some folks (Meathead at AmazingRibs) think that resting does nothing. I disagree and think it's beneficial if you have the time. For one thing, as the meat cools from wherever you pulled it it continues to break down the tissue as it cools. Secondly, the hotter a piece of meat is when you cut it or start to pull it the more moisture will escape as trapped water turns to steam. Note that letting a decently sized, wrapped piece of meat cool from 200f to 140f or whatever will take quite a while so I only do it if I'm not in a hurry.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

nwin posted:

6 hours into the cook and it’s at 135 degrees...glad I started as early as you all suggested.

I’ve got two probes in different parts-one is at 135 and the other is at 142, different brands.

I’m wondering if it hit the stall a little early since I read the stall hits at “about” 150? I’m starting to wonder if this will be done in 4-5 hours.

I’m surprised the MES swings temps so much. It’s set at 220 and goes from 225-240

I don't think you've hit the stall yet. Start to check how tender its feeling around 195, but expect to take it up to about 203 before it is done. I like to rest shoulder for a bit, but not for hours and hours.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I usually hit the stall at like 160. The bulk my cooks involve staring longingly at 163 and saying to myself "come on this is getting ridiculous it's been like 10 minutes!"

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

McSpankWich posted:

I usually hit the stall at like 160. The bulk my cooks involve staring longingly at 163 and saying to myself "come on this is getting ridiculous it's been like 10 minutes!" two hours.

Fixed for me

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jesus Christ-it’s been 9 hours and it just hit 150.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Butt stuff ITT

Solid thread title

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

nwin posted:

Jesus Christ-it’s been 9 hours and it just hit 150.

Yup that's pork butt for you. I usually start mine around 4am and crutch them if I want to guarantee a reasonable dinner time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ROJO posted:

Yup that's pork butt for you. I usually start mine around 4am and crutch them if I want to guarantee a reasonable dinner time.

WHERE WERE YOU YESTERDAY!?! haha

It’s 3:30 right now. Do you think this will be done by 8? That would be 13.5 hours total.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

nwin posted:

It’s 3:30 right now. Do you think this will be done by 8? That would be 13.5 hours total.

If you just hit 150 I think 8 isnt going to happen without a crutch. But if you crutch it and it finishes early you can always keep it warm in towels in a cooler.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My only couple 6lb butts have been 18 and 20 hours. I’ve missed dinner by a ton. I’m going to start them the night prior next time. Those last 15 degrees are agony when it’s 2am and you just wanna fuckin go to bed.

On the other hand, shredding and stuffing yourself full of delicious pork at 4am after it’s rested is amazing and makes you feel like a caveman.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

nwin posted:

You're using a Masterbuilt, right? If I was in your position I'd just crank it up to 275, at least until it gets through the stall. It might get a little extra tough on the outside, but it's a pretty minor issue. I've done it before without disappointment.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You're using a Masterbuilt, right? If I was in your position I'd just crank it up to 275, at least until it gets through the stall. It might get a little extra tough on the outside, but it's a pretty minor issue. I've done it before without disappointment.

I crutched it, so I guess I’ll leave the temp as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, for brisket and pork butt I put it in at night before I go to sleep. I'll usually wake up once or twice to refill woodchips, but that's worth it to me rather than putting it in early in the morning. This is one of the reasons I am glad I have an electric smoker. I think you can do the same with the fancier pellet smokers, but I have very little interest in putting in the effort that a more traditional smoker takes.