Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Ofecks posted:

Apparently I know someone who's related to a Microsoft executive. What message(s) would you like me to pass along? :v:

call them a pervert for spying on their users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

oh, but that's silly, there must be a number of reasons a battery can fail other than just age?

Of course. That's why I wrote "tend to" in my explanation of that previous poster's joke.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Rehire the goddamn test division, please.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

SwissArmyDruid posted:

gently caress YOU AND YOUR loving OPERATING SYSTEM
KINDLY GO gently caress YOURSELF AND YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM
PLEASE GO gently caress YOURSELF AND YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM

edit: I should probably clarify: We, the powerusers of Windows, are really loving tired of half-baked features breaking our computers every other goddamn major release, through no goddamn fault of our own! 1809's deleting of user files when they were stored on not-C was the latest, most egregious example, something that absolutely would have been caught when sent through the old test procedures. We are tired of being the guinea pigs for your lovely OS. You clearly don't listen to bug reports when they're submitted to your loving bugreport forums, and anyone with two functioning braincells with regard to privacy has disabled datamining, telemetry, and metrics out the wazoo, so where, exactly, are you getting any kind of information on what needs to be fixed?

Rehire the loving test division.

Please.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
It'll be easier to convince games companies to release Linux (well, Steam Linux) games than MS rehiring QA drones.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's either that, or chop out the datamining and telemetry, and let power users slowly get lazy enough to not turn off all the reporting functions on every computer they come in contact with.

Microsoft's greed has so poisoned the idea of sending any data back to Microsoft at all, that I'm sure that any crash dumps that they do get, when they get them, are useless minidumps instead of full fat dumps.

And speaking of greed, whose loving idea was it to shove Candy Crush down my goddamn throat every time I do a fresh install of Windows?

So again, Microsoft can either rehire the test division, and repopulate it with all of the hardware and people that used to be in it, or keep limping along with poo poo feedback and angry users.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's either that, or chop out the datamining and telemetry, and let power users slowly get lazy enough to not turn off all the reporting functions on every computer they come in contact with.

Microsoft's greed has so poisoned the idea of sending any data back to Microsoft at all, that I'm sure that any crash dumps that they do get, when they get them, are useless minidumps instead of full fat dumps.

And speaking of greed, whose loving idea was it to shove Candy Crush down my goddamn throat every time I do a fresh install of Windows?

So again, Microsoft can either rehire the test division, and repopulate it with all of the hardware and people that used to be in it, or keep limping along with poo poo feedback and angry users.

The thing with poo poo feedback from IT-illiterate people is that it becomes "the feedback" and then they plan and develop against it. This creates: "based on THE FEEDBACK" people love having candy crush pre-installed!

Its usual business school style brain failures wherein the failures give themselves bonuses and everyone else just has to survive it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

maybe people do love having candy crush installed though! just like famous productivity softwares Minesweeper and Hearts

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

baka kaba posted:

maybe people do love having candy crush installed though! just like famous productivity softwares Minesweeper and Hearts

Humanity weeps as Candy Crush Saga comes preinstalled with Windows 10
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/humanity-weeps-as-candy-crush-saga-comes-pre-installed-with-windows-10/

:cry:

We know how this played out now:

quote:

There's no word on whether you'll be able to opt out of the automatic install, although it's likely King will want to get as many people as possible hooked on Candy Crush given its recent financial struggles. Earlier today, the company's shares fell as much as 14 percent in after-hours trading after it issued a profit warning.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The fact that windows 10 comes with ads and data collection (that can be turned off) is annoying, but personally as long as MS is continuing to give me infinite activations of win10 for free I can't be too mad about it.

The busted updates and parts of the OS that mysteriously stop working however are not ok. A busted product is still busted even if it's free.

FRINGE posted:

We know how this played out now:

It played out by being a complete wet fart because the only thing "pre-installed" is a link icon. It takes zero disk space and "uninstalls" in 2 seconds. I am super critical of microsoft's failures ITT but even I think the people who are still crying about Candy Crush are weird babies about it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Y'all should run this script:

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

-Download the .zip file on the main page of the github and extract the .zip file to your desired location
-Once extracted, open PowerShell (or PowerShell ISE) as an Administrator
-Enable PowerShell execution Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Force
-On the prompt, change to the directory where you extracted the files: e.g. - cd c:\temp
-Next, to run either script, enter in the following: e.g. - .\Windows10DebloaterGUI.ps1

Thing is after running this, Windows 10 is FAR more responsive. There is no weird lag accessing stuff. Just run the script and reboot and check the difference yourself. It's something else.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Klyith posted:

It played out by being a complete wet fart because the only thing "pre-installed" is a link icon. It takes zero disk space and "uninstalls" in 2 seconds. I am super critical of microsoft's failures ITT but even I think the people who are still crying about Candy Crush are weird babies about it.

There's plenty to criticise about Windows 10, but the outrage from people going "how do I uninstall the app store, I will NEVER be making use of it!" :gonk: and losing their poo poo over Windows of all things having some cheap, crappy game included has some serious old man energy, like the slightest dusting of words associated with the smartphone era would cause them to recoil like it would make them break out in a rash.

Edit: I will fully admit that they put way too many crappy apps in the default install, but that link above is a great example of someone going "what's this 'Xbox' nonsense? 'Sound recorder', who needs that? PURGE IT NOW!"

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 15, 2019

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Considering changing my system font to Arial or Helvetica because I have been using OS X exclusively for the last 10 years and hate Verdana.

Is this a horrible idea? Who cares? What does SH/SC think?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

meta² posted:

Considering changing my system font to Arial or Helvetica because I have been using OS X exclusively for the last 10 years and hate Verdana.

Is this a horrible idea? Who cares? What does SH/SC think?

How would you even do that?

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

redeyes posted:

Here is a guide I found using regedit

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/change-default-font-windows-10

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Klyith posted:

Early on it was hard to remove some of the apps completely. Twitter and Soda Saga required powershelling via package removal and their guids (this is from an old memory, so give or take). Totally beyond the "normal user". Other ones were easy to remove.

It should have never happened. There is no reason to use the owners start menu for purchased software as an enforced marketing platform. The long-list start menu is already cluttered enough without unasked for additions.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

meta² posted:

The default font hasn't been verdana since like XP, it's Segoe UI.

As much as helvatica gets worshiped by font nerds, it's really not the best screen font IMO. Use it if that makes things more comfortable for you, and if you have a real version that's got the right hinting for modern screens.

The one thing to be aware of is that since they removed the ability to change system fonts the normal way every previous windows did, some elements of the UI are a lot worse at adapting to a font that's 15 pixels tall instead of 14.

Also I was messing around with the font registry stuff a few months ago in an attempt to hide the piles of international fonts (and remove comic sans), and that was a good candidate for why I started to get error 0x800f0982 in windows updates.

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013

redeyes posted:

Winaero Tweaker

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

gently caress YOU AND YOUR loving OPERATING SYSTEM
KINDLY GO gently caress YOURSELF AND YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM
PLEASE GO gently caress YOURSELF AND YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM

Rehire the loving test division.

Please.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does anyone have an idea how to track DNS resolution requests by application? Something is trying to resolve browser.pipe.aria.microsoft.com, which CNAMEs to pipe.skype.com, and there's no Skype here. That piece of crap app does like 15 requests a minute.

I tried to track it with Wireshark, trying to get an idea by looking at the contents of the requests, but they're encrypted.

eames
May 9, 2009

Sounds like you want a software firewall. I’ve seen the name Glasswire thrown around in this context but never used it myself.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

From what I can find out, all DNS queries are routed through the DNS Client service in Windows. But apparently there's no built-in observability, which is loving stupid.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

Klyith posted:

The default font hasn't been verdana since like XP, it's Segoe UI.

As much as helvatica gets worshiped by font nerds, it's really not the best screen font IMO. Use it if that makes things more comfortable for you, and if you have a real version that's got the right hinting for modern screens.

The one thing to be aware of is that since they removed the ability to change system fonts the normal way every previous windows did, some elements of the UI are a lot worse at adapting to a font that's 15 pixels tall instead of 14.

Also I was messing around with the font registry stuff a few months ago in an attempt to hide the piles of international fonts (and remove comic sans), and that was a good candidate for why I started to get error 0x800f0982 in windows updates.

Interesting. I am going to try and play with it for a bit. I feel like thanks to 4K and modern screen resolutions you don’t need your fonts to work so hard with pixel hinting, etc.

I think I am going to play with that WinAero software so that I don’t have to get too weird with RegEdit.

Thanks for the information.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does anyone have an idea how to track DNS resolution requests by application? Something is trying to resolve browser.pipe.aria.microsoft.com, which CNAMEs to pipe.skype.com, and there's no Skype here. That piece of crap app does like 15 requests a minute.

I tried to track it with Wireshark, trying to get an idea by looking at the contents of the requests, but they're encrypted.

Sharepoint? (Possibly OneDrive? Are you running Office365 apps?)

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/SPO-site-makes-a-call-to-browser-pipe-aria-microsoft-com/td-p/829128

Highly voted as malicious (for what little thats worth)

https://www.threatcrowd.org/domain.php?domain=browser.pipe.aria.microsoft.com

And youre not alone in trying to sort out the horde or calls going out.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16856418

This privacy blacklist (Ive never used) has it blacklisted

https://www.getblackbird.net/blacklist/hosts/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I am Office 365 Personal. And OneDrive. But despite blocking that host, OneDrive seems to work just fine.

I just rebooted my machine with the DNS Client service force-disabled so that I can attempt to track things with Process Monitor, which worked fine but always pointed to the DNS Client service, but it's not doing it anymore. For now, anyway.

--edit:
Blue is blocked requests. You can tell when I rebooted.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 15, 2019

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Yet another time that my display colour profile just stopped working. And nothing that I can think of works to fix it.

How to professionals deal with this crap? I guess they just use Mac but wtf MS.

Mainly posting this to be able to look up my past posts because I have a solution there that I can't seem to memorize.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just back from fixing an older laptop with an NVidia chip. A Windows feature update removed the old 3xx series graphics driver, tried to install the newest 4xx one, which doesn't support the Geforce 410M in that thing, failed and just left it at that with the basic video driver. :golfclap:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does anyone have an idea how to track DNS resolution requests by application?

https://medium.com/@soji256/how-to-get-a-log-of-dns-queries-with-sysmon-330c62712c05

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Neat, thanks for this.

For some reason it doesn't show up nearly as gently caress DNS queries than Pi Hole is actually seeing. Seems to be partly OneDrive after all.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

baka kaba posted:

I did an image deployment of Windows 10 for the first time the other day (it installs so quickly that we usually just do an automated install and add the few third party apps after the fact) and when Sysprepping the biggest problem I had was that Candy Crush and one other pile of King's bullshit were installed. Apparently Store apps can't be registered to an account on the machine when you sysprep, even if they're free apps that are preinstalled, and it's not entirely straightforward to remove them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Our image at work has no unwanted games and is able to uninstall apps from the Settings menu as you'd expect, so go and tell your IT department to fix their lovely image.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's pretty trivial to remove that stuff, all you need to do is run remove-appxprovisionedpackage commands for them on the offline image or before profile creation.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ghostlight posted:

It's pretty trivial to remove that stuff, all you need to do is run remove-appxprovisionedpackage commands for them on the offline image or before profile creation.

It took me forever to get that down where the capture didn't gently caress up and crash due to sysprep errors. Frustrating as all hell.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

My point before was that this is pretty outside of most peoples comfort zone, and there is no reason for a purchased OS to force this garbage on you, unless you made the devils bargain on purpose with an OEMs image.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It shouldn't be outside of the comfort zone of anyone preparing images.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

It shouldn't be outside of the comfort zone of anyone preparing images.
I agree, but the discussion started a ways back about home users having the trash forced on them without them asking for it.

edit - but sysprep/oobe is sometimes more of a bitch than necessary to begin with, and fighting twitter and candy crush on top of it is obnoxious.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did Microsoft disable the boot hotkey for entering safe mode?

I'm trying to help with someone's laptop, but it gets unresponsive as soon as windows loads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

Did Microsoft disable the boot hotkey for entering safe mode?

I'm trying to help with someone's laptop, but it gets unresponsive as soon as windows loads.

That's been gone for a while, but it will boot into safe mode after a few unsuccessful boots. Here are steps on how to force safe mode:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode